What makes Steve Jobs' rhetoric so successful?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EdgeJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 EdgeJM
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts

Hey Gamespotters,

I've been reading a lot about the new iPad, as I'm sure you have been too, and I've been wondering what it is that makes Jobs' keynote speeches so effective. I used to do a lot of linguistic analysis as part of my English Language and Literature A-Level, but I'm a little rusty, and Jobs' rhetoric seems much more subtle than anything I've analysed before - do any of you have any ideas?

Remember, this isn't about Apple's hardware or Apple as a brand, per se - but Steve Jobs' constructed speech and onstage presence alone.

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

I think it's because he talks a big game, but then his products actually deliver.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38693 Posts
i've never actually watched any of his speeches in full. you're on your own here :P
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

There's a bit about that here.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58519 Posts

turtlenecks.

nuff said

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

He manages to say things (really everything) in a way that everyone can understand and at the same time he makes his company and products sound very ambitious.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
He keeps it vague. ex. Our new ipad is 2x faster and has 8x better graphics processing.. (Yea that doesn't say much much sure does sound good) We can do this.. (Lots of shiny pictures) Plus we help children learn and make the world a better place (appeals to everyone now) Their events are carefully choreographed to make it look like this technology has never been seen before and it will help the whole of humanity. Apple is very good at rhetoric that is for dang sure.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Gullible and ignorant consumers.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

The feeling of being a member of an exclusive club is always a plus. When I had an iphone I felt like the MAN! He's pretty good at getting people to "want one too." It only took one product to get him and his speeches there, the ipod, and people who had it felt like the MAN! None of the products are ever first or the most powerfully spec'd* out piece of hardware it's the Exclusive club factor coupled withignorance.

Ever since I've gotten rid of my phone for something better, I get looks from people who I imagine to say, "What phone is he using? Oh, it's not an iphone." I look back and think, "If only they really knew."

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

The feeling of being a member of an exclusive club is always a plus. When I had an iphone I felt like the MAN! He's pretty good at getting people to "want one too." It only took one product to get him and his speeches there, the ipod, and people who had it felt like the MAN! None of the products are ever first or the most powerfully spec'd* out piece of hardware it's the Exclusive club factor coupled withignorance.

Ever since I've gotten rid of my phone for something better, I get looks from people who I imagine to say, "What phone is he using? Oh, it's not an iphone." I look back and think, "If only they really knew."

lowkey254
if only they could come out with a droid touch