What do you think the psychology behind a workaholic is?

#1 Edited by warmblur (2503 posts) -

I always wonder this do you think it's a form of a masochist? or something else like a passion for work or trying to fill a empty void in their life?

#2 Posted by tohot240 (36 posts) -

I'm a workaholic and also I was an alcoholic for a few months, but once I quit drinking except for maybe twice a month I finally achieved one of my dreams of becoming a workaholic.

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16063 posts) -

I think it was J.D. Rockerfeller who, when asked "how much is enough?" replied "One more dollar".

#4 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1590 posts) -

Last year, I worked 60 days straight at one point. It's because I have no one, nothing going on in my life. I kind of wanna do it again, but the business is now closed on Sundays.

#5 Posted by plageus900 (2703 posts) -

If you love your job, it really isn't 'work'.

My wife and I have the same job and we've turned it into a lifestyle. We're both salaried managers and we often use our 'off-time' to work on projects that we don't have time for during working hours.

#6 Posted by comp_atkins (35726 posts) -

i guess it depends on your motivations...

if you're passionate about your work and enjoy committing large amounts of time to it, is that really considered a "workaholic"

i see it as more of something that has become harmful to your life in some way. it is damaging your heath or personal relationships ( time with family ) where it would cross over into the "workaholic" category.

as far as motivations? greed? feelings of need to "keep up with the jones?" using work to avoid other problems in one's life they'd rather avoid? dunno

#7 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -

It's called being a proletarian in a capitalist society.

#9 Posted by plageus900 (2703 posts) -

@theone86: One could argue that the bourgeoisie are workaholics. It takes hard work to keep those little prole shits in line.

Anyway, I'm more worried about those who refuse to work.

#10 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44043 posts) -

Why I am a workaholic:

• I enjoy what I do
  • I enjoy who I work with
  • I like the environment I work in
  • I take satisfaction in earning money, investing it, and watching my money make more money
  • I feel like sometimes I am the only capable person at my job, so I feel obligated to do it.
  • A degree of loyalty
  • Anything worth doing is doing well, and sometimes "doing well" means working a lot
  • and, lastly but perhaps most significantly, I really don't have a whole lot going on in my personal life to be proud of. No social life, overweight, depression and anxiety...I look forward to going to work because it's a reprieve from my personal life.
#11 Posted by Cayde (152 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Why I am a workaholic:

• I enjoy what I do
  • I enjoy who I work with
  • I like the environment I work in
  • I take satisfaction in earning money, investing it, and watching my money make more money
  • I feel like sometimes I am the only capable person at my job, so I feel obligated to do it.
  • A degree of loyalty
  • Anything worth doing is doing well, and sometimes "doing well" means working a lot
  • and, lastly but perhaps most significantly, I really don't have a whole lot going on in my personal life to be proud of. No social life, overweight, depression and anxiety...I look forward to going to work because it's a reprieve from my personal life.

Can't say more xD

#12 Posted by theone86 (22417 posts) -
@plageus900 said:

@theone86: One could argue that the bourgeoisie are workaholics. It takes hard work to keep those little prole shits in line.

File under: why I wouldn't shed one tear if people like you ever became political prisoners. Anyway, the difference is that the bourgeoisie can choose to work less at any point in time, proletarians can't. I wouldn't expect someone who already has a slavemaster mentality to appreciate that.

#13 Posted by plageus900 (2703 posts) -

@theone86: Actually there are plenty of proletarians who choose not to work at all.

Just take a trip to Mississippi and witness all those god-fearin' Americans working hard.....not.

#14 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44043 posts) -

@theone86 said:
@plageus900 said:

File under: why I wouldn't shed one tear if people like you ever became political prisoners. Anyway, the difference is that the bourgeoisie can choose to work less at any point in time, proletarians can't. I wouldn't expect someone who already has a slavemaster mentality to appreciate that.

Seriously man, are you for real?