What is your view on online piracy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

Do you think it's wrong and would never do it, or do you think it's okay (and why?) I've heard people say it's not really stealing, but I wanted to hear reasons of how it is different than stealing.

#2 Posted by starfox15 (3982 posts) -

Neutral. People will always find ways of stealing and it's just one more way of doing it. I would be lying if I said I've never done it but I try to support the entertainment that I enjoy. I typically end up paying for an album for example if it is worth my money. Nothing is worse than buying a crappy album.

#3 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

@starfox15 said:

Neutral. People will always find ways of stealing and it's just one more way of doing it. I would be lying if I said I've never done it but I try to support the entertainment that I enjoy. I typically end up paying for an album for example if it is worth my money. Nothing is worse than buying a crappy album.

But you don't even have to illegally download music to listen to it for free. You can find just about any song on youtube legally to test it out before you buy.

#4 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

it's bad of course because you are stealing. but like it or not there is some pros to it. People. could be fans of w/e and then end up buying fan stuff that they would never thought of

#5 Posted by Serraph105 (31650 posts) -

To me it's a very grey area. I know that those who feel that I am wrong about this are incredibly vehement in their beliefs, but there are a lot of factors that show an upside to the world of piracy along with the downsides being greatly exaggerated by those who oppose it.

One upside for instance was when a friend turned me onto Game of Thrones, and we marathoned that sh!t the moment he had me hooked. He had pirated that show, all of it, and I would have never been in the position of trying it out otherwise if he hadn't sat my ass down and forced me to give it a chance. The upside is that today I currently own all the books (bought and paid for) and I am not only working my way through the series, but currently promoting both right now as I type this. Seriously go watch and read Game of Thrones.

#6 Edited by Master_Live (18815 posts) -

If you want to pirate, pirate but don't act like you have the moral high ground.

#7 Edited by ferrari2001 (17760 posts) -

If a company is unwilling to offer an affordable and hassle free digital buying experience in which I can acquire their products then piracy should be perfectly acceptable. I mean seriously, sometimes I don't want to drive to the store buy a disc I'm never going to use for extra costs that I don't need simply to obtain a digital copy of a film. Hollywood really needs to play catch up with their digital distribution services. Ultraviolet is crap and itunes is terrible. Let's launch some services that offers deals and DRM free digital copies that can be purchased through an easy to use service. When that happens you will see piracy rates drop tremendously.

#8 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I don't know...

I download mixtapes for free from a particular artist I like, and when he releases an album I may it if it's not insanely priced (above $10).

I initially started watching Games of Thrones illegal via megaupload, and it made me buy all the current seasons on blue-ray. I think it probably does little to nothing to overall profits. For example, I illegally downloaded an album to listen to, but the record company lost no profits because I had no intention of ever buying the album as it's over 20 years old...

#9 Posted by ferrari2001 (17760 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

I don't know...

I download mixtapes for free from a particular artist I like, and when he releases an album I may it if it's not insanely priced (above $10).

I initially started watching Games of Thrones illegal via megaupload, and it made me buy all the current seasons on blue-ray. I think it probably does little to nothing to overall profits. For example, I illegally downloaded an album to listen to, but the record company lost no profits because I had no intention of ever buying the album as it's over 20 years old...

You could argue piracy promotes greater profits for the companies involved, it's more like anti-stealing. I've read several studies that indicated those who pirate music (this study focused on music piracy) actually purchased 30% more songs than those who did not pirate music.

#10 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15062 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

If a company is unwilling to offer an affordable and hassle free digital buying experience in which I can acquire their products then piracy should be perfectly acceptable.

I guess this is what people mean by 'entitlement'.

Get a haircut, hippie.

#11 Edited by Master_Live (18815 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@ferrari2001 said:

If a company is unwilling to offer an affordable and hassle free digital buying experience in which I can acquire their products then piracy should be perfectly acceptable.

Get a haircut, hippie.

Hey fascist, leave him alone! If private companies don't conform to his demands he has the right to steal their product.

#12 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15062 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Hey fascist, leave him alone! If private companies don't conform to his demands he has the right to steal their product.

k

#13 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

I'm calling bs on the idea that people who pirate movies/music etc spend more money on them than people who don't.

#14 Posted by ad1x2 (6589 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Get a haircut, hippie.

Yeah, it's just like Robin Hood. Robin Hood being the torrent sites...

#15 Posted by MrGeezer (59096 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@Fightingfan said:

I don't know...

You could argue piracy promotes greater profits for the companies involved, it's more like anti-stealing. I've read several studies that indicated those who pirate music (this study focused on music piracy) actually purchased 30% more songs than those who did not pirate music.

Here's the thing, though...are they buying more because they pirate? Or are they simply pirating because they're already the sort of person who is heavily into music?

#16 Edited by Master_Live (18815 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

I'm calling bs on the idea that people who pirate movies/music etc spend more money on them than people who don't.

Yep, lets see some sources.

#17 Posted by Perfect_Blue (29841 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

If a company is unwilling to offer an affordable and hassle free digital buying experience in which I can acquire their products then piracy should be perfectly acceptable. I mean seriously, sometimes I don't want to drive to the store buy a disc I'm never going to use for extra costs that I don't need simply to obtain a digital copy of a film. Hollywood really needs to play catch up with their digital distribution services. Ultraviolet is crap and itunes is terrible. Let's launch some services that offers deals and DRM free digital copies that can be purchased through an easy to use service. When that happens you will see piracy rates drop tremendously.

Aren't you Catholic? Didn't know they rationalize stealing these days.

#18 Posted by Perfect_Blue (29841 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/12/05/swiss-government-study-finds-internet-downloads-increase-sales/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/illegal-downloaders-spend-the-most-on-music-says-poll-1812776.html

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/apr/21/study-finds-pirates-buy-more-music

Pirates are also the ones buying merchandise and concert tickets which is how artists make their money.

#19 Posted by Horgen (116215 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Get a haircut, hippie.

I can understand that reasoning if the company decides not to release said product or delay with months to years before making it available in the country you are living in.

Go some 10 years back in time and I think downloading wasn't illegal in Norway... So it was not unheard of people dl newest episodes from shows they followed. After all they were sent a year or two later on TV here. You could get them on DVD before they where shown here.

#20 Edited by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

I'm indifferent. Piracy is a nice equalizer against corporate greed. It lets ideas and digital products get recognition for what they are independent of how much their monetary value is (or how much publisher backing it has). The music I listen to, for example, wouldn't even exist if not for the ability for people to sample the entirety of the music before purchasing it.

#21 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

@starfox15 said:

But you don't even have to illegally download music to listen to it for free. You can find just about any song on youtube legally to test it out before you buy.

You do realize that you're still committing piracy by listening to the music on Youtube, right? Unless the publisher of the music themselves uploaded it...

#22 Posted by MrGeezer (59096 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/12/05/swiss-government-study-finds-internet-downloads-increase-sales/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/illegal-downloaders-spend-the-most-on-music-says-poll-1812776.html

Pirates are also the ones buying merchandise and concert tickets which is how artists make their money.

Pirates DO spend more money than the people who don't. However, that DOESN'T mean that piracy increases sales. As the first link notes, people (pirate or not) operate on a limited income and the amount that they allocate towards entertainment tends to stay the same. The ones who spend more money tend to be the bigger fans, and THAT'S why they spend more money. This is also why they pirate: because they're bigger fans of music (or movies or whatever).

#23 Edited by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Pirates DO spend more money than the people who don't. However, that DOESN'T mean that piracy increases sales. As the first link notes, people (pirate or not) operate on a limited income and the amount that they allocate towards entertainment tends to stay the same. The ones who spend more money tend to be the bigger fans, and THAT'S why they spend more money. This is also why they pirate: because they're bigger fans of music (or movies or whatever).

Is increased sales that important for artists? Sales hardly benefits the artists directly - they benefit much more from the word of mouth that piracy gets them. It's more about the publishers and labels getting ripped off, because they're paying for the distribution. Distributors typically take advantage of their artists anyways (forcing artistic restraints + milking character) and that's why people generally don't care

#24 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@starfox15 said:

You do realize that you're still committing piracy by listening to the music on Youtube, right? Unless the publisher of the music themselves uploaded it...

Not necessarily you can obtain permission to post music.

The legal issue fall with Google, and google would comply to avoid law suits not the consumer of the content.

#25 Posted by MrGeezer (59096 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Is increased sales that important for artists? Sales hardly benefits the artists directly - they benefit much more from the word of mouth that piracy gets them. It's more about the publishers and labels getting ripped off, because they're paying for the distribution. Distributors typically take advantage of their artists anyways (forcing artistic restraints + milking character) and that's why people generally don't care

I didn't take a stance on how important sales are to the artists. I'm just saying that people should be careful not to falsely state a causal relationship. Yes, pirates do spend more money on music (and movies, etc), but that DOESN'T mean that piracy increases sales. I've never seen a single study that actually established a causal relationship in which the increased sales were BECAUSE OF piracy.

#26 Posted by deeliman (3728 posts) -

I pirate stuff from time to time, if I either don't have money for it or just don't feel like buying it. I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking this is justified in some way, it's just that I don't really care.

#27 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@starfox15 said:

True, but you can also go on Amazon or itunes and listen to a sample of any song they sell, which is perfectly legal.