What Should Be Done to Improve America?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for airshocker
#101 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

@airshocker said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Just wondering but why does it matter what the founders intended? Even if what you're saying is true. It's been over 240 years, I don't think anyone should take their word as infallible anymore. The world is too different.

I don't believe that the people who created one of the most important and intelligent documents known to man should have their ideals tossed to the wind as casually as some people like to do.

Also, you're not even responding to what I've suggested. You're merely taking issue with the parties I'm using as sources. That's kind of stupid.

Well I agree with what you said I was just curious as to why you're invoking the founding fathers rather than letting the idea stand on its own. Also, those man didn't even follow their own ideals, so it's fair to say others following them shouldn't be the be all end all.


True enough. I'm not saying we follow them because it's what they said, merely because what they intended was actually a pretty good idea.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#102 Posted by foxhound_fox (96793 posts) -

@TheWalkingGhost said:

1. No. Things like Isis and Russia indicate the US needs a strong military, unless you think the UN in just going to magically not suck. The US still outputs a large amount of science compared to other nations and our health care system provides the best care in the world, it is just to expensive. Cutting defense spending won't solve this as money isn't the problem elsewhere, it's other things, like how it is spent and frivolous lawsuits. Not a black and white issue.

2. Yeah right, tax them too much and capital flees. You have to be careful as they are already leaving.

3. Water and Apples are not expensive, Water is 99 cents a gallon here, Soda is $1.18 per 1.25 liters. Apples at best are .99 cents a pound, costs is not the reason sometimes it's just plain bad habits. Costs could be better, but with raising wages and environmental and political problems (China) that won't happen.

4. Separation of church and state, and you contradicted yourself with the catholic school thing. Religion is NOT causing the problems in schools, it's just an easy scapegoat. Atheist kids can and some cases are just as dumb as any religious kid... sometimes more so. A broader perspective is needed. not easy answers and scapegoats.

5. Never mind that what you suggested is grossly unconstitutional. That whole separation of church and state thing, the state staying out of the affairs of the church and vice versa. Charging them taxes is unconstitutional.

  1. A 50% spending cut would not mean the dissolution of the military, it would merely focus it on defence rather than offense in other countries.
  2. Others will take their place.
  3. It's not as cheap as pop and chips.
  4. I'm calling for the separation of church and state. Private Catholic schools are privately funded.
  5. They own property and make income (some on gross scales). Most operate like businesses. They should be taxed. It would expedite their disappearance.
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
#103 Edited by TheWalkingGhost (6092 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:
@foxhound_fox said:

The first and foremost problem that should be eliminated is cut military spending dramatically (by greater than 50% to start) and invest that money into science research (the US is falling behind the rest of the civilized world in this area), education (not just providing the bare minimum) and medical care (by trying at the very least to provide a more efficient system that doesn't cost more than countries with free healthcare, so that the low income citizenry can afford it).

The second problem would to be start taxing the uber-rich and auditing their off-shore holdings. I'm sure the revenue from a flat tax rate alone (on everyone, based on percentage of income), combined with the taxes from those who hold the top percentage of the country's wealth, could pay for almost anything the country needs.

The third, and while I listed it last, I think is the most important problem to solve, is start subsidizing healthy food (i.e. fresh vegetables) so that low income families aren't forced to buy pop and chips instead of milk and apples for their children, and thus end the substantial cost of healthcare that obesity and diabetes is burdening the nation with. Also, end corn subsidization. FFS

EDIT: Oh yes, and the fourth issue that needs to be ended, is to boot religion out of the state and public schools. It is infiltrating at an alarming rate and causing the future generations of Americans to grow up fantastically more stupid than those past. Even children in private Catholic schools get a proper science education these days.

Another good revenue booster would be to end the tax-free status of churches and let them survive on their own.

1. No. Things like Isis and Russia indicate the US needs a strong military, unless you think the UN in just going to magically not suck. The US still outputs a large amount of science compared to other nations and our health care system provides the best care in the world, it is just to expensive. Cutting defense spending won't solve this as money isn't the problem elsewhere, it's other things, like how it is spent and frivolous lawsuits. Not a black and white issue.

2. Yeah right, tax them too much and capital flees. You have to be careful as they are already leaving.

3. Water and Apples are not expensive, Water is 99 cents a gallon here, Soda is $1.18 per 1.25 liters. Apples at best are .99 cents a pound, costs is not the reason sometimes it's just plain bad habits. Costs could be better, but with raising wages and environmental and political problems (China) that won't happen.

4. Separation of church and state, and you contradicted yourself with the catholic school thing. Religion is NOT causing the problems in schools, it's just an easy scapegoat. Atheist kids can and some cases are just as dumb as any religious kid... sometimes more so. A broader perspective is needed. not easy answers and scapegoats.

5. Never mind that what you suggested is grossly unconstitutional. That whole separation of church and state thing, the state staying out of the affairs of the church and vice versa. Charging them taxes is unconstitutional.

You clearly don't know what separation of church and state means.

Religion is definitely holding back education. Some schools still teach creationism as an alternative to evolution.

It means what I said it means.......Taxing them violates that. Religion is NOT holding education back. Some catholic schools prove that.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#104 Edited by Master_Live (18817 posts) -

Congress didn't let states legalize marihuana, Obama stopped enforcement of the law which is his MO.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
#105 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (6092 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Congress didn't let states legalize marihuana, Obama stopped enforcement of the law which is his MO.

The voters made it legal.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#106 Edited by Master_Live (18817 posts) -

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Master_Live said:

Congress didn't let states legalize marihuana, Obama stopped enforcement of the law which is his MO.

The voters made it legal.

Federal law supersedes state law, the only reason federal law enforcement agencies aren't having raids in Colorado and Washington is because they have been instructed not to.

If the next president decided to enforce current law then those state couldn't do shit.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
#107 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (6092 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Master_Live said:

Congress didn't let states legalize marihuana, Obama stopped enforcement of the law which is his MO.

The voters made it legal.

Federal law supersedes state law, the only reason federal law enforcement agencies aren't having raids in Colorado and Washington is because they have been instructed not to.

If the next president decided to enforce current law then those state couldn't do shit.

Unless (H.R. 499) is passed.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#108 Edited by Serraph105 (31881 posts) -

@Master_Live: Seems like the choice to not exercise the power of the federal government is a reflection of smaller government.

I'd argue that Obama should urge Congress to change the law, but honestly what good would it do?

Avatar image for Master_Live
#109 Posted by Master_Live (18817 posts) -
@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Master_Live said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Master_Live said:

Congress didn't let states legalize marihuana, Obama stopped enforcement of the law which is his MO.

The voters made it legal.

Federal law supersedes state law, the only reason federal law enforcement agencies aren't having raids in Colorado and Washington is because they have been instructed not to.

If the next president decided to enforce current law then those state couldn't do shit.

Unless (H.R. 499) is passed.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
#110 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@toast_burner said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:
@foxhound_fox said:

The first and foremost problem that should be eliminated is cut military spending dramatically (by greater than 50% to start) and invest that money into science research (the US is falling behind the rest of the civilized world in this area), education (not just providing the bare minimum) and medical care (by trying at the very least to provide a more efficient system that doesn't cost more than countries with free healthcare, so that the low income citizenry can afford it).

The second problem would to be start taxing the uber-rich and auditing their off-shore holdings. I'm sure the revenue from a flat tax rate alone (on everyone, based on percentage of income), combined with the taxes from those who hold the top percentage of the country's wealth, could pay for almost anything the country needs.

The third, and while I listed it last, I think is the most important problem to solve, is start subsidizing healthy food (i.e. fresh vegetables) so that low income families aren't forced to buy pop and chips instead of milk and apples for their children, and thus end the substantial cost of healthcare that obesity and diabetes is burdening the nation with. Also, end corn subsidization. FFS

EDIT: Oh yes, and the fourth issue that needs to be ended, is to boot religion out of the state and public schools. It is infiltrating at an alarming rate and causing the future generations of Americans to grow up fantastically more stupid than those past. Even children in private Catholic schools get a proper science education these days.

Another good revenue booster would be to end the tax-free status of churches and let them survive on their own.

1. No. Things like Isis and Russia indicate the US needs a strong military, unless you think the UN in just going to magically not suck. The US still outputs a large amount of science compared to other nations and our health care system provides the best care in the world, it is just to expensive. Cutting defense spending won't solve this as money isn't the problem elsewhere, it's other things, like how it is spent and frivolous lawsuits. Not a black and white issue.

2. Yeah right, tax them too much and capital flees. You have to be careful as they are already leaving.

3. Water and Apples are not expensive, Water is 99 cents a gallon here, Soda is $1.18 per 1.25 liters. Apples at best are .99 cents a pound, costs is not the reason sometimes it's just plain bad habits. Costs could be better, but with raising wages and environmental and political problems (China) that won't happen.

4. Separation of church and state, and you contradicted yourself with the catholic school thing. Religion is NOT causing the problems in schools, it's just an easy scapegoat. Atheist kids can and some cases are just as dumb as any religious kid... sometimes more so. A broader perspective is needed. not easy answers and scapegoats.

5. Never mind that what you suggested is grossly unconstitutional. That whole separation of church and state thing, the state staying out of the affairs of the church and vice versa. Charging them taxes is unconstitutional.

You clearly don't know what separation of church and state means.

Religion is definitely holding back education. Some schools still teach creationism as an alternative to evolution.

It means what I said it means.......Taxing them violates that. Religion is NOT holding education back. Some catholic schools prove that.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

lol, you kids.

Yes religion is holding science and education back.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
#111 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

The first and foremost problem that should be eliminated is cut military spending dramatically (by greater than 50% to start) and invest that money into science research (the US is falling behind the rest of the civilized world in this area), education (not just providing the bare minimum) and medical care (by trying at the very least to provide a more efficient system that doesn't cost more than countries with free healthcare, so that the low income citizenry can afford it).

I know you sorta live in your own neck beard-er world, but if you ever joined the military, you would see that the military is stretched incredibly thin, especially in the Pacific. People are having to work long hours and as an example, a team of 15 would have to do the work that would ordinarily be sorted out among 25 or so people.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#112 Edited by Master_Live (18817 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

@Master_Live: Seems like the choice to not exercise the power of the federal government is a reflection of smaller government.

I won't bother with that silly comment.

@Serraph105 said:

I'd argue that Obama should urge Congress to change the law, but honestly what good would it do?

First it would take for him to have a position, has he finished evolving in this topic?

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
#113 Edited by TheWalkingGhost (6092 posts) -
@Master_Live said:
@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Master_Live said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Master_Live said:

Congress didn't let states legalize marihuana, Obama stopped enforcement of the law which is his MO.

The voters made it legal.

Federal law supersedes state law, the only reason federal law enforcement agencies aren't having raids in Colorado and Washington is because they have been instructed not to.

If the next president decided to enforce current law then those state couldn't do shit.

Unless (H.R. 499) is passed.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

It will happen. The tides are tuning in favor of it. Maybe not in the next 5 years, but in our lifetimes.

Avatar image for purplelabel
#114 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

A lot has been said in this thread that I agree and disagree with. What I want to add is we must take more responsibility and stop playing victims as a society. You have to admit, america has grown soft.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#115 Posted by Serraph105 (31881 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@Serraph105 said:

@Master_Live: Seems like the choice to not exercise the power of the federal government is a reflection of smaller government.

I won't bother with that silly comment.

@Serraph105 said:

I'd argue that Obama should urge Congress to change the law, but honestly what good would it do?

First it would take for him to have a position, has he finished evolving in this topic?

Obama has said that the experiments must continue considering how our drug laws have disproportionately affected minorities over the years.

What would you have done if you were in Obama's position? Overrule the voters or allow them to do as they please?

Avatar image for thegerg
#116 Posted by thegerg (18283 posts) -

@Motokid6: I tried to make an edit to my post that I guess didn't take for some reason. I agree that there should be some governmental organization (whether it's NASA or something else) that should have a role in the whole thing. I just don't think that NASA should necessarily hold the same role it has historically, as the "tip of the spear" of exploration.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#117 Edited by Master_Live (18817 posts) -

I would declare my support marihuana legalization, ask for Congress to start immediate debate for the removal of marihuana as a Schedule 1 drug and yes, let the voters decide.

Public support for marihuana legalization is still too soft, specially among those who are more likely to vote.

Political support is still low too. So Obama won't come out to support it yet, he probably will at the end of his term when the political cost equation for him will probably be either neutral or positive.

Politics, politics, politics.

Avatar image for GrayF0X786
#119 Posted by GrayF0X786 (4185 posts) -

Remove Capitalism

Avatar image for branketra
#120 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@GrayF0X786 said:

Remove Capitalism

I would like to know what you suggest replaces it since something would in the event it were "removed."

Avatar image for seahorse123
#121 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

A system where there is no money. Money=Corruption. In communism there is money. In socialism there is money. In capitalism there is money. Non of them work because of money.

Avatar image for airshocker
#122 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

A system where there is no money. Money=Corruption. In communism there is money. In socialism there is money. In capitalism there is money. Non of them work because of money.

And there's no other system to replace it with. So we're stuck with capitalism as the lesser of three evils. The only thing that can be done is to remove money from as much as possible.

Avatar image for perfect_blue
#123 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30033 posts) -

@GrayF0X786 said:

Remove Capitalism

Joke post? Controlled capitalism is perfectly fine.

Avatar image for MlauTheDaft
#124 Edited by MlauTheDaft (5189 posts) -
  • Reduction in miltary expenditure.
  • Increase school budgets, ban creationism, work on making college free for everyone with adequate grades.
  • Increase minimum wage.
  • Raise corporate taxes along with taxes for the rich.
  • Universal and free healthcare.

Bottom line: Start working on making as many as possible middle class, because it's the backbone of any healthy economy. I believe one should have the freedom to amass wealth, but not unlimited and at the expense of everyone else.

Basically become more european, I guess ;)

Edit: Sorry about awful grammar and weird sentence structure. I'm a foreigner.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#125 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@airshocker: Make a system with no money- resource based economy

Avatar image for Angry_Mushroom
#126 Posted by Angry_Mushroom (708 posts) -

Build a huge reset button, press it. Every single issue I've found leads to another bigger issue. I'd say inertia is the biggest issue... the problems we're facing are so large, and daunting that no politician has the balls or knowledge on how to tackle it. I think a good start would be getting rid of all lobbying and politicking. Our elected officials are here to serve us and the state... not political interests. We've kinda lost sight over the decades, and the polarizing views of our politicians isn't helping.

Avatar image for grathan
#127 Posted by grathan (202 posts) -

I wish we would stop piling more and more people onto the existing system. These people will never build a new and better system, just lessen the lives of others around them. Specifically illegal minorities.

Avatar image for purplelabel
#128 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

@airshocker: Make a system with no money- resource based economy

Good luck with that.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#129 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@purplelabel: Thanks

Avatar image for airshocker
#130 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

@airshocker: Make a system with no money- resource based economy

Not possible, nor is it optimal.

I think you need to realize that what you are suggesting would kill hundreds of thousands of people. If not millions.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#131 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@airshocker: There will be an eventual awakening all over the world. It will happen some time just to hard for you to imagine it.

Avatar image for airshocker
#132 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

@airshocker: There will be an eventual awakening all over the world. It will happen some time just to hard for you to imagine it.

Yeah it's definitely hard for me to imagine killing millions of people just to create a world you want to live in. You are delusional.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#133 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@airshocker: When did I say killing millions of people? Who are these millions? I presume they are the ones who still want war and starvation well all of them can go and live in a restricted area and live their own separate way killing each other.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#134 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

economics: they shouldn't give benefits to illegal immigrants. hard working americans have to pick up the tab for illegals and their 10 kids that they pop out.

Science: alternative energy, this will produce more jobs and clean up the earth.

Avatar image for purplelabel
#135 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

@airshocker: When did I say killing millions of people? Who are these millions? I presume they are the ones who still want war and starvation well all of them can go and live in a restricted area and live their own separate way killing each other.

I usually see this kind of writing on walls, but it's usually written in the person's own shit.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#136 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: They give benefits to illegals to collapse the welfare system. While China belches out huge amounts of pollution while US coal power plants have steam and small amounts of carbon dioxide coming out because of modern technologies can filter pollution out but we have to shut them down risking the country of having an energy shortage. Not criticizing you just saying.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#137 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@purplelabel: Nice to see you making constructive comments again;)

Avatar image for vl4d_l3nin
#138 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (1093 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

economics: they shouldn't give benefits to illegal immigrants. hard working americans have to pick up the tab for illegals and their 10 kids that they pop out.

lol not gonna happen.

Illegals are more valuable than citizens in many respects.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#139 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin: Yes they are a good weapon to use against western countries.

Avatar image for vl4d_l3nin
#140 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (1093 posts) -

@seahorse123: I was thinking more along the lines of cheap labour, but that works too..I guess.

Don't really know what your getting at tbh

Avatar image for purplelabel
#141 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@seahorse123: I was thinking more along the lines of cheap labour, but that works too..I guess.

Don't really know what your getting at tbh

He's either a troll or literally insane. Expect crazy to ensue.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#142 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin: Yes cheap labour and they can collapse the welfare state and create racial tensions with groups like La Raza crossing the border

@purplelabel: I am insane because you don't understand what I say.

Avatar image for purplelabel
#143 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

@vl4d_l3nin: Yes cheap labour and they can collapse the welfare state and create racial tensions with groups like La Raza crossing the border

@purplelabel: I am insane because you don't understand what I say.

You're right. Go on and start a system of government that doesn't use any form of currency. Post more infowars shit, and talk about globalists. It's getting old.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#144 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@purplelabel: If you don't like what I have to say why do you feel a need to reply?

Avatar image for purplelabel
#145 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

@purplelabel: If you don't like what I have to say why do you feel a need to reply?

Because it's a forum and that's what they're designed for, conversation.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#146 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@purplelabel: Agree to disagree that is the only way I see with you and me.

Avatar image for purplelabel
#147 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

@purplelabel: Agree to disagree that is the only way I see with you and me.

No. If you sprout insane ideals and conspiracy theories I will call you out on it when people are trying to have a serious conversation.

Avatar image for seahorse123
#148 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -

@purplelabel: We will still have to agree to disagree and when I say that I don't mean you don't comment on what I say you are free to. We both have different opinions, strong ones and they won't be changed by the looks of it.

Avatar image for helwa1988
#149 Edited by helwa1988 (2157 posts) -

Build a Disney land in every major city

Public university options.

Make Florida and Texas become their own country.

Require a license before reproducing

Tax the hell out of junk food and fast food

Let people believe and practice whatever they want.

People should mind their own business. Nosy people will be fined.

Avatar image for purplelabel
#150 Edited by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@seahorse123 said:

@purplelabel: We will still have to agree to disagree and when I say that I don't mean you don't comment on what I say you are free to. We both have different opinions, strong ones and they won't be changed by the looks of it.

Agreed.