What was your first job interview like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I'm about to go for my first job interview(it will also be the first time I went to another country :D ) So I was wondering what was your experience with it.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

For me it was incredibly casual, I don't think he was looking very hard for anyone to hire. I was just told to cut my hair and that was it. :p

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
"Did you watch the football game?" "No, does this hurt my chances of getting the job?" "Not really" Started the next day :P
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I honestly don't even remember it lol
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
I was on my knees. The rest I can't remember.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

It was with the owner's daughter. It went well, I'm assuming, because I got the job without any experience or references. Pretty typical questions, and she commented on my "bubbly" personality.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#7 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

For me it was incredibly casual, I don't think he was looking very hard for anyone to hire. I was just told to cut my hair and that was it. :p

DigitalExile

Strange.

For my most recent interview i showed up with long, messy hair (it was knotted beyond belief) and I got the job almost on the spot.

But my first interview?

Pretty casual. I showed up at the doughnut store, talk a little bit about what I wanted out of the job, and I got a phone call a week later asking when I could start training.

But the job sucked. I left after 3 months. They suddenly had to scramble to fill my remaining shifts. (they had less than 24 hours to fill the first one.)

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

BuryMe

Strange.

For my most recent interview i showed up with long, messy hair (it was knotted beyond belief) and I got the job almost on the spot.

But my first interview?

Pretty casual. I showed up at the doughnut store, talk a little bit about what I wanted out of the job, and I got a phone call a week later asking when I could start training.

But the job sucked. I left after 3 months. They suddenly had to scramble to fill my remaining shifts. (they had less than 24 hours to fill the first one.)

Well I was going to be working around food, so ... I needed a haircut anyway.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
My first interview was with UPS as a package handler. I don't remember much about it. All I remember was not taking it seriously because... well, it was a high school part time job that I didn't really need. I went in wearing really loose jeans and a hoodie during my interview - and I got the job. The first interview I can actually remember was with a bank for a position as a teller during a job fair. At the beginning the interviewer asked me how I was and I answered "horrible" and I complained about how much school work I had. I didn't get that job. lol
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#10 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

DigitalExile

Strange.

But my first interview?

Well I was going to be working around food, so ... I needed a haircut anyway.

Ah, I guess that explains it.

After the doughnut store I worked at McDonald's for a year. During that time, I decided to start growing my hair. One day a manager told me it was time for a haircut. So I went to the drug store, bought some hair elastics and tied a ponytail.

My next shift, one of the managers saw me and laughed so hard that he almost passed out when he saw my ponytail. No one ever said anything about my hair again...

And now i work at a furniture store, so food isn't an issue any more :)

I'm just glad I don't work at the restaurant in my store.

JasonBourne2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JasonBourne2
Member since 2011 • 34 Posts
when i was 15 me and my twin brother got job interviews at toys r us. we both completely bombed it and the guy was just face palming through the whole thing. i even remember his name kirk cuz it scarred me so much
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
It was going ok until the dude asked me a math question and I was struggling to answer it on the fly :?
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
My first job interview (for any job)... uh... I don't really remember. Probably extremely casual. My first semi-serious interview (for an internship)... had to wear a suit, but otherwise was still rather informal. My first serious interview (for an engineering position)... was actually 5 interviews in a row, in a nice hotel they put me up in for the weekend. Not informal in the least!
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
I forget what my first interview was like. My last interview for my professional position lasted 10 minutes. I came in, he said I had the shortest resume on the stack (just graduated), asked me questions that he already knew from the resume, asked me how much I wanted, then said I had the job. I left confused and wishing I had asked for more money.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
It was going ok until the dude asked me a math question and I was struggling to answer it on the fly :? Fuhgeddabouditt
I had to interview candidates for TA positions (they'd be TA-ing calc classes), and while they weren't technical interviews, I was supposed to ask them one math question, depending on the class level they'd be TA-ing. Sometimes I'd make up impossibly hard calculus questions just to see how they'd handle it. :P
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Mine was awkward because he asked me to cut my hair, still never hired me.

Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

like proper graduate full time job? or HS work job. cause its the difference between a suit and what you wear on a normal day. also depends on company

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
my first "interview" was just for an after school job while i was in high school. i showed up in the clothes i wore to school that day and my employer just told me i got the job and showed me around. it was probably the easiest interview i could ever hope for.
kuruppath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 kuruppath
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

My first interview wasn't exactly for a job, I was fooled into thinking it was:P, but my second one was for a game tester for which I still haven't got the call.....BUMMERS

xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts

I won't lie, I was really nervous, but I aced it, he called me back a few hours after I left the interview and I got the job and started the day after ;)

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I'm about to go for my first job interview(it will also be the first time I went to another country :D ) So I was wondering what was your experience with it.Lonelynight
It was a bit tough. Had both owners doing the interview. Got hired right on the spot though :D

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts
It was pretty easy. I got a job delivering pizzas at 16. Lo and behold, I was the only employee that spoke english, so I think that definitely gave me an edge ;]
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

My first job interview was actually my best ever. The guy that was interviewing me was very casual and we got along from the start.
Needless to say, I got the job :D.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Let's just say I didn't get the job. I'm a terrible peoples person so it was very damn hard to answer the interviewers questions in a way that kept them interested...

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I had no nervosity, it was a very casual talk. I just answered his questions which weren't even related to working experience or anything. We shook hands and a week later I got called that I got the job. Still working there now.
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
all i remember was that it was a phone ringing nonstop in the room during the whole interview that drove me nuts good luck to u!
MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
I don't remember. However, I do remember them not hiring me. Those hooligans. :x
Philipsmorgey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Philipsmorgey
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

My first job interview was actually my best ever. The guy that was interviewing me was very casual and we got along from the start.
Needless to say, I got the job :D.

Sagem28
Mine was also good.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]It was going ok until the dude asked me a math question and I was struggling to answer it on the fly :? Dark__Link
I had to interview candidates for TA positions (they'd be TA-ing calc classes), and while they weren't technical interviews, I was supposed to ask them one math question, depending on the class level they'd be TA-ing. Sometimes I'd make up impossibly hard calculus questions just to see how they'd handle it. :P

:evil:

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
it was for a swim club. I didn't get hired at all. The interview was incredibly awkward as well. The guy even left me sitting there for 10 minutes because he had some "pressing matters" to attend to. Then he came back and said he needed a chef. I am not a chef, so I left in disappointment. But I learned from that mistake and got a job later on.
Rheiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rheiken
Member since 2009 • 677 Posts
It was for retail, but I kinda thought that I wasn't gonna get the job. The manager knew my brother for a long time, and I was kinda nervous. He kinda just told me a few things and then he asked me if I had any questions. I was wearing a suit and I made sure I looked nice, though. I got the job anyways, and I know now that he pretty much hires anybody.
pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

It was at my college at the media center. The job consisted of taking tv's and other media equipment to class rooms to set them up and bring them back. The interview went good but I never got a call back so I asked my friend about it and he said they hired two people and one of them was an employees sibling.

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

I was scared/nervous.It all went up hill from there but everytime I try to sell one more I get butterflys.

Never had more then one interveiw thank god but its all the same.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

So, why do you want to work at my Christmas tree farm?

I need some money

OK...you play football by any chance?

Yes sir, been playing for about a year now at my high school

Good, I need someone big and strong. Put on your gloves, and lets get started.

----------

That is pretty much how it went; got hired when I was 15 to work a couple months hauling trees to people's cars and unloading them out of trucks. To be honest, it was pretty damn fun.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts
My next shift, one of the managers saw me and laughed so hard that he almost passed out when he saw my ponytail. No one ever said anything about my hair again...BuryMe
...really? That's awesome and harsh at the same time.
varlerblargle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 varlerblargle
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

"Would you be willing to help a customer who needs help?"

"Uhh...I guess so"........****!

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

My first job was when I was 13 and I don't remember a thing about the interview.

My next interview was k-mart at 16. We were discussing schedule, and the guy asked if I could work from 4-10pm. I thought it out, and realized I'd be going straight from school to work then to bed. I told him I couldn't work from 4-10 cause it would leave no time for me do anything. The interview ended and I didn't get the job. He failed to mention that I'd only be working 4-10 on nights I'm scheduled. I thought he meant 4-10 monday-friday. I'm kinda happy I didn't get that job though.

awesomeface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 awesomeface
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts
Tell me about yourself . Any previous work experience? You're hired.
majrankin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 majrankin
Member since 2009 • 193 Posts

Just some crappy bagger job at bi-lo when I was 16. You're hired