What is your opinion of community colleges?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enragedcritic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 enragedcritic
Member since 2010 • 212 Posts

For me its a waste of time and easy... at least the credits transfer.. it feels exactly like high school. An associates degree is useless but all well..

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
Low, but honestly I do see some of the benefits of going to a community college and how they might help certain students.
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I think they're neat.

Why are you asking so many questions lately?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
they are fine but like any school there are good ones and bad ones. only a fool would think all universities and colleges are created equal
blo_op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blo_op
Member since 2010 • 332 Posts
I go to community college. The reason being my lack of motivation when I was in high school to actually apply to a university. It has its benefits and I get to transfer. It's alright.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

They are a great stepping stone for those less financially and academically qualified.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
They're good for gen-eds since they're cheaper and easier. I wouldn't take a core class in one though.
Shrimp_Scampi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shrimp_Scampi
Member since 2010 • 386 Posts

I think ccs are a better option than 4 year schools, because after 2 years you transfer to the "main campus" and get your 4 year degree. Also you arn't let with 100 grand in debt

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

They are a great stepping stone for those less financially and academically qualified.

Espada12

So freakin true, but now that I know how to learn, I can totally move on. I would argue community colleges are better for a lot of people, its just hype to want to spend thousands of dollars at a university. Though I think it is because people want to live on campus, that sort of thing.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#10 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

mahlasor

So freakin true, but now that I know how to learn, I can totally move on. I would argue community colleges are better for a lot of people, its just hype to want to spend thousands of dollars at a university. Though I think it is because people want to live on campus, that sort of thing.

Not to mention employers look at a university degree in a more favorable light than a community college one.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 surrealnumber5

Espada12
you mean "and/or" right?
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I wouldn't say associates degrees are useless. While I'm searching for a job a requirement is often an associates degree. I'm also thinking about going to a community college to pursue a degree in art. I graduated from a university almost two years ago, but I want to save some money. :D
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
I think I should have gone to one for two years. Would have saved me at least 20K.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
*Opinion Alert***Opinion Alert***Opinion Alert* In my life experience, community college was a place for less motivated/ambitious students to continue the high school experience but not give up on the prospect of a college degree. Though most, that I knew, stopped going within a year or two and never went back.
Shrimp_Scampi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shrimp_Scampi
Member since 2010 • 386 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

THE_DRUGGIE

Not to mention employers look at a university degree in a more favorable light than a community college one.

not if you finish at a university.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I wouldn't go to one, but it's better than nothing.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

surrealnumber5

you mean "and/or" right?

Yeah I just left it out!

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#18 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Shrimp_Scampi

not if you finish at a university.

If you finish at a university, you have a university degree.

My statement still stands.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 surrealnumber5
*Opinion Alert***Opinion Alert***Opinion Alert* In my life experience, community college was a place for less motivated/ambitious students to continue the high school experience but not give up on the prospect of a college degree. Though most, that I knew, stopped going within a year or two and never went back. FragStains
out of my group of friends i met at my uni my first year, there were about 15 of us, only 4 graduated and it was about the same when i went to CC. noted i transfered out with 8 required for my AD.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Community colleges are great to get your associates at, but if you want to be taken seriously you need to get good grades and transfer to a university.

gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

4 our 5 days I'd say that community colleges are for retarded people who aren't smart enough to get into a 4 year. Or poor. Or like Natty Light and sleeping in until 1:30PM instead of learning. But today is that one day where - in this terrible economic climate - maybe killing a semester of gen eds at your local CC isn't such a bad idea.

Avatar image for XiaolinPrincess
XiaolinPrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 XiaolinPrincess
Member since 2006 • 7907 Posts
I always thought that community college was for people who weren't smart, but still had to go to college.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 surrealnumber5
I always thought that community college was for people who weren't smart, but still had to go to college.XiaolinPrincess
if that were the case there are a lot of people going to college that should not be. if you think it takes talent to get into a good college youre mistaken
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
tool of the devil.
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

[QUOTE="XiaolinPrincess"]I always thought that community college was for people who weren't smart, but still had to go to college.surrealnumber5
if that were the case there are a lot of people going to college that should not be. if you think it takes talent to get into a good college youre mistaken

To get into my state's University you pretty much just needed a pulse.

Community colleges are great for getting your generals out of the way and then transferring to a 4 year since community colleges are much cheaper. It's around 7-8k a year to go to the University here, 2.8-3k for the community college near me.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="XiaolinPrincess"]I always thought that community college was for people who weren't smart, but still had to go to college.Atmanix

Community colleges are great for getting your generals out of the way and then transferring to a 4 year since community colleges are much cheaper. It's around 7-8k a year to go to the University here, 2.8-3k for the community college near me.

You dont even need a pulse to get into some of the schools around here. Under ethnicity, you just check other and write in cadaver. =P
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="XiaolinPrincess"]I always thought that community college was for people who weren't smart, but still had to go to college.Atmanix

it went from 3k to 4-5k cc to uni for me but the cc was down the street and the uni was 120 miles away from my house, so it came with a lot of additional expenses. it was the only school i wanted to go to because if its accounting program and small size.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#28 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

CC is an affordable and convenient way to get the first 2yrs of your 4yr. degree out of the way.

Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

[QUOTE="Atmanix"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] if that were the case there are a lot of people going to college that should not be. if you think it takes talent to get into a good college youre mistakenAllicrombie

You dont even need a pulse to get into some of the schools around here. Under ethnicity, you just check other and write in cadaver. =P

No joke. The same was true in my hometown.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#30 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

CC is an affordable and convenient way to get the first 2yrs of your 4yr. degree out of the way.

gamecubepad
And a way to confound those pesky teenageers going to a university.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

You're an idiot if you DON'T go to a community college at first, unless you have a full or mostly full scholarship. The amount of money you spend on a typicla 4 year college is crazy. You'll end up with up with tons of debt most likely. You cna get your two years done at a community college and then transfer to the college of your choice. Since you ONLY have 2 years left to do at the college of your choice, its much easier to achieve and claim a 4.00 GPA since your GPA - for that school - resets when starting that school.

People will only care about where you got your BA/BS from.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I respect people who go there to get their Gen-Eds out of the way for much less money than a big University with plans to transfer later, but people who only go to CC and think its the same as a university education are fooling themselves.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

4 our 5 days I'd say that community colleges are for retarded people who aren't smart enough to get into a 4 year. Or poor. Or like Natty Light and sleeping in until 1:30PM instead of learning. But today is that one day where - in this terrible economic climate - maybe killing a semester of gen eds at your local CC isn't such a bad idea.

gamerfan85

Kind of sounds stuck up dude. I went to community college TO GET SMART, high school sucks. To be honest, it wasnt that I couldnt get smart, it just was confusing how they did it. I think a lot of it is high school is depressing, having to work 30+ hours while going to school, especially if the job sucks... You are right to an extent, but you have to think a little deeper. I had classes that were 8:00 AM, and I had to drive 25 minutes to get there, so I dont know what you mean by 1:30 pm, THAT IS A GOOD TIME TO LEARN. Morning is a bad time for a lot of stuff.

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts
It's a joke its highschool 2.0...community college is only good for taking a few gen elect classes and then transferring to somewhere worthwhile.
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
well they don't cost as much as a university. you still get a degree, while it may not be as "good" as a degree from a university, you're still getting educated. Plus, my parents won't pay for a 4 year college for me, so I'm pretty much stuck with community college.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
I suppose what one's plans are will determine how relevant community college is. For many jobs dealing with computer hardware or networking, a two year degree is more than enough. Many professionals use them to obtain extra certificates. Depending on what kind of 4 year college in is sight, community college can be a cheap alternative for acquiring ger classes. If I could to things over, I would have taken my general requirements at a community college instead of the 4 year university I attended.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

They're an integral part of the American education system and help people who struggled in high school or who can't afford four year institutions to get an affordable education. Just a couple of facts, the number of people who enter community college unprepared for college level courses is higher, but the completion rate of community colleges is also higher. Associates degrees may be useless on their own, but they're often stepping stones to bachelor's programs at more traditional colleges. Community college students are also very competitive in these programs and more than a few obervers have noted greater motivation at times among community college graduates than among students coming straight from high school.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I currently attend one. It makes completing the first two year of college classes affordable. However, unless one plans to attain at the very least a bachelor's degree, it is useless. A two year associate's has essentially no market value.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 theone86

It's a joke its highschool 2.0...community college is only good for taking a few gen elect classes and then transferring to somewhere worthwhile.AL_GREEN

My philosophy professor at community college teaches at Loyola and says he doesn't teach any differently there than he teaches at community college.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Someone translate this into British terms.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 theone86

Someone translate this into British terms.

CBR600-RR

Community Colleges are funded in part by tax dollars and in part by tuition, but tuition is far lower than any other educational institution. They accept virtually all applicants so those with low grades in high school can get in. They offer remedial clas$es designed to prepare the unerprepared for college, in addition to trade programs and non-credit courses. You can't get a bachelor's degree there, although some people are pushing for that now, you get what's called an associate's degree and then typically you can transfer into a bachelor's program at a four-year college (most CCs are two year programs if you go full time).

Bruin4ev3r1520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bruin4ev3r1520
Member since 2005 • 8843 Posts
I went to a CC for 1 and a half years before transferring to a 4 year university. I got into a couple universities (Cal Poly's and Cal states) out of high school and went to one (Cal Poly Pomona) for a quarter and decided that I'd rather go to one of the UCs, which I had no chance of getting into out of high school since I was an incredibly lazy high school student. I left CPP after one quarter and went to a CC literally 30 seconds further down the road.

CC can definitely be a drag, but it's not full of idiots like people might have you believe. I didn't hate my time there, but I didn't really enjoy it either. I just wanted to hurry up and get out. It was crowded as hell, and getting the necessary classes was damn near impossible. I had a few adults (30s and 40s) in almost all my classes which I didn't mind but there always seemed to be one who thought he/she was superior to all the younger students. Most of the people I found to be really nice, and I did make friends there but none that were really significant. Sadly, the "high school 2.0" description is accurate in some way. Not all of my classes were easy, but I only took 2 or 3 that I would say are as difficult as the courses I'm taking here. I took a couple that I would say are actually easier than my high school classes. Out of all the different professors I had there was only one I didn't like, but the rest were incredible (right now i have 4 at my UC and I only like one. The other 3 aren't terrible, but they just seem like they don't care about teaching the class.) I'm just finishing up my first quarter here at UCSB and I have to say that I'm glad I saved 2 years worth of tuition because this **** aint cheap. But on the other hand, I feel like I missed out on A LOT by going to CC for 2 years. (Not academically. I mean the whole college life experience type of thing.) Coming in as a transfer student flat out just sucks in so many ways. I really wish I could have entered as a freshman, but its what I get for being a lazy bum in high school. I really, really cannot express how much I regret not coming in as a freshman.

Basically, if you have even the slightest opportunity to go to a university out of high school, then skip CC. Even if you don't think you have the money right now, do your research because there are ways to pay without piling on massive debt. I think ponying up the extra money is worth the experience you'd be missing out on your first couple of years. But then again, since I didn't actually have that experience so my opinion may not mean much. I'm just basing it off the fact that all my friends who went off to a university loved it and were infinitely happier than me or any of the people who went to a CC.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Seems pretty useless unless you intend to follow through with it and go for a 4 year degree.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Seems pretty useless unless you intend to follow through with it and go for a 4 year degree.

UnknownSniper65

That's practically the whole point.

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts

[QUOTE="AL_GREEN"]It's a joke its highschool 2.0...community college is only good for taking a few gen elect classes and then transferring to somewhere worthwhile.theone86

My philosophy professor at community college teaches at Loyola and says he doesn't teach any differently there than he teaches at community college.

Awesome employers will probably be so impressed they'll hire you on the spot