What you do not mind spending money?

#1 Posted by Quranin (21 posts) -

What you do not mind spending money and why?

#2 Posted by thehig1 (7001 posts) -

What ?

#3 Edited by omegaMaster (1018 posts) -

I don't mind spending on food. I mean... I need to stay alive.

#4 Edited by DaVillain- (32886 posts) -

I don't mind spending money on Hookers XD

#5 Posted by PSP107 (17280 posts) -

@thehig1:

I think he/she means money you don't mind spending on.

#6 Posted by Horgen (118713 posts) -

@omegamaster said:

I don't mind spending on food. I mean... I need to stay alive.

Buying food is only for the weak. Real man go out and hunt their prey. :P

#7 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42322 posts) -

Food. I Like to cook, quality is important to me. Same with drinks, I don't drink bottom shelf booze, and I've spent 40 dollars on a beer before.

Computer components. I only add something/upgrade my PC every couple years, it's important I future proof it, so I generally spend more than I need.

and, of course, video games. You know the female stereotype of "having to buy something because it's on sale"? That's sort of like me with games; if there's a game I am even remotely interested in and it's only five bucks, I buy it. Don't care how big my backlog is.

#9 Edited by Hekarim (7 posts) -

On the family! On parents, girls! Fun, games! FOOD!

#10 Posted by Herrinha (6 posts) -

I am sure that there are so many things to spend on them. On relatives and friends. On love, sex and romance. On fun, games and computer. For all that pleasure.

#11 Posted by Ovirew (8392 posts) -

This year I spent too much money on going to sports bars and eating and drinking alcohol. I'm kind of starting to cut back now. But Idk, I guess I felt like I needed it to help cheer me up and get me through some crappy stuff.

I got a new job and I think it makes me feel a little more hopeful about next year than I had been, but even that adds new worries and I wonder how I'm going to do there long-term. Lately I've been kind of depressed, but I'm kind of trying to refocus on some games that I'm excited to play to keep myself optimistic.

I think you need to have something you can be excited about and invested in. Some people probably think it's crazy that I want to pay $15 a month to play a game from 2004, but talk about World of Warcraft Classic has me really anxious to play games again.

#12 Posted by theone86 (22301 posts) -

Music and movies. Gotta get those endorphins flowing somehow.

@mrbojangles25 said:

and, of course, video games. You know the female stereotype of "having to buy something because it's on sale"? That's sort of like me with games; if there's a game I am even remotely interested in and it's only five bucks, I buy it. Don't care how big my backlog is.

I used to do this, until I realized how big a chunk it was eating out of my budget and what else I could be spending it on. Especially with the backlog thing. If I play a game a ton I'm fine with it, but if it's just going to sit in my queue I don't see the point. People get way too bent out of shape about other people spending their money on entertainment, but I think it's better to spend money on something you'll actually enjoy rather than have it sit unused.

#13 Posted by pyro1245 (4235 posts) -

Pretty much anything that's not taxes :)

If I wants, I gets.

• Food/Drink of all sorts
  • Computer hardware and expensive, unnecessary enterprise networking gear :)
  • Tools/Tooling for the Mill/lathe
  • Electronics projects
  • games

Really gaming is one of my cheaper hobbies by comparison.

I'm much more stingy with my time.

#14 Posted by Serraph105 (32938 posts) -

Basically food (shit from a grocery store, not expensive meals out) and items that I know I will get many years use out of a tv, furniture, computer components, tools, etc. Also, stuff that will save me money over the long term, for instance I bought a modem recently so that I would no longer be renting one for $10/month. Not a huge save, but that adds up.

#15 Edited by TryIt (12779 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

Basically food (shit from a grocery store, not expensive meals out) and items that I know I will get many years use out of a tv, furniture, computer components, tools, etc. Also, stuff that will save me money over the long term, for instance I bought a modem recently so that I would no longer be renting one for $10/month. Not a huge save, but that adds up.

similar.

I dont mind paying more for what could be better quality for things that I need, will use a lot etc ...and.....food (if the food is healthy) cuz i figure with as much bad food as I eat, eating healthy food is worth it regardless

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (29108 posts) -

If a humble deal pops up. Goes to charity, get games probably buy anyway.

Sometimes they have nice deals with unrelated game stuff.

#17 Posted by Bob_Bork (8 posts) -

What?

#18 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42322 posts) -

@theone86 said:

Music and movies. Gotta get those endorphins flowing somehow.

@mrbojangles25 said:

I used to do this, until I realized how big a chunk it was eating out of my budget and what else I could be spending it on. Especially with the backlog thing. If I play a game a ton I'm fine with it, but if it's just going to sit in my queue I don't see the point. People get way too bent out of shape about other people spending their money on entertainment, but I think it's better to spend money on something you'll actually enjoy rather than have it sit unused.

I've been leaning more towards this lately, to be honest. The other day I bought Phantom Doctrine (great X-COM meets espionage game, by the way!) because it was 30 bucks instead of 50 and, while it's an amazing and underrated game, I just haven't put many hours into it because I have other stuff to play. I sort of regret it; not because it's a bad game, but because I realized I sort of do that too often and it adds up.

I like to collect games, but at the same time I need to keep it realistic.

#19 Posted by Speeny (584 posts) -

Food. Buying DVD’s and Blu-rays are my guilty pleasure.

#20 Posted by comp_atkins (35342 posts) -

these days i seem to mind spending money on anything. i guess that's the psychology of seeing markets tanking and having a new baby on the way....

#21 Posted by Sevenizz (2175 posts) -

I have too little respect for money if I’m being honest. I buy a game, play it for 20 minutes, and possibly never touch it again. I’m not saying it’s a bad game, but I’m forever looking for the ‘next thing’ far too quickly. If I respected money more, I’d wait for that game to inevitably come down in price and buy it later.

#22 Posted by johnd13 (9490 posts) -

Travelling. Not that I've made many trips but I'm always willing to spend as much as necessary.

#23 Posted by Ovirew (8392 posts) -

I think in regards to the game collection thing, I've always been bad at getting a new console and only buying games I'll like best and have the time to play.

A few months later I'll have spent all this money on dozens of games, Idk why it always comes to that. Then I end up getting into a financial bind and selling it all for extra cash! lol.

I think that's why I just want to stick to a few Blizzard games. All launch from the same client and are pretty involved.

#24 Posted by Peasly (225 posts) -

A really good game. The latest tech.. Food..

#25 Posted by Vaidream45 (1412 posts) -

@davillain-: hahahahaha

#26 Edited by qx0d (132 posts) -

I have realized that... going to restaurants is one of the best things to do with your money.

I don't mean fast food places like Burger King or Subway, I mean restaurants. Places like Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, fine dining, etc.

When I got a paycheck from working, restaurants were definitely the best thing to do. I took the family out to eat. Restaurants and traveling are the best things to do with your money. These are unique experiences. These are memorable experiences. They aren't Burger King or Wendy's.

I can't imagine wasting paycheck money, by taking the family to Mcdonald's. Mcdonald's is too cheap, and therefore seems like just wasting money. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but a nice restaurant is better.

So yeah... restaurants, traveling, etc, are a couple of the best things to spend money on. Anything that is a memorable, unique experience. You might add museums, camping, hiking, theme parks, zoos, cruises, etc, to the list. Experiences stay with you for life.

Even things like video games, Netflix, etc, are just a waste of money, really. I realized all this when I started working and getting my paychecks, that experiences are the best.

#27 Posted by npiet1 (1301 posts) -

I don't like spending money on myself, only if I have too. My misses is happy with it though and buys the stuff I want (we've got a joint account).

#28 Posted by Robbie23 (92 posts) -

Camera equipment and traveling.

#29 Edited by HEATHEN75 (489 posts) -

My spare cash usually goes to comic books, action figures and eating/drinking out. Gotta take the wife out once in awhile.

#30 Posted by xBlackErrthing (97 posts) -

Food, Bills, entertainment such as movies, games etc etc.

#31 Posted by ycdeo (2663 posts) -

On a good second hand car.