What is the most heroic thing you've ever done?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6550 Posts

I'm having trouble remembering anything heroic that I have done. I guess I've given rides to people... Oh, and I tried to defend someone who was getting beat up. How about you, what's the most heroic thing you've ever done?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 7524 Posts

None sadly that I can think of but I would easily save someones life even if it ended mine chances are they have more people that love them then I do.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DEVILinIRON

@warmblur: Love yourself. Save yourself. This will be the most heroic thing you've ever done.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1445 Posts

I pulled a little girl out of the water near Pier 39 in San Francisco back in 93. Me and a buddy were sitting on the stone steps not far from the waters edge having some beers. Some kids were playing near the bottom steps when we heard a splash and heard one kid freaking out about his sister. So we run down to the bottom of the steps and I see a little face looking up from under the water and bubbles coming up. I jump in to realize its only chest deep on me, pull the girl up and hand her to my friend. The parents rush over and thank us but then go back to sit where they were and the kids went back to playing on the same steps. I wanted to kick the father in the face.

Then for the cheery on top. A cop comes over to see what happened. Thanks us for helping and confiscates our beer. We were only 18. Didn't ticket us or anything though. Then we had to leave because I was soaked in SF Bay water. Shitty day.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 50219 Posts

Nothing heroic that I can think of. I'd like to think because of my size and resting mean face I might have deterred some people from harming folks around me, maybe?

Used to walk girls to their cars every so often during college because a couple girls were raped over a period of a few weeks.

But I've never actually done anything heroic.

@warmblur said:

None sadly that I can think of but I would easily save someones life even if it ended mine chances are they have more people that love them then I do.

God, if only it were that easy.

Would gladly cash my life in to save another's.

@heathen75 said:

I pulled a little girl out of the water near Pier 39 ... The parents rush over and thank us but then go back to sit where they were and the kids went back to playing on the same steps. I wanted to kick the father in the face.

Then for the cheery on top. A cop comes over to see what happened. Thanks us for helping and confiscates our beer. We were only 18. Didn't ticket us or anything though. Then we had to leave because I was soaked in SF Bay water. Shitty day.

Should have let her drown...

...kidding :P

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 37192 Posts

donated peripheral blood stem cells to a cancer patient once.

it's similar to bone marrow donation but non-surgical.

i had signed to for the bone marrow registry https://bethematch.org/ while in college.

a few years later I was contacted saying i was potentially a match for a patient. the ran some more blood tests and it turned out i was a good match so i was given the opportunity to donate. it would be either marrow or blood stem cells ( doctors make decision ).

basically every day for a few days a nurse would come to my home and give me an injection of a bone marrow stimulant to increase the cell count in my blood for collection. then had to travel to NYC for collection. basically just hooked up to a machine that would take blood out of one arm, filter out the cells to donate and put the blood back in the other arm.

only side affects i had was pain in my sternum and legs ( side affect of the injections ) and was very tired day after donation.

i don't know how the patient fared since it is all anonymous. i like to think it helped :)

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1782 Posts

I took the blame for something I didn't do when I was at primary school. Got the whole class out of breaktime detention and won a bunch of respect and guilt from my teacher.

That was a high point.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

Don't think I've ever done anything extraordinary to help somebody.

Lots of people get hubris when skiing or snowboarding and hurt themselves, I think it happens at least every other day in the slopes that I collect people's stuff and help them up again 😄

It might look rad and graceful when I carve with precision to maintain speed while keeping a compact posture to be able to pick up everything from the ground. But to be honest, I've had a lot of practice and I expect others to do the same if they were in the same situation.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 5578 Posts

Rides to strangers? Do it less often now, wife is concerned about potential danger.

Not heroic, but enjoyed helping a young kid with his order at Chipotle. The cashier was ignoring/could not hear him. Had to step in.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 16178 Posts

Are we defining heroism as strictly in service to another, or simply showing courage in the face of fear/adversity?

jboycat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jboycat
Member since 2021 • 27 Posts

I guess the most heroic thing I've ever done was tell nice people to *just leave* a guy alone that really was a cool guy.

People respected it. Other than that - I'm always a jerk to people, laughing all the time like I can't get in trouble like a jerk from a book I read called Camp Fear.

Must be why I get targeted...

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DEVILinIRON

@MirkoS77: Whichever. Do tell.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20168 Posts

I correct other people's grammar on the internet.

You're welcome.