What's your religious faith?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JasonGriffee (194 posts) -

Just thought it might be nice to get a consensus.

Please remember to be respectful.

#2 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -
Why did you split Catholics out of Christianity?
#3 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -
Don't think that the word consensus means what you think it means. Oh well. I'm also curious about the results.
#4 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
I don't know.
Why did you split Catholics out of Christianity?LJS9502_basic
Must be a Luther fan.
#5 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I believe there is some kind of god or higher being/power but I'm not religious. Not sure what that could classify me as.

#6 Posted by JasonGriffee (194 posts) -
Because some view Catholics as being very different from Christians.
#7 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Why did you split Catholics out of Christianity?JasonGriffee

Do "they" know what the term Christian means?
#8 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Why did you split Catholics out of Christianity?JasonGriffee

Actually not a bad answer. A number of protestant denominations do view Catholics as being corrupted and/or not "true" Christians.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#9 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

Indifferent, I guess. I don't care either way.

#10 Posted by Scissorman88 (154 posts) -

I don't have one

#11 Posted by JasonGriffee (194 posts) -
Do "they" know what the term Christian means?LJS9502_basic
Protestants sometimes feel that Catholicism perverted the Christan faith, which is why they feel that there is a difference.
Avatar image for michael_1234576
#12 Posted by michael_1234576 (8631 posts) -
grew up Catholic
#13 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -

Agnostic atheist with an evolving naturalistic quasi-daoism

#14 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Do "they" know what the term Christian means?JasonGriffee
Protestants sometimes feel that Catholicism perverted the Christan faith, which is why they feel that there is a difference.

And Catholics think Protestants changed the faith. That does not mean Catholics don't consider them Christians. Honestly anyone with that mindset is nothing but arrogant.
#15 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Ignostic non-theist.
#17 Posted by zenogandia (861 posts) -

Humanist/Atheist. I don't believe in "The strongest survives" but "We must help the weak surive."

#18 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

ROFL

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -

[QUOTE="JasonGriffee"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Why did you split Catholics out of Christianity?coolbeans90

ROFL

Don't encourage him beans....:(
#20 Posted by LordQuorthon (5803 posts) -

[QUOTE="JasonGriffee"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Why did you split Catholics out of Christianity?coolbeans90

ROFL

But they do. Mostly because of all the cult and worship around Mary and all the saints. 

#21 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="JasonGriffee"] Because some view Catholics as being very different from Christians.LordQuorthon

ROFL

But they do. Mostly because of all the cult and worship around Mary and all the saints. 

We don't worship Mary and the Saints. It would be best if you knew what you were speaking about first.
#22 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="JasonGriffee"] Because some view Catholics as being very different from Christians.LordQuorthon

ROFL

ROFL

#23 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

ROFL

LJS9502_basic

We don't worship Mary and the Saints. It would be best if you knew what you were speaking about first.

It's kinda like saying that Christianity is a polytheistic faith because of the trinity. So yeah. The whole "Catholics aren't Christians" bit has always been kinda annoying. Anyway, reporting in as generic, garden-variety Christian.
#24 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
Agnostic. I don't worship anything. I don't know if anything is out there, if there's a supreme being, whatever, but even if there is I'm not going to worship it. But from basic reading on wikipedia, if I fall into the beliefs of a church it is Satanism. As far as what I've read, they don't even believe in Satan as being a god, nor do they worship him. Satanists actually seem like people with their heads on straight. Their 'commandments' and 'sins' are basically my beliefs that I go on in day-to-day life, which is kind of neat. When STUPIDITY is a sin, I know I've found my people. This is kind of revolutionary for me, since I've read the beliefs of Christians, Catholics, Jehovahs, Mormons, even Muslims, Jews, and Wiccans. Every time I walk away shaking my head thinking "How in the hell do you believe this, like for real? How are you taking this as fact?" but for once I'm reading the basic principles of a 'religion' and agreeing with them. It's an odd feeling.
#25 Posted by N30F3N1X (8923 posts) -

Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon.

#26 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

PannicAtack

It's kinda like saying that Christianity is a polytheistic faith because of the trinity. So yeah. The whole "Catholics aren't Christians" bit has always been kinda annoying. Anyway, reporting in as generic, garden-variety Christian.

It's just so much of a semantic difference, though.  "We don't worship three gods, we worship one god that manifests itself in three different personalities," and "we don't worship the saints, we revere them, pray to them, ask us to bless us, and believe that they preside over different domains of existence like charity, but we don't think they're actually gods."  The differences between a belief in the trinity and the saints and in polytheism is so infinitessimal as to be practically non-existent from an outsider's perspective.

#27 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
agnostic-atheist
#28 Posted by LordQuorthon (5803 posts) -

We don't worship Mary and the Saints. It would be best if you knew what you were speaking about first.LJS9502_basic

Have you evern been to an overwhelmingly catholic country like Mexico? 

Yes, technically, catholics don't worship Mary or saints, but in reality they do. Not that I give a crap about that or think they are less christians because of that, mind you. I'm an atheist. 

#29 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]We don't worship Mary and the Saints. It would be best if you knew what you were speaking about first.LordQuorthon

Have you evern been to an overwhelmingly catholic country like Mexico? 

Yes, technically, catholics don't worship Mary or saints, but in reality they do. Not that I give a crap about that or think they are less christians because of that, mind you. I'm an atheist. 

In reality they don't.:|
#30 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Could someone tell me what I'd be classified as based on my post on the first page? I've always been unsure what I'd be labeled as in this case.

#31 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Could someone tell me what I'd be classified as based on my post on the first page? I've always been unsure what I'd be labeled as in this case.

Pirate700

Possibly a deist.

#32 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

coolbeans90

Possibly a deist.

Hmm. Thanks Beans.

#33 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -

Pirate700

Strong agnostic theist probably.

I'm sure you were looking for five different answers, welcome to the world of religious factionalism :P

#34 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -

Pirate700
Hm. You'll hate this term, but spiritual maybe?
#35 Posted by LordQuorthon (5803 posts) -

In reality they don't.:|LJS9502_basic

Three words: Virgin of Guadalupe. 

#36 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Thanks for the info guys. :)

#37 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -

Pirate700
Deist?
#38 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
(other) Deism
#39 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

LJS9502_basic

Deist?

That's what I thought but wasn't sure if it was right.

#40 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]In reality they don't.:|LordQuorthon

Three words: Virgin of Guadalupe. 

You know one of us has experience with the faith and one doesn't. Who do you think has the better answer?
#41 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
must be heretics
#42 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -

Pirate700

Since a lot of people are saying deism, I will say that I considered that but deism seemed a bit stronger than what you described.  Deists definitely believe in a god, usually a single creator, but believe that he/she/it doesn't actively interefere in the operation of everyday life.  Daoists, for example, believe in a higher power but are not necessarily deists.

#43 Posted by LordQuorthon (5803 posts) -

You know one of us has experience with the faith and one doesn't. Who do you think has the better answer?LJS9502_basic

The one who bases his opinion on the behavior of millions of catholics instead of assuming that all catholics act like him. 

#44 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

theone86

Since a lot of people are saying deism, I will say that I considered that but deism seemed a bit stronger than what you described.  Deists definitely believe in a god, usually a single creator, but believe that he/she/it doesn't actively interefere in the operation of everyday life.  Daoists, for example, believe in a higher power but are not necessarily deists.

Deists basically believe in a higher power that created the universe and the laws of nature then left with no intervention since.
#45 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You know one of us has experience with the faith and one doesn't. Who do you think has the better answer?LordQuorthon

The one who bases his opinion on the behavior of millions of catholics instead of assuming that all catholics act like him. 

You do know Catholics know other Catholics...right? Seriously standing on the outside looking in is not the same as knowing a faith. Sorry dude. Denied.
#46 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

theone86

I agree, since Pirate mentioned nothing about interfering (or not) in our lives, I'm not sure if Deism completely works here.
#47 Posted by LordQuorthon (5803 posts) -

You do know Catholics know other Catholics...right? Seriously standing on the outside looking in is not the same as knowing a faith. Sorry dude. Denied.LJS9502_basic

And how many non-American catholics do you know?

#48 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

KC_Hokie

Deists basically believe in a higher power that created the universe and the laws of nature then left with no intervention since.

Yes, but a higher power and a creator are not necessarily the same thing.  Daoists believe in the Dao, or way, and for some that is very close to a deity but for some it simply means the natural order of the universe.  Hell, most polytheistic religions don't necessarily have a creator, more like two entities interacting and bringing the universe about in a somewhat serendipitous manner.  There are a lot of ways in which his post can be interpreted as non-deistic is all I'm saying.

#49 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167114 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You do know Catholics know other Catholics...right? Seriously standing on the outside looking in is not the same as knowing a faith. Sorry dude. Denied.LordQuorthon

And how many non-American catholics do you know?

I do know non American Catholics. I also know the dogma and religious tenets of the faith. Which one has to follow.
#50 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -

[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You know one of us has experience with the faith and one doesn't. Who do you think has the better answer?LJS9502_basic

You do know Catholics know other Catholics...right? Seriously standing on the outside looking in is not the same as knowing a faith. Sorry dude. Denied.

I think there's something to be said for the outside perspective here.  You can dress certain practices up in official doctrine and semantic distinctions, but if the base practices of polytheism still remain then honestly what is the difference?  Someone steeped in church doctrine is unable to see that lack of disctinction, whereas someone not worried about official stances can see some of the stark similarities.