What's the most money you've given to a homeless person?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll What's the most money you've given to a homeless person? (34 votes)

Less than $1 15%
A few bucks 24%
Over $5 62%

I generally don't give anything to panhandlers since it's easy to ignore them given that I'm in my car. However, there have been three occasions where I've been approached by homeless people on foot. It's a lot harder to say no since it's more personal when you're face to face with someone. I gave money on all of these encounters.

The first one happened while I was eating in my car at a Taco Bell parking lot at night. A young boy knocked on my passenger side window. He said he was hungry and asked if I had spare change. I grabbed my wallet and gave him a $5 bill and he thanked me. I felt a little bad considering it wouldn't get him much.

The second time was in broad daylight at a Target parking lot. After I returned my cart, I was walking back to my mom's SUV and was approached by an old homeless man. He asked me if I could help out a homeless veteran, referring to himself obviously. I had $52 in cash in my wallet. The problem was that $52 was split between a $50 bill and two $1 bills. I wasn't gonna say no, so I literally just gave him my $50 bill because I sure as hell wasn't gonna give him a measly ass $2. I honestly felt a little off giving away that much money but I hope it helped him. The fact that there are homeless vets is a crying fucking shame.

The last and most recent encounter, this last winter, I was approached by two homeless people while walking back to my car after school. One was a middle aged black man and the other an older looking white woman. The man said he and the woman needed something to eat and asked if I could spare cash or something. I gave him a $20 bill and he gave me a hug; the woman thanked me. I don't know how homeless people survive Minnesota winters, but I'm glad I gave them something.

Have you given a homeless person any money or food?

Speaking of food, I once gave a panhandler a Kit Kat bar. :P

• 
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I've never given anything to a homeless person.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

To a homeless -----> nothing.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The one time a real bum was in our neighborhood..... A box of Minute Rice, a few cans of Vienna sausage, three (I think) tins of German herring (Appel) in tomato sauce.

Money? Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I give them water bottles and change. 70% of my family live in a very poor country outside the states.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

never gave money. When I smoked, I'd give them cigarettes on occasion, but that's it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Loose change always to Homeless :)

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Loose change, most a buck. One day I was high on life and decided in giving a $5.

During my 3rd year of college there was this panhandler on this traffic light I needed to pass through and he used to ask me for money and I ALWAYS gave him something, sometimes some quarters, sometimes a buck. Whenever this guy saw me he knew some money was coming his way. One day the guy asked me if I could take him somewhere, he said it was nearby, and when I refuse he became angry and agitated. I remember thinking: "look at this ungrateful son of the bitch". After, since I couldn't avoid that traffic light, I simply looked away a little bit hurt and never gave him anything else.

True story.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#8 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

A couple of pounds. I hear the price of drugs are going up. We should adjust accordingly.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I've given homeless people quite a bit of food and money. I only give them the amount they need to buy food and water, especially when they look under weight. I don't mind a a homeless man drinking beer either, because I'd probably be doing the same if I were stuck on the streets with no hope in my mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I give to orphanage.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Never have and never will give anything to a homeless, Particular not now when there are org. eastern europeans running around.

I do how ever buy the local homeless paper on occasion. Since i know it will only be sold by local homeless who are actual homeless, Sad as it is.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@raugutcon said:

To a homeless -----> nothing.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I once went to Taco Bell and bought a meal for around $5. Driving out and stopped at a light, I saw an older man (50s-60s) pushing his belongings down a street opposite my direction. He was sobbing.

I felt incredible guilt, so I rolled down my window and offered him my food, drink, and included a $5. He was stunned and thanked me profusely through tears.

Don't care what he did with the money, he had a shit life and wasn't asking for help.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

I've given large bags of deposit cans that i can't be arsed to turn in myself to homeless. They fetch quite a bit of money in Sweden.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

It really depends on the area I'm willingly to give out cash to. Some of them are drug addicts to get more cash for drugs, but the one's who aren't, I usually give'em like $1/4 and that's about it when I'm being approach by Homeless people and there have been few cases that I'll go out of my way and give'em cash when I see they really need a bite to eat.

Now true story, about last year, I saw a homeless mother with a child who didn't have much and she ask me for $2 bucks and I felt sorry for her, so I gave her $20 instead. I felt I could've done more then just that, but when times are tough, you also gotta take care of your own family and yourself as well.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

maybe 3-4 pound, if they have a dog i find it more difficult not to give.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

In my country homeless people have shelters and free meals, and those who I meet on the street are drunks or cigarette smokers. It's common to see women with babies begging for money, and what most people don't know (or don't care) is that those babies are rented and given alcohol so they sleep and don't cry. I guess ignoring that is in best public interest, cuz who's gonna pay for their healthcare and shit? Not their parents for sure.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I don't give money, I give a bottle of water and some sandwiches once in awhile if I've head into a bakery.

Atleast then you know they get some kind of nurishment and won't be hungry for some hours.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

There are a number of shelters nearby that offer food and shelter so I have a tendency to find that beggars are usually after money for a beer or drugs. In that instance I prefer to save that money to spend on my own supply of beer and drugs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I've given money to homeless people many times but I never give more than a dollar.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Maybe a total of 75 cents.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

never gave money. When I smoked, I'd give them cigarettes on occasion, but that's it.

this

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I give a dollar to the homeless pan handlers fairly often. And I give it to them with no strings attached. If he wants to buy liquor who am I to deny him his only joy in life. Is his life not miserable enough without my self righteous judgement placed upon him? We could all end up there one day but we don't realize it.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

I just gave $10 to a homeless guy (younger than me by about 10 years), he was a combat vet in Afghanistan. I also invited him to come have some lunch with me which he gratefully accepted. The guy has some serious problems and our shitcan of a government refuses to give him any real psychological help. The guys in really bad shape so occasionally I spot the guy a few dollars. It's really little loss to me but it sure helps him a lot so I'm happy to do so.

Homeless people don't want to be homeless. I will continue to help him when I see him in town.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Usually between $2 and $5.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I've given food and small amounts of cash to people that are obviously homeless. Ex pushing their belongings in a shopping cart...dirty and dressed in tattered clothing, etc. I give nothing to panhandlers unless they are obviously homeless. Way to many scammers out there. I've watched panhandlers walk over to an intersection after parking their cars before.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@coasterguy65: That is why I primarily give to the homeless in my general neighborhood. I see them almost every day and know that they are in fact homeless.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

I give out change and have bought food (McDonald's)

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

$10 is the most I gave one....

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@magicalclick said:

Normally I don't give them money. But, there is once I wanted to give a guy who is talking himself in Jack in The Box. A guy went to give him food or money and he rejected it. I turn my head and realize he has no hands. I bet they got chopped off. I didn't give him anything because I don't know how to. But, man, he must have pissed off the wrong people. And even mentally unstable, he is still has his pride to reject the offering. But, Imo, I would rather take that food if I was him.

Guys like him could use a hand.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I live in the hood so I don't give them any at all since I know they're gonna buy buzz/drugs. Sometimes I do when I see that they're "homeless vets" because I don't know if I should believe it or not but feel like I have to for those who might actually be.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

On several occasions I've passed a panhandler at an intersection, purchased food at a drive-thru and then doubled back to give the food to the panhandler.

A few weeks ago, I gave a fellow a Burger King meal worth over $9. He thanked me profusely, then set the paper bag on the ground so that he could approach other cars stopped behind me at the intersection. While he was busy, a pair of crows up-ended the bag and started eating the fries and pecking at the wrapped sandwiches.

:-(

Whether or not the guy was able to save the meal I'll never know: Shortly after the crows commenced their theft, the traffic light turned to green and I had to drive off, wondering what happened.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

This one guy had a sign that said needs money for beer, won't lie. So i gave him all my change in my back pack, and $20 dollars. He showed up next week same spot, but no more boyee. Move on.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I gave 10 dollars to a man in a wheelchair who said he was a veteran. He said: "Is that all?"

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

I've had dinner with a few. Together that's about $20, but roughly half of that is for my meal as well.

I bought some groceries for a family holed up in a hotel room after their house burnt down. That was something like $50, but that differs from the "random person asks you for help," scenario I think you have in mind.

We buy food for hungry kids (some of whom are homeless) for a program called Feed My Sheep. Again, that's probably a different scenario than what you're looking for.

Oh, we just started building a house for a homeless family. The price tag for that is still indeterminate, but it's probably going to be more than I'm comfortable with as the group undertaking that task is relatively small. Cest la vie, I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I've had dinner with a few. Together that's about $20, but roughly half of that is for my meal as well.

I bought some groceries for a family holed up in a hotel room after their house burnt down. That was something like $50, but that differs from the "random person asks you for help," scenario I think you have in mind.

We buy food for hungry kids (some of whom are homeless) for a program called Feed My Sheep. Again, that's probably a different scenario than what you're looking for.

Oh, we just started building a house for a homeless family. The price tag for that is still indeterminate, but it's probably going to be more than I'm comfortable with as the group undertaking that task is relatively small. Cest la vie, I guess.

You're a great person, man.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Aljosa23: Nah, just well exposed. When you see people in these situations and get to know some of them and how they got there, you realize they're just people. Some have poor habits, some made one or two mistakes, and some just had bad luck. It could just as easily be me or someone I care about in that situation, and I'd like to hope that someone would extend the same courtesy.

And they probably would. I'm lucky enough to live in an amazing community in which I've even seen people risk their jobs for people down on their luck. My community makes me proud.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Ive given alot all them time before, but im no longer going to anymore. After watching a bunch of videos on how some of them be scamming and lying, im just not gonna bother.

gameplaya9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gameplaya9
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

I've only ever given money once to a guy who was just wandering around near a highway holding up a sign that he was recently unemployed. It was only a few bucks but I like to think if I was ever in that situation other people would do the same.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

One US Dollar is my default (never just change), but if I particularly like the person or are feeling generous (or they have a good story for why they need it) then up to $20. One time I gave $60 to a woman in Vegas, but in retrospect I'm pretty sure she scammed me. No worries, as if there's even a chance she was legit I'm happy to have helped her. If she scammed me, it's not like the money will affect my life in any way and her behavior is no reflection on me.

However, in my town there are a few "career" panhandlers, and they are people I will never give money to.

-Byshop

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#43 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

More less whatever cash I can spare. Its not my job to judge homeless people and assume that they are on drugs or that they will use the money for ill practices. Most homeless people are in genuine need and if there are few scammers here and there, thats fine. Once the people that need the assistance gets its all good in my book.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#44 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@undefined:

I've literally given zero dollars and zero cents on every encounter I had with homeless people. I'm not exactly proud of it but that's the story there. My excuse is that it's too easy to pretend to be homeless and to that end, I actually have seen a few obvious frauds. But the biggest reason is because I'm not a very giving person. ?

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

I gave $20 to a homeless guy that hangs around the store by my place. I also bought food for another one when I was at a Burger King drive thru, and at Sonic. Gave some yen to a few more homeless people when I lived in Yokosuka, and bought food for one hanging outside a beef bowl restaurant in Tokyo.

The most I've given is to my brother, who has been homeless on and off for years, when he isn't living with me or my parents. He's probably the reason I'm fairly generous towards the homeless.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Never gave any money to homeless people. I stopped buying them food once I realized that's not something they want or need.

Avatar image for BabyPulpFiction
BabyPulpFiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BabyPulpFiction
Member since 2013 • 246 Posts

$20. you ppl are cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51