What's the most expensive thing you've regretted buying?

• 56 results
Avatar image for reaperinthyname
#1 Posted by ReaperInThyName (261 posts) -

It's often games that I buy and then regret buying later.

But the most expensive thing I've ever regret buying has to be the Nintendo 64.

#2 Posted by npiet1 (2521 posts) -

This 4k tv (polaroid), the remote gave me 2nd degree burns from the battery's heating on my arse and the legs electrocuted me. I returned it which was a pain, 3 staff members (bigw) tried to refer me to the manufacture which is illegal here and I had to get the store manager to deal with it. They no longer sell them.

#3 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44395 posts) -

Battlefront 2 Deluxe Edition (or whatever the one with the season pass is called), I think it was close to 120 dollars all things considered. What a ripoff.

I was really taking a gamble given that I wanted, but did not, to like the first game. I was like "Maybe they got it right this time". Nope.

That's it, though. Honestly I don't spend much money to begin with, and if it's more than 200 dollars I really, really, really do my research. Then, when I'm about to pull the trigger, I go "Nah, give it one more night" then sleep on it again haha.

#4 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79392 posts) -

An Xbox One. I barely played the thing.

#5 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -

I don't really regret any of my big purchases. I might regret not waiting until I had a little more saved up, but I can't think of anything big I just didn't want.

#6 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

An engagement ring.

#7 Posted by ReaperInThyName (261 posts) -

@thegerg said:

An engagement ring.

Feel ya.

#8 Posted by Johndmgs (323 posts) -

One time I got a Windows Phone (I think it was one of the Lumias) because one of my friends had one. It was a decent phone and it only cost €100 but I had owned an Android phone before it and didn't realize how much more limited the app support on the Windows store was (my bank didn't even have a Windows app). I kept it for about a year before going back to Android.

#9 Posted by Elaisse (521 posts) -

My wife

#10 Posted by THUMPTABLE (2104 posts) -

@Elaisse said:

My wife

Mail order bride...

#11 Posted by Byshop (19608 posts) -

A Tesla Model S 75D prior to the second generation of their Autopilot hardware being announced. That was a lot of money to throw down on something that got outdated in a couple months. Fortunately I was able to trade up without losing money on the deal but I was pretty annoyed until I figured that out.

Another was I threw down somewhere around $400 for a pre-order of the Sixense Stem, which was to be a full body VR tracking system prior to the release of the Vive and Oculus CV1. The product got delayed over and over due to FCC issues. Fortunately I got a full refund over a year later. Fast forward a few years later still and I think it still has yet to be released, and now it's not even that relevant anymore.

My Galaxy Note 7 was what got me off of Windows Phones, but after the second recall I had to take a hit and go back a generation to the S7 which was unfortunate. Had I known then what I know now I would have saved my money and gone straight to the Note 8.

Destiny 1 I paid for the full DD version at like $100. I played it for a whopping 30 minutes.

I got a Solidoodle Press 3D printer for $400. It is capable of printing on an 8x8x8 print area. The printer had a ton of build issues and the company folded I think less than a year later. Still, after a whole lot of tinkering and mechanical work I have the printer working rock solid, although if I even need support I'm SOL until I get a new printer.

-Byshop

#12 Posted by SOedipus (11578 posts) -

360. Not even the system itself but what it costed in the end (chargers, wifi adapter, Gold, the games).

#13 Posted by kaealy (2178 posts) -

Probably some 500+ dollar statue.

#14 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10430 posts) -

I bought a Sony S9005B when it released because I wanted to get into 4k gaming when it launched. It was really expensive and released before HDR. It's a joke how slow the OS is and it has some major issues, especially with my NAS. The Samsung UE55KU6170 I got later for about a third of the price for my gaming room is superior in pretty much every way (except sound, the Sony Tv has awesome sound). I wish I didn't went into 4k so early (got 2x 970 as well) and would have waited for better Tvs with better Oss and HDR.

#15 Edited by comp_atkins (35864 posts) -

@thegerg said:

An engagement ring.

lol. was waiting for that one.

anyway, i'd say a house. my wife and i purchased at pretty much the worst possible time, right before housing collapse

#16 Posted by Byshop (19608 posts) -

Oh, I've got a good one, actually. I bought a 65" Mitsubishi Rear Projection early generation HDTV. WS-65xxx something. Full native 1080P resolution -BUT- this was before everyone standardized on Component as being the analog input of choice (this was waaaay before HDMI). It had Component in, but it wouldn't take the full 1080P signal over the component, instead topping out at 1080i. It would only take 1080P over Firewire or a 5 BNC connector standard that one of the satellite providers was using at the time. If I had just waited a little bit longer and hadn't rushed out to be the first on the block with the new toy, I would have had a TV that could do proper 1080P. This was original Xbox era so what few games supported 1080P didn't necessarily support 720P so I was stuck on 480P instead.

That TV cost me 6k.

-Byshop

#17 Posted by robert_sparkes (3314 posts) -

Windows phone.

#18 Posted by TryIt (13157 posts) -

@reaperinthyname said:

College Education

true story, fact

#19 Posted by robert_sparkes (3314 posts) -

Another for me was the PS3 during the early months after launch had nothing to play.

#20 Posted by ReaperInThyName (261 posts) -

@Elaisse said:

My wife

Ok.

#21 Posted by ReaperInThyName (261 posts) -

@Byshop

Damn, you spend a lot of money on stuff huh? :D

#22 Posted by Byshop (19608 posts) -

@reaperinthyname said:

@Byshop

I guess. It's all relative.

-Byshop

#23 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25468 posts) -
@tryit said:

College Education

true story, fact

Same.

@Byshop said:
@reaperinthyname said:

@Byshop

I guess. It's all relative.

-Byshop

https://i.imgur.com/Z9DOc2I.gif

#24 Edited by Gaming-Planet (20033 posts) -

RuneScape.

Hundreds of dollars and hours wasted grinding my character when I could have just been saying yes to all the girls that asked me out during teen years.

#25 Posted by Bush_Dog (294 posts) -

A dozen of book I still haven't read.

#26 Posted by Byshop (19608 posts) -

@crimsonbrute: You bought eight copies of Fry's Holophonor album. I don't trust you to be a crafty consumer.

-Byshop

#27 Posted by goodzorr (506 posts) -

@thegerg said:

An engagement ring.

Yes. And then the wedding. And the wedding rings. And the Honeymoon. And then the divorce...

Guess it was OK for 18 months though! Live and learn, right??

#28 Edited by tocool340 (21386 posts) -

Most likely Windows Vista. I tried it but went back to XP after realizing Vista sucks. Unfortunately, despite not using the product key to activate Vista, I couldn't get a refund for the purchase....

Oh damn, completely forgot about college and ending up with Student loan debt. That easily takes the cake considering I was never able to get a job for the career I went to college for...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
#29 Edited by deactivated-5b173a489ba56 (367 posts) -

A Crossfit Trainer course. I think it was 1500 CDN. Second would be a Mountain Hardwear down jacket at 300 CDN. I also have like $400 worth of books that I haven't read and probably will never.

#30 Posted by neatfeatguy (4262 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:
@thegerg said:

An engagement ring.

anyway, i'd say a house. my wife and i purchased at pretty much the worst possible time, right before housing collapse

I wish the wife and I didn't buy a place around the same time. Would have been better if we rented for a while and were able to buy when things were down from the housing bubble.

Wife and I purchased our place about 2 years before the housing bubble. The townhouse was a bit overpriced (maybe 20-25k) for what it was, but it was still more reasonable than a house of similar size (1600 sqft) with a small yard that cost upwards of $150K over our townhouse.

Fast forward about 4 years after the housing bubble our place was valued about 1/2 of what we paid and all those way overpriced 1600 sqft houses were now selling for what we paid for our townhouse.

I lost my job in Jan 2009 and was unemployed for almost a year ($5k in my savings account only lasted about 6 months and I haven't bounced back yet from it - still have some debt I'm working on paying back....money is so easy to spend, but so hard to recover from if you go into debt). Finally in 2013/2014 our townhouse is almost back to the point of what we paid for it. It took almost 8 years for the price of our townhouse to recover from the housing bubble....fucking joke.

We now have a new development going up about 3/4 a mile away with more townhomes and houses. Townhomes are similar to ours and the houses are maybe around 1800 sqft....townhomes are going upwards of 250K and houses are pushing $350K. Honestly, these prices are, in my opinion, a good $50K higher than they should be. I noticed a bubble building again on the housing market.......I guess we see where it goes from here over the next couple years.

#31 Posted by comp_atkins (35864 posts) -

@neatfeatguy said:
@comp_atkins said:
@thegerg said:

An engagement ring.

I wish the wife and I didn't buy a place around the same time. Would have been better if we rented for a while and were able to buy when things were down from the housing bubble.

Wife and I purchased our place about 2 years before the housing bubble. The townhouse was a bit overpriced (maybe 20-25k) for what it was, but it was still more reasonable than a house of similar size (1600 sqft) with a small yard that cost upwards of $150K over our townhouse.

Fast forward about 4 years after the housing bubble our place was valued about 1/2 of what we paid and all those way overpriced 1600 sqft houses were now selling for what we paid for our townhouse.

I lost my job in Jan 2009 and was unemployed for almost a year ($5k in my savings account only lasted about 6 months and I haven't bounced back yet from it - still have some debt I'm working on paying back....money is so easy to spend, but so hard to recover from if you go into debt). Finally in 2013/2014 our townhouse is almost back to the point of what we paid for it. It took almost 8 years for the price of our townhouse to recover from the housing bubble....fucking joke.

We now have a new development going up about 3/4 a mile away with more townhomes and houses. Townhomes are similar to ours and the houses are maybe around 1800 sqft....townhomes are going upwards of 250K and houses are pushing $350K. Honestly, these prices are, in my opinion, a good $50K higher than they should be. I noticed a bubble building again on the housing market.......I guess we see where it goes from here over the next couple years.

yup, had we waited maybe a little longer and kept renting we (hopefully) would have seen the crash hitting and held off buying ( or been able to get a much better deal as a first time buyer ). wife and I are still down about $40K on what we paid in 2007. luckily job wise we're in good shape and we've since been able to refi at lower rates so we're not underwater or anything like that. timing just sucked :) basically 10+ years of anemic housing growth in my market.

#32 Edited by with_teeth26 (9625 posts) -

hmm, I can't really think of anything.

i'm usually pretty careful with my purchases.

I spent over 500 dollars on some backcountry Ski bindings a few months ago which seemed excessive at the time, but they are such an upgrade over my old ones I'm ok with it.

EDIT:

actually I thought of something, when I was 14 I went to a mountain bike camp and decided I wanted to get into mountain biking. I spent $800 on a downhill bike which was a lot of money for me at the time, and literally never went downhill biking once. I used it as a commuter bike but it was horrible for that purpose and I ended up selling it on craiglist for $500 a couple years later.

#34 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1796 posts) -

An 800 dollar plane ticket back to my home country that I never used. I had just been suspended from my job and my mother convinced me to go back. I tried selling it on Craigslist. I should have bought the flight insurance.

#35 Posted by brimmul777 (4138 posts) -

I paid for my first prostitute years earlier and she was a total bore to have sex. I don't know,maybe I was her first? It cost me $250 for everything I want,but in the end,she got a much better deal. I feel so used.

#36 Posted by DaVillain- (38112 posts) -

@brimmul777 said:

I paid for my first prostitute years earlier and she was a total bore to have sex. I don't know,maybe I was her first? It cost me $250 for everything I want,but in the end,she got a much better deal. I feel so used.

Don't feel bad about yourself. I done far worst then you. At the age of 13, I had my first sex and from that point, I kept continuing sleeping random girls without thinking to myself, was it worth the pay? I spend far more money then you however, but that was because I went from different girls. $50 each in total for like 4 girls I was dealing with.

#39 Posted by stuff238 (3284 posts) -

Nintendo Wii. Worst $300 I ever wasted.

#40 Posted by byof_america (1937 posts) -

Been super fortunate that the most expensive thing I regret buying was a video game. Bought Battlefront 2 (2005) for Xbox for $99 because I was really feeling the itch to play only to find out it was steam, on sale...

#42 Posted by SOedipus (11578 posts) -

@reaperinthyname said:

Wait, what?

#43 Posted by ReaperInThyName (261 posts) -

@SOedipus said:
@reaperinthyname said:

Wait, what?

yea

#44 Posted by Jetsfan122 (122 posts) -

@reaperinthyname:

My ex-wife

#45 Posted by skipper847 (7329 posts) -

I pad 1 at £600. It was my first ever tablet and it was rubbish. I said from then on never buying an apple product again. I wanted some head phones for it but you have to buy there products and no other make will work. RIP OFF.

#46 Posted by reptile6 (5 posts) -

I want my $4.95 back, which is what I wasted when buying a month membership at farmersonly.com. ... i mean it's great if you want to meet an urban rooftop farmer from Flint, MI

#47 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6494 posts) -

I don't I regret my big purchases like my car's, house, wedding ring and so on but I do however regret many MANY small purchases... Here's a short list my moderately expensive regrets.

• Panasonic LX100 = Never use it, thought it would be good to have a M43 camera that could do 4K in my pocket "just in case"... but its lens is too bulky to fit in my pockets and if I do go out to shoot I use my Nikon D700 or D850. - Cost me £550
  • Samsung 50" 4K TV = I got it several months before HDR TV's hit the market, also never use it due to primarily using my projector in the game room for movies. - Cost me £1100
  • Tag Heuer Monaco 37mm = I never wear it, I wear my Seiko SKX009J daily and my Cartier Tank for formal events. - Cost me £1300

I am impulsive and can drop £100 on stupid stuff that I regret and don't need.

#48 Posted by Ovirew (9125 posts) -

I completely regret the college I went to. It will take me years of my life to pay off the student loans for something I didn't care about, and just eat away at my paychecks every month. I would be in better financial shape if I had never gone to college. And I only went because I felt like I had to.

#49 Posted by schu (10059 posts) -

I think it is more the small purchases where I'm paying for lunch out. I really need to stop it with the $12 meals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
#50 Posted by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

Cigarettes.

Cumulatively probably the most money I've ever spent on anything as I smoked for about 20 years and for what. I would have literally been better off wiping my anus with £20 instead of spending all that money on basically poison.