What’s the longest time you’ve gone without sleep?

#1 Posted by Speeny (593 posts) -

A strange question but this board is meant for topics such as these. Lol

For me I’ve only been able to stay up an entire 24-28 hour time period. Because back in early 2017, my sleeping pattern was so jacked up at one point that was the only way to cure it.

#2 Posted by plageus900 (2552 posts) -

72 hours. I work 45 hours a week, go to university full time and have a wife and child.

#3 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4472 posts) -

Maybe 32. Had a hard time getting to sleep too.

#4 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15560 posts) -

A full 7 days. Was having a bad reaction to some medication. Oh, it sucked. I started hallucinating there near the end.

#5 Posted by SoNin360 (6938 posts) -

I don't know exactly, but I do know that I've hit 24+ hours before. So maybe 30 hours if I had to take my best guess. Similarly to OP, I've stayed up for extended periods to fix my sleeping schedule. Not sure how many times I cycled through sleeping at pretty much every hour interval of a day.

@br0kenrabbit said:

A full 7 days. Was having a bad reaction to some medication. Oh, it sucked. I started hallucinating there near the end.

That sounds about right. Very little to no sleep and I start acting loopy, can't imagine what 7 days would do. Also had a similar reaction to medication, except it was when I suddenly took myself off of it like I wasn't supposed to do. Barely slept for maybe 3-4 days but felt fine.

#6 Posted by Speeny (593 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: Yeah, medication man. I remember I was on something for depression and I felt like a freaking zombie.

#7 Posted by Litchie (22630 posts) -

36 hours. It sucked.

#8 Posted by thereal25 (1639 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

72 hours. I work 45 hours a week, go to university full time and have a wife and child.

That's what I call ambition!!!

#9 Posted by DaVillain- (32945 posts) -

Me, as far as I ever gone without sleep, 26 hours and that's because I got snowed-in at my job, me and my fellow co-workers were all stuck in a small room, it was cold and I cannot sleep at all! I had to stayed up all night long until the Sun could thaw some of the ice on the streets and I couldn't be more happier to drive home and as soon as I got into my room, I crash without taking a bath or take off my clothes.

I didn't even wake up the next day, I was so freaking tired!

#10 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42343 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah I had a hard time transitioning to graveyard shift once, I started seeing things in my peripheral vision. It was weird. Like I was good for everything straight ahead but the things on the outside started to get blurry and...made up.

#11 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10227 posts) -
@plageus900 said:

As someone who was in the same spot: Trust me, the concentration you lose when you stay awake too long isn't worth it. You should try to add some power naps, they can do wonders. Even just napping 30min can increase your concentration a lot

#12 Edited by Master_Live (19207 posts) -

I procrastinate, going 36 hours (at least) straight is just a thing I have been doing all the time for many years now. But the longest has to be something like around 72 hours give or take.

#13 Posted by shellcase86 (4109 posts) -

36-40hrs. It was terrible. Not very functional or alert once nearing that mark.

#14 Edited by goodzorr (411 posts) -

Did about 52 hours a few weeks ago as my partner went in to labour on Sunday evening and was awake with her at the hospital until our daughter was born. Still haven't fully regained that sleep now haha.

#15 Posted by comp_atkins (35346 posts) -

maybe 40-50 hours at the most.

#16 Edited by tocool340 (21272 posts) -

*sigh* 12 days straight. One of my molars broke in half and I ended up in the most horrific pain I've ever felt. I couldn't afford to go to the dentist back then so I had to endure 2-3 weeks of mostly sleepless nights and agonizing pain. Eventually, my body said "to hell with pain! I'm shutting down!" and I was able to get a few hours of rest before the pain reminded me who's in charge. Besides the nagging nerve pain radiating throughout my entire face, the lack of sleep was taking its toll on my mental state too. I'd say after day 3 of no sleep, I felt like shit. And every day after was me battling pain, jitters, shakes, and my senses going out of wack. I had absolutely no fun throughout that experience. Thankfully, the pain went away a little after week 3....

#17 Posted by Pcmasterrace69 (319 posts) -

Leaving heroin 3 weeks straight. Blackouts of 30 min to 2 hours happened but Im not sure if some were just memory lost from too long awake or if I did really sleep a bit.

After day 3 I alluncinated bad it was horrible. Then the blackouts and memory loss started and it was just like being tortured in an endless loop in hell.

Ater 3 weeks was able to sleep again a few hours a day.

#18 Posted by plageus900 (2552 posts) -

@ArchoNils2: Yeah, it's starting to catch up with me. My work isn't just a just a job, it's my career and I'm only going back to school to add more ass to my arsenal. If it gets to the point where I can't juggle it anymore, I'll end up dropping out of school. I've been doing it for 3 years now.

#19 Posted by warmblur (1098 posts) -

I hate that feeling of no sleep but when I was a kid I could handle it much better the longest I probably stayed up was two nights maybe 3 hard to say.

#20 Posted by with_teeth26 (9102 posts) -

40-50 hours, when travelling from the jungle of Peru back home through a series of flights/waiting at airports.

some people can sleep on planes, or at airports, I am not one of them.

#21 Posted by Jag85 (12408 posts) -

Several days.

#22 Posted by omegaMaster (1022 posts) -

Probably 22 hours. It happened just that one time when I was in secondary school. Was too warm and wide awake. Was horrible getting just 2-hour sleep. Felt sleepy through the day. Should have taken the day off.

#23 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15560 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah I had a hard time transitioning to graveyard shift once, I started seeing things in my peripheral vision. It was weird. Like I was good for everything straight ahead but the things on the outside started to get blurry and...made up.

Yup! Straight ahead was fine, in my peripheral vision I kept seeing smoke. Like, it didn't just look like smoke, it moved like smoke. And this was out of both eyes. And I was already paranoid.

#24 Posted by ZakSaturday (7 posts) -

Probably two days, it was in year 2016 when i created my own website.

#25 Posted by TheFlush (5923 posts) -

40 hours, after trying speed one night. I won't be doing that again, it sucked. And I don't recommend doing that to anyone either. Believe me, it's not worth it.

#27 Edited by watercrack445 (839 posts) -

A full day or two

At one point in life I was getting very little sleep that I started seeing spiders. This happened for a week or two. For the rest of the week I was able to conjure spiders and make them disappear. But, unfortunately I was the only one able to see them. That was the closest superpower I ever experienced.

It all started one night when I was in bed on my phone. I randomly looked up the ceiling and a big spider with long skinny legs moved toward me.. (I don't know the name of the species of the spider but these spiders are kind of transparent with tan tone and have long skinny legs. ) The Spider slings down towards me and at first I thought it was real but it was fake.

I started screaming.

#28 Posted by thehig1 (7006 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

Jesus!!

#29 Edited by sakaiXx (4185 posts) -

1 and half or 2 full days. Playing games or gets overly excited for school/university tournaments back then. Nowadays I need at least 6 hours sleep just so I can function.

#30 Posted by sonicare (56275 posts) -

56 hours. Before better regulations on work. Though, i think after a certain time, your mind shuts off for quick moments.

#32 Posted by AcidTango (1547 posts) -

For me it was 32 hours and this was recently. I couldn't go to sleep that night and what's worse is I had to go to my job and work for 12 hours that day. It was horrible because not only was I very tired but I felt very sick as well.

Avatar image for flexibility1312
#33 Posted by Flexibility1312 (4 posts) -

36h, i saw a huge black horse in the middle of my room and started screaming, then i got high and went to sleep

#34 Posted by LordLobster (187 posts) -
@watercrack445 said:

A full day or two

At one point in life I was getting very little sleep that I started seeing spiders. This happened for a week or two. For the rest of the week I was able to conjure spiders and make them disappear. But, unfortunately I was the only one able to see them. That was the closest superpower I ever experienced.

It all started one night when I was in bed on my phone. I randomly looked up the ceiling and a big spider with long skinny legs moved toward me.. (I don't know the name of the species of the spider but these spiders are kind of transparent with tan tone and have long skinny legs. ) The Spider slings down towards me and at first I thought it was real but it was fake.

I started screaming.

I once had a hallucination of a giant spider and I almost jumped out of the top of a bunk bed because of it. Years later I jumped out of 2nd story window while asleep but that's a different story.

#35 Posted by XVision84 (14422 posts) -

Almost 48 hours. School and work can get rough on ya :P. I crashed and slept so well afterwards.

#36 Posted by Longsnout (138 posts) -

Day, day and a half.

#37 Edited by BlueIon (8 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: I had the same thing happen to me. No sleep for 7 days is horrible, I had to go back on the medication I was on to sleep. I had gone off it with the doctors approval and he ended up putting me back on it. I think I’m stuck on it now for good...:( Was hoping to be able to go off it because it makes me way to hungry.

Oh well “if you want to rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain” lol

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#38 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (124 posts) -

A few days here and there, mostly on nights I get my data. Other times I can't sleep because of...I have no idea.