What media gave you a nostalgic feeling despite being late to it?

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 359 Posts

So, this question applies to anything - Games, movies, music, etc. Are there any types of media that you never experienced at its time of release, that when you finally got around to it, gave you a huge nostalgic feeling even though you didn't grow up with it?

My pick for games would be Beyond Good and Evil. Everyone told me it was good, but I never gave it a shot until I found the PC version being sold in the bargain section of Target around 2014. But actually playing it evoked a feeling I haven't gotten since the PS2/XBOX/GC era of gaming. It was a polished love letter to action-adventure gaming at a time when it was just a standard procedure to release games FINISHED. It gave me huge Wind Waker vibes as well, but maybe I'm a little biased considering Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda (next to Majora's Mask.)

For music, it would be "Consequence Free" by Great Big Sea. I just heard it randomly pop up in my Pandora playlist a few years ago, and instantly wrote the name down so I wouldn't forget it. It's the kind of song I can imagine hearing in the car on a long road trip with my grandparents down to the San Francisco beach. Even though I haven't heard it until pop was already well into its dying years, it still, as with the above entry, evokes feelings of an era long gone.

Movies, I don't really have a pick. I want to say Marley and Me, but that movie isn't that old. I might just be having a placebo feeling right now since I just watched it last night.

Have any of you ever had similar experiences?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3170 Posts

Great question for me it's the movie Deep Blue Sea that came out in the Summer of 1999 I saw it a few years ago on Netflix and started thinking back to that time in my life it was the Summer before the last year of High School for me also I had a seasonal job in the Spring and early Summer of that time. I wish I saw that movie in the theater in 1999. I always imagine how that would feel I get a sense of being refreshed it's weird and hard to explain but I would love to go back and time and experience that movie back in August of 99 I have such strong nostalgia for the late 90's and early 00's.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35482 Posts
Loading Video...

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5120 Posts

Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within featuring live-action FMV 90s style. 1995 to be precise. The same year that the Playstation came out. So that's what I was playing back then. Anyway, GK is a classic game for sure. The story uses historical figures and backdrops, somehow weaving werewolves into it. Wowie, the cats meow and the bees knees! Far out, man and tubular as they used to say!

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#5 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9144 Posts

I wish I could think more about this before answering, but it relates a lot to something I've been excited about lately.

World of Warcraft!

I didn't know much about the game when it first came out, and I didn't have a powerful enough computer or a good enough Internet connection to play early on anyway. By maybe mid-2007, I had decided that I really wanted to play the game, and started obsessively frequenting its website to plan out the character I wanted to play. At the end of 2007 I got the game and redeemed my first free 30 days of playtime, and the game still wouldn't run for me.

It was early 2008 when I was finally able to play WoW, and it took me several months to really learn the basics of the game. I also got my first really worthwhile job around that time, so I didn't get to play as much as I wanted to some weeks. But I have a lot of memories from those first few years with the game, experiencing late-BC content as well as the transition to WoTLK content.

I missed out on the first 3+ years of WoW, and the vanilla experience. But coming along in BC, I got a taste of some of that. So I'm really looking forward to being able to get another shot at things with WoW Classic this year.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2051 Posts

Great topic. This is a question I'd really have to think about honestly...

Just recently I finished watching the Anime: Steins;Gate, which was released in 2011 I believe. It was good. But for whatever reason I really have the urge to go back & rewatch it. Definitely get a nostalgic feeling looking back on that. How ironic because it's related to time travelling. Lol

In terms of video games, there's plenty to be honest. A notable one though is playing Ocarina of Time for the first time on the 3DS back in 2015. That game was such an experience. It was right around the time my family bought a chihuahua too. (Random I know.)

For music, there's too many songs to name. I think in general whenever I listen to a certain track it triggers memories instantly. I sometimes even get déjà vu.