What's a movie you would always stop and watch while flipping through channels

#1 Posted by Serraph105 (33639 posts) -

Back when people still flipped through channels that is.

I had this discussion tonight with my family and it was clear that people weren't picking their all time favorite films, but stuff that's usually more consumable than the big dramatic movies that most people hold in the highest regard. For me the movie that came to mind was Tommy Boy, it's not even in my top 5 movies of all time, but I would always stop and watch that for a while if it was on tv.

So what's your answer for this?

#2 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15703 posts) -

The most recent movie that I did this was Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke. I was flipping through, and came across an airing on IFC. It was the scene where they were driving back from Mexico in a van made of weed, and neither of them knew it. Seen it a million times, but it's a go-to movie for a good laugh.

#3 Edited by DEVILinIRON (4768 posts) -

Any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Haven't been huge into comedies lately but I would probably stop for most of Jim Carrey's comedies.

#4 Posted by Serraph105 (33639 posts) -

@DEVILinIRON said:

Any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Haven't been huge into comedies lately but I would probably stop for most of Jim Carrey's comedies.

Love Lord of the Rings and I have definitely stopped and watched it before, but I probably wouldn't do it every time just due to the length, and because it's not usually the directors cut on tv which is ironically even longer. Ace Ventura when Nature Calls and Liar Liar definitely qualify though. Both are so good.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#5 Posted by SuperfluousReal (223 posts) -

Planes Trains & Automobiles.

#6 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15936 posts) -

80's comedies are gold. Caddyshack, Airplane, Police Academy, Top Secret, European Vacation, TMftT...that sort of thing.

#7 Posted by johnd13 (9689 posts) -

Any action movie with Tom Cruise in it.

#8 Posted by warmblur (2127 posts) -

Probably Half Baked, The Craft, The Chase, Airheads, Poison Ivy ect... also remember the TV guide channel? man I spent alot of time watching it scroll. lol

#9 Posted by Speeny (1479 posts) -

To name a couple probably Uncle Buck or Gremlins. Random I know. Lol

#10 Posted by Jake_M_ (5 posts) -

Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter

#11 Posted by comp_atkins (35580 posts) -

shawshank

seems like that movie is on all the time.

#12 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1396 posts) -

Too many to name. I'm glad those times are over. No more 640x480i with almost half the picture missing, censorship and frequent commercial brakes. That's no way to watch a movie.