What is your opinion of AMC's 'Breaking Bad'?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

Poll What is your opinion of AMC's 'Breaking Bad'? (43 votes)

It's a masterpiece and a true marvel of television. It deserves every bit of praise it gets. 56%
It's really good, but nothing amazing. 19%
It's good enough, but kind of 'meh' 12%
Mediocre, at best. 0%
It's a steaming pile of dog turds that has no business being on television. 14%

So, AMC's award-winning hit series 'Breaking Bad' has been officially named the highest-rated television series of all time by the Guinness World Records, since it has a whopping score of 99/100 on MetaCritic.

So, I figured that I ought to set up a poll to gauge OT's opinions of the show. I know that I pick the first option, and to add to that, it was the first show that I can honestly say that I have ever been hooked on. I have made it through four seasons, and I am yet to start season five. Looking forward to it :D

So OT, what are your opinions?

P.S. Check out the BB sig ;)

• 
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I was surprised that it actually lived up to the hype. It's incredibly well written and consistently interesting and compelling. It's tough to find faults in the series.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

More than adequate

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

One of the best shows TV has ever given us.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Mostly "meh". Felt that it had a bit of a teenager pull "Look how badass it is to kill people and sell drugs!"

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I need to finish that

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaintLeonidas

@korvus said:

Mostly "meh". Felt that it had a bit of a teenager pull "Look how badass it is to kill people and sell drugs!"

Love when people say this. It is like their minds were completely off while watching the show. Or else they have a very wrong idea as to what "badass" or "cool" really means.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@SaintLeonidas: Did my post sound like I found it either badass or cool? I meant that I felt that's what they were trying to pull. The show was a mess with zero emotional connection...halfway through the first season I just wanted them all dead and someone to pick up the kids.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@SaintLeonidas said:

@korvus said:

Love when people say this. It is like their minds were completely off while watching the show. Or else they have a very wrong idea as to what "badass" or "cool" really means.

To me a lot of the violence wasn't really glorified. It was intense, it was nuts at times (the finale of "One Minute" comes to mind) but it never really felt glorified except maybe in the last episode. IDK to me the show definitely didn't side with the violent act (they spend over half of season 4 on how fucked up Jesse is because of the end of season 3) and didn't say "this is cool!" It's just one of those stories that is about bad people but doesn't really glorify it.

And as far as drugs go, the show was hugely anti drug. I can't remember any time in the show where drug use was ever positive aside from Walt's Chemo.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintLeonidas

@korvus said:

@SaintLeonidas: Did my post sound like I found it either badass or cool? I meant that I felt that's what they were trying to pull. The show was a mess with zero emotional connection...halfway through the first season I just wanted them all dead and someone to pick up the kids.

My god, how boring fiction would be if only stories with characters worth liking were ever written.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

2nd best show i have seen.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@korvus said:

Exactly. Like, the show may give the impression of glorifying drugs and murder, but upon closer inspection, you see that it is much more than that. There is a depth to it's plot, underneath it's initial premise.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

It's quite good but starts to drag at a point. The first two seasons were by far the best, with Gus being the saving grace of the last few seasons. Honestly I wasn't as fond of the last season because Gus wasn't in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@SaintLeonidas said:

My god, how boring fiction would be if only stories with characters worth liking were ever written.

There should be at least one or 2 likable characters in every show in my opinion. Thankfully I don't need to approve of the shows you watch in order for you to have fun with them or vice-versa =)

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@Kevlar101 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@korvus said:

Exactly. Like, the show may give the impression of glorifying drugs and murder, but upon closer inspection, you see that it is much more than that. There is a depth to it's plot, underneath it's initial premise.

The entire thing is about how Walter's decision to cook meth ruins the lives of literally everyone around him. It does not glorify selling drugs, it just says "this is something that could happen if this situation arose." Every single bad thing in the series is because Walt decided to start cooking. It definitely does not glorify drugs.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dave123321

I don't get the whole killing is cool vibe, especially with how it messed up Jesse

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SaintLeonidas

@korvus said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

There should be at least one or 2 likable characters in every show in my opinion. Thankfully I don't need to approve of the shows you watch in order for you to have fun with them or vice-versa =)

No, you must like them.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dave123321

I am at a lost at the idea the show tried to glorify Walt

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kevlar101

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@korvus said:

The entire thing is about how Walter's decision to cook meth ruins the lives of literally everyone around him. It does not glorify selling drugs, it just says "this is something that could happen if this situation arose." Every single bad thing in the series is because Walt decided to start cooking. It definitely does not glorify drugs.

Yeah, exactly. You said it better than I, sir (or madam?)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@SaintLeonidas: But mommy...sigh...fine >_<

I mean, the show is not the worst thing I have ever watched, the acting was solid, but I didn't buy any of it.

Teacher turned drug lord that all of a sudden intimidates everyone while dropping hints about his identity left and right, everybody else gets shot while he walks into every drug lord's den, does whatever the **** he wants, explodes half a building (seriously?)...and then people say "I liked the show because this is what happens when you get involved with drugs"...seriously? That's how you think live works?

No accounting for taste, I guess...I didn't like Breaking Bad, can't even stomach 30 seconds of Arrested Development, think there's no merit to The Witcher except ProjektRed's policies, almost fell asleep during the Avengers...oh well, I'm not with the majority but luckily there's plenty to keep me entertained (although the shows I watch tend to get cancelled XD)

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 turtlethetaffer
@Kevlar101 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@korvus said:

Yeah, exactly. You said it better than I, sir (or madam?)

sir :P Anyone who actually thinks about the story will find that the show isn't saying "hey this stuff is cool!"

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:

It's quite good but starts to drag at a point. The first two seasons were by far the best, with Gus being the saving grace of the last few seasons. Honestly I wasn't as fond of the last season because Gus wasn't in it.

The first half of season 5 had me worried and was EASILY the worst part of the show (which I felt had been consistently getting better and better). Thank GOD the second half of season 5 got amazing again and ending with such a good finale.

Oh and Breaking Bad is easily the best drama around. Can't say best show as I think you always need to distinguish between dramas and comedies as they operate and succeed on such different levels.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dave123321

We just don't get the whole Walt was glorified thing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@dave123321 said:

Seriously? You didn't get the whole "**** everyone, I'm the only one who matters?" vibe? Must have been just me then.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dave123321

I prefer SFU and TW

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dave123321

@korvus: like the vibe that Walt was a self serving, self centered, manipulative ass?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@dave123321 said:

@korvus: like the vibe that Walt was a self serving, self centered, manipulative ass

Pretty much. What's your point?

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chessmaster1989
@LostProphetFLCL said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

The first half of season 5 had me worried and was EASILY the worst part of the show (which I felt had been consistently getting better and better). Thank GOD the second half of season 5 got amazing again and ending with such a good finale.

Oh and Breaking Bad is easily the best drama around. Can't say best show as I think you always need to distinguish between dramas and comedies as they operate and succeed on such different levels.

I liked the ending but I don't think the second half of season 5 was particularly special.

As for best drama (if we're just distinguishing comedy and drama), I very much disagree. To name a few, Twin Peaks, Sherlock, The West Wing, Battlestar Galactica are all better.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dave123321

@korvus: It seemed apparent that as the show progressed that Walt wasn't really a person the show wanted us to root for.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dave123321

2nd half of season five had some missteps for sure. Mostly felt rushed. Like maybe nothing major needed to change, but it needed some breathing room

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@dave123321: There was nobody to root for, but to me it felt that the show was mostly about a guy who was tired of being a nobody and decided to **** everybody in his life over in exchange for power; said "**** being a teacher, if I want to be a drug lord I can, watch me...". Then they made him to be pretty much untouchable (he didn't really care about his family or Jess, he was just possessive about them), indispensable and irreplaceable (althought they pretended he wasn't every now and then so it wouldn't be too obvious), he did what he wanted during the whole show (even though they pretended to make him want to quit), in some episodes, with the shit he pulled off, he only needed a phone booth and a pair of tights, then at the end...get caught? Hell no, he goes out as some kind of saviour...that's pretty much glorified in my opinion.

And how about the other characters? Some of them were likable and then they all turned into self-absorbed asshats, meaning I stopped caring what happened to them because they all had it coming...to me, when I stop caring about the characters, there's no reason to watch a show. I understand lots of people enjoy watching shows even if they don't like any of the characters, and that's absolutely fine, but it doesn't work for me.

But seriously, I wasn't trying to convince anyone to stop liking the show or convince people not to watch. TC asked what my opinion was, I shared it. Don't think any of us needs to justify ourselves. I'm always happy when people find stuff they enjoy...if it's not my cup of tea, something else will be =)

In any case, it's 7am and I realised I forgot to go to bed. Damn it....I'll see you guys later =D

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I liked the ending but I don't think the second half of season 5 was particularly special.

As for best drama (if we're just distinguishing comedy and drama), I very much disagree. To name a few, Twin Peaks, Sherlock, The West Wing, Battlestar Galactica are all better.

I really liked the direction they took with the second half to bring the story to a close.

As for those shows you mentioned, I have interest in Twin Peaks and what I watched of Sherlock was cool but not even close to Breaking Bad levels of awesomeness.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dave123321

@korvus: your feelings about the characters is understandable and it not being your cup of tea is perfectly fine. There is also something to your criticism that Walt basically had magic on his side at points and maybe he got off too easily. It was definitely a mess at times, but overall the show didn't really seem to want us to view Walt as some sort of badass hero but rather view him basically how you felt about him. His last talk with wife showing that he was basically in it for himself taking notice that he was deluding himself that it was for his family.

Basically the whole point of the show seemed the opposite of the teenage pull of saying look at how badass and cool it is to sell drugs and kill people. Like the show or not(plenty of reasons to not like the show), but it seemed clear that the intent of the show wasn't to glorify drugs and murder. Maybe it failed at what it set out to do, but it set out to do something that was in opposition to what you said it wanted to do.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

I thought it was pretty good overall, especially since it didn't try to drag on season after season. What I didn't like about the ending though is

how open ended Jesse's story is. He just drives away into the night with no clues as to what he'll do now. I really started rooting for him and was glad that he was trying to get out of drugs, but what will he do now that he's free? Will he go back into the business or stay clean? I want to know!!

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chessmaster1989
@LostProphetFLCL said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I really liked the direction they took with the second half to bring the story to a close.

As for those shows you mentioned, I have interest in Twin Peaks and what I watched of Sherlock was cool but not even close to Breaking Bad levels of awesomeness.

Twin Peaks is really great but it's also a weird show. Definitely not for everyone but I very highly recommend it. It does go downhill some in the second half of the second season unfortunately, but everything up to that is amazing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

It's awesome, but I'm going to make out it sucks be hipster and get attention.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It's a good show but the fanbase is even more annoying than Game of Thrones fans.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Its good, but certainly not a 9/10 material. Man the hype with this one is staggering.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

It was a bore for me. Got thru season 1 and half of season 2 before I decided it's just too slow of a plot for me to waste another hour of my life on in hopes that it'll get better (because people say it does). If I'm not hooked after season 1, I'm done.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dave123321

: you should ignore the fanbase of anything. Also treat any level praise with a large grain of salt. It allows a much better level of pure enjoyment

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I greatly enjoyed it. Season 6 (?) was a little off key for me, it kind of went a different direction than what I was expecting, but was nonetheless excellent.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Yup,need to re-watch it!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's a great show but the last season really caused me to lose a lot of respect and interest in it. It's like The Wire's last season, except a much more noticeable drop in quality. Felt like the smart writing that persisted through out the show just completely fell apart once we reached the last stretch. Things started to happen for no reason, characters began to make irrational actions that didn't line up with their character, and the writing was growing flimsier than a paper boat with some of the situations Walt was getting himself into.

But, like I said, great show. Seasons 1-4 are impeccable. Season 5 not so much but it does an alright job of wrapping the series up. It could have been a lot worse, but it could've been so much more. The worst thing a show can have is a predictable ending, and anyone could've predicted the ending of the show based on a plot synopsis on the initial seasons - just felt lazy.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kevlar101

@KHAndAnime said:

It's a great show but the last season really caused me to lose a lot of respect and interest in it. It's like The Wire's last season, except a much more noticeable drop in quality. Felt like the smart writing that persisted through out the show just completely fell apart once we reached the last stretch. Things started to happen for no reason, characters began to make irrational actions that didn't line up with their character, and the writing was growing flimsier than a paper boat with some of the situations Walt was getting himself into.

But, like I said, great show. Seasons 1-4 are impeccable. Season 5 not so much but it does an alright job of wrapping the series up. It could have been a lot worse, but it could've been so much more. The worst thing a show can have is a predictable ending, and anyone could've predicted the ending of the show based on a plot synopsis on the initial seasons - just felt lazy.

Very respectable post.

You presented your opinions objectively and properly, perfectly conveying criticisms in good manner. And even better, you did it in such a way that there were no spoilers, and that is valuable.

I rate your post 9/10, good sir.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

I loved it. The first season was kinda rough, but they really did a great job with the series overall!

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#46 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@konvikt_17 said:

2nd best show i have seen.

Just curious,what was your first???

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#47 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

I agree with this statement.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts
@korvus said:

@dave123321 said:

Seriously? You didn't get the whole "**** everyone, I'm the only one who matters?" vibe? Must have been just me then.

That was kind of the crux of his character, the slow devolution of Walter White, as we found out more and more how little he actually cared for anyone but himself.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

It was a good show but I really disliked Walt during most of the show except up until the end, his wife and her sister were both megab*****s. Hank, Jesse, Gus, and Mike were my favorite characters and Saul and his comical metaphors/sarcasim added the comical balance the show needed. If Walt had just cooperated with Gus......on a side note there are so many ways that Breaking Bad could tie into The Walking Dead outbreak.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

In my opinion, in my 52 years of life, its the best show on TV ever, edging out Game of Thrones and the original Twilight Zone.

Hard to compare it to comedies like "I Love Lucy", "The Honeymooners", "All in The Family" or "Seinfeld" though.

Breaking Bad is an example of when every element in a TV show works on all cylinders.