What TV series did you enjoy but ended up getting cancelled?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1094 posts) -

Revolution is one that comes to mind. 2 seasons.

Also, Everwood was one I thoroughly enjoyed. We got 4 seasons out of that. Which I guess is decent enough.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (38629 posts) -

The Last Man On Earth, expected more from it

#3 Posted by with_teeth26 (9262 posts) -

Deadwood and Carnivale are the main ones that come to mind.

I also enjoyed the first season of The Bastard Executioner but it didn't get picked up for a second

#4 Posted by bgres077 (12596 posts) -

Luck. They were killing too many horses filming so it got cancelled.

#5 Posted by Byshop (19396 posts) -

Angel, Firefly, Serenity, Stargate Universe (that one still stings), Colony was recently cancelled right when it was starting to get really interesting, Robert Kirkman's other series (other than Walking Dead) Outcast was really cool, all the Marvel shows, Ash vs Evil Dead, Blood Drive was getting fun, Channel Zero was just cancelled, Dark Matter (but they kept Killjoys), The Mist (wasn't great but I woulda watched more), and probably more. I'm just including stuff that got the rug pulled out from under it, not shows that ran to a conclusion.

-Byshop

#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (26916 posts) -

Millennium. I loved that show. It ran between 1996 to 1999. It started out great but kind of petered out by the end and ended on a cliffhanger.

#7 Posted by npiet1 (1619 posts) -

Chozen. It's got the same animation as Archer. It only had once season due to poor advertising. The show's premise sounds awful (a white gay rapper tries to make it big after being released from prison). But I can guarantee its best show ever and the trailers are awful. The rhymes are amazing and the jokes are funny as hell.

#8 Posted by thehig1 (7093 posts) -

Better of Ted, still rewatch that now

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (30696 posts) -

Quantum Leap.

#10 Posted by SOedipus (11274 posts) -

Firefly, Star Trek The Next Generation, Angel, Stargate Atlantis.

#11 Posted by BlackBalls (1498 posts) -

Sense8. As part of the Lgbtt community, it was amazing to watch a show that was big budgeted and actually quite intriguing. At times a bit over the top, but it was fun.

#12 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4602 posts) -

@Byshop: I was disappointed about the Mist being cancelled, as well.

#13 Posted by DigitalNoodle (172 posts) -

Firefly

Stargate Universe

Ash vs Evil Dead

Sense8

Farscape

Lucifer (Luckily was saved by Netflix)

Jean Claude Van Johnson

All the Marvel Netflix shows.

#14 Posted by Mandzilla (3272 posts) -

Time Commanders. It was basically Rome: Total War the tv show.

#15 Edited by Sevenizz (2810 posts) -

The Americans. It was a great show that developed beautifully and was a great thriller. Luckily they gave it an appropriate send off for its finale.

Also The Andy Dick Show on MTV in the 2000s. It was a very funny sketch show that only got 2 seasons, but luckily the entire show can be found on YouTube.

#16 Posted by camW00dS (4 posts) -

Daredevil

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (30696 posts) -

@SOedipus said:

Firefly, Star Trek The Next Generation, Angel, Stargate Atlantis.

All Good Things was a pretty epic conclusion. In my eyes still the best season final ever.

Loading Video...

#18 Posted by SaltSlasher (768 posts) -

I don't think they were actually cancelled, but "Penny Dreadful". I loved that show and think they could have made another 3 seasons just as good. It's like the 1 show I was actively watching when it ended.

Obviously Star Trek The Original Series deserved a full 7 seasons like everyone else eventually got.

Other shows I watched and wished there was more, Faulty Towers, The IT Crowd, and of course, Dharma and Greg.

#19 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15592 posts) -

Some people mentioned Ash vs. Evil Dead--that one REALLY stings, Didn't think the whole "Ash and sidekicks" thing would work, but it did.

#20 Posted by Byshop (19396 posts) -

@saltslasher said:

I don't think they were actually cancelled, but "Penny Dreadful". I loved that show and think they could have made another 3 seasons just as good. It's like the 1 show I was actively watching when it ended.

Obviously Star Trek The Original Series deserved a full 7 seasons like everyone else eventually got.

Other shows I watched and wished there was more, Faulty Towers, The IT Crowd, and of course, Dharma and Greg.

Oh yeah, Penny Dreadful. It ran to a decent conclusion with the end of Vanessa's story (mad props to Eva Green in that series) but I would have loved to have seen more of Jekyll. Obviously they had more planned with him had the series gone on.

Also, I wasn't too big on Billie Piper until I had seen this show. Rose Tyler wasn't my favorite character on Doctor Who but she was pretty awesome in this show.

-Byshop

#21 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15692 posts) -

My So Called Life

Dead at 21

Sonic the Hedgehog (ABC SatAM)

Moral Orel (Season 2 was...I mean just...wow)

Half-Li...oh wait

#22 Posted by Byshop (19396 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

My So Called Life

Dead at 21

Sonic the Hedgehog (ABC SatAM)

Moral Orel (Season 2 was...I mean just...wow)

Half-Li...oh wait

Wow, I hadn't thought about that show in a long time.

-Byshop

#23 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25288 posts) -

Invader Zim is the only one that immediately popped to mind.

#24 Posted by warmblur (1499 posts) -

Tru Calling

Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles

Fast Lane

Terriers

666 Park Avenue

Persons Unknown

Awake

#25 Posted by HEATHEN75 (578 posts) -

Automan

Manimal

Misfits of Science - first three shows all had 1 season in the mid 80's

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

Deadwood

The Tick (animated)

The Tick (2001)

The Black Donnellys

and of course the Marvel Netflix shows.

#26 Posted by XVision84 (15036 posts) -

Daredevil. I didn't care when it got cancelled, then I watched it and now I'm slightly salty a show that good is just gone.

#27 Edited by uninspiredcup (30696 posts) -

Not really canceled, but I wish Gotham would go on. It left a very bad impression season 1 and has some problems (Barba Kean is a human jar jar binks), Season 2, started getting it. Season 3-4 are actually amazing. Probably the best depiction of Gordon, Penguin, Ridldler, Alfred, Bullock, Poison ivy, Selina Kyle, Ra's Al Ghul and Bruce Wayne of the live action stuff. While Mr Freeze, Firefly and Scarcrow, well, they suck. The (not really Joker for legal reasons) is great as well. Never seen a show gravitate between greatness and trash.

#28 Posted by judaspete (2763 posts) -

There was this show in the 90's called Nowhere Man that I loved as a kid. Not sure how well it would hold up now that I'm an adult, but I thought the mystery surrounding the main character was really interesting at the time. Ended on a big reveal after one season.

Firefly will always hurt.

#29 Posted by Vaidream45 (1613 posts) -

Sarah Connor Chronicles

#30 Posted by marley7game (24 posts) -

these Saturday MOrning Cartoons

wish kid

pound puppys

care bears

#32 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (25193 posts) -

I love the original Tremor movies (1 to 4). I recall there being a Tremors series. I liked it too although I wasn't able to catch many episodes.

I haven't really been into TV series since Survivorman and The Universe. I don't think those two were cancelled.

#33 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (24271 posts) -

King of the Hill

Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic SATAM

Sonic Underground

Super Mario Bros. Super Show

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World (They only had 13 episodes)

That's all I can think of, atm.

#34 Edited by RREED1 (2 posts) -

I still miss G4TV.com from back in the days. It was once a great gaming channel and source of all the gaming news + great shows such as Portal.

#35 Posted by Jamestravis (5 posts) -

Stargate Universe :'(

#36 Edited by Jag85 (12728 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Quantum Leap.

That's the first show which came to mind... Why do you keep ninja'ing me?

But yeah, that's the first time I remember being disappointed with how a show ended. There was no resolution at all.

#37 Posted by goodzorr (450 posts) -

Firefly is the big one for me. I also quite enjoyed Terra Nova which only lasted one season.

On a less sci-fi note, I liked Happy Endings too.

#38 Posted by shellcase86 (4252 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

The Last Man On Earth, expected more from it

Same. My wife and I loved this show and was waiting for it to get to a more satisfying point in the story before it ended.

Also, in my view, all shows are cancelled eventually, in one way or another.

#39 Edited by KungfuKitten (26125 posts) -

Firefly. But they made a pretty cool movie in celebration of the series, and to end it.

There was another one but I can't recall what it was.

#40 Posted by Boddicker (4448 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Millennium. I loved that show. It ran between 1996 to 1999. It started out great but kind of petered out by the end and ended on a cliffhanger.

I totally forgot about that show. Lance Henriksen is a great actor and I liked the premise.

Farscape -- Even though I hated Crichton, I loved the few non-humanoid puppet species.

Babylon 5

Ash vs Evil Dead

#41 Posted by TheFlush (5925 posts) -

Twin Peaks.

After Laura Palmer's killer got revealed early in season 2, the series took a nose dive (especially since David Lynch didn't really participate anymore). Then it picked itself up again and the ending of season 2 was a really exciting cliffhanger. But it was already too late, viewer ratings dropped and the show was cancelled. Laura Palmer said "I'll see you in 25 years" to agent Dale Cooper in the red room just before the show ended.

And guess what, 25 frickin' real years later the show continued for a third season. Fully directed by David Lynch himself. It was the weirdest, most surreal thing I have ever seen on screen. Absolutely loved it.

#42 Posted by foxhound_fox (97651 posts) -

Firefly. Still kind of bitter about that one, not because I watched it back in the day (even though I did, it just didn't grab me at the time because I was big into Star Trek: TNG/VOY) but because they've had what, 15 years to do something with it? If FOX is not wanting to use the property, then let Joss Whedon go run with it. It's one of the few unique sci-fi shows we've had in the last 20-something years that has incredibly compelling characters.

#43 Posted by DaVillain- (34344 posts) -
  • Firefly
  • Deadman Wonderland
  • Pirates of Dark Water
  • Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles
  • The Boondocks
#44 Posted by SUD123456 (5248 posts) -

Baa Baa Black Sheep

Taxi

Seinfeld

Babylon 5

Deep Space 9

#45 Posted by JoPython52 (95 posts) -

UFO

Space:1999

Space Precinct

#46 Posted by Serraph105 (33321 posts) -

I always always answer this question with Titus, and to this day I still think it's my number one cancelled tv show that I would bring back.

That said, I really want to give a different answer so I'm going to say Jeeves and Wooster. Now I only watched this show on dvd many years after the fact, but it's sooo good and I do wish there had been more seasons.

#48 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15592 posts) -
@Serraph105 said:

I always always answer this question with Titus, and to this day I still think it's my number one cancelled tv show that I would bring back.

I remember Titus--Stack Keach as his father Ken was always great to watch.