What's the big deal about Star Wars?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nekrothing
Member since 2008 • 387 Posts

Prequel movies are terrible, A New Hope is boring, The Empire Strikes Back is decent (although it wasn't even directed by Lucas), and Return of the Jedi is ridiculous (big badass empire taken down by teddy bears using sticks and rocks).

When people say how good Star Wars is, I'm pretty much convinced they're blinded by nostalgia.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

I think the lore and character design is pretty badass as far as science fiction goes. Other than that, I never saw the appeal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
The lore, the expanded universe, the tv shows and videogames and books.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
The lore, the expanded universe, the tv shows and videogames and books.FrostyPhantasm
:lol: Pretty much everything apart from the movies is good.
4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts
the universe it resides in is well structured and allows the human mind to wander and want more.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]The lore, the expanded universe, the tv shows and videogames and books.JohnF111
:lol: Pretty much everything apart from the movies is good.

Well the expanded universe is pretty dark, even the teletoon shows are darker than the movies. Thats why i hope the next 3 aren't as family friendly.
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
I don't really know or care to much about Star Wars, but these types of comments are idiotic. You should state this in a form that gives explicit detail and also clearly states that it is your opinion. Since when are you the authority on what is good art and what isn't?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I really enjoy the original Star Wars trilogy. They are, in my opinion, the perfect sci-fi adventure movies. Just about everything outside those 3 movies is unnecessary milkage.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The original movies are just awesome, despite their flaws. Empire Strikes Back is still my all time favorite movie.

I don't think the prequels are really as terrible as many people make them out to be. They are enjoyable to certain degress, espcially episode 3. Although Jar Jar is just awful.

The expanded universe is great. some really awesome books comics and video games. Not to mention the character designs made for some awesome toys back in the day.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

The original movies are just awesome, despite their flaws. Empire Strikes Back is still my all time favorite movie.

I don't think the prequels are really as terrible as many people make them out to be. They are enjoyable to certain degress, espcially episode 3. Although Jar Jar is just awful.

The expanded universe is great. some really awesome books comics and video games. Not to mention the character designs made for some awesome toys back in the day.

turtlethetaffer

I'm pretty sure the prequels are really as terrible as many people say. They're good looking, and have good music, but they're completely empty otherwise.

OMG, I didn't know you could expand the quick reply/quote window!!! This is glorious!

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
The force is weak with the OP.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I like the warships and starfighters along with space battles and dogfights.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

part of the initial explosion of the series popularity was just that there hadn't been a movie of that scale getting that kind of budget for that generation. so you get something like the 1933 king kong which was big budget, large scale, and a big deal at the time of release (and it was really more innovative filmmaking too), but by the late 70's it's not going to resonate with mass audiences in the same way.

but beyond that, i think the original trilogy are good films. they're a silly fantasy, but they're also based around a bunch of classic myths with some good characters. that said, i could live without them.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Everything is awesome, the charcters, the lore, the space battles, land battles, saber duals, the huge universe.
nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nekrothing

I don't think the prequels are really as terrible as many people make them out to be.turtlethetaffer

Everything you just said became invalid in an instant. There are people who think Dragonball Evolution is a good movie, but that doesn't mean that it is. Similarly, the Prequel trilogy is terrible even though you think that it isn't.

From the responses so far, nostalgia does seem to be the number one factor when it comes to Star Wars. The movies are lackluster, this much is certain. As far as the Expanded Universe is concerned, it's an incoherent mess that contradicts itself constantly.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]I don't think the prequels are really as terrible as many people make them out to be.nekrothing

Everything you just said became invalid in an instant. There are people who think Dragonball Evolution is a good movie, but that doesn't mean that it is. Similarly, the Prequel trilogy is terrible even though you think that it isn't.

From the responses so far, nostalgia does seem to be the number one factor when it comes to Star Wars. The movies are lackluster, this much is certain. As far as the Expanded Universe is concerned, it's an incoherent mess that contradicts itself constantly.

By this logic, your op is just as invalid........
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Okay, just ignore the dynamic duo of R2-D2 and C-3PO!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Beats me. I kind of like the original films, but I thought Episodes 1-3 were pretty bad.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#19 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Did you actually watched it or are you one those people that whine because something is popular?

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nekrothing

Did you actually watched it or are you one those people that whine because something is popular?

Legend002

No, I live under a rock and I've never seen Star Wars. What a stupid question.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

its pretty cheap fiction if you ask me

although Empire was amazing. 

rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

because the films are many people's dreams in motion. having unbelievable technology at your hands, flying through space, travelling to exotic locations, meeting wacky and interesting characters...i mean, who wouldn't want to live the star wars universe?

the themes and archtypes used in the movies are also fairly palatable to the general public, even if the plot and writing is sorta banal

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

because the films are many people's dreams in motion. having unbelievable technology at your hands, flying through space, travelling to exotic locations, meeting wacky and interesting characters...i mean, who wouldn't want to live the star wars universe?

the themes and archtypes used in the movies are also fairly palatable to the general public, even if the plot and writing is sorta banal

rocinante_

That's the issue I've always had with Star Wars.

George Lucas is great with the technology and visuals, but I don't think he's very adept at dealing with scenes involving human interaction.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

its pretty cheap fiction if you ask me

although Empire was amazing. 

BossPerson

I don't understand?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

GreySeal9

George Lucas is great with the technology and visuals, but I don't think he's very adept at dealing with scenes involving human interaction.

I'm amazed that he wrote A New Hope.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#26 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I always thought Star Wars was dated and it only worked for its time imo.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

GreySeal9

ya, but good thing we got the expanded universe. i haven't delved into the eu too much besides some games and reading star wars wiki (just not really a fan of star wars), but the snippets i have experienced were full of great characters and expansive stories--way more dense than the films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

if you don't like them then you don't like them, whats to discuss?

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

The soundtrack

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I've always enjoyed the original trilogy. And the universe itself is a pretty awesome bit of fiction.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Prequel movies are terrible, A New Hope is boring, The Empire Strikes Back is decent (although it wasn't even directed by Lucas), and Return of the Jedi is ridiculous (big badass empire taken down by teddy bears using sticks and rocks).

When people say how good Star Wars is, I'm pretty much convinced they're blinded by nostalgia.

nekrothing

I don't understand why some people seem to think their opinion is the only opinion that matters in a world where their opinion is irrelevant.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

I think it was probably amazing when it came out, but now we have so much more to compare to.

Like, Sailor Moon. I thought it was the best anime ever, but after a few decades, it simply becomes "meh..."

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

The universe, lore, tech even some of the spiritual matter are pretty interesting. It's a shame is all wrapped about bad dialogue and acting.

Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Scarebaby
Member since 2008 • 1273 Posts

The first film (1977) is superb but other than that I much prefer Star Trek. I think what makes Star Wars so grand is that it's available and relatable to everyone, not just the sci-fi fans. It's sort of gentle, mainstream sci-fi.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
it needs to be taken into perspective with regards to when it was released. the original star wars pretty much blew away anything in the space sci-fi world as far as visual effects at the time.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#37 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
wait how come that when I say "star wars sucks" everyone comes in and defends star wars, but when some random user makes a thread about how it sucks, everyone agree all of a sudden?
Blutenmonat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blutenmonat
Member since 2013 • 70 Posts

Legend002

Yeah, because eveyone who watched Star Wars has to like Star Wars!:roll: