Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 2905 Posts

Someone donated a two buckets of oysters to the firehouse.

So...

Obviously I can google what to do but for entertainment sake, I'm posting this here. So OT, what can I do with two buckets of oysters? And how can I preserve them if I can't use them immediately?

To add on this topic, has anyone donated a bunch of food items to where you work/volunteer? If so, what did you do with it?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 997 Posts

Set them free. It will make for one hell of an anecdote to tell all the other oysters when they get back!

sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57102 Posts

Your girlfriend will love you. Eat up those oysters.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2790 Posts

I worked at a bar long ago shucking oysters and other raw seafood selections.

Oysters are tricky because they can go bad very easy and you can get VERY sick if you eat bad oysters. One of the most obvious ways to detect a bad oyster is by its smell. If it smells bad, it most likely is bad. If it has black grime inside of it, it is bad. If the oyster is already cracked open, it is bad.

What you should do upon getting oysters is ice them as soon as possible. If you don't have experience shucking oysters, take all the precautions before doing so, or find someone that knows how to do it, because slipping your hands while doing it can result in a bad injury.

Just take all the precautions and make sure they are still fresh.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45040 Posts

For the sake of general food safety, you should note the following:

• What is the source of the oysters? It should be from a certified oyster farm or source
  • Were they cold and are they still kept cold? The answer should be yes
  • When were they harvested (how fresh are they?)? Very fresh
  • Are any oysters open or cracked? Throw them out! Yes, toss them.

You generally want to use fresh oysters within 48 hours, otherwise you risk very bad food poisoning, perhaps even hospitalization. Keep them stored cold/on-ice in an open container (if they are fresh, they are alive, and need oxygen to breath); a lot of shellfish comes in mesh bags for this reason.

As for what you can do with them? LOTS!

• Shuck them, then throw oysters on the half shell on a charcoal BBQ! Grilled oysters are so good; they cook in their own juices. Then you can spoon on some butter and green onions, cocktail sauce, or just a squeeze of lemon. It's actually kind of fun hosting an oyster BBQ because you just grill all the oysters and then the guests can pick what sauces they put on them.
  • Oysters Rockafeller; baked oysters with spinach, cheese, and breadcrumbs! MMMMMMM!
  • Open 'em up and slurp them down raw with some lemon or hot sauce.
Loading Video...

*Hah! I just saw this was posted 13 days ago. Hopefully you found a good use for them @drunk_pi

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 38 Posts

@drunk_pi: Oysters hehehehehe