What's your next step in life?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts

Where are you now and what do you expect to do next in life?

I personally am a car salesman and I'm doing pretty well. I really enjoy the ups and downs of sales and the excitement that comes with it,

But...

I would like to get myself in to the entertainment industry in some way because I have he personality for it and, that industry could really allow me to explore everything I enjoy. Marketing, sales, and creative expression.

I'm 25 though so I'll give a more realistic take also...

On a more realistic note I'd like to continue being in sales. I really do love it and I'm good at it. I'd definitely like to take myself a few levels above where I am now. I want to be a traveling salesman who goes to other cities to sell instead of just selling cars at the same dealership forever. I want to make $200k a year and never have to worry about a bill again.

So OT, what do you guys see your future being?

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Try to get a good paying job in a hotel for the time being. Possibly move closer to my future work place in an area near my church. So I don't have to commute as much.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Well, I'm doing nothing right now but did decide to enroll in university again. I plan on majoring in economics and then hopefully finding a decent career afterwards. It's something to work towards, I suppose. I was in a rut for a while but I'm slowly finding the motivation to do something with myself.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ugalde-

@jak42: Why a job in a hotel? Just curious.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ugalde-

@SoNin360:

Good for you man. Definitely get that motivation going. How old are you?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

#6  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Ugalde-: Turn 23 this month. I went to University for a year straight out of high school but dropped out. So that was 3 years ago. It'll feel weird being in school again, but I think I'll be more ready for it this time especially knowing how it went wrong last time.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Retirement. Still a few years off, but starting to take the necessary steps to have everything in order.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

i have a pretty good job. decent pay and the hours are good. the more i work the less i find myself motivated to be jonny-career-guy.

i'm at a point where the time i have to spend with myself and my growing family is more important than money or career aspirations.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ugalde-

@SoNin360:

Good job man. I wish I could go back to college but it's just not for me. I hope it goes well for you and you find what you really wanna do.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Jump down from a Bridge.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ugalde-

@SUD123456:

What do you do for work?

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ugalde-

@comp_atkins:

Yea see maybe it's just because I'm young but I'm the opposite. I feel like I enjoy my time with my family more when I work more. If I am with them too much ugh lol.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ugalde-

@indzman:

You sound like me. That's literally how I talk all the time lol. My catch phrases are "wish I was dead" and "gonna kill myself". I'm always kidding but that's my stupid dark humor lol.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jak42

@Ugalde-: Full time job that pays around $22 an hour, plus benefits. And overtime hours available.

Its better than what I have now. Which is nothing. Pretty much the only reason why I would be interested.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ugalde-

@jak42:

Well $22 an hour is great. Definitely a good starting place since it's better than what most people make period.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jak42

@Ugalde-: And that's what's appealing to me. Even if I don't want to do it forever. Its the next step in my life.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ugalde-

@jak42:

For sure. What will you be doing there?

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jak42

@Ugalde-: Too early to say for sure. Maybe Concierge.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#19 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I am doing software testing stuff, related to my part of education which is GIS. Its a decent job and I got it right out of my post-graduate program (they were recruiting from my program specifically) but I did my undergrad in physical geography and I mostly learned GIS so I could use it for physical geography stuff.

so I kinda want to go work for a consulting firm and use my GIS skills for physical geography problems with some possible outdoors work, but it would probably pay less and be less stable (they tend to have lots of resizing and layoffs depending on the economy and clients).

and part of me who hates the 9-5 life wants to become a writer, something i've been doing on the side for a while in a semi-professional capacity. but that seems financially unviable.

but as someone who is relatively lazy I will probably stay with the software testing thing for a while and continue writing on the side.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Currently work full time in sales (home appliances) and enjoy it. They are changing our commission base, so its going to be harder to do a deal for a customer whilst still making some coin yourself. I've always had a strong interest to study IT, just unsure of what field or where to go. I keep asking myself, can I afford to cut my hours right back? Usual answer is no

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

death

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science and recently got my masters degree on Internet and the WWW. Next step is serving my 9 month mandatory military conscription which I do not look forward to at all. My plan is to begin my service around January. That leaves me some months for any side activities and expanding my skills. After I'm done with the conscription, I'll have to finally look for a proper job. Many people of my age here look for work in Europe or even the USA but I'm a little afraid to make such a decision. On the other hand, I could always enlist on another masters program in one of the better European universities or even get a phd here (my supervising professor would be happy). I'm still unsure what I want to do...

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ugalde-

@with_teeth26:

Doesn't it suck that our laziness stops us from doing stuff we really wanna do?

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ugalde-

@popgotcha:

Yea our commission is tough to make a lot of money off each customer. When I sell a car I normally make $200-$300(sometimes $500-$600)but we're a high volume dealer and we get good bonuses for pushing units.

How is selling home appliances?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

My true goal in life as of now is to move from the U.S to Cuba and live there till the day I die. I'm still a nurse Practitioner, love my career, love my Girlfriend & Daughter but life here in the U.S got so bad, I'm ready to eave this country of mines and I'm disappointed on what my Countryman has become.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ugalde-

@davillain-:

What about the country makes you want to leave. Just curious no judgement.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator

@Ugalde-: I still love U.S, my birth country but at the same time, my countryman thinks there better then the rest of the world and yet, they can't help themselves when we should work together, not fighting each other within ourselves.

Stuff like that just makes me wish to move somewhere else, I like to live in Cuba with it's nice beaches and not half to worry about politics BS.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@Ugalde- Thats sounds like an awesome plan. As for me, just trying to keep healthy, and keep the family healthy. Money is not as important, but we financially doing good. My next game plan, to promote oneself to a stress free environment, not sure if thats possible in a corporate environment, but will try hard.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

I'm a senior student, I'll start my lab work in september in the field of photonics and hopefully I will get my MSc next year. After that I'll probably move abroad and apply for a job in the same field I worked in on my lab work since no company that works in that field exists in my country. Photonics is about to become the next big field in electronics and I get a rush to think I have a chance to be right in the middle of it.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

If I'm reincarnated and I come back as my self I would kill my self. Either that or try and complete skyrim next time round.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#31 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Buy a house and have another kid. Should happen somewhere next year.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Well I was trying to reach level 64 on GameSpot but I never made it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator

@korvus said:

Inb4 Papa Korvus disappears again for another whole year :(

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Masters degree, then a PHD.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ugalde-

@davillain-:

Fair enough

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ugalde-

@LexLas:

Stress free life is about your mind not anybody or anything else. You can do it man.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Currently I'm a Master student of applied mathematics and when I finish college (next year probably), I'm planning on a PhD in biomedical engineering. Where I live, there is almost no precedence of a math student switching over to biomedical engineering for PhD, partly because of the entrance exam, and partly because of the simple fact that engineering departments in general look over at science departments with disdain. So my chances are pretty slim, but I'll take them.

Therefore the first order of bushiness is to finish Master's, then an attempt to infiltrate biomedical engineering department is planned. If the attempt is a success, then I'll spent the next four years in BME school and maybe make myself useful for mankind :)

If the attempt is a failure, then I'll have to deal with mandatory military service. By the time the service is over, I'll be around 27-28. (I'm 23 bordering 24 at the moment.) Then...I don't know. This is about as far ahead as I can foresee :)

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

@davillain- said:
@korvus said:

Inb4 Papa Korvus disappears again for another whole year :(

lolz

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@Ugalde- said:

@SUD123456:

What do you do for work?

Senior management, energy sector, very large company

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ugalde-

@SUD123456:

Oh wow awesome man.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

Coming out of one of the toughest times in my life, which is weird because prior I was on cloud 9; but honestly this situation just made me stronger. I have a really good job lined up that I will be starting this month, which is great because I graduated 3 months ago. Things are going bavk up, but may-june was rough.

Balrogbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#42 Balrogbane
Member since 2014 • 1051 Posts

Well I got my associates degree in Business/IT a year ago, took a bridge year to work and save up a little cash and now I'm heading back to college for my B.S here in a couple weeks. Pretty typical I guess.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PopGotcha
@davillain- said:

@Ugalde-: I still love U.S, my birth country but at the same time, my countryman thinks there better then the rest of the world and yet, they can't help themselves when we should work together, not fighting each other within ourselves.

Stuff like that just makes me wish to move somewhere else, I like to live in Cuba with it's nice beaches and not half to worry about politics BS.

Come live in Australia mate! We a pretty chilled bunch down here, got some lovely beaches and areas that are really nice to live in. Only downer is the garbage internet, but you take the good with the bad!

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PopGotcha

@Ugalde- said:

@popgotcha:

Yea our commission is tough to make a lot of money off each customer. When I sell a car I normally make $200-$300(sometimes $500-$600)but we're a high volume dealer and we get good bonuses for pushing units.

How is selling home appliances?

It's pretty good, its usually not too busy but busy enough to not make you go insane. Things like Dyson you're lucky to make a $1 off a $999 vaccum, they simply don't give commission on it. Yet in IT, you purchase a Trend/Norton anti virus at $69 and the salesmen makes $10. Just the luck of the draw I suppose!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Let's see. When both kids move out?

Sell the house and rent an apartment (or buy an RV).

Buy a premium car.

Travel and the only way to get hold of me n the wife is via P.O. Box.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Just trying to finish college and get my cancer treatment done by the end of the year.

Next step: Back to work/school full time. It's been 2 and a half years now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Probably either trying to get a better job or moving somewhere back home. I really don't know. I don't want to change anything just yet, everything is so jarring for me to try to adjust to.

I try to be realistic about things. I spent a lot of time over the last two years trying to find a new girlfriend, but it's become crystal clear that nobody is interested in me that way, at least not around here. I think I really am reaching the end of my searching, the whole thing has just made me a lot more depressed now that I know what I'm 'worth'. I know I'm not really a 'normal' person or a culturally 'ideal' man, and I am starting to get kind of old now, and I guess I don't really know what else I can do if nobody wants to accept me for who I am.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator

@popgotcha said:
@davillain- said:

Come live in Australia mate! We a pretty chilled bunch down here, got some lovely beaches and areas that are really nice to live in. Only downer is the garbage internet, but you take the good with the bad!

Naa I'm good. Australia sounds nice for a vacation but living there, I might as well just stay in the U.S lol.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I want to finish the projects in my sig and get them up for sale. They basically convert the Gameboy Advance and Game Gear into consoles with controllers and HDMI output. I'm also trying to prepare myself to get a good internship, I'm aiming at something like a Microsoft doctoral hardware engineering internship...but I'm sure that's tough to get. Also was thinking about applying to Spacex. Basically anywhere with electronic design, from the transistor layout to board level design.

My main goal though is just to finish my phd, hopefully I only have two years left. I want to gtfo from academia when I'm done and either work at a national lab or a tech company research lab. Intel seems pretty interesting since they're involved in both FPGAs and spintronics, my two main interests.

@N30F3N1X said:

I'm a senior student, I'll start my lab work in september in the field of photonics and hopefully I will get my MSc next year. After that I'll probably move abroad and apply for a job in the same field I worked in on my lab work since no company that works in that field exists in my country. Photonics is about to become the next big field in electronics and I get a rush to think I have a chance to be right in the middle of it.

Big as in what, for computation or communication buses? I don't have too much faith in nano-scale computation (unless you could send me a link to cool convincing research), and to be fair, device people always say something is the next big thing in circuits :p

What type of work do you want to do in photonics?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

lose all the weight. everything else is on hold until thats sorted. after that no idea really.