DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8762 Posts

Were you awed by the beauty of something? Did you hear a very emotional song for you? Have a deep talk with a friend? Read something that affected you deeply? Tell us about it! I mean, only if you want to.

I guess I've been sort of humbled by all this AI stuff. I mean, I theoretically will live a while longer. What is on the horizon with this robot shtiff?

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I was lost in a fog yesterday, I didn't feel alive or dead, not a single thought in my head, and I just sort of existed,

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: yeah the AI stuff has my mind pretty active, but not in a negative way. I mean I know it will be bad before it's good, but I don't think it will be catastrophic. I'm actually pretty hopeful about it.

I just hope humanity sees it as a tool to help us make life better, and not as a legitimate substitute for anything.

@TheHighWind said:

I was lost in a fog yesterday, I didn't feel alive or dead, not a single thought in my head, and I just sort of existed,

Haha me too. I was in this weird state between being well-rested but also being completely calm and mellow and with zero fucks to give.

I love those moments.

People are under the assumption that you always need to be doing something, thinking about something, and that just is not true. There's something to be said about just existing in the moment and...breathing.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

I had to put down my dog yesterday. She'd been my buddy for 10 years.

Long story short, we didn't know what was going on at the time (brain tumor), but we spent a very long, very rough night with her, and I'm reflectively treasuring every second of it. Our reaction to it was also, I think, a formative moment for our son.

Time matters, even if it sucks in the moment. Be kind, and be generous with your time.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49567 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

I had to put down my dog yesterday. She'd been my buddy for 10 years.

Long story short, we didn't know what was going on at the time (brain tumor), but we spent a very long, very rough night with her, and I'm reflectively treasuring every second of it. Our reaction to it was also, I think, a formative moment for our son.

Time matters, even if it sucks in the moment. Be kind, and be generous with your time.

:(

I'm so sorry Matt, that's always one of the most difficult transitions losing a family member like a dog. Best of wishes to you and your family.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl

@Stevo_the_gamer: Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

@mattbbpl: oh mate i so feel for you. we had to have our dog put down last year because of a brain tumour too. like steve says, they're not a pet they're a member of the family. we had to console ourselves in that he wasn't suffering anymore. we did the right thing and we're so grateful for all the wonderful memories we had with him. but fck did it hurt, still does. condolences mate

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl

@Macutchi: Yeah, I feel for you. I didn't think I'd be affected as much as I was. It really is like losing a part of the family, and I'm sorry to hear you had to go through it it, too.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I'm not telling. 🙂

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Every year at this time is high school graduation. I teach special education 9-12 and I try to prepare all of my seniors for whatever comes next (Post-Secondary program/entry level work/additional adult support programs etc.) and when I am getting them ready for the graduation ceremony making sure they have enough tickets, that they have a good drop off/pick up plan and that their transcripts/credits align with the course of study they completed, I sometimes just go back to my classroom and just sit alone and reflect.

It is almost like a trance. What will they become? Did we do enough and what could be done better for next years seniors? Will the world be as understanding to those with special needs outside of our doors? These thoughts abound in a very profound/strange way for me. They are not my kids I realize, yet after having them for 4-6 years all day every day, seeing them get across that graduation stage is powerful and no matter how many times I see the birds get to the end of the branch I feel it. Then just like that they fly away and I feel elated yet pensive, hopeful yet fearful all at the same time.

I realize it sounds silly as I should be used to it after 12 years teaching, but that is the deep moment I have at this time every year like clockwork.