What To Do About This Girl? Moving away

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bertainpp7
Member since 2010 • 171 Posts

To start off I've never had a girlfriend before. I liked this girl for several months and developed a kind of obsession with her. Not really an obsession, but she was all I thought about, and I felt like she was the one. I asked her out and she said "maybe some other time" and that was that. I still saw her two or three times a day which was torture. Anyways it's been 5 months and still I can't get over her. It's not like I'm even interested in her 'that' way, I just feel I need to be with her. Maybe it stems from the fact that she was alone or never had a boyfriend I felt I had a chance. I saw her at prom but I didn't dance with her (we were close to eachother). We stopped talking a bit before prom, but we did see eachother. I didn't ask her to dance because a bit before I asked some other girl to dance and she said no.. so in my mind I've developed some sort of thing for rejection, and I don't think I could handle her saying no. She wasn't with anyone at prom, she didn't dance with any other guy. I know I should have asked her, but it was realy hard for me.. it sparked the same feeling I got inside of me before I asked her out.

Anyways so I got into the same college she got into, and I was really excited to getting in (because it's kind of hard to get into), but I ultimately decided to go to another one (5 hours away). It was a very hard decision, one that I constantly have second thoughts about, and now I'm considered asking if I can switch. I feel if I work on my appearance a bit more I could have a shot with her.. she really is different than any other girl for me and I don't think I'll ever be able to forget her. I keep these feelings to myself though (and OT) because it's silly to tell her this because we don't know eachother that well. Anyways, I feel really depressed just going that far away from her.. I really just need to see her again.. I just want to interact with her, or at least to say goodbye and hug her because she meant so much for me. So right now I'm at a loss of words.. Any idea on what I should do? Should I email her telling her that I liked her and just wanted to say goodbye? Should I try to shift to the same university as her?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

You're going to have to learn to adjust to life without her.

EDIT: I wouldn't go to the same university as her because it would be stalkerish.

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
Don't worry, you'll meet a new girl in a month and forget about her.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Why are you depressed over a girl you haven't even had sex with or a relationship with.I bet she not even all that,just go and smash some jumpoffs,you'll get over it.
bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bertainpp7

EDIT: I wouldn't go to the same university as her because it would be stalkerish.

turtlethetaffer
I would still have second thoughts going there even if she wasn't there. There's a variety of other reasons to go there, but yes it is stalkerish.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

bertainpp7

I would still have second thoughts going there even if she wasn't there. There's a variety of other reasons to go there, but yes it is stalkerish.

Well what I'm saying is that you shouldn't make her your main reason for going to a college.

bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bertainpp7
Why are you depressed over a girl you haven't even had sex with or a relationship with.I bet she not even all that,just go and smash some jumpoffs,you'll get over it.Bucked20
Yeah I don't know why. There are a lots of other girls that I'm interested in, but she just stands out. She's not the most attractive out of all of them either, there is just something about her.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Find a new girl and touch her shoulder instead
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
I think it would be good to move away and start over. Never make life decision over infatuations etc.
LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts
It seems to me you came on here looking for advice, and you already have your mind made out. You will be able to adjust to life without her. There are plenty of women out there.
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
[QUOTE="Bucked20"]Why are you depressed over a girl you haven't even had sex with or a relationship with.I bet she not even all that,just go and smash some jumpoffs,you'll get over it.bertainpp7
Yeah I don't know why. There are a lots of other girls that I'm interested in, but she just stands out. She's not the most attractive out of all of them either, there is just something about her.

My guess is that the "special thing" about her is that you feel like you have the best chance with her, not that you like her the most.
bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bertainpp7
[QUOTE="bertainpp7"][QUOTE="Bucked20"]Why are you depressed over a girl you haven't even had sex with or a relationship with.I bet she not even all that,just go and smash some jumpoffs,you'll get over it.stanleycup98

My guess is that the "special thing" about her is that you feel like you have the best chance with her, not that you like her the most.

Perhaps you are right, but to rephrase it a bit: it's the feeling that I'm the only one that recognizes how wonderful she is, and I need to act on that somehow. But isn't that in a sense genuine?
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
[QUOTE="Bucked20"]Why are you depressed over a girl you haven't even had sex with or a relationship with.I bet she not even all that,just go and smash some jumpoffs,you'll get over it.bertainpp7

Plus you're giving her to much power,imagine if she knew all of this.She would probably think you were a weak pushover and boss you around.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
She's already turned you down once before and obviously has no romantic interest in you whatsoever. Try and stop thinking about her because she's almost definitely not thinking about you. To achieve that, it's probably easiest to just break off all communication, at least for a while; it doesn't sound like you're very good friends anyway so no big loss.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Going to a college for a girl your not in a relationship with sounds a lot weirder when I'm not the one talking about it.
Egonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 Egonga
Member since 2002 • 18205 Posts

This is one of those rare occassions that I actually say something serious.

I can see this going one of three ways:

1) You send her an e-mail telling her your feelings. This will achieve nothing in the short-term, other than making her feel kind of creepy that you're hoarding all these feelings for her but could only tell her through e-mail. That just reeks of crazy stalker. In the long term, you will look back on the decision in years to come and hold your head in your hands in shame.

2) The hardest option, but probably the correct one: talk to her. You don't have to rush into your feelings for her or asking her out; start small. Do you have anything in common? If all else fails, talk to her about college. At the end of this conversation, ask her if she wants to grab a coffee or something.

Just keep this in mind: if you haven't got the confidence to talk to her, how the hell are you going to manage being in a relationship with her? You can't e-mail your marriage vows, you know :P This is one of those occassions where something is too important to half-ass. Gather your courage and just talk to her.

3) You do nothing, say nothing, and never see her again. There will be other women, but only if you can speak to them.

bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bertainpp7
She's already turned you down once before and obviously has no romantic interest in you whatsoever. Try and stop thinking about her because she's almost definitely not thinking about you. To achieve that, it's probably easiest to just break off all communication, at least for a while; it doesn't sound like you're very good friends anyway so no big loss.kamikaze_pigmy
This really puts things into persective. At the same time though, she was alone at prom and had no one to dance with her. Just because she turned me down doesn't mean she has zero interest in me at all. I wasn't at my full potential when I asked her out. LIke I said, if I mature a bit it could work. I think leaving high school just gets me all emotional about this stuff and I blew it out of proportion.
bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bertainpp7

1) You send her an e-mail telling her your feelings. This will achieve nothing in the short-term, other than making her feel kind of creepy that you're hoarding all these feelings for her but could only tell her through e-mail. That just reeks of crazy stalker. In the long term, you will look back on the decision in years to come and hold your head in your hands in shame.

2) The hardest option, but probably the correct one: talk to her. You don't have to rush into your feelings for her or asking her out; start small. Do you have anything in common? If all else fails, talk to her about college. At the end of this conversation, ask her if she wants to grab a coffee or something.

Just keep this in mind: if you haven't got the confidence to talk to her, how the hell are you going to manage being in a relationship with her? You can't e-mail your marriage vows, you know :P This is one of those occassions where something is too important to half-ass. Gather your courage and just talk to her.

3) You do nothing, say nothing, and never see her again. There will be other women, but only if you can speak to them.

Egonga
Yes I've talked to her plenty before I asked her out. Why would I ask her out for coffee if we are going our seperate ways really soon. Also in the email, I wasn't planning on hoarding any feelings. It was going to be something really gentle like. "I'm not sure how to say this but I just wanted to let you know I like you. i saw you at prom you looked amazing. i never got to say good bye.. so goodbye [name].
Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

To start off I've never had a girlfriend before. I liked this girl for several months and developed a kind of obsession with her. Not really an obsession, but she was all I thought about, and I felt like she was the one. I asked her out and she said "maybe some other time" and that was that. I still saw her two or three times a day which was torture. Anyways it's been 5 months and still I can't get over her. It's not like I'm even interested in her 'that' way, I just feel I need to be with her. Maybe it stems from the fact that she was alone or never had a boyfriend I felt I had a chance. I saw her at prom but I didn't dance with her (we were close to eachother). We stopped talking a bit before prom, but we did see eachother. I didn't ask her to dance because a bit before I asked some other girl to dance and she said no.. so in my mind I've developed some sort of thing for rejection, and I don't think I could handle her saying no. She wasn't with anyone at prom, she didn't dance with any other guy. I know I should have asked her, but it was realy hard for me.. it sparked the same feeling I got inside of me before I asked her out.

Anyways so I got into the same college she got into, and I was really excited to getting in (because it's kind of hard to get into), but I ultimately decided to go to another one (5 hours away). It was a very hard decision, one that I constantly have second thoughts about, and now I'm considered asking if I can switch. I feel if I work on my appearance a bit more I could have a shot with her.. she really is different than any other girl for me and I don't think I'll ever be able to forget her. I keep these feelings to myself though (and OT) because it's silly to tell her this because we don't know eachother that well. Anyways, I feel really depressed just going that far away from her.. I really just need to see her again.. I just want to interact with her, or at least to say goodbye and hug her because she meant so much for me. So right now I'm at a loss of words.. Any idea on what I should do? Should I email her telling her that I liked her and just wanted to say goodbye? Should I try to shift to the same university as her?

bertainpp7

You are way too obsessed with this girl. Your chances with her are basically nill because she a) already turned you down b) and has seen you act shy around her. This means she isn't attracted to you, and girls don't usually change their mind once they put a guy in the friend only category. Here's a tip. A girl will not begin to be attracted to you because you try harder. Your main shot at a girl is when you first meet and begin to talk with her. Not way afterward. That is a fallacy that only works about 1 in 10,000 times if not worse. To the other point. You need to find someone that is newer that you can get to know. You can't spend your whole life worrying about this only girl or you'll pass up other good opportunities. This is especially the case since you are far away. But just changing your college to be closer to a girl that you're not even dating never works out well. This also applies to moving to a different city with a girlfriend that isn't that serious. Those usually end up bad too. Take it from a guy who has had friends do these things and I've also been into a single girl before when I was way younger and it never works in your favor. You're going to have to learn how to approach women and begin talking to them without all of the anxiety and also what attracts women. Most of the things you're saying are turn offs. That's not being mean, just an observation. Like acting shy at the prom around her and having the attitude that you just have to be with her. That will come across in your behavior and speech with her and she'll be able to tell. Hope some of this helps you for the future.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
[QUOTE="Egonga"]

bertainpp7
Yes I've talked to her plenty before I asked her out. Why would I ask her out for coffee if we are going our seperate ways really soon. Also in the email, I wasn't planning on hoarding any feelings. It was going to be something really gentle like. "I'm not sure how to say this but I just wanted to let you know I like you. i saw you at prom you looked amazing. i never got to say good bye.. so goodbye [name].

That is just sad....... Ask her out for coffee or something similar (none threatening and not a date) you can reminisce about high school and talk about your plans for college. This will allow to keep in touch and remain friends, which is all she sees you as and it is not likely to change.
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Omg this is basic highschool stuff kid!

All you have to do is pass her a note that says "Do you like me?" with check boxes yes and no.

berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
There are plenty of chicks at college just talk to some different ones, and forget about her.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I wouldnt make your college decision based on a girl. Especially since she basically told you no.

bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bertainpp7

[QUOTE="bertainpp7"]

Sunfyre7896

You are way too obsessed with this girl. Your chances with her are basically nill because she a) already turned you down b) and has seen you act shy around her. This means she isn't attracted to you, and girls don't usually change their mind once they put a guy in the friend only category. Here's a tip. A girl will not begin to be attracted to you because you try harder. Your main shot at a girl is when you first meet and begin to talk with her. Not way afterward. That is a fallacy that only works about 1 in 10,000 times if not worse. To the other point. You need to find someone that is newer that you can get to know. You can't spend your whole life worrying about this only girl or you'll pass up other good opportunities. This is especially the case since you are far away. But just changing your college to be closer to a girl that you're not even dating never works out well. This also applies to moving to a different city with a girlfriend that isn't that serious. Those usually end up bad too. Take it from a guy who has had friends do these things and I've also been into a single girl before when I was way younger and it never works in your favor. You're going to have to learn how to approach women and begin talking to them without all of the anxiety and also what attracts women. Most of the things you're saying are turn offs. That's not being mean, just an observation. Like acting shy at the prom around her and having the attitude that you just have to be with her. That will come across in your behavior and speech with her and she'll be able to tell. Hope some of this helps you for the future.

I wasn't really acting shy or having an attitute that I have to be with her, that's just how I feel. I mean, I did ask another girl to dance, I asked her out, and talked to her normally before that too. I was dancing myself too but with a group of people, that's not really shy behaviour.

I see your point though. I think I'm just getting a bit too emotional leaving everyone to go to college. Thanks for the advice too, I definately see how asking a girl out when you just begin to talk to her would work.. and it saves a bunch of emotional turmoil so you don't get attached to them like I did.

Egonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 Egonga
Member since 2002 • 18205 Posts

[QUOTE="Egonga"]

bertainpp7

"And I shall forever whisper your name into the wind."

I've been in a similar place to you in the past. There was a girl in work I liked - attractive, a little shy herself, and when I learned she was doing a writing course (a major aspiration of mine is to be a professional writer) I felt head over heels about her. My social skills suck, however, so I never really spoke to her. The few times that I did, I tried to say something funny / cute and ended up coming across like a bit of a weirdo.

I still cringe thinking of some of the e-mails I sent her. I remember passing her in the corridor once, and she said hi to me. I mumbled hi back, but I was worried that she didn't hear me, so I sent her an e-mail explaining that I mumbled. Eurgh -_-

If you're not going to ask her out, just leave it. Trust me on this. An e-mail isn't going to change her mind about you, it's just something you'll look back on in the years to come and wonder 'why did I do that?'

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

All you have to do is pass her a note that says "Do you like me?" with check boxes yes and no.

This is correct, but exclude the no check box.
bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bertainpp7

TheHighWind
LOL. It sucks I missed out on a large majority of my high school experience, I'll have to make up for that in college.
Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

[QUOTE="Sunfyre7896"]

[QUOTE="bertainpp7"]

bertainpp7

I wasn't really acting shy or having an attitute that I have to be with her, that's just how I feel. I mean, I did ask another girl to dance, I asked her out, and talked to her normally before that too. I was dancing myself too but with a group of people, that's not really shy behaviour.

I see your point though. I think I'm just getting a bit too emotional leaving everyone to go to college. Thanks for the advice too, I definately see how asking a girl out when you just begin to talk to her would work.. and it saves a bunch of emotional turmoil so you don't get attached to them like I did.

Just always remember that you are the one that you value highly. More highly than them. This will keep you from putting them on a pedestal like many guys do. If you can literally be ok with the girl or you walking away at any point in a relationship, then you're on the right track. This will get you to see that you can always get another girl and not pine or obsess over one in particular for months and years after, holding you back. Just remember the term "next." When a situation with a girl goes wrong, tell yourself "next." This means "next" girl. Go find another one. This doesn't mean your a d-bag or that you can't be upset about a breakup, but that you won't spend too much wasted time on just one in particular. There is no such thing as a soul mate or perfect match. Just find one that you are really good together. That's the key.

bertainpp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bertainpp7

"And I shall forever whisper your name into the wind."

I've been in a similar place to you in the past. There was a girl in work I liked - attractive, a little shy herself, and when I learned she was doing a writing course (a major aspiration of mine is to be a professional writer) I felt head over heels about her. My social skills suck, however, so I never really spoke to her. The few times that I did, I tried to say something funny / cute and ended up coming across like a bit of a weirdo.

I still cringe thinking of some of the e-mails I sent her. I remember passing her in the corridor once, and she said hi to me. I mumbled hi back, but I was worried that she didn't hear me, so I sent her an e-mail explaining that I mumbled. Eurgh -_-

If you're not going to ask her out, just leave it. Trust me on this. An e-mail isn't going to change her mind about you, it's just something you'll look back on in the years to come and wonder 'why did I do that?'

Egonga

LOL that's hilarious. I was thinking the email wont be intended to change her mind, just to set things straight and say goodbye.

HexedPelican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HexedPelican
Member since 2011 • 590 Posts
You have to let her go.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
dude you're going to college. get over it. there will be better girls at college. shes not "the one", there are millions of women in the world, why waste your time on one that doesnt like you? also emailing her and telling her you liked her is flat out dumb. she'll just think you're creepy
MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Just leave her alone. Why? She already said no. Don't keep asking her. Leave her alone. She won't change her feelings if you stay around her and bug her all the time. Seriously.
Bujikan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bujikan92
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts

bertainpp7

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Seriously dude! Please don't even think of stalking the girl. That's a very bad idea and the girl may not want to be your friend anymore if you do that. Just try to stay her friend because it's useless trying to get her to be your girlfriend.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

It's almost never a good idea to make life decisions based a potential romantic interest unless you're already in a relationship with them. Hell, sometimes it's even a bad idea to adjust your plans to stay close to someone even if you are in a relationship! It really needs to be something pretty damn stable and solid, otherwise it will be far more trouble than it's worth.

Also- If you're 17 or 18 years old, your feelings will probably change down the road. Not guaranteed, but 19 times out of 20 people's needs and preferences change a great deal from 18 to 23-24 or so.