What kind of degree would be good for an aspiring game designer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cronicx-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cronicx-
Member since 2011 • 63 Posts

I wanna design games, at least someday down the road, but I was wondering if there was a certain degree you could go for to help out. For example, I know a Computer Science degree would be good for someone who wants to be a programmer in the game industry, but I can't think of a degree suited for a game designer. Come on Gamespot and Gamespot fans! Help me out!

E3Abe09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 E3Abe09
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

Masters Degree for Game Design or Game Art

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

E3Abe09

Yeah these are good if you are only looking for that, Programming is also a great thing to major or minor in if you want to get into the guts of game design, and has more uses then just game development too giving you some backup.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Computer science is your safest bet really. I mean yeah you can go for something game specific but the game industry isn't exactly the easiest thing to break into and if you ever need to do something not game releated a CS degree looks better i would think. A CS degree give you much bigger playing field imo + its good for a game designer. When developers are looking for new people im sure they are usually looking for people with CS degrees. well at least for the programming side. If you want to do the art side of thing the yeah game art.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
I would suggest doing some Englishes just for the creative storytelling side :)
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

With exception for programming, a degree will more or less be worthless. Building a portfolio of your work is by far the most useful material for getting employed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Computer science. Then you can get a degree in game design.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

If you like computers, then go into software engineering and start to learn programming languages on your own asap. If you like the more story elements of gaming, then go into writing.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I think you need to do more research. You want to "design games" but game programmers don't design games. Hell, even "Game Designers" don't design games - they design game mechanics systems.

Find more information on the different types of game development and consider focusing on the one that interests you the most. If you really like art, you'll enjoy being an artist far more than a programmer.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Most widely known game "designers" are programmers or artists.

If you have the artistic talent, then a degree in art or even a technical certificate for 3D modeling/animation might get you to where you wan to go.

Programming is probably your best bet, since you can fall back to some other job in the software industry until you find an opening in the game industry.

There are a lot of people in the industry who have engineering and math degrees as well, though programming courses/self study will also help.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Russian literature or women studies
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Computer Science definitely is great. I'm going for CS degree and the great thing about it is that learning several programming languages can get you a job anywhere whether it be working in developing games or developing other type of software. A bachelor in CS would make you a software engineer which is definitely something that is needed more and more in society with the increasing use of software in EVERYTHING that is becoming digital.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Russian literature or women studiesimaps3fanboy
You forgot Philosophy.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Major in game design...

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

Shigeru Miyamoto - Dropped out of college

Sid Meier - Never went to college

Cliffy B - Went to college, but he's an ass face anyway.

Tojiro Fugimoto - Dropped out after one year

BE BOLD

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
A "game designer" is such a broad term. Do you have any experience making games? Either your own or recreating things like Mario Bros. or Doom? Experience is going to be far more valuable to a developer than a degree. Showing you have been motivated to pursue this career without formalized training, and do well at it, will make you a desirable designer. If you go to school to get a "degree" in an artstyle, you really won't get anywhere. Computer science is the best bet, since it will allow you access to careers that aren't related to game design when you can't get a job.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
What exactly do you want to do? If you want to turn your ideas into games like a lot of people fantasise about then you have to be the lead designer, it's not a job you can just jump into. There is no job you can just jump in to and start making your dream game.
Cronicx-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cronicx-
Lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'm sure computer science would be good for game design as well.

Cronicx-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cronicx-

Wow thanks guys! A lot to think about. I know that experience is better then anything in this industry but a degree couldn't hurt. So I'm thinking Computer Science? Getting into the industry as a programmer and working my way up as I go. From what you guys are telling me, that's the best way to go, and maybe a few creative writing classes, to help with the stroy telling aspect of game design. Feel free to keep this thread going! Very interesting opinions being said.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Computer Science

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Wow thanks guys! A lot to think about. I know that experience is better then anything in this industry but a degree couldn't hurt. So I'm thinking Computer Science? Getting into the industry as a programmer and working my way up as I go. From what you guys are telling me, that's the best way to go, and maybe a few creative writing classes, to help with the stroy telling aspect of game design. Feel free to keep this thread going! Very interesting opinions being said.

Cronicx-
There's far more art in games than writing actually if you look at the credits for most games the majority of the staff are artists of some sort. It's only very recently that games brought in proper writers, it used to all be done by the lead dev and department heads.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

History or philosophy.

EDIT: Literature.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
If you're interested in computers then just go with Computer Science or computer related engineering. Go where the jobs are because quite frankly a video game degree/career won't get you anywhere.
ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

Com Sci or Software Engineering major with a digital media minor.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

English. Tell me a good story TC.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
There is no job you can just jump in to and start making your dream game.markop2003
Being an indie dev would. But that doesn't guarantee profits, nor financial stability.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

[QUOTE="markop2003"]There is no job you can just jump in to and start making your dream game.Zeviander
Being an indie dev would. But that doesn't guarantee profits, nor financial stability.

That doesn't guarantee I can make my dream game. Maybe my dream game needs to license the latest Unreal engine and get Morgan Freeman, Patrick Stewart, and Orson Welles to do voicework.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

If you really want to be a game designer/developer, you need to start learning how to use programs like 3D Studio Max, UDK or Unreal Ed, Maya, Photoshop or other game engines and their editors and such. Start by creating mods for games (that still allow it) and build a portfolio of your work. You are more likely to get a job with a developer as an artist/modler if you can showcase the fact that you are knowledgeable in the programs used to build assets for games.

There are many instances of modders being hired by game studios to work on newer games. Once your foot is in the door, you can eventually move up the ladder to become the lead artist or the like.

Now, a degree in CS will not hurt if you would rather become a programmer (they work on the engine itself), but if you want to build a game, the above listed programs are a must know requisite.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
Learn programming, specifically C#/C++, it is always handy to know some programming regardless of what you want to do in the game industry. Also, companies look at more than just a degree, you need to build a portfolio, either programs you've made, levels you have designed etc.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts

Don't do any language degree. It's the worst thing that you can do.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
Computer science degree
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

Shigeru Miyamoto - Dropped out of college

Sid Meier - Never went to college

Cliffy B - Went to college, but he's an ass face anyway.

Tojiro Fugimoto - Dropped out after one year

BE BOLD

SaintWalrus
Bill Gates Mark Zuckerburg(sp) Socrates ... The point is... these people were not normal...
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Computer Science degree.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Computer Science degree.Shottayouth13-
Probably the best option. A game dev degree is pretty much a one hit wonder and too specific. With CS, you get all your programming needs and general tech knowledge, and have options out there in case you can't land work in the gaming field....which is an incredibly dificult field to make a living in, if you can even get into it.
en-z-io

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 en-z-io
Member since 2004 • 3390 Posts
[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]You can't go wrong with a Computer Science degree.wis3boi
Probably the best option. A game dev degree is pretty much a one hit wonder and too specific. With CS, you get all your programming needs and general tech knowledge, and have options out there in case you can't land work in the gaming field....which is an incredibly dificult field to make a living in, if you can even get into it.

Agree completely with this.
Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts
Game development, I'm pretty sure there are several universities all over the world who offers that.. And also being a game programmer is different from being a game designer.. The latter requires a ton of creativity.. So I suggest you take creative writing classes, read fantasy books, watch movies and play a lot of video games.. Learn how to draw and design characters and other stuffs..
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

If you get a major in game design ur screwing urself over. That degree isn't part of a proper standard yet, and is kinda worthless in the grand scale of things.get compsci that way u'll have ur options open just incase plus ur education in computers will be more involved.

wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
software engineering, if you don't get your dream job atleast you will make more cash than most people on this site ever would
Gagzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gagzzy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

am on that path now, university of liverpool studying software development (computer science), have game development and AI for modules after the summer, bought the module book now get a head start cant wait

Cronicx-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cronicx-

am on that path now, university of liverpool studying software development (computer science), have game development and AI for modules after the summer, bought the module book now get a head start cant wait

Gagzzy

Congratz dude! keep it up and best of luck on your path to success in the industry. Hopefully I'll be right behind you :)

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts
software engineering, if you don't get your dream job atleast you will make more cash than most people on this site ever would wii60_3
I beg to differ I make 65,000 annually being a douche.
Gagzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gagzzy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Gagzzy"]

Cronicx-

Congratz dude! keep it up and best of luck on your path to success in the industry. Hopefully I'll be right behind you :)

thanks mate same goes for you!

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

E3Abe09

that and a degree in philosophy will be sure to get you a job.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I wanna design games, at least someday down the road, but I was wondering if there was a certain degree you could go for to help out. For example, I know a Computer Science degree would be good for someone who wants to be a programmer in the game industry, but I can't think of a degree suited for a game designer. Come on Gamespot and Gamespot fans! Help me out!

Cronicx-

Not sure. But you might want to look into FullSail university in Florida, a few years back my Cousin wanted to be a game programmer (C++ language) and they had a program for that there so maybe they have a program that would be helpful to you.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

CS, the game industry is not easy to get in. Get a degree that you aren't SOL if you don't get a job in that field.

Plus the game indusutry isn't this sunshine and rainbow place.