What happened to TLC? (poll) EDIT: Not the band

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by edgewalker16 (2286 posts) -

I remember watching some of the shows between 2001-2005. They weren't too bad. Trading Spaces, Junkyard Wars, etc.

Here's a list of the gems you can see, now:

Toddlers and Tiaras

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

19 and Counting

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Breaking Amish

Say Yes to the Dress

Brides of Beverly Hills

Extreme Couponing

Hoarding: Buried Alive

I think the ONLY show I see on this list that has survived from its early days is What Not To Wear. Hardly an accomplishment amongst all this other BS. It's actually depressing to think that there are people who find this entertaining. Worst of all, perhaps, is that kids watch this and then think it's the societal norm. I find myself flipping through channels, staying on TLC for about a minute JUST to see what crazy !@#$ is being shown, rolling my eyes in disgust, then, by the absolute grace of god--realizing that Law & Order is on. XD

Do you find this channel entertaining/fun to watch? What are your opinions on it--I'm interested in finding out what, exactly, is appealing and who it appeals to.

#2 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
They decided to go after women, nothing inherently wrong with that, just that they didn't move their old programs (that I enjoyed a lot) to a channel that comes with basic cable. (It's pretty much all on Science Channel now, which if I could subscribe to just that and a handful of other stations I'd be a happy camper)
#3 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
I've watched the gypsy wedding show (they're f*cking crazy but I guess that's the point. I find gypsies interesting and strange) and the couponing show, because I coupon, and I refuse to watch it any longer because they promote greed and fraud. TLC is a gongshow for money and that's it.
#4 Posted by WiiRocks66 (3488 posts) -

Breaking Amish was good for the first few episodes, then turned into overly-dramatized crap. Hoarding is good when nothing else is on, but a rip off of Hoarders on A&E, a much better network. And I like Long Island Medium, even though it's fake.

#5 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

at first I thought this thread was going about the band, not the channel.
I've actually haven't seen any of the shows in that channel.

It's actually depressing to think that there are people who find this entertaining.edgewalker16

Yeah, I blame these people for ruining the History Channel and the Discovery Channel.

#7 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

I don't mind The gypsy show because their insane and I don't really mind say yes to the dress for some reason :P

Everything else seems like total garbage :lol:

#8 Posted by fl4tlined (4134 posts) -
Even the other crap you mentioned before such as trading space and junkyard wars should not have any place on something dubbed "the learning channel"
#9 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (25057 posts) -

They went chasin' waterfalls.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
#10 Posted by Cloud_Insurance (3279 posts) -

that channel has always been balls

#11 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

They went chasin' waterfalls.

THE_DRUGGIE

good

cause, I don't want no scrubs

#12 Posted by MonsieurX (36892 posts) -
Expected this :(
#13 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

It's pandering to the lowest common denominator because that is what makes the most money. It's a shadow of its former self (and this is what would happen to PBS if it went commercial)

#14 Posted by Nuck81 (6830 posts) -
Still more quality programming than MTV
#16 Posted by Saturos3091 (14938 posts) -
junkyard wars"fl4tlined
IIRC the early seasons of that show had some actual engineering principles featured, which were interesting. I was never huge into it though. Nowadays they don't even mention anything close to that.
Avatar image for TrueAmerican007
#17 Posted by TrueAmerican007 (671 posts) -
TLC is great. Honey Boo is easily the best new show of 2012, and likely to win an emmy in 2013 for its 2nd season.
#19 Posted by metroidfood (11175 posts) -

Even the other crap you mentioned before such as trading space and junkyard wars should not have any place on something dubbed "the learning channel"fl4tlined

Yeah, the entire channel is terrible and I'd rather gouge out my eyeballs than watch any shows on it.

#20 Posted by mAArdman (1612 posts) -

#21 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

When there is so much competititon in terms of channels, they have to stand out some way. There is going to be a change in shows over time, but obviously TLC has abandoned learning for shock value.

#22 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

[QUOTE="edgewalker16"]It's actually depressing to think that there are people who find this entertaining.SirWander

Yeah, I blame these people for ruining the History Channel and the Discovery Channel.

And AMC.

Met the person in charge of A&Es programming at a college presentation. What struck me most was

SHE HAD NO SHAME FOR HER ACTIONS AND HER PEERS

She talked only about rating and not show content at all.

Also, Duck Dynasty was/is her proud baby.

#23 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="edgewalker16"]It's actually depressing to think that there are people who find this entertaining.dercoo

And AMC.

Met the person in charge of AMCs programming at a college presentation. What struck me most was

I'm pretty sure you're getting AMC confused with A&E.

#24 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="edgewalker16"]It's actually depressing to think that there are people who find this entertaining.dercoo

And AMC.

Met the person in charge of AMCs programming at a college presentation. What struck me most was

I've never actually watched the show but I'm from the town that the duck dynasty people live in. They're good people. A little old fashioned, but generally good. How does the show make them look?

#25 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162194 posts) -
No clue but why not say the entire title rather than say not the band.
#26 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

Guybrush_3

And AMC.

I've never actually watched the show but I'm from the town that the duck dynasty people live in. They're good people. A little old fashioned, but generally good. How does the show make them look?

It actually makes them seem quite nice :P Whenever I watch it I really don't know why but I end up getting sucked into it because the things they do are silly xD
#27 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162194 posts) -

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

And AMC.

Not to burst your bubble but it's all about ratings and not content.....no matter the station.
#28 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

CommanderShiro

And AMC.

I'm pretty sure you're getting AMC confused with A&E.

Your Right

A&E:p

#29 Posted by zeldaluff (3387 posts) -

Yes, I do find TLC entertaining to watch. Partially because I love wedding shows, and TLC basically has two days dedicated to it. I find it fascinating to see how other people live when I find it inconcievable that anyone could ever live the way they do. However, In no way do I think TLC is depicting the societal norm.

Honestly, the more baffled I am, the more interested. I don't watch the shows like Toddlers and Tiaras though, that's going too far.

(And Discovery now has Amish Mafia, so I think that cancels out Breaking Amish.)

dercoo

As it should be. Duck Dynasty is a great show.

#30 Posted by Blue-Sky (10379 posts) -

What to know what happened? It was privatized.

Turns out, educational content doesn't rake in money.