What Happened To 2D Animated Movies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

I had a quick think recently and realized that there's barely any 2D animation getting released into the cinema these days. There's more than enough 3D animations, and I got nothing against them, but what happened to the good old 2D animated films? Did Disney destroy the genre they once created with all them half hearted straight to video sequels?

Iostlemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Iostlemon
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

Enchanted and Princess and the Frog.

Apparently it doesn't make them enough money though.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#3 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts
They stayed in the past...
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Iostlemon
Yeah, people preferred tangled. I don't think I will ever understand why.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dB_9dW2SQ

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="Iostlemon"]

Serraph105

whats wrong tangled? I heard that was good movie. 

well the japanese still haven't 2d animated movies and it doesn't look they will die out anytime soon. plus there isn't a lot of cg japanese movies either from what I'm seeing.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

whats wrong tangled? I heard that was good movie. 

TheShadowLord07

tangled is an average movie IMO, they try to appeal to both boys and girls hence the title and fail to fully deliver,the music is weak compared to enchanted. but thumbs up on the actor who did the vocals, i cant believe that it was Zack Levi from chuck :P

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dB_9dW2SQ

sammyjenkis898

Speaking of Ghibli films, From Up on Poppy Hill is coming out on the third of September; I'm looking forward to seeing it. 

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

2D is gone, when Disney laid off all their 2d artists, that was it. A end to an era. I watch Arriety the other day and it was just a gorgeous movie. To bad we are computer generating everything

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Animated movies are for kids. Kids is where the money is at. I mean sure a lot of adults who grew up on 2d animation still love it but the bottom line is they arent the biggest source of income. The most money to be made is on the kids who want their parents to take them to see the movie, buy the movie when it comes out on disc/on demand, buy the toys, buy the cheap little toys that come out for the movie, buy the video games based on the movie, buy the plush dolls and so on. And kids today treat 3d animated movies like adults did 2d back in their day. So most kids dont want 2d because they are used to 3d animated movies.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sune_Gem

Animated movies are for kids. Kids is where the money is at. I mean sure a lot of adults who grew up on 2d animation still love it but the bottom line is they arent the biggest source of income. The most money to be made is on the kids who want their parents to take them to see the movie, buy the movie when it comes out on disc/on demand, buy the toys, buy the cheap little toys that come out for the movie, buy the video games based on the movie, buy the plush dolls and so on. And kids today treat 3d animated movies like adults did 2d back in their day. So most kids dont want 2d because they are used to 3d animated movies.

Gargus

It's a shame that it has to be like that. There's nothing inferior about a 2D animated movie in comparison to a 3D one. They used to make 3D ones alongside 2D ones all the time. So it can't be that technology is advancing and has left 2D irrelevant. Some of the kids I know still watch old 2D movies today, so the market can't be completely dead.

I mean just look at the Lion King intro. 2D animations can easily look just as stunning as any 3D movie in their own special way. It's not going to look better than Avatar (if by better you think realisitic looking) or anything, but it's got it's own awe inspiring charm to it.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

sune_Gem

It's a shame that it has to be like that. There's nothing inferior about a 2D animated movie in comparison to a 3D one. They used to make 3D ones alongside 2D ones all the time. So it can't be that technology is advancing and has left 2D irrelevant. Some of the kids I know still watch old 2D movies today, so the market can't be completely dead.

I mean just look at the Lion King intro. 2D animations can easily look just as stunning as any 3D movie in their own special way. It's not going to look better than Avatar (if by better you think realisitic looking) or anything, but it's got it's own awe inspiring charm to it.

Oh its not dead, but Im talking mainstream here and mainstream is all about money.

I prefer hand drawn 2d art in animation, but when todays kids grow up Im sure the majority of them will always like 3d animation vs whatever is out when they are grown up. But thats the way things go, every generation tends to prefer things the way they are when they grow up.

I liked the hand drawn feeling of 2d. But I can also admit that 3d animated stuff like monsters university have amazing detail and colors not possible using hand drawn 2d methods. Pixar does amazing beautiful work with their stuff. My prefernce is 2d but I can appreciate what computer generated 3d art can bring to the table.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I miss 2D movies.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Anme movies are still pretty much 2D

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Pixar.

Pixar had a long series of very successful films that championed 3D animation.

At the same time, 2D was hitting a low point in creative ideas as the Disney Renaissance end. 

This is were garbage like Home on the Range got released & bombed.

Studio excecs took this as 2D box office dieing, so switch over to funding 3D films. 

Once Disney abandoned 2D, every US film animation studio followed, which just left TV(giving 2D a TV only reputation)

Now, when 2D actually makes it to theater, it has to fight the TV movie reputation.(AKA, they won't make Pixar of Dreamworks numbers, though they are like 1/3 the cost)

Intrestingly enough, one of the last execs pushing for 2D now is the former head of Pixar, now current head of all Disney animation.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sune_Gem

Pixar.

Pixar had a long series of very successful films that championed 3D animation.

At the same time, 2D was hitting a low point in creative ideas as the Disney Renaissance end. 

This is were garbage like Home on the Range got released & bombed.

Studio excecs took this as 2D box office dieing, so switch over to funding 3D films. 

Once Disney abandoned 2D, every US film animation studio followed, which just left TV(giving 2D a TV only reputation)

Now, when 2D actually makes it to theater, it has to fight the TV movie reputation.(AKA, they won't make Pixar of Dreamworks numbers, though they are like 1/3 the cost)

Intrestingly enough, one of the last execs pushing for 2D now is the former head of Pixar, now current head of all Disney animation.

dercoo

Curse you Pixar and your incredibly good films!

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

I think it's hit the point where 3D animated movies are cheaper and easier to make than traditional animated films.  It's probably one of the reasons Disney got rid of their traditional animation division.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I think it's hit the point where 3D animated movies are cheaper and easier to make than traditional animated films.  It's probably one of the reasons Disney got rid of their traditional animation division.

Hallenbeck77

Yup. Hand-drawn art is way more expensive and requires more manpower than computer animation.

Granted we could still get 3D movies that look like "2D" movies after seeing Paperman.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
At least most animated television shows are 2D (of those that I am aware of).
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dercoo

Hallenbeck77

Actually no,

2D is still cheaper (significantly so)

Compare Princess & the Frog's Budget: 105 million

Tangled: 260 million

Same studio, 155 million budget difference (stats from wiki)

And to add salt to the wound,

The academy award winning Spirited Away: 1.5 billion (yen), 19 million dollars

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

dercoo

Actually no,

2D is still cheaper (significantly so)

Compare Princess & the Frog's Budget: 105 million

Tangled: 260 million

Same studio, 155 million budget difference (stats from wiki)

And to add salt to the wound,

The academy award winning Spirited Away: 1.5 billion (yen), 19 million dollars

It's kind of sad how limited people are for comparison now. There's just so few recent 2D films out.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

Hallenbeck77

the rendering that takes the most of the budget, i think when they go for the paperman route, it would be cheaper

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

You don't HAVE to watch animated movies in 3D. I find that if it is a good movie (good plot, characters, etc) it doesn't matter if it's 2D or 3D. Case in point: I saw Despicable Me 2 this past weekend. I enjoyed it immensely - in 2D.

I never bother with 3D (besides, I usually get a serious headache when I watch 3D). There's a lot of films out there that are BAD 3D movies. They should have spent the money on the plot instead of 3D!

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

You don't HAVE to watch animated movies in 3D. I find that if it is a good movie (good plot, characters, etc) it doesn't matter if it's 2D or 3D. Case in point: I saw Despicable Me 2 this past weekend. I enjoyed it immensely - in 2D.

I never bother with 3D (besides, I usually get a serious headache when I watch 3D). There's a lot of films out there that are BAD 3D movies. They should have spent the money on the plot instead of 3D!

Detroit222
I do not think this is what the OP meant by 2D/3D.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sune_Gem

Detroit222

You got the wrong kind of 3D. I'm talking about films that are done on paper (figuratively speaking) over ones rendered in 3D.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

There's lots of 2D Superhero films. DC has made like 10 in the past 5 years.

Oh in theaters. Yeah you're right.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
How many 2d TV shows are there compared to 3d?
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#28 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

How many 2d TV shows are there compared to 3d?LOXO7
A lot. I can only think of a few like Green Lantern TAS, Code Lyoko, Spiderman The New Animated Series, and Jimmy Neutron for 3D. And two of those those are pretty obscure. Whereas I can think of Archer, Bob's Burgers, Young Justice, Futurama, Metalocalypse, Regular Show, Adventure Time, etc. for 2D stuff.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

The Princess and the Frog was Disney's big move back into 2D and like someone else said it apparently didn't make them enough money

but IDK why it is one of my Disney top 3.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Toy Story is what happened.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#31 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
[QUOTE="Iostlemon"]

Serraph105

Because the sad truth is that people preffer to see a movie about a blonde in trouble than one about a strong, independent black woman saving the day.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dercoo

The Princess and the Frog was Disney's big move back into 2D and like someone else said it apparently didn't make them enough money

but IDK why it is one of my Disney top 3.

MissLibrarian

The sad thing is, it did make a gross profit (signighantly so by a  2.5x ratio)

However, Disney seemed more concered on maxumising gross over maximising return on investment.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#33 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I was hoping that, with John Lasseter taking over the creative aspects of the Walt Disney Animation Studios, they would increase the investments on 2-D movies. However, even if that seemed to be the case at first, with Princess and the Frog then Winnie The Pooh, they have dropped that kind of animation once more.

So it's up to Studio Ghibli to carry that torch.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="Iostlemon"]

lightleggy

Because the sad truth is that people preffer to see a movie about a blonde in trouble than one about a strong, independent black woman saving the day.

I thought she became a frog? :?

I haven't seen the film fully to know. :lol:

Come to think of it, that may have been a sequel or such that I caught on TV.