What would you have done in this situation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MasonLovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MasonLovak
Member since 2011 • 741 Posts

Hey guys, I found out that a my sisters friends brother (thats a mouthful) is in a lot of trouble. Recently, a very drunk guy came up to him and threatened to kill him, and the brother (lets call him A) punched him. The drunk guy fell down and hit his head on the curb. This drunk guy is now in intensive care (I don't know how serious his condition is) and A has been arrested. A is now is quite a bit of bother and it looks like all the blame is falling onto him.

That pretty much all I know about the situation.

If you were A, what would you have done in his situation, and do you think his reaction was justified?

Personally, I would have tried to avoid the confrontation and I think punching the guy was an overreaction.

What about you guys?

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

a friend of my sister's brother MasonLovak

What does this even mean?

I would've walked away.

MasonLovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MasonLovak

[QUOTE="MasonLovak"]

a friend of my sister's brother Silverbond

Whoops :lol: let me edit that
ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts

[QUOTE="MasonLovak"]

a friend of my sister's brother Silverbond

I guess you just think of it as a relative's friend. I probably would've kicked the guy in the crotch and ran off.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

i would blow his face to see if he falls...

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

A is to blame, and is going to jail.

Sucks but its the law, A should not be sucker punching people.

because lets be honest, if some dude is drunk and you punch first... you are pretty much initiating the fight, against someone thats drunk and basically defenseless. A was feeling short in the pants that night, and was hoping to gain an inch by punching a witless drunk.

Ive seen alot of situational badasses in my day, willing to fight, but only if the other guy can barely stand up. Situational BA, is going to jail.

EDIT: and ill say one of my best friends is a situational badass, and called me a puss when i defused a fight with some drunks... i almost murdered him that night. Situational badasses should rot in prison imo.

NukaNuked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 NukaNuked
Member since 2011 • 973 Posts

I would've pissed on him.

Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

Probably would have tried to talk my way out of it.

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts
well, I'd laugh at the drunk guy and walk away. I wouldn't do anything to him unless he put a hand on me in an aggressive action. And I'd probably shove him away from me or restrain him. That's about it. If he fell over something and died I'd claim self defense. If it went to trial as man slaughter case I'd hope to have a competent judge or jury rule in my favor. The most likely thing I could see happening is a civil suit from the family, which I'd probably end up owing millions too for a wrongful death of their loved one. I'd hope that wouldn't happen but it's pretty common these days.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

I would tried my best to avoid the confrontation even if he threatened to kill me, there was no direct threat to my life I wouldn't have punched him. The only one losing would be me, I could get accused of aggression, assault or thrown in jail for other reason (like what is happening)

Of course if he was drunk and came with a knife at me, or a gun or a broken bottle I would've done more than a single punch because, even if I'm arrested, he was threatening my life and I have the right to defend myself, in that case words are useless.

Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

I don't know, I've never been in a situation like that. I've been surrounded by aggressive drunk people, but nobody has ever threatened to kill me. So I can't really answer that question.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

the best thing to do would be to avoid any confrontation.

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
I probably would've just force pushed him and ran away screaming like a girl.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
I don't know, I can't blame him for lashing out, especially if the guy said he was going to kill him :| I don't feel any pity for the drunk guy, but I think A is going to have some trouble explaining his actions.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Guy A should've punched him, call the ambulance, and ran away...I believe he had the right to hit him. The other guy was intoxicated and had an ill intent. But the law might say otherwise.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 markinthedark

I don't know, I can't blame him for lashing out, especially if the guy said he was going to kill him :| I don't feel any pity for the drunk guy, but I think A is going to have some trouble explaining his actions.Overlord93

you taking his economic and life advice pretty seriously as well? You took his death threat pretty seriously, so i assume you think all words from drunks are worth paying the utmost attention to.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]I don't know, I can't blame him for lashing out, especially if the guy said he was going to kill him :| I don't feel any pity for the drunk guy, but I think A is going to have some trouble explaining his actions.markinthedark

you taking his economic and life advice pretty seriously as well? You took his death threat pretty seriously, so i assume you think all words from drunks are worth paying the utmost attention to.

They choose to get drunk. They are responsible for their actions. Period.
DarkerGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkerGemini
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts

Sadly I think that person A is going to be having some trouble. Is it fair, not really if they were actually threatened. But, the way the situation ended, with a drunk in the curb, does not look good for someone who was sober at the time. It means that person A was in the right frame of mind as to where person B was not and could not really control their actions as well. Thus, the blame ends up falling on person A. In the end, when in that type of situation, its best to try and walk away. If it gets escalated beyond that, and becomes violent, call the cops.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markinthedark

I would tried my best to avoid the confrontation even if he threatened to kill me, there was no direct threat to my life I wouldn't have punched him. The only one losing would be me, I could get accused of aggression, assault or thrown in jail for other reason (like what is happening)

Of course if he was drunk and came with a knife at me, or a gun or a broken bottle I would've done more than a single punch because, even if I'm arrested, he was threatening my life and I have the right to defend myself, in that case words are useless.

Darthkaiser

here is a bit of life advice, nerds dont get shot. The only people that get shot... are people that want to do more than a single punch when the other guy has a gun. In any situiation, even if they dont have a weapon.... avoiding confrontation will produce the best results 100% of the time.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

They choose to get drunk. They are responsible for their actions. Period.Overlord93

Yeah, but punching him out and nearly killing him was the other guy's action.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]I don't know, I can't blame him for lashing out, especially if the guy said he was going to kill him :| I don't feel any pity for the drunk guy, but I think A is going to have some trouble explaining his actions.Overlord93

They choose to get drunk. They are responsible for their actions. Period.

and you always take the words of drunks in a literal fashion? Responsibility or not... if you choose to ignore everything they say, except for a threat that you take as invitation to fight them. You are a situational badass. Not capable of beating anyone up, besides drunks... but not when they are sober.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"] They choose to get drunk. They are responsible for their actions. Period.MrGeezer

True, but if it was me, I would not be prepared to wait and see how he was planning to kill me. but that's just me.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"] They choose to get drunk. They are responsible for their actions. Period.Overlord93

True, but if it was me, I would not be prepared to wait and see how he was planning to kill me. but that's just me.

Well, if you really thought he was planning on killing you, punching the guy generally isn't going to do much to stop him. If I thought someone was serious about trying to kill me, I sure as heck wouldn't be throwing punches. I'd be running as fast as I can.

My point being, throwing a punch like that isn't really the action of someone who seriously believes that his life is in danger. It's more the action of someone who's pissed off and wants to kick the other guy's ass. And that's not good enough reason for punching a person, regardless of whether or not he's drunk.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

Well, if you really thought he was planning on killing you, punching the guy generally isn't going to do much to stop him. If I thought someone was serious about trying to kill me, I sure as heck wouldn't be throwing punches. I'd be running as fast as I can.

My point being, throwing a punch like that isn't really the action of someone who seriously believes that his life is in danger. It's more the action of someone who's pissed off and wants to kick the other guy's ass. And that's not good enough reason for punching a person, regardless of whether or not he's drunk.

You're right, but I'm more of a:

"aaaaaaaah"

*scream like a little girl*

*slap*

*run away*

Kind of guy myself, thats just what I would do out of instinct. I ain't no steven seagal.

MasonLovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MasonLovak

MrGeezer

Yeah, I agree with MrGeezer here.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 markinthedark

MrGeezer

did someone institute a truth scale and give this guy a 100%? because i believe it.

If i think my life is in danger, i run like the dickens... i dont try to punch the killers and/or group killers in hopes thst my fist beats their knives and guns.

99.9% of the time, the person punching first is initiating the aggression.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 markinthedark

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"] True, but if it was me, I would not be prepared to wait and see how he was planning to kill me. but that's just me.MasonLovak

Yeah, I agree with MrGeezer here.

im gonna give you a valuable life lessson, the guilty party... never thinks they are guilty. Believe it or not.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

Throwing a punch that puts a guy on the curb is exactly what someone may do when in danger. In this case, it did stop him. It totally depends on the scenario, but if a guy were to threaten me up close and I was scared I'd try to knock him out in one punch. If you turn your back you're totally vulnerable which would be a dumb thing to do. Guy A also has no reason to be pissed off so why would you think he is? Even then, someone who is beating up another just for kicks can usually leave them more than a few inches from death. He'd need to be full of rage to go that far.
Zeller--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 Zeller--
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

I'd had ignored him. People say silly things when they're drunk. If itwas particularly threatening despite the influence of alcohol, I'd refer it to the police just to ensure my safety.

Rickettsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rickettsia
Member since 2009 • 213 Posts

Problematic people, thats why the goverment invent the authorities. To let others deal with the dirty work.

DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

A guy puts somebody in the hospital for saying he would kill him while being under the influence of alcohol and now is in jail. Sounds like he is in the right place to me. What exactly was beating the crap out of a drunk man going to accomplish? He sounds like a person who lets impulses control him and thinks beating up and overpowering another person makes him a man. I hope he does enough time to realise that he needs to make some life and attitude adjustments.

umalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 umalex
Member since 2003 • 95 Posts

The puncher might be able to get off depending on how he acted after the punch. Due to the drunk making that statement and being drunk, it could be construed as the drunk actually having intent to harm. In this case, he might be able to get off with self-defence as long as he didn't go bragging about how he took the other guy down. Sure the 1st ammendment protects most speech, but it doesn't protect someone saying something that shows intent of harm. Being intoxicated doesn't help the drunk at all, since that can easilly be construed as unpredictable behavior, hence the feeling of life endangerment.

Basically, it depends on how the drunk person acted and how the non-drunk person reacted after. If he went with this, he could probably get away. The law rarely sides with the inebriated.

tonyjay87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tonyjay87
Member since 2011 • 46 Posts

What were the drunk guy's exact words? Did the two guys involved know each other before the incident?

I don't know all the facts, but in most cases A should have just walked away unless he was actually being attacked.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I would've walked (or ran) away...