Where do you stand on Abortion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shehero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shehero
Member since 2005 • 956 Posts

Okay so I'm doing this project in my biology II class and I need a somestatistic. the topic is Fetus Rights and we're concentration onAbortion. I'm lookingat it from a sociologist's point of view so I want to know where you stand GS. Yay or Nay on Abortion? please vote in the poll. Thanks!

-Topic Title edited. -Gamecamiller

swatsickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 swatsickle
Member since 2009 • 627 Posts

I really have no opinion, although if it were banned, I would probably rejoice in my head.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I think its a necessary evil, until the social problems which cause (indirectly of course) unwanted pregnancies and are responsible for the immaturity both on sexual and emotional level of many adults, have been dealt with at some degree.

Examples: A lacking educational system bound by social taboos, insecure about their children's sexuality parents etc etc

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

I picked pro life; it sounds cool to be a pro at life. No, serious, abortion is bad.

Phantom_--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phantom_--
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

I think its a necessary evil, until the social problems which cause (indirectly of course) unwanted pregnancies and are responsible for the immaturity both on sexual and emotional level of many adults, have been dealt with at some degree.

Examples: A lacking educational system bound by social taboos, insecure about their children's sexuality parents etc etc

Teenaged

Saying something is "a necessary evil" is a VERY bad road to take. You could say torturing American citizens that are suspected terrorists is a "necessary evil" for the greater good. If you think that way, you can basically rationalize anything. The end is not justified by the means. Stalin and Hitler used this very idea to rationalize the murder of millions of people, because they believed that in the end, their country would be a better place without certain people in it.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Phantom_--

Saying something is "a necessary evil" is a VERY bad road to take. You could say torturing American citizens that are suspected terrorists is a "necessary evil" for the greater good. If you think that way, you can basically rationalize anything. The end is not justified by the means. Stalin and Hitler used this very idea to rationalize the murder of millions of people, because they believed that in the end, their country would be a better place without certain people in it.

Well to be honest both Stalin and Hitler pretty much equated the good of their respective countries to what was good for themselves. There was a certain degree of Machiavellian politics to their murders but also a lot of paranoia and misguided suspicion. I see what you're getting at but the example is not perfect. :P As for abortion, I think it should be legal in cases where the mother's life is in danger or such (rape victims etc.) but should be used very little outside of that.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

[QUOTE="Phantom_--"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

inoperativeRS

Well to be honest both Stalin and Hitler pretty much equated the good of their respective countries to what was good for themselves. There was a certain degree of Machiavellian politics to their murders but also a lot of paranoia and misguided suspicion. I see what you're getting at but the example is not perfect. :P As for abortion, I think it should be legal in cases where the mother's life is in danger or such (rape victims etc.) but should be used very little outside of that.

Yeah, I guess killing off entire races does have some good in it after all then.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

It's one thing if you can't take care of the child, but to not even give it a chance to live is just selfish. There's always adoption agencies.

escapeoftheape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 escapeoftheape
Member since 2007 • 1576 Posts

It's one thing if you can't take care of the child, but to not even give it a chance to live is just selfish. There's always adoption agencies.

jubino
what if the child does not have any skin? id never, ever want to put anyone through such misery, so though abortion is bad, it still should be legal.
jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts
[QUOTE="jubino"]

escapeoftheape
what if the child does not have any skin? id never, ever want to put anyone through such misery, so though abortion is bad, it still should be legal.

How would you know if it doesn't have skin unless it's born? Unless the child won't actually live, which not having skin probably wouldn't turn out so well, it should at least be given a chance.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I'm very much against it. There are much better alternatives like: 1. Put it up for adoption. 2. Use protection. 3. Don't go sleeping around!
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Phantom_--

Well I dont know how else to put it, although I hate those equalizations, mind you.

The point is that I wouldnt condemn a woman (or if she is with a man as a couple) to keep the child despite her (/them) not wanting to, which would create an unhealthy family environment.

I am all for any other rational proposed alternative. I have stated before and sorry I didnt take the time to add it, that I am all for an organisation that would be there to "take" the babies from mothers who had unwanted pregnancy (anonymously of course) and "give" those babies for adoption. I think this is the best soltuion for now. But as much as you have seen such a feat even being attempted that much have I.

The point is that I am all for avoiding abortion, but if we are to do that we might as well first try to create suitable conditions. Those conditions include the examples I gave in my first post and what I mentioned this previous paragraph.

Avatar image for monotonbewegung
monotonbewegung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 monotonbewegung
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts

Have any of you read this book called Freakonomics? In it, the authors demonstrate thruogh a rather plausible theory how legalizing abortion helps reduce the crime rate. They prove that legalizing abortion reduces the general pool of criminals (reduces the amount of uneducated kids who can't get decent jobs and have to settle with crime), and thus reducing the crime rate as whole. The guys who voted for pro-life should probably check that book out. Apart from the whole abortion thing, the book features a lot more awesome stuff, it's definately worth reading.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Murder is never right; no matter who is being murdered.
deathskitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deathskitten
Member since 2005 • 699 Posts

I'm pro-choice. If abortion was illegal then I think women would still have them but it would be in 'back-street clinics' meaning potentially dangerous and life-threatening treatment from dodgy doctors. I do however think that anyone who wants an abortion should have to have counselling not just to deal with the emotional aftermath and guilt from an abortion but also to educate the women on other choices such as carrying the child to full-term and giving it up for adoption, also the women (and their partners) should be made to attend some kind of sex education class to learn about contreception so that this never happens again.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

I'm pro-life. I despise abortion.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="harashawn"] Murder is never right; no matter who is being murdered.

So murdering Hitler so the Holocaust wouldn't happen, thus saving millions of innocent lives, would be wrong?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="harashawn"] Murder is never right; no matter who is being murdered. Funky_Llama
So murdering Hitler so the Holocaust wouldn't happen, thus saving millions of innocent lives, would be wrong?

Hitler may well have murdered several thousand people who would have turned out worse than him. :|

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
So murdering Hitler so the Holocaust wouldn't happen, thus saving millions of innocent lives, would be wrong?Funky_Llama
That's what robots are for. It can't be murder if robots do it.
shehero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shehero
Thank you all so much for participating in this survey my biology teacher thought it was really neat!
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

I'm all for abortion. If the kids aren't wanted, or can't be cared for, then I don't see any reason why people would force them to be born into relateively terrible/worse-off lives.

*edit* What about a fetus that is going to receive a genetic disabity? I'd argue that it would be far more 'good' to abort it and try to create a healthier fetus, rather than letting it be born and making it (and its parents) live through the countless physical, psychological, and economic hardships associated with such disabilities.

omfg_its_dally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omfg_its_dally
Member since 2006 • 8068 Posts
I'm pro-life. No exceptions.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="harashawn"] Murder is never right; no matter who is being murdered. Theokhoth

Hitler may well have murdered several thousand people who would have turned out worse than him. :|

And millions upon millions who would have turned out better.
69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
I think I agree with it, only in certain circumstances though.
shehero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shehero
Again thanks you guys I quoted: deathskitten, jubino, harashawn, Head_of_games, Planeforger, and Teenaged thanks again you guys!
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Your sampling method is highly dubious :(
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]So murdering Hitler so the Holocaust wouldn't happen, thus saving millions of innocent lives, would be wrong?Funky_Llama

So if he murdered thousands that would have been worse than him, and millions that would have been better, he killed millions but saved hundreds of millions.:|

This is why going "Well, if this happened instead of that, things would be better" is an invalid statement. . . .

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

So if he murdered thousands that would have been worse than him, and millions that would have been better, he killed millions but saved hundreds of millions.:|

This is why going "Well, if this happened instead of that, things would be better" is an invalid statement. . . .

Oh, you mean that he could have killed thousands of dictators? Heh. Like hell. If you take a sample of 13,000,000 people, chances are almost certainly that a grand total of none of them will even begin to rival Hitler in terms of people killed.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Sperm and oocytes are considered parts of human beings. However, upon fertilization, these cease to be sperm and occytes; instead, it is a genetically unique individual.

I'm all for abortion. If the kids aren't wanted, or can't be cared for, then I don't see any reason why people would force them to be born into relateively terrible/worse-off lives.

Planeforger
If people don't want children, then they could not have sex. If a woman is impregnated on accident, she can still put the baby up for adoption.

*edit* What about a fetus that is going to receive a genetic disabity? I'd argue that it would be far more 'good' to abort it and try to create a healthier fetus, rather than letting it be born and making it (and its parents) live through the countless physical, psychological, and economic hardships associated with such disabilities.

Planeforger
Not many people would want to kill an adult with a genetic ability, so why people allow this false exception clause for when the individual is still in the fetus is simply false.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]And millions upon millions who would have turned out better.Funky_Llama

Oh, you mean that he could have killed thousands of dictators? Heh. Like hell. If you take a sample of 13,000,000 people, chances are almost certainly that a grand total of none of them will even begin to rival Hitler in terms of people killed.

And yet, Hitler existed. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I almost posted something that would've resulted in a suspension! I forgot about how careful one must be here. Anyway, I'm pro-choice, though I wouldn't want my kid aborted.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Theokhoth

Sperm and oocytes are considered parts of human beings. However, upon fertilization, these cease to be sperm and occytes; instead, it is a genetically unique individual. [QUOTE="Planeforger"]

Genetic_Code

If people don't want children, then they could not have sex. If a woman is impregnated on accident, she can still put the baby up for adoption.

Hell, they don't even need to do that. Leave the kid at the hospital; most states allow that now.

Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]I almost posted something that would've resulted in a suspension! I forgot about how careful one must be here. Anyway, I'm pro-choice, though I wouldn't want my kid aborted.

That happens to me once a day, hahaha. The Escapist is where I go when I want to be offensive and crass...
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

And yet, Hitler existed. ;)

Ehm... yes...?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="YourChaosIsntMe"][QUOTE="Jandurin"]I almost posted something that would've resulted in a suspension! I forgot about how careful one must be here. Anyway, I'm pro-choice, though I wouldn't want my kid aborted.

That happens to me once a day, hahaha. The Escapist is where I go when I want to be offensive and crass...

hmmmmm, I made an account at the escapist :P
fracot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 fracot
Member since 2006 • 1278 Posts

I am for abortion.