Where should I work if I have social anxiety

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

Night stock, when the store is closed.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

@livingdeadman: do you have a knack for writing?

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#4 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1175 Posts

A warehouse. As a forklift operator with easy to handle product.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

A job that give you free time to explore yourself and sort out your anxiety issues.

Take walks and meditate

island_bushman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 island_bushman
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

Ok this is out of left field;

Conservation work, for example I'm off to deserted remote research island for 15 months same 6-7 people for the duration, minimal contact with the outside world. ?

Though my reasons for going are a bit different to OP just acceptable side effect.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Work with animals.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

Incidentally, I see lots of posts claiming you can make a bajillion dollars a month working from home- you should try clicking one of those links.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

places that will give you a good opinion of people, but also help you get out of your comfort zone.

do not work at any sort of chain store, you have to deal with way too many people, and way too many new-and-first-time-only customers. Work at mom-and-pop places and so forth.

I have social anxiety (moderate, not terrible) and was super awkward and shy (still am) but I poured beers at a brewery for a while and it gave me a lot of good people skills; I would not say I am a social butterfly, but I can fake it well enough now.

The alcohol helped, so work at a place you can drink at.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

OP should be aware that most jobs have some form of interaction with other people, that's just a part of life. But yeah, there are some jobs where the amount of interaction will vary as well as the type of interaction.

It's better to work on getting used to working with and being around others. There will be stressors no matter what. Stocking/unloading/backroom/non-management positions in retail are generally better for people who aren't super amazing with customer service.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6821 Posts

I feel your pain. I can interact with people when needed but prolonged social interaction (especially formal) quickly drains me. Don't even get me started with interacting with bosses and supervisors.

Janitor doesn't seem to be a bad job, despite the stigma
Any of the trades could be an option (electrician, plumber). You still have to interact with people, but you're essentially paid by using your hands.

I hope to make a living by writing (copywriting, written content, novel) mainly because I want to spend a lot of time working by myself.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

places that will give you a good opinion of people, but also help you get out of your comfort zone.

do not work at any sort of chain store, you have to deal with way too many people, and way too many new-and-first-time-only customers. Work at mom-and-pop places and so forth.

I have social anxiety (moderate, not terrible) and was super awkward and shy (still am) but I poured beers at a brewery for a while and it gave me a lot of good people skills; I would not say I am a social butterfly, but I can fake it well enough now.

I think this is pretty good advice. Instead of avoiding interaction you should be exposing yourself to it a little bit at a time. Living with social interaction, however small it may be, is much better and easier than living without.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Big time serious answer here:

Trucking

You not only don't interact with a lot of people on a daily basis (you talk to a dispatcher through a satellite messenger system, and maybe have to talk to a shipper/receiver every couple days) but you don't have supervisors or managers breathing down your neck telling you how to do your job.

You are on your own, by yourself in the truck for anywhere from 1-3 weeks at a time, and the one word that describes trucking best is "independence".

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Do part time delivery work.

You are on your own most of the time and usually people are happy and grateful to see you with their things so it helps to ease you in with meeting new people every day.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Get a job as a cashier. Force yourself to learn how to talk to people. You will get the hang of it. Grow out of your shell.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#16 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts
@SOedipus said:

Night stock, when the store is closed.

Nailed it. I honestly can't think of anything better.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#17 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

If you can handle physical work then look into something like a package handler if you have little to no experience. That was my first job and I stuck with it for over a year. No interacting with customers but some communication required with co-workers, which wasn't all that bad even for me and my horrible social anxiety.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3473 Posts

Work at home.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17854 Posts

No one said 'morgue'? I'm disappointed in you people. OT, you let me down.

VRex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VRex7
Member since 2017 • 49 Posts

I have anxiety and I've now been working from home for the last two years and it's been great! I get to control my interactions with people and talking with my team is all done via Slack or calls. I do video game marketing and PR, so I'd recommend looking for a remote job - writing, data entry, social media management are all types of jobs that can be done from home.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I think this is pretty good advice. Instead of avoiding interaction you should be exposing yourself to it a little bit at a time. Living with social interaction, however small it may be, is much better and easier than living without.

careful with the booze..sometimes you don't do things for a reason and though alcohol can motivate you the result can be less than spectacular

i agree you should try to incorporate some social interaction, but you need to figure out of its just particular issues that need to be worked out or if that is actually just the type of person you are..

extroverts will undoubtedly just insist that you are in a shell or just need to be forced to do something etc..they can't really think out of their mindset or seriously consider that not everyone is like them

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

@livingdeadman said:
@stuff238 said:

Get a job as a cashier. Force yourself to learn how to talk to people. You will get the hang of it. Grow out of your shell.

I think I'll try this thanks. But are cash registers hard to use, I imagine I would get major anxiety fumbling around with one of these.

you can be a "cashier" at other type of jobs where you do a bit more than just go through hundreds of people a day. Maybe be a cashier at a smaller store, where you need to actually talk to people in the store about the product. Idunno.

As for the machine, it does everything for you. Every now and then you'll get someone that gives you 2.11 for something that cost 1.86 because he thinks it's easier for you to just give him .25 back (in the US, that's a single quarter) and you're like "wait, what?" and then he will sometimes give you shit because A.) you're young B.) he is old and C.) because he is old, and you are young, he probably thinks you can't do math when really you're just trying to understand the logic of why he gave you more than 2.00.

*shrug*

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

No one said 'morgue'? I'm disappointed in you people. OT, you let me down.

don't think it is wise to have tc being surrounded by dead bodies. could drive is anxiety through the roof

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Bumping to reclaim the first page of OT from the bump spammers.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

Customer Service at Wal-Mart.

@livingdeadman said:

What's a good place to work at that has minimal social interaction?

Grocery store?

thanks

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

maybe become a truck driver. You're mostly on the road and you don't have to deal with people. Pay is supposed to good too from what I heard. At comparing that to a ups truck driver