When did it become "Ex-peer-i-ment"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Byshop (19608 posts) -

I've been noticing this more and more, lately. I used to think it was a regional thing in the US, although I wasn't really clear what region it was. I don't think this is a "me" thing. Every dictionary I've checked has the word "experiment" pronounced "ex-pear-ih-ment".

How do you say this word?

-Byshop

#2 Edited by lamprey263 (36212 posts) -

what's wrong, the ex-PEER-i-ment sounding part, as in spear, peer, tear, fear, beer? how is is supposed to be said like, pear fare/fair, bare/bear?

anyhow, I once had two of my friends say I say "theater" funny, I was like "what?" and I said well you tell me how I'm saying it and how I'm supposed to and I couldn't notice any difference, maybe they were fucking with me

#3 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

The 17th.

#4 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

I have not noticed any changes, but it might be related to accents.

ikˈsperəmənt

Loading Video...

#5 Posted by dave123321 (35400 posts) -

@thegerg: 13th friend

#6 Edited by tocool340 (21386 posts) -

Cultural thing I'd assume. Same reason when many folks in the southern states pronounce "here" or "hear" as "her" or "hurr" instead of pronouncing it similar to "spear", "dear", or "fear"....

Accents may also affect on the way its said and heard...

Never mind. BranKetra pretty much said the same thing...

#7 Edited by lamprey263 (36212 posts) -

@Byshop: so, which way is it that you pronounce it out of curiosity?

#8 Posted by Byshop (19608 posts) -

Sorry I wasn't clear, but I pronounce it "ex-pear-ih-ment". Nothing about the spelling would suggest a hard vowel sound and I had never heard it the other way more and more lately. Yeah, I get that different accents may say it differently, but what specifically has been weirding me out is that I've been noticing more and more examples of people who speak with what I would otherwise consider relatively "unaccented" English say -this- one word in a way that sounds wrong to me. Like here (timestamped YT link).

https://youtu.be/Z7AYpTO08zo?t=105

-Byshop

#9 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44419 posts) -

Where do you live (country-/region-wise)? It might be an accent or dialect thing.

I personally have never heard anyone say it that way, but there are a lot of stupid people out there that say things such as:

pacifically, instead of specifically
nuc-you-leer, instead of nu-clear
strateegery, instead of strategy (sorry just came off an anti-Bush rant)...

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (98044 posts) -

That pronunciation reminds me of the movie Fargo.

I say pear.

#11 Posted by Byshop (19608 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Where do you live (country-/region-wise)? It might be an accent or dialect thing.

I personally have never heard anyone say it that way, but there are a lot of stupid people out there that say things such as:

pacifically, instead of specifically

nuc-you-leer, instead of nu-clear

strateegery, instead of strategy (sorry just came off an anti-Bush rant)...

Some words can be pronounced in more ways than one, but in each of those examples they are just wrong. I would call them more regional slang, whereas with words like "tomato", "data", "route", "kilometer", etc all have more than one accepted pronounciation that's in most English dictionaries.

I've lived in Boulder, Colorado for most of my life but I'm originally from New York. My "accent" would be consistent with the Denver Metropolotan area, which as far as the US goes is one of the more "unaccented" examples of American English (or so I've been told). People from states like Colorado do not have a specific way of speaking that identifies them as being from Colorado, depending on how urban or rural the area is. I have a few YT videos are are narrated, so if you're looking for an example of how I speak you can listen to a minute of this:

https://youtu.be/NU_69xi0JEA?t=70

Unaccented does not necessarily mean un-affected. Speaking without intonation and personal idiosyncrasies tends to leave the speaker sounding robotic or "stuffy".

-Byshop

#12 Posted by Catalli (3451 posts) -

I've never ever heard "ex-peer-i-ment". I've always said and heard "pear".

#14 Posted by Byshop (19608 posts) -

@ianhh6 said:

I've never ever heard "ex-peer-i-ment". I've always said and heard "pear".

The first video link I posted was the Cinema Sins "Everything Wrong With Avengers: The Age of Ultron" video and time stamped to one of the times Jeremy Scott says it. Another web series I watch is Extra Credits, narrated by a voice modulated Daniel Floyd. I was trying to find an example of Floyd saying it, but after looking into it further I discovered that he flips back and forth between saying it the way that I know and the way that sounds "wrong" to me. It's just that when he says it "correctly" I tend not to notice. Ever since noticing, I've been hearing it more and more in TV shows and in movies.

-Byshop

#15 Posted by fenriz275 (2146 posts) -

I've never heard anyone say expeeriment unless it was for comic effect.