What's better for building my biceps?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
More weight with fewer repetitions, or less weight with lots of repetitions?
mira_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 mira_alex
Member since 2007 • 860 Posts
If you want them cut them less weight with more rep.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
Umm let's see.. more weight with fewer reps is for building a lot of muscle and little weight with a lot of reps is for tone..
rastaman219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rastaman219
Member since 2006 • 3032 Posts

more weight fewer reps as then ya slowly building up ya strength on something heavier, instead of poitlessly using a weight u can alreadfy do numerous times, trust.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts
High weight, low reps for building.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Umm let's see.. more weight with fewer reps is for building a lot of muscle and little weight with a lot of reps is for tone.. DeeJayInphinity

So if I want to increase both muscle mass and get better tone, what do you recommend?

I'm just asking, because I think I'm going to buy some weights, and I'm wondering whether I should get heavy weights or light weights.

If I want to increase mass AND tone, should I get heavy weights AND light weights?

L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts

High weight, low reps for building._BlueDuck_

We have a winner! Thats how its done 8)

AsinineZomg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AsinineZomg
Member since 2006 • 709 Posts
McDonald's thrice daily.
KingPeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KingPeru
Member since 2004 • 4613 Posts
more weight more reps
done
next thread plz
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Maybe do something like start off with lighter weights until your tone increases, then start lifting more weight so you're already cut, but then you start developing better muscle? I dunno, I'm cut but definately not really strong so I couldn't tell you
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]Umm let's see.. more weight with fewer reps is for building a lot of muscle and little weight with a lot of reps is for tone.. MrGeezer

So if I want to increase both muscle mass and get better tone, what do you recommend?

I'm just asking, because I think I'm going to buy some weights, and I'm wondering whether I should get heavy weights or light weights.

If I want to increase mass AND tone, should I get heavy weights AND light weights?

Yeah, I suppose.. I'm thinking it's easier to go on the heavy weights right now and once you are happy with that, just maintain your muscle tone by lifting medium weights and doing a lot of reps with that.

By medium weights I mean something that doesn't stress you out but that's not too light.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]Umm let's see.. more weight with fewer reps is for building a lot of muscle and little weight with a lot of reps is for tone.. MrGeezer

Just go high weight. The only effective way to build any muscle is that way. Bigger biceps will make them seem toner anyhow.Tone mostly has to do with your fat percentage. And really the only way to deal with that is of course, lose fat.

alpha_company

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 alpha_company
Member since 2004 • 1817 Posts

If you lift heavy weights, you will build muscle, but I think if you lift lighter weights lots of times you'll be toned.

What I mean is that if you lift heavy weights, your muscle won't seem too big (toned) even though you can lift much heavier weights than guys with bigger muscles.

If you just want to look toned, try lifting medium weights numerous times. You won't be that strong but your muscles will look a lot better/bigger.

Bigger looking muscles doesn't mean that it's stronger...it just looks bigger.

WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WushuFighter
Member since 2007 • 1837 Posts

Jesus christ some of you obviously havent lifted before.

Low reps, highweight= strength and explosive power

Medium reps, medium weight = mix of muscle endurance and power(great for beginners)

High reps, low weight = muscle endurance(also great for beginners)

What you want to do is to do compound exercises instead of targeting single muscle groups(unless you really need to shape a certain muscle). If you just do bicep exercises, you are going to have strong biceps but weaker triceps and shoulders. This will increase the risk of injury when doing other single muscle targeted lifts. So choose an upperbody compound lift such as military press, precher(wrong spelling?)curls, and there are others that you can search on google for. But if all you have is dumbells, do bicep curls, hammer curls, flys, and shoulder presses. Just be sure to besafe and fun training.

Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]High weight, low reps for building.L8erSquare

We have a winner! Thats how its done 8)

I dunno, do that to much and you'll get crazy big muscle that's barely usable. :o oh noers
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
The key is a good mix....and different excercises....your muscels will remember the excercises they do so it's up to you to mix up the routine......Bar Curls, Dumbell Curls., preachure curls, concentration curlsl, isolation curls, ezbar curls....they all hit the bicep head at differnt angles maximizing your muscel growth.....and mix in a few days of doing high rep low weight to work on getting cut.....the key to getting cut is just low bodyfat......
HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/
http://crossfit.com/

Build your legs and it will stimulate your arms...

Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
lifting weights. curls specifically.
Avatar image for Denjin_hadouken
Denjin_hadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Denjin_hadouken
Member since 2007 • 5927 Posts
More weight with limitless repetition.
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
also make sure you eat a lot... its very difficult to build muscle your body needs the energy
HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
Indeed, eat right...

its very hard to gain muscle when you have two lazy ass parents that refuse to go to the store. I had about 2/3 cup of past this morning and that was about it... not even FKNing soap to wash a bowl out with!

Going on about two days that I haven't gotten much... which basically means I'm going to be gainning FAT when I actually do get to eat again...

*tries not to move so he doesn't demand much intake*

---

A well stocked kitchen is key to bodybuilding, powerlifting, or weight loss. Yes, fat loss, EAT to lose fat people... EAT, power lift, then run a bit.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
Hey guys, to make a long story short, my friend and I almost got jumped yesterday. :shock: So basically that's motivated me to get in better physical shape i.e. running, pushups, situps, etc. but besides that stuff, what do you guys recommend for me to do to just get all around stronger?
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

Hey guys, to make a long story short, my friend and I almost got jumped yesterday. :shock: So basically that's motivated me to get in better physical shape i.e. running, pushups, situps, etc. but besides that stuff, what do you guys recommend for me to do to just get all around stronger?Forerunner-117
If you want to get all around stronger, nothing is better than playing a sport, really. Start swimming daily because that works a ton of muscle groups. Don't do any running, unless you want to lose weight.

If you want your triceps to get strong, do the opposite of what a push up is. lay on your back, keep your legs straigh( or elevated on a stool) and arms straight and start lifting your body up and down

Avatar image for Kritical_Strike
Kritical_Strike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Kritical_Strike
Member since 2006 • 4123 Posts
It's well known that smaller weights with more reps will build lean, tight biceps. If you want to look beef just do a few reps with a huge weight.
solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
Hey guys, to make a long story short, my friend and I almost got jumped yesterday. :shock: So basically that's motivated me to get in better physical shape i.e. running, pushups, situps, etc. but besides that stuff, what do you guys recommend for me to do to just get all around stronger?Forerunner-117
Swim. Easily the best way to get into shape. Stronger, faster, better looking. Swimming does them all!