What's Portland like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lucianocasanova
lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lucianocasanova
Member since 2014 • 813 Posts

I heard is like the best city in the country(which I find hard to believe since the media loves to hype things up)

-considered to be least racist city in the U.S

- allows public nudity

-considered to be the cleanest city in America

-least obese city in the country

-allowed Gay Marriage before any other city

The list goes on and on. But is it really like that. I need only people living there to answer the question.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

I live across the columbia river from it and go there quite often. There are a lot of people walking and bicycle riding everywhere. Everyone has rail thin stick legs and skinny jeans (if not dressed in a business suit), there are max trains everywhere, which share the road with cars, there are 100 + year old houses in some areas, and in some areas there are gangs and hookers. Portland has a few nice parks, parts of the city are old enough to find silver coins with a metal detector. It's a very weird place--a family member who works there spotted dildos all over power lines across the city. This was in the news recently--some guy was giving them away for free and now there's apparently dildo litter everywhere. As for nudity, sometimes they do marathons or naked bike riding and the police don't seem to enforce any kind of "decency" laws whenever some mob decides to strip.

The place is a singularity of hipsters and new age thinking.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3  Edited By iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

it is a basic component of concrete, mortar and stucco and incredibly more interesting than the city in Oregon.

I have worked with one and spent some time in the other.

my stepdad was a contractor and I was McChord for awhile.

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lucianocasanova

@6_Dead_360s said:

I live across the columbia river from it and go there quite often. There are a lot of people walking and bicycle riding everywhere. Everyone has rail thin stick legs and skinny jeans (if not dressed in a business suit), there are max trains everywhere, which share the road with cars, there are 100 + year old houses in some areas, and in some areas there are gangs and hookers. Portland has a few nice parks, parts of the city are old enough to find silver coins with a metal detector. It's a very weird place--a family member who works there spotted dildos all over power lines across the city. This was in the news recently--some guy was giving them away for free and now there's apparently dildo litter everywhere. As for nudity, sometimes they do marathons or naked bike riding and the police don't seem to enforce any kind of "decency" laws whenever some mob decides to strip.

The place is a singularity of hipsters and new age thinking.

are the other things true?

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lucianocasanova

@thegerg said:

Which Portland are we talking about?

Oregon

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

@lucianocasanova said:

Haven't heard of racism or gay bashing here, and I never see any problems in the news about it either. They tried to fluoridate the water a year or two back and the whole city revolted against it, so people here are very health conscious and "aware" of things citizens of others cities may not have even heard of.

-Which Portland are we talking about?

Oregon. Only logical conclusion drawn when op is asking about nudity.

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lucianocasanova

@6_Dead_360s said:
@lucianocasanova said:

Haven't heard of racism or gay bashing here, and I never see any problems in the news about it either. They tried to fluoridate the water a year or two back and the whole city revolted against it, so people here are very health conscious and "aware" of things citizens of others cities may not have even heard of.

-Which Portland are we talking about?

Oregon. Only logical conclusion drawn when op is asking about nudity.

@lucianocasanova said:
@thegerg said:

Which Portland are we talking about?

Oregon

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I know it's one of the last major-ish US cities that still has a white majority.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamerguru100

@lucianocasanova said:

I heard is like the best city in the country(which I find hard to believe since the media loves to hype things up)

-considered to be least racist city in the U.S

Cities aren't racist. People are.

- allows public nudity

Ew.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2125 Posts

I live very close. I dig the vibe and culture. Very liberal, alternative, hippy, new age style with very unique and bizarre people but accepting of everyone. Very nature and environment friendly with many bikers. Pretty awesome city honestly

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18358 Posts

@lucianocasanova said:

- allows public nudity

?

@gamerguru100 said:

I know it's one of the last major-ish US cities that still has a white majority.

lol

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5397 Posts

You can get bacon on a doughnut there.

Seriously keep Portland weird and keep it away from me.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamerguru100

@magicalclick said:

@lucianocasanova:

Least racism city is misleading when the city is still mostly white. Asian and Hispanic population is very low. Sure they respects Asian and Hispanic, but that's only because those people haven't took their jorb.

It shouldn't even be in the equation. People are racist, not cities.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gamerguru100
@PSP107 said:

@gamerguru100 said:

lol

What's funny? It's true. Only a handful of cities over 500,000 people still have white majorities, and those majorities will soon turn to pluralities as the Hispanic and Asian populations grow.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamerguru100

@magicalclick said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@magicalclick said:

@lucianocasanova:

Least racism city is misleading when the city is still mostly white. Asian and Hispanic population is very low. Sure they respects Asian and Hispanic, but that's only because those people haven't took their jorb.

It shouldn't even be in the equation. People are racist, not cities.

hmm................. ok.............. thanks..................

You're welcome.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PSP107

@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:

lol

What's funny? It's true. Only a handful of cities over 500,000 people still have white majorities, and those majorities will soon turn to pluralities as the Hispanic and Asian populations grow.

You sound disappointed?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamerguru100

@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:

lol

You sound disappointed?

lolwut

I'm just stating facts. I'm just wondering why you thought it was funny.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107

@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:

lol

You sound disappointed?

lolwut

It was funny because you didn't have to bring that up. Then when you gave me that stat, it almost sound liked you're not happy about Hispanics/Asians taking over your hood,

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamerguru100

@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:

lol

You sound disappointed?

lolwut

It was funny because you didn't have to bring that up. Then when you gave me that stat, it almost sound liked you're not happy about Hispanics/Asians taking over your hood,

The hell? My "hood"? I don't live anywhere near Portland. I just stated something I know about Portland and now you're being some douche about it. I don't know how it sounds like I'm not happy about it either. My posts seem neutral sounding to me. You're the only one making a big deal about it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107

@gamerguru100:

Umm I'm not saying you in Portland, you bought up handful of cities.

And I didn't made a big deal you did idiot. Hence why I lauhed

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@PSP107 said:

@gamerguru100:

He didn't make a big deal, he stated a fact. The reason why he stated that fact is it is related to one of the points/questions originally asked (least racist city). The people there are very tolerant from what I understand, however, it's not exactly a very diverse place. The city is overwhelmingly white even by suburb standards.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Since its close to the Goonie house, i say it must be awesome ! But i did hear there is some sort of racist issues up there.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

If by least racist you mean most racist: http://nationalreport.net/portland-oregon-deemed-racist-city-united-states/

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gamerguru100

@PSP107 said:

@gamerguru100:

Then what the **** does "your hood" refer to then?

And I didn't make any big deal at all. Simply stating a fact is not a big deal....at all.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107

@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:

@gamerguru100:

And I didn't make any big deal at all. Simply stating a fact is not a big deal....at all.

I was referring to your comment based on your stat that maybe your hood is next of increase diversity.

You didn't make a big deal, but what makes you think I did? And yet you resulted into insults.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gamerguru100

@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:

@gamerguru100:

I was referring to your comment based on your stat that maybe your hood is next of increase diversity.

You didn't make a big deal, but what makes you think I did? And yet you resulted into insults.

Asking why it was funny is making it a big deal? Your "hood" and "You sound disappointed" comments were implying I was bigoted, which was why I got defensive.

I live in a moderately diverse area, and it doesn't bother me a bit. Both Portland and the suburb I live in have a similar percentage of whites with a growing minority population. I simply stated a fact, which was Portland only being a handful of major cities still containing a white majority. Seems neutral to me.

Honestly, I think we're both over blowing this. Seems like a waste of time to keep bickering back and forth over this crap, unless you just like raising your post count. :P

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PSP107

@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:

@gamerguru100:

Asking why it was funny is making it a big deal? Your "hood" and "You sound disappointed" comments were implying I was bigoted, which was why I got defensive.

I live in a moderately diverse area, and it doesn't bother me a bit. Both Portland and the suburb I live in have a similar percentage of whites with a growing minority population. I simply stated a fact, which was Portland only being a handful of major cities still containing a white majority. Seems neutral to me.

Honestly, I think we're both over blowing this. Seems like a waste of time to keep bickering back and forth over this crap, unless you just like raising your post count. :P

No I wasn't implying that.

You maybe stating a fact, but I don't know why you got so sensitive when I said "you sound disappointed" When you gave that stat, you can't blame people for reading it in a different context.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamerguru100

@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@PSP107 said:

@gamerguru100:

No I wasn't implying that.

You maybe stating a fact, but I don't know why you got so sensitive when I said "you sound disappointed" When you gave that stat, you can't blame people for reading it in a different context.

I suppose context does matter here. Nonetheless it was just neutral fact stating, and nothing else.

Good day to you! :)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@6_Dead_360s: Sounds like a GTA game.

CanadianEh

Forum Posts