When will humanity move beyond religion and superstition?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

At one point in history, humans believed the sun, the planets, weather, natural phenomenon, etc. were the result of gods or supernatural beings. People created gods to explain why these events occurred. As science evolved, humans were able to explain these natural occurrences or objects.

The belief in the abrahamic god still stands. Muslims, christians and jews still believe 'god' created the heavens and the Earth. The main basis of their case consists of "something cannot come from nothing, god must have created the universe".

When do you think this archaic belief system will cease to exist? Will science need to prove how the universe began? Its already explained rainbows, rain, reproduction, etc.

Thoughts? My family tells me that I need Jesus, yet they are poor and starving and I am not.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10582 Posts

Probably never. Even things as simple as how electromagnetic radiation work seem to scramble the brains of many within the talking ape race, hence all that 5G coronavirus nonsense. As understanding of reality get even more advanced and complicated, there will always be people who would rather cook up simplistic fairy tales that make sense to them instead of simply admitting that they're out of their depths and try to learn something.

A knowledge gap can just be a knowledge gap. We can fill that gap later, we don't need some magic sky wizard to act as a placeholder.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58824 Posts

When we become a big hive mind like the Borg and effectively have no individuality left?

Sure, why not.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Hopefully never.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Never.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

Not soon enough.

Religion might be on the decline overall, but you sure could not tell in the US. Plus the idea of atheists still confuses and repulses a good amount of people; you ask them if they'd vote for an atheist presidential candidate, most people would have issues with that.

@plageus900 said:

Thoughts? My family tells me that I need Jesus, yet they are poor and starving and I am not.

This is why you don't need Jesus. Because you don't need anything. And if you did, you could rely on yourself to get it.

@uninspiredcup said:

When we become a big hive mind like the Borg and effectively have no individuality left?

Sure, why not.

Why is that the only option? Because society can't be areligious unless it is to an extreme?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25
@vfighter said:

Hopefully never.

Why hopefully?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25: Assuming we don't snuff ourselves out (which is far more likely), I don't see why this wouldn't be a likely outcome.

Hive minds coming to together to achieve far more with far greater efficiency than ever possible divided. A different kind of thinking where everyone's thoughts are shared at once, acting as a single super entity.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrbojangles25

@uninspiredcup said:

@mrbojangles25: Assuming we don't snuff ourselves out (which is far more likely), I don't see why this wouldn't be a likely outcome.

Hive minds coming to together to achieve far more with far greater efficiency than ever possible divided. A different kind of thinking where everyone's thoughts are shared at once, acting as a single super entity.

Well I tend to think of humanity as god, it'd be nice if we actually came together and actually became one.

Sometimes I feel like the only one that thinks a hive mind existence would not be all bad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup

Remember that story about Christopher Columbus tricking the indigenous people and wonder if in the future (again if we aren't snuffed) if we'd still do that, but on a planet-wide-scale to get what we want via religious engineering. i.e. Dune

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23876 Posts

Not at all.

Ultimately, our superstitious thinking is a byproduct of our evolutionary past. And we cannot escape our innate biological intuitions, ones that helped our ancestors not get eaten by predators.

Advances in physics will not change this. Because not only does this allow for more phenomenon for superstitious thinking to attach itself on. But your average person is completely ignorant in any physics outside of classical mechanics outside of some familiarity with some terms, and even in classical mechanics, most have very limited knowledge/understanding.

Just look at the New Age movement.

Just look at all the nonsense flowing around in regards to COVID-19.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Not going to happen.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127500 Posts

Give it another 500 years...

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

Ghost and magic exist.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

We already know enough about the universe and nature to effectively rule out any religious explanation, but people continue to believe in a God because their belief is based on faith and not observable facts.

I don't think our level of understanding alone will ever put an end to religious belief, it's human nature that needs to change for that to happen.

There's also the idea that the more we know, the greater the boarder is between the known and unknown. There will always be unknowns that people with supernatural beliefs can latch on to.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Never. It's something that'll always be here.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

500 years.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Tuesday, it will happen on Tuesday.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

As long as there is fear, there will be religion. For as much bad which comes from religion, it also brings millions comfort and something to help them keep going and for that reason I can never see it disappearing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

I have a better question...…...when will we learn to be tolerant? Doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 plageus900

@LJS9502_basic: Sure...but what does tolerance have to do with religious beliefs fading out as humans become more enlightened?

I'm tolerant of my dingbat, Trump-supporting family. That doesnt mean they arent insane.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

Never. In fact don't be surprised if there's a surge at some point. It's actually quite simple. Most humans can't stand the thought of an omnipresent being not existing. A deity that is looking out for them during bad times - in addition to contemplating that they'll never see someone they love in the afterlife. Plus being highly religious gives you a sense of community and belonging, which includes a sense of superiority because your belief according to what you're taught is the only right way to achieve a positive outcome for what comes after death.

Religion gives you a sense of security. I don't blame people though, when you have a crazy world like this, who can you turn to? Unless you accept reality and realize that it's part of our existence and that you don't really serve a higher purpose other than to be a piece of poop for the worms.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

@plageus900 said:

@LJS9502_basic: Sure...but what does tolerance have to do with religious beliefs fading out as humans become more enlightened?

I'm tolerant of my dingbat, Trump-supporting family. That doesnt mean they arent insane.

Apparently some religious lack enlightenment as well...……..

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

When greed is no longer a part of it. Never.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I give it 200 years.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

There's probably an innate belief present in a subset of our population due to evolutionary characteristics, so never. However, over time we'll probably become less religious due to changes in upbringing and increased knowledge. The best killer of religion is education and learning. I'm hopeful that less and less of us will continue to be religious over time.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan: Yes nobody with any sort of intelligence can also be religious.

gootall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gootall
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts
@virusvaccine21 said:

Never. In fact don't be surprised if there's a surge at some point. It's actually quite simple. Most humans can't stand the thought of an omnipresent being not existing. A deity that is looking out for them during bad times - in addition to contemplating that they'll never see someone they love in the afterlife. Plus being highly religious gives you a sense of community and belonging, which includes a sense of superiority because your belief according to what you're taught is the only right way to achieve a positive outcome for what comes after death.

Religion gives you a sense of security. I don't blame people though, when you have a crazy world like this, who can you turn to? Unless you accept reality and realize that it's part of our existence and that you don't really serve a higher purpose other than to be a piece of poop for the worms.

I highly doubt that is the reason for majority of religious people.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

@gootall said:
@virusvaccine21 said:

Then what is it? Because the only thing I mainly hear for example Christians is eternal salvation - the fear of the afterlife. Same with Muslims and Hindus. They also pray if things aren't going their way, as if this being is going to magically solve their problem.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17854 Posts
@virusvaccine21 said:

They also pray if things aren't going their way, as if this being is going to magically solve their problem.

Two hands working accomplishes far more than a million hands praying.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@vfighter said:

@HoolaHoopMan: Yes nobody with any sort of intelligence can also be religious.

Not what I said, but keep draping yourself in pity if that makes you feel better.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

They won't.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23876 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I have a better question...…...when will we learn to be tolerant? Doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

As long as the leading voices continue to be the most tribalistic ones. We wont see any progress on that part.

gootall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gootall
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

@virusvaccine21 said:
@gootall said:
@virusvaccine21 said:

Then what is it? Because the only thing I mainly hear for example Christians is eternal salvation - the fear of the afterlife. Same with Muslims and Hindus. They also pray if things aren't going their way, as if this being is going to magically solve their problem.

If you only listen to fundamentalists or know of religious people through media. That is the view that people are familiar with. Much easier to denigrate religious people if you oversimplify their beliefs.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 302 Posts

all I gotta say is... F*** World War 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Not until.

Loading Video...

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

You ever see a televised Christian sermon or attended one? They generally end the service by asking if anyone wants to come to the front and receive the Holy Spirit. Typically what you'll see is the pastor walk up and down a line of people standing there and touch them on the forhead. People will react differently to this. Now i've seen this countless times myself from childhood and it does look somewhat ridiculous from an outside perspective, i definitely didnt take it very seriously. Until one day i was laid out on the floor, unable to move. It is unfortunately not something that can be publicly proven or shown to another person. Its only possible through prayer on an individual basis. I suspect a good amount of Christians dont actually get direct communication from God in this manner and is why they dont discuss it but for me, this is when Christian belief stopped being blind faith and became fact.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2354 Posts

@amillionhp said:

You ever see a televised Christian sermon or attended one? They generally end the service by asking if anyone wants to come to the front and receive the Holy Spirit. Typically what you'll see is the pastor walk up and down a line of people standing there and touch them on the forhead. People will react differently to this. Now i've seen this countless times myself from childhood and it does look somewhat ridiculous from an outside perspective, i definitely didnt take it very seriously. Until one day i was laid out on the floor, unable to move. It is unfortunately not something that can be publicly proven or shown to another person. Its only possible through prayer on an individual basis. I suspect a good amount of Christians dont actually get direct communication from God in this manner and is why they dont discuss it but for me, this is when Christian belief stopped being blind faith and became fact.

Are you saying christianity mythology became fact for you?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

As a child I went to catholic school. I remember thinking ‘no one believes this crap, right? (thinking of my classmates as none of them seemed religious by their actions). I figured when I got older, religion would be gone because we were smarter than our elders. Man, was I wrong. Christianity is stronger then ever, muslims have come by the boatload and none of them seem to be anti religion (which I found more odd because I thought they left backwards theocracies to escape that nonsense).

To come to peace with my incorrect assumptions, I’ve just accepted that some people are simply dumb. And by some, I mean a hell of a lot.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 323 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Christianity is stronger then ever

Christianity is actually on the decline thank god. I wish Islam was also dying as well.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Fitting that someone with a Patrick Bateman avatar would post such an arrogant and pompous topic. Little does TC know that anyone with half a brain can see the true insecurity and need for validation that we know they crave. Huge tool alert!

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 plageus900

@senses_fail_06 said:

Fitting that someone with a Patrick Bateman avatar would post such an arrogant and pompous topic. Little does TC know that anyone with half a brain can see the true insecurity and need for validation that we know they crave. Huge tool alert!

Is that really the best you've got?

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2354 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

As a child I went to catholic school. I remember thinking ‘no one believes this crap, right? (thinking of my classmates as none of them seemed religious by their actions). I figured when I got older, religion would be gone because we were smarter than our elders. Man, was I wrong. Christianity is stronger then ever, muslims have come by the boatload and none of them seem to be anti religion (which I found more odd because I thought they left backwards theocracies to escape that nonsense).

To come to peace with my incorrect assumptions, I’ve just accepted that some people are simply dumb. And by some, I mean a hell of a lot.

christianity stronger than ever where?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shellcase86
@THUMPTABLE said:
@Sevenizz said:

christianity stronger than ever where?

No where. He doesn't seem to be up-t-date on the general trends with the Christian population.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I can understand leaving behind things like prosperity gospel of American evangelism, but there is an innate benefit to mythology and mystery and how the human mind processes it, at least theoretically. And so long as there is a class system in place, those higher up will need a means to control those beneath, and religion plays the perfect role for that.

bronzeheart92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bronzeheart92
Member since 2017 • 129 Posts

That I'm sure will happen sooner or later. We just have to convince people to live in the now.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17854 Posts

Soon. They are self-eradicating.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/california-church-pastors-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 shellcase86

You'll continue to see a decline, but it's not going to go away.

chronoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 chronoboy
Member since 2005 • 448 Posts

Religion is the backbone of humanity. And superstition points to expanded awareness. I’m back on these forums fourteen years later.