What high school archetype were you back in the day?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What high school archetype were you back in the day? (24 votes)

Populars 0%
Jocks 0%
Floaters 25%
Good-ats 4%
Fine arts kids 4%
The brains 0%
Normals 8%
Stoner 4%
Emo/goth 17%
Anime/manga fan 13%
Loner 25%

Lol, taken from https://www.metroparent.com/daily/parenting/tweens-teens/categories-of-high-school-cliques-identified/

Which one are you, OT? I think the Floater sums me up well. Somehow managed to make friends with all kinds of people lol.

Populars

Urban Dictionary defines this clique as the kids who have it all. They’re the “good looking” kids that always sport the latest top-of-the-line clothing and tech.

They may also be known as preps and are sometimes viewed as the “bullies” or “mean girls” by cliques lower on the list.

Jocks

These are the kids whose entire life revolves around sports. They have always taken a higher spot on the social ladder, and this study proves they’re still holding onto that spot.

They are sometimes classified by lower listed groups as being bullies, but Urban Dictionary differentiates between “athletes” and “jocks,” claiming that athletes are more likely to hang our with everyone, despite their status on the team.

Floaters

Floaters are the kids that don’t really have one specific group of kids they hang out with — you may have referred to them as “drifters” or “clique jumpers” in the past.

Urban Dictionary says these kids are generally shy but are also polite and friendly. They tend to have a lot of friends and get along with most everyone, which is why they’ve historically scored high on the list.

Good-ats

You may have known this clique as the overachievers or maybe even the teachers’ pets. They’re the kids that are good at just about everything and generally participate in and excel at a multitude of extracurricular activities or volunteer work.

Generally, these participants in the study exceled at well-roundedness, which lands them among the more popular cliques.

‘Fine arts’ kids

According to the study, this group of kids made a leap up the list due in part to high levels of extracurricular engagement.

They may use color, art, piercings and other body modifications to express themselves and tend to have a more creative appearance. You may know them as “indie” or “hipster.”

The brains

These are the “smart kids,” “nerds,” “brainiacs.” The ones that excel in their schoolwork and consistently pull good grades.

The study found that this group exhibited high levels of academic anxiety and were “less mentally healthy” due to fear of upsetting their parents.

Historically, they’ve fallen in the middle of the pack and continue to hold onto their spot.

Normals

These are the kids that are unknown. They might feel “invisible” and don’t really fall into any other clique, so they embrace one another and fall smack dab in the middle of the pack.

Stoners

Burnouts. Potheads. Druggies. The kids who smoke weed or do drugs fall into this category.

Research notes that because these kids can score drugs and bring them to parties frequented by higher cliques, they’ve always fallen toward the top of the middle in terms of popularity, but lost a little of their footing due to anti-drug and smoking campaigns.

Urban Dictionary notes that these kids are generally pretty cool, laid-back and get along with most everyone.

Emo/goths

You know those kids that wear all black, dye their hair dark, sport the black nail polish and see the beauty in darkness? Those are the kids in this clique.

These kids focus on counter-culture behaviors and are generally quiet and somewhat withdrawn.

Anime/manga fans

This is the newest peer group found by the study and is basically a modern twist on the classic “computer geek” crowd. They embrace Japanese pop culture, including animated series, films, graphic novels and other artwork and may spend their time online experiencing and sharing their passion.

Loners

In this group are the kids that don’t really have friends or who are content being alone.

The study found that other cliques tend to be standoffish around them out of fear these kids may be dangerous, which it claims is “new and unique” to today’s youth due to the prevalence of active school shootings — though not all loners are at risk of becoming violent.

• 
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36461 Posts

I used to hang out a lot with stoners. Chill mindset and very artsy people.

And honestly, most have outgrown the habbit succesfully.

I've always seen drinking habbits result in far more problematic behaviour or addictions.

So many people I knew in my teenage years were taken to the hospital and some even died while drinking and driving.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 R4gn4r0k

Anime/manga fans

"This is the newest peer group found by the study and is basically a modern twist on the classic “computer geek” crowd. They embrace Japanese pop culture, including animated series, films, graphic novels and other artwork and may spend their time online experiencing and sharing their passion."

Or

"They embrace Japanese pop culture in video games and may spend their time online experiencing and sharing their passion"

That's you man :D

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 29971 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Anime/manga fans

"This is the newest peer group found by the study and is basically a modern twist on the classic “computer geek” crowd. They embrace Japanese pop culture, including animated series, films, graphic novels and other artwork and may spend their time online experiencing and sharing their passion."

Or

"They embrace Japanese pop culture in video games and may spend their time online experiencing and sharing their passion"

That's you man :D

Lol, nah man, I'm a Floater. Master of disguise! But I see your point 😆

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49297 Posts

Was cool with everyone but didn't really hang out with anyone. I always thought of myself as "diplomat" but floater works equally well.

I was in band, on the football team. Was a good student and bad student at the same time. Stoner, but didn't drink at all.

@R4gn4r0k said:

I used to hang out a lot with stoners. Chill mindset and very artsy people.

And honestly, most have outgrown the habbit succesfully.

I've always seen drinking habbits result in far more problematic behaviour or addictions.

So many people I knew in my teenage years were taken to the hospital and some even died while drinking and driving.

Yeah I am happy I didn't drink in high school. Seeing as how I became a drunk for a while in my 20's, that was probably for the best haha

Alcohol is by far the greater evil here, especially for young folks. Wish it was treated that way tbh.

And yeah, the "stoner" crowd in high school was a good one. Even then we recognized school culture as the bullshit it was and realized it was just a few years we had to endure, not something that would dictate the rest of our lives.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah I am happy I didn't drink in high school. Seeing as how I became a drunk for a while in my 20's, that was probably for the best haha

Alcohol is by far the greater evil here, especially for young folks. Wish it was treated that way tbh.

And yeah, the "stoner" crowd in high school was a good one. Even then we recognized school culture as the bullshit it was and realized it was just a few years we had to endure, not something that would dictate the rest of our lives.

Oh yeah man, I was such a nerd when I was 16 years old, I started drinking way later.

I did drink and party a lot in my 20s, but I never saw it as problematic:

• I only drunk beer and spirits when partying, and I didn't party that much :p
  • I never drunk alcohol by myself, always in company

yeah I really like the stoner way of thinking. They don't just 'accept' everything that's out there, but they don't aggresively retaliate either, they just like to think about things. They live in their own head.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10411 Posts

I started as normal, then turned into a loner and ultimately became a hybrid of those two. Didn't hang out with anyone outside school.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45569 Posts

Back in my High School (Middle School) days, I was mostly a Nerd if we can say that. I didn't really care about making friends back then so I guess you can call me a loner and I only had like 3/4 friends I'll associate with and despite that, I did talk to multiple girls but mostly the nerdy girls and one of those nerdy girls became my wife.

Wish the OP would include "Nerd" but that's fine, I'll just go with Anime/manga fan instead as its closer to nerd type.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I never encounter a group of Goths despite I do admire their black clothing and that wasn't a thing back then until much later it became a group thing when I left high school.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@davillain-: Lol, I think you missed 'the brains', that includes the nerds.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 5359 Posts

Part of the brainer group since it was an advanced academic path, but the title floater better fits. Was more of an everyman, was cool w/ everyone.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6247 Posts

I was an artsy stoner punk.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45569 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

That's not what I meant and not all nerds are smart lol.

Edit: To be honest, the term 'brains' wasn't a thing back in my days, just title nerds, but then again, it does depends where you live.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic

@davillain- said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

That's not what I meant and not all nerds are smart lol.

Edit: To be honest, the term 'brains' wasn't a thing back in my days, just title nerds, but then again, it does depends where you live.

Maybe the word you're looking for is geek?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6895 Posts

Stoner/Loner with a touch of goth,hippie and grunge no black make up or nail polish just black clothing with a NIN or Manson shirt and sometimes a Grateful Dead one with a wool sweater LSD is a helluva drug lol.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 13094 Posts

A floater.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1344 Posts

Early teens I was a comic collecting, Dungeons & Dragons playing dork that turned into a comic collecting, Dungeons & dragons playing stoner at about 16.

Stoners are the best of people. I still hang out with my high school crowd from the early 90's. Some have stopped burning and some haven't. We all still hang and talk shit and laugh at each other like nothing has ever changed. We just have jobs, families and more money to party with now.

Avatar image for ghost_of_phobos
Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghost_of_Phobos
Member since 2020 • 1610 Posts

I think floater might be it, a floater stoner goth. I mean I liked to get high, dressed black 99% of the days but one day you could find me playing basket, other with the nerds playing Uno and the next flirting with a popular girl. And kinda remained the same growing up, I like meeting people of all kinds while remaining me.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 36963 Posts

i guess good at? but i wouldn't consider myself a teacher's pet. i excelled at school work and athletics simultaneously and was probably the highest achieving "student athlete" in my class in terms of athletic achievement mixed with good grades. those with a higher class rank were definitely in the non-athlete category for the most part :)

most of my friends were a mix along that spectrum as well, friends from sports who i also shared honors/ap classes with through the years. i don't consider myself part of the "popular" clique though was friends or friendly with people from multiple different groups.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7296 Posts

Floater

Generally spending time with the various ne'er-do-well crowds. Stoner/emo/goth and then a few friends who were 'normal'.

Got decent grades tho. Dressed normal for the most part.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 44275 Posts

‘Fine arts’ kid

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 8860 Posts

Skater in Middle School to Loner in High School

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49297 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

‘Fine arts’ kid

I don't know why but I just imagine you making heavy use of air quotes when saying this hahahaha

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 627 Posts

More of a skater all through my school years. Was into emo music a lot but didn’t dress scene, just lots of black shirts and jeans.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic

Lot more skaters than I expected lol.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20613 Posts

I was cool with everyone so I guess I was a floater.

I don't like being part of a clique.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

I was a goth/metalhead. I wore mostly black stuff, dyed my hair black, wore eyeliner and listened to Marilyn Manson and Cradle of Filth.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2304 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I'd say I fall into the loner category. Thing is, this list is accurate for the US, and doesn't apply fully in most other parts of the world. I was not dangerous, nor anyone feared me. I got bullied a lot.