What is our country (USA) coming to!?!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
Have you heard that now two commercails from the Super Bowl have been either taken off the air or changed? The commercials in question are the Snickers one where the guys just about kiss while eating a Snickers and the other one is a GM commercial where a robot makes a mistake building a car and ends up jumping off a bridge (the robot does wake up showing that it was a dream). The Snickers one has been cancelled due to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance (I don't know if that is the name, it's a total guess) think it is homophobic and GM is changing their ad after talking to the Suicide Prevention group... Now, most people, if not all people, found the Snickers commercial funny. I don't feel like it was very homophobic because i would have done the same thing if I about kissed a dude because I'm not gay I don't dislike gays but doing something like that would warrant doing a "manly" thing to feel better about myself. Also, when did a robot become a human? A ROBOT jumps off a bridge. It's a non living thing! It's sad that our country has turned into a place where a couple of people can complain and get stuff changed when there reasons are completely ridiculous. People need to grow up and learn that things can be funny and that everything isn't against you!
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts
[spoiler] WALL OF TEXT!!!!!1111!!!oneone [/spoiler]
That is all.
andyxm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 andyxm
Member since 2006 • 6194 Posts
ya, i think its taking it a bit far, and the over reaction with the adult swim promo falls into this catagory as well. America the once place of freedom of speech has fallen victim to hypersensitivity, and paranoia.
fedameda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fedameda
Member since 2005 • 2340 Posts
Its retarded that the same people who are against suicide are against enforcing safety regulations and the groups for suicide are pro safety regulation. But hey, mindless mangling redundancy is the american way. Hell, we have TWO websites to report ineffeciencies. Thats right. America FTW
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts
Sad to say that is what happens in this PC country.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Have you heard that now two commercails from the Super Bowl have been either taken off the air or changed? The commercials in question are the Snickers one where the guys just about kiss while eating a Snickers and the other one is a GM commercial where a robot makes a mistake building a car and ends up jumping off a bridge (the robot does wake up showing that it was a dream). The Snickers one has been cancelled due to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance (I don't know if that is the name, it's a total guess) think it is homophobic and GM is changing their ad after talking to the Suicide Prevention group... Now, most people, if not all people, found the Snickers commercial funny. I don't feel like it was very homophobic because i would have done the same thing if I about kissed a dude because I'm not gay I don't dislike gays but doing something like that would warrant doing a "manly" thing to feel better about myself. Also, when did a robot become a human? A ROBOT jumps off a bridge. It's a non living thing! It's sad that our country has turned into a place where a couple of people can complain and get stuff changed when there reasons are completely ridiculous. People need to grow up and learn that things can be funny and that everything isn't against you!nickdastick

Robots might not be living, but they still have feelings. If the robot wasn't a thinking feeling being that hurts inside, why would it have tried to commit suicide in the first place? If androids dream about electric sheep, then don't they deserve rights too? You need to watch Blade Runner. Robots are people too, and are often better people than real people.

I think you're just racist against robots. Shame on you.

:P
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
But they're ads.
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Greatgone12
[QUOTE="nickdastick"]Have you heard that now two commercails from the Super Bowl have been either taken off the air or changed? The commercials in question are the Snickers one where the guys just about kiss while eating a Snickers and the other one is a GM commercial where a robot makes a mistake building a car and ends up jumping off a bridge (the robot does wake up showing that it was a dream). The Snickers one has been cancelled due to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance (I don't know if that is the name, it's a total guess) think it is homophobic and GM is changing their ad after talking to the Suicide Prevention group... Now, most people, if not all people, found the Snickers commercial funny. I don't feel like it was very homophobic because i would have done the same thing if I about kissed a dude because I'm not gay I don't dislike gays but doing something like that would warrant doing a "manly" thing to feel better about myself. Also, when did a robot become a human? A ROBOT jumps off a bridge. It's a non living thing! It's sad that our country has turned into a place where a couple of people can complain and get stuff changed when there reasons are completely ridiculous. People need to grow up and learn that things can be funny and that everything isn't against you!MrGeezer

Robots might not be living, but they still have feelings. If the robot wasn't a thinking feeling being that hurts inside, why would it have tried to commit suicide in the first place? If androids dream about electric sheep, then don't they deserve rights too? You need to watch Blade Runner. Robots are people too, and are often better people than real people.

I think you're just racist against robots. Shame on you.

:P

I may be paranoid, but I am not an android.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
that snickers one was funny.  the robot one was sad :(
but the snickers one was funny.

it sucks that they have been taken off.
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Greatgone12
But they're ads.
KiIIyou
They're dangerous ads. :o
kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts
people have problems, and only the government can control that
g-unit248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 g-unit248
Member since 2005 • 7197 Posts
taken way too far and blown way out of proportion
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]But they're ads.
Greatgone12
They're dangerous ads. :o

For sales and profit.  : D
andyxm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 andyxm
Member since 2006 • 6194 Posts
I actualy rolled on the floor laughing at the snickers one
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
people have problems, and only the government can control thatkyleali11

Now wait, did the government have anything to do with the ads being pulled, or were the ads voluntarily pulled because of negative reactions to it?
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MordusMythril
Member since 2006 • 1135 Posts
Yeah, it's a damn shame. It's just like the case with the Pledge of Allegiance. I myself don't agree with the "under god" part, but that doesn't mean I am willing to act like a complete bigot and get it changed. I just don't say the "under god" part. People need to learn how to take things "tongue in cheek" instead of pointing a finger and chanting "LAWSUIT LAWSUIT LAWSUIT." People are just so damned sensitive these days.
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mark4091
Member since 2007 • 3780 Posts
funny, canadians dont get the superbowl ads on tv but I did see the robot one 3 times while watching
aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 aRE-you-AFraid
Member since 2006 • 3234 Posts
I thought that the guys accidently kissing was funny. Homosexuality is immoral and should not be allowed.
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MordusMythril
I thought that the guys accidently kissing was funny. Homosexuality is immoral and should not be allowed.aRE-you-AFraid

Immoral? How so? My two gay friends are some of the biggest moral endorsing people I know.
aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aRE-you-AFraid
[QUOTE="aRE-you-AFraid"]I thought that the guys accidently kissing was funny. Homosexuality is immoral and should not be allowed.MordusMythril

Immoral? How so? My two gay friends are some of the biggest moral endorsing people I know.

By Christianity's standards.
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MordusMythril
[QUOTE="MordusMythril"][QUOTE="aRE-you-AFraid"]I thought that the guys accidently kissing was funny. Homosexuality is immoral and should not be allowed.aRE-you-AFraid

Oh, I thought you meant that you thought that it was immoral.
aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aRE-you-AFraid
[QUOTE="aRE-you-AFraid"][QUOTE="MordusMythril"][QUOTE="aRE-you-AFraid"]I thought that the guys accidently kissing was funny. Homosexuality is immoral and should not be allowed.MordusMythril

I think it is, by both Christianity and myself.
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MordusMythril
[QUOTE="MordusMythril"][QUOTE="aRE-you-AFraid"][QUOTE="MordusMythril"][QUOTE="aRE-you-AFraid"]I thought that the guys accidently kissing was funny. Homosexuality is immoral and should not be allowed.aRE-you-AFraid

I think it is, by both Christianity and myself.

Oh, ok, nevermind then.
pyroistheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 pyroistheone
Member since 2003 • 537 Posts

The GM one was great. One of the very few good Super Bowl ads this year

The Snickers one, was kind of creepy, and not all that funny, but I seem to be in the minority on that one. However, I don't think it required being taken off the air...

Avatar image for Kratos_Aurion56
Kratos_Aurion56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kratos_Aurion56
Member since 2005 • 6050 Posts
The snickers ad made me go :lol:
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MordusMythril
The snickers ad made me go :lol:Kratos_Aurion56

This probably doesn't have to do with anything, but your sig is pretty ****ing hot.
Kratos_Aurion56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kratos_Aurion56
[QUOTE="Kratos_Aurion56"]The snickers ad made me go :lol:MordusMythril

This probably doesn't have to do with anything, but your sig is pretty ****ing hot.

You know those are guys right?...both of them.
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MordusMythril
[QUOTE="MordusMythril"][QUOTE="Kratos_Aurion56"]The snickers ad made me go :lol:Kratos_Aurion56

Yeah. I've played KH and KH2.
Avatar image for deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
Member since 2002 • 9782 Posts

Oh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. These are major corporations we're talking about. They're not concerned with being moral compasses so much as they're concerned with market share. If I were on the board of one of these companies I might vote to pull the ads myself if I thought their continuous play would be a poor business decision.

Besides, the press they receive from canceling those ads alone might be worth the trouble. On the one hand you'll have the positive press for pulling an add that some found offensive. On the other hand you'll have people rushing to the Internet to download your ad to see what all of the fuss is about. Seems like a win win.

Master_Greedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Master_Greedo
Member since 2004 • 593 Posts
It's America's philosophy: Be politically correct or be attacked/sued/defamed.
Kratos_Aurion56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kratos_Aurion56
[QUOTE="Kratos_Aurion56"][QUOTE="MordusMythril"][QUOTE="Kratos_Aurion56"]The snickers ad made me go :lol:MordusMythril

Yay! I luv my sig too:) although a few KH fans have been begging me to change it 'cause they don't wanna see Riku and Sora making out:P I'll probably change it to this [spoiler]  [/spoiler] because I'm nice:P
MordusMythril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MordusMythril
[QUOTE="MordusMythril"][QUOTE="Kratos_Aurion56"][QUOTE="MordusMythril"][QUOTE="Kratos_Aurion56"]The snickers ad made me go :lol:Kratos_Aurion56

Yay! I luv my sig too:) although a few KH fans have been begging me to change it 'cause they don't wanna see Riku and Sora making out:P I'll probably change it to this [spoiler]  [/spoiler] because I'm nice:P

Keep it to what it is right now, your last one was pretty cool, but this one is awesome.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

taken way too far and blown way out of proportion g-unit248

Exactly! They are just commercials and they are meant to push a product and be funny while doing it. Some people's kids!

Sir_Marwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sir_Marwin
Member since 2006 • 9734 Posts
Yeah, it's a damn shame. It's just like the case with the Pledge of Allegiance. I myself don't agree with the "under god" part, but that doesn't mean I am willing to act like a complete bigot and get it changed. I just don't say the "under god" part. People need to learn how to take things "tongue in cheek" instead of pointing a finger and chanting "LAWSUIT LAWSUIT LAWSUIT." People are just so damned sensitive these days.
MordusMythril

Now the fact that in my school we are pretty much forced to do the Pledge.... and as a foreigner with diplomatic immunity I do not do it....I stand up for respect though
htotheo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 htotheo
Member since 2005 • 2759 Posts
a prime example of political correctness gone to far. the funny thing with this is that the freedom of speech in America is slowly dwindling away with the monotny of politicaly correct terms.
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
I thought that the guys accidently kissing was funny. Homosexuality is immoral and should not be allowed.aRE-you-AFraid
This really doesn't make any sence, homosexuality is genetically based, so saying it shouldn't be allowed is basically the equivalent of saying people shouldn't allowed to be white.
Kratos_Aurion56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kratos_Aurion56

:evil:Meanie!!!
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
MordusMythril
I don't agree with most of the pledge. I like original stuff. the original pledge is here.
Abdullahcoolyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Abdullahcoolyo
Member since 2004 • 1967 Posts
I have a bad feeling about this..
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
In Europe we have half naked women promoting soap by rubbing it all over their bodies. ;) Don't ask.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ConManWithGun
Member since 2005 • 6272 Posts
that snickers one was funny.  the robot one was sad :(
but the snickers one was funny.

it sucks that they have been taken off.
helium_flash
yea I enjoyed the snickers one, and my gf seemed to enjoy as well..................... :cry: if I had I girlfriend she would have enjoyed it
Narcadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Narcadox
Member since 2006 • 864 Posts
Another example of political correctness gone mad :lol:
HupHupOranje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HupHupOranje
Member since 2006 • 1450 Posts
People need to lighten-the-****-up.
DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#44 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
its not my country:roll: WOOHOO!
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
when you're a major corporation or public figure you are pretty much forced to be PC due to high pressure groups like this.

Snickers and GM have the freedom to put ads like this out but as a national corporation it's stupid for them to anger customers.  They're better off putting their tail between their legs and not risking pissing off millions of customers.  If it would of been a commercial for a specialty product geared towards straight men they can risk pissing off groups outside of their target demographic (spike TV is  a good example).

Same goes for many celebrities, and public figures like mel gibson who have to apologize for their "freedom of speech" faux paus and blame alcohol for their actions.  Private citizens don't need to do that, if I get picked up drunk as hell asking if the officer's a cracker it's not gonna jeprodize my career much (if at all).
blazinpapi8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 blazinpapi8888
Member since 2004 • 291 Posts
Oh please, if the snickers commercial was about a black man and a white girl kissing and somehow it was implied that it was wrong then you guys and alot of other people would be all over it. I personaly thought the commercial was funny but I could see how people found it offensive because the commercial implies that being gay or kissing a man makes you less manly. I wouldnt mide the commercial but there was an offical site that had videos of football players watching the commercial and being grossed out by it so obvously the company knew that the commercial was "gross" or offensive.