What's your #1 sandwich and do you eat it by itself or with a side dish?

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JohnnyGT1
Member since 2012 • 147 Posts

For me its kind of hard because I do like a good pastrami sandwich or a California BLT. If I had to choose only one I would go with a California BLT with a side of fries, onion rings, or a bag of chips, but it must also have a slice dill pickle to go with it or else its just blasphemy. The reason is because when I eat a California BLT it feels light and not heavy that I would want to go take a nap after I eat it like the pastrami sandwich. I will say after a long day at work eating a pastrami sandwich will do wonders to you.

rhoadsxiommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By rhoadsxiommi
Member since 2018 • 75 Posts

Corned beef sandwich, toasted with coleslaw and russian dreasing. From hershel’s deli at the reading terminal market in philly

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JohnnyGT1

@rhoadsxiommi: Sounds good what kind of bread do you get? Wheat, Italian, sourdough, bolillo? Also I can never get into coleslaw I think the amount of mayonnaise that is use throws me off.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Good ol' Ham and Cheese.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9778 Posts

Egg and bacon. Ketchup.

Done.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Usually tuna or turkey and bacon. If I have sides, it's usually chips or french fries.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@JohnnyGT1 said:

or a California BLT.

What's so Californian about a BLT?

@JustPlainLucas said:

Usually tuna or turkey and bacon. If I have sides, it's usually chips and french fries.

At the same time?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

bread: soft roll or, ideally, a really good French roll with crunchy crust and soft insides

protein: capicola...it's like ham , but better; it's a less chewy version of prosciutto. It's pork so it already has great flavor. Hot or mild coppa is a close second

fillings: tomato, lettuce (shredded, east-coast grinder style), onion (thinly sliced, and soaked in ice water to remove the bite), provolone cheese, pepperoncini, olives

condiments: oil, vinegar, and a couple shakes of oregano.

Just a good italian sub, basically. It's not as exotic as, say, a Bahn Mi (which might be my 2nd favorite) or as homey and good as a fried chicken sandwich, but it's just my go-to sandwich.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

When cheating, a Chicken Philly Cheesestake with onions, peppers, ketchup and mayo. No sides needed. Haven't had one in months.

Or a good cheeseburger and fries (NOT fast food).

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

I'm partial to a good philly. It's gotta be with prime rib or sliced steak though, ground beef is unnacceptable. Sometimes tomato with it is good, and so is switching out the green peppers for banana peppers is also a great switch up from the norm. Baked potato or fried potatoes are an excellent side dish.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

1. Has to be Publix sub. Fact.

2. Wife makes some of the best sandwiches that come to mind.

3. Outside of those, love me a good tuna melt or buffalo chicken sandwich or NY Steamer from Firehouse Subs.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

The Hang Loose from Mr. Pickles.

Pastrami, bacon, avocado and cream cheese on dutch crunch bread.

Philly cheese is my next choice but it is hard to find a place that makes a good one.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@PSP107 said:
@JohnnyGT1 said:

or a California BLT.

What's so Californian about a BLT?

@JustPlainLucas said:

Usually tuna or turkey and bacon. If I have sides, it's usually chips and french fries.

At the same time?

Sorry, meant "or".

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JohnnyGT1

@PSP107: The ingredients that are being use or the person made a different take on a BLT and just called it that. I don't know I don't question the name unless it has some weird name that's throwing up some red flags. I'm just a person that just wants to eat a good sandwich.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

Good ol' Ham and Cheese.

Same here, although sometimes I like to put Doritos on mine, especially the Sweet (or Spicy, can't remember which it is) Chili ones or Spicy Nacho ones.

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JohnnyGT1

@double_decker: We don't have those kind of flavors of Doritos in Japan. We only have the the nachos cheese and the Doritos taco flavor one. Even then the nachos cheese flavor taste different from it's American counter part. In the end I would have to go to store that sells export food or order it online. When I use to live in America I would go grab a bag once in a while, but I would mostly get some sea salt chips from Trader Joe's.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By double_decker

@JohnnyGT1 said:

@double_decker: We don't have those kind of flavors of Doritos in Japan. We only have the the nachos cheese and the Doritos taco flavor one. Even then the nachos cheese flavor taste different from it's American counter part. In the end I would have to go to store that sells export food or order it online. When I use to live in America I would go grab a bag once in a while, but I would mostly get some sea salt chips from Trader Joe's.

Taco flavor I also enjoy on my ham and cheese sandwich, but it's sad you have such limited Doritos flavor. Although I don't like their new "Jacked" flavor, tastes nasty IMO.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1821 Posts

Ham, egg, and cheese sandwich with grape jelly.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Mozzarella grilled cheese with tomato and bacon.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

PB and J

And not the American jam, that's weird tasting.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

cheese,banana and peanut butter

i have strange tastes......

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JohnnyGT1

@ShepardCommandr: So it seems. I think the cheese seems out of place of a good combination of peanut butter and banana. Have you tried peanut cream? I'm not a fan of it, it is so so for me.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@double_decker said:

Same here, although sometimes I like to put Doritos on mine, especially the Sweet (or Spicy, can't remember which it is) Chili ones or Spicy Nacho ones.

Cool Ranch for me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

I just mainly go to Subway and get myself a Sandwich from there. I always get a Sandwich only and never bother to get any sides.

For the Sandwich alone, I'm very picky on my foods, I get with: Turkey, lettuce, American white cheese, and pickles. That's it. Edit: always white bread.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

tuna sandwich or egg salad sandwich w/out sides since im watching my weight.

Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

A Conch Sandwich when the conch is done on a coal pot and mix with some Caribbean sauce or Avocado Sandwich.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PSP107

@ShepardCommandr said:

Yes you do. What ingredient dominants more?

@davillain- said:

I just mainly go to Subway and get myself a Sandwich from there. I always get a Sandwich only and never bother to get any sides.

I don't blame you. The sandwich itself is already over $6. Subway way overpriced.

@Dark_man123 said:

A Conch Sandwich when the conch is done on a coal pot and mix with some Caribbean sauce or Avocado Sandwich.

Never heard of Conch.

What do you put on your avocado sandwich?

Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

@PSP107 said:
@ShepardCommandr said:

Yes you do. What ingredient dominants more?

@davillain- said:

I don't blame you. The sandwich itself is already over $6. Subway way overpriced.

@Dark_man123 said:

Never heard of Conch.

What do you put on your avocado sandwich?

You wouldn't have heard of it because it's a tropical Marine Mollucs Sea Snail of the busyconidae family. For the Avocado I normal put salt with cheese and lettuce or just eat it by itself.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSP107

@Dark_man123:"a tropical Marine Mollucs Sea Snail of the busyconidae family."

lol

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 double_decker

@crimsonbrute said:

Cool Ranch for me.

I've never tried those on a sandwich, I'll have to try that sometime and see how it turns out. =)

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4397 Posts

I don't really care much for sandwiches from restaurants or delis or fast food spots such as Subway. Most of these places use way too much meat, not enough (then charge you a lot for extra), day old veggies and crappy bread (Subway, I'm looking at you - your ingredients suck) or they slap on way too much lettuce (I hate shredded lettuce, it falls out all over the place) to cover the fact they lack anything else good and need a cheap filler. I enjoy sticking to making my own. Here is one of my favorites that I make.

• First, pre-heat the oven to 350
  • Then start with a plain Thomas bagel (by far the best store bought bagels I've come across)
  • Spread a very thin layer of Light Miracle Whip or Mayo on both halves.
  • sprinkle some rosemary and dill seasoning across the miracle whip (to taste) - the sandwich just isn't the same without these
  • Gouda cheese (swiss works good if I want more bite or pepper jack if I want a little spice), enough to cover each slice of the bagel
  • 2-3 slices of ham off the bone on each bagel slice
  • more Gouda cheese to cover the ham on each slice of bagel
  • do not put the bagel halves together yet - lay them on a pan/baking tray with the bagel sides down and leave in the oven for 8-12 minutes (or until your desired toasting)
  • put the two halves together and cut the bagel in sandwich in half
  • pour some Ken's Steak House Honey Mustard dressing in a small dish and use to dip the sandwich in

All the cheese is the binding material to keep the insides from sliding out when you're trying to eat it. Nothing more irritating than having all the ingredients fall/slide out of your sandwich as you bite into it. If I have leaf lettuce, I may put some on the sandwich after I take it from the oven. Sometimes a nice, crisp snap of fresh lettuce as you bite into the sandwich is good.

@ShepardCommandr said:

I'd have to say the oddest sandwich I've ever had was a peanut butter and pickle. In high school my friend's girlfriend and her entire family was vegetarian. We're at her house one day (along with my girlfriend) and the girls want to have a picnic. The girls made some vegie sandwich (onions, tomatoes, bean sprouts and so on) and most vegies I dislike the taste (too bitter) and texture (tomatoes - gross, slimy and....uck) so my friend and I ask for a PB&J.....They don't have any jelly.

Seriously, what kind of people have no jelly? None. No strawberry, raspberry, apricot, grape.....wasn't even any apple butter or marmalade (which sucks, so I'm glad they didn't have it). I spotted a jar of pickles in the fridge and jokingly said I'll do peanut butter and pickles. The girls laughed. My friend said he'd do one, too. We said we were serious. So they made peanut butter and pickle sandwiches for us. Surprisingly they weren't that bad. I can't say I'd eat one again, once was enough, but it really wasn't that bad.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 double_decker

@neatfeatguy said:
I'd have to say the oddest sandwich I've ever had was a peanut butter and pickle. In high school my friend's girlfriend and her entire family was vegetarian. We're at her house one day (along with my girlfriend) and the girls want to have a picnic. The girls made some vegie sandwich (onions, tomatoes, bean sprouts and so on) and most vegies I dislike the taste (too bitter) and texture (tomatoes - gross, slimy and....uck) so my friend and I ask for a PB&J.....They don't have any jelly.

Seriously, what kind of people have no jelly? None. No strawberry, raspberry, apricot, grape.....wasn't even any apple butter or marmalade (which sucks, so I'm glad they didn't have it). I spotted a jar of pickles in the fridge and jokingly said I'll do peanut butter and pickles. The girls laughed. My friend said he'd do one, too. We said we were serious. So they made peanut butter and pickle sandwiches for us. Surprisingly they weren't that bad. I can't say I'd eat one again, once was enough, but it really wasn't that bad.

I've done peanut butter and mayo/miracle whip a few times before, but never pickle. They weren't the best sandwiches ever, but I agree on not liking onions or tomatoes for their texture. About the only veggie I put on my sandwiches is some lettuce, if it's fresh and adds a nice moisture crunch. =)

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JohnnyGT1

@neatfeatguy: Sounds good if I make a sandwich using a bagel I'll use a raisin bagel with a a little bit of mayo, sunny side up, cheddar cheese, and ham for breakfast. If I make one for lunch then I'll use a garlic bagel with a little bit of mayo, pepper jack cheese, bacon, turkey and lettuce.

Skux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Skux
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I’m not creative or original, but a Five Guys Bacon Cheeseburger with some Five Guys style fries, really gets my oofs going!

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#35 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6072 Posts

Big Mac. Large fries. McNuggets. Coke as well of course.

pig111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pig111
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

Cheese

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Italian pita sandwich at Sicily. It was great after enduring airline food while crossing the pond.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I quite like a nice straightforward fish finger sandwich, sometimes with a bit of cheese. For a bit of crunch, chuck some tortilla chips on it just before you eat it (so they don't go soggy from the heat of the fingers). I prefer mine with ketchup (only a little) but my dad prefers with tartare.

Warm sandwiches are always preferred over cold ones :)

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3451 Posts

Tough choice.... I'll go with Chicken Caesar with bacon sandwich. Tend to buy these at the shop. Never had anything to go with it.

What goes well with a Chicken Caesar and bacon sandwich? Any recommendations?

suz437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 suz437
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts

Montreal smoked meat with pickles. and mustard on rye. It's truly dank.

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

Subway Italian BMT with peppers, onions and southwest sauce. No sides.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Bacon, southern style chicken tenders and hot chips with may and bbq sauce on whit bread.