What do you think of the new Iphone 8 and X?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Seems to me like a shady marketing tech naming them so. IMO the 8 is really the 7S because it didn't change much with the X being the real 8 (tho with a last gen chip). Apple just changed the name so they could charge a premium for both.

What do you think? Will you get one of either? I might go for the X because I'm stupid when it comes to having the latest stuff. Currently using a Galaxy S7 Edge...

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

They copied Microsoft and skipped 9.

Bold Move.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I don't use Apple products.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

This is why I think Apple fans are sheep:

They settle for less product, pay more money, and thank Apple for the opportunity to do so. Ever since Jobs died, Apple hasn't created a single revolutionary product. Hell, they've just been playing catch up for that entire time.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I'm getting my 8 Plus tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@foxhound_fox: To be honest, on paper it looks that way but iPhone generally perform better than the Galaxy in my experience. I only got the S7 Edge over the iPhone 7 is because of the head jack and limited storage. Also fast charging and aesthetics.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

That price point is way too much--and that's just $1000 to start. Never mind the amount you're gonna pay for accessories, headphones, etc.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I'll probably keep using my Galaxy S4. No offense to Apple or anything, they put out good products, but I'm more of an Android fan overall. More than that though I have become supremely tired of being part of the argument people have over who's tech is better. I've really come to see it as a dumb argument to have. If you like your Apple product that's cool with me, I like my Google product and hopefully that's cool with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

Apple is almost as shameless as a high end fashion brand.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I think they're ridiculously overrated and overpriced, but Apple has always been a status symbol. You're not really paying for the tech... I do like the look of the X but I'll never in my life ever buy an iPhone. What thing I love about Android phones are all the different kinds of makes you can get. With iPhones, it's pretty much whatever comes out that year. Plus, it's stupid as hell how some people get a new iPhone EVERY year! When will it be good enough for these people?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Don't care.

overrated, overpriced, and you're locked to an echo system that deliberately slows down your phone for the next iteration.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts
@JustPlainLucas said:

I think they're ridiculously overrated and overpriced, but Apple has always been a status symbol. You're not really paying for the tech... I do like the look of the X but I'll never in my life ever buy an iPhone. What thing I love about Android phones are all the different kinds of makes you can get. With iPhones, it's pretty much whatever comes out that year. Plus, it's stupid as hell how some people get a new iPhone EVERY year! When will it be good enough for these people?

You already answered that question. Having the latest Apple product is a status symbol and people like feeling like they're on the cutting edge.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

1000 dollars for a god damn phone, millions will buy it...

...but oh no, I spend that much on a gaming PC, I'm wasting my money :D

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Happy with my 6S. I see no need to upgrade whatsoever.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Love iPhone. Million times faster than android despite only having half the RAM. iPhones are effiecent, fast and simple to use.

They just simply work and that's what I want.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I love my 8 Plus. I was in dire need of an upgrade and I'm glad I stuck with iPhone.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

That price point is way too much--and that's just $1000 to start. Never mind the amount you're gonna pay for accessories, headphones, etc.

It's funny how people rationalize it away. My coworker was debating with herself over the X this week because her family needs new phones.

Her: "It's only $1,000. That's about $50 a month."

Me: "Aren't you getting 4 of them? I think that's $200 a month."

Her: "That's only $2400 a year."

Me: "Yep, $2,400 a year."

Her: "Grooooaaan...."

bestia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bestia
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

The iPhone 8 is basically an incremental update over the iPhone 7 and other than an improved screen and being faster, little else changed. The design remains the same as the iPhone 7 and (unlike Samsung) doesn't offer a dual camera or a portrait mode. Not exactly what you would call a major improvement justifying the cost to upgrade from the previous model imo. Apple have always been doing catch-up to other leading brands.Some very valid points have been made earlier in the thread regarding Apple in a negative light which I won't go back over but one thing not mentioned was the recent bricking of phones by Apple which caused a massive outcry and clearly signified their closed market policy.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

This is why I think Apple fans are sheep:

They settle for less product, pay more money, and thank Apple for the opportunity to do so. Ever since Jobs died, Apple hasn't created a single revolutionary product. Hell, they've just been playing catch up for that entire time.

It's simple and it works. Then again if I were to buy a new iPhone today it would be iPhone SE so that might be saying something. Atm got Galaxy S8.

Why don't anyone get that it is down to which OS you like? Android or iOS.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

That's $1000 USD WITHOUT taxes, you forgot that part.

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 jimy1475
Member since 2008 • 1228 Posts

Get a Xiaomi for less price for the same specs

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@jimy1475 said:

Get a Xiaomi for less price for the same specs

Whats the appeal of high priced phones?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

It's funny how people rationalize it away. My coworker was debating with herself over the X this week because her family needs new phones.

Her: "It's only $1,000. That's about $50 a month."

Me: "Aren't you getting 4 of them? I think that's $200 a month."

Her: "That's only $2400 a year."

Me: "Yep, $2,400 a year."

Her: "Grooooaaan...."

If they got the money for it, then hey--more power to them. But then again, I'm just a broke-boy. I'm wondering if anyone is going to spend extra for the 256GB version, because the 64 gig version is just too small, I would think.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@horgen said:

It's simple and it works. Then again if I were to buy a new iPhone today it would be iPhone SE so that might be saying something. Atm got Galaxy S8.

I could understand back in the days of Android 2.0 making that argument, but Android has become just as easy to use as iOS these days, and Android platforms are offering superior technology on top of that.

Ever since Steve Jobs died, Apple hasn't released a single revolutionary product and has been playing catch up to Samsung ever since.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

@Gaming-Planet:

@Gaming-Planet said:

Don't care.

overrated, overpriced, and you're locked to an echo system that deliberately slows down your phone for the next iteration.

They do! It's no coincidence that both my iPhone 6's which have worked flawless since I got them started going bonkers shortly before the latest iPhone announcement.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@horgen said:

I could understand back in the days of Android 2.0 making that argument, but Android has become just as easy to use as iOS these days, and Android platforms are offering superior technology on top of that.

Ever since Steve Jobs died, Apple hasn't released a single revolutionary product and has been playing catch up to Samsung ever since.

I am not disagreeing with you. However instead of looking at it as a pure technology battle, it's rather down to preferences. Android or iOS. I am guessing both steal ideas from apps launched as well. Using the volume buttons on iPhone to take pictures when using the camera. Started out as an app. An iOS version later and that was implemented in OS instead.

@junglist101 said:

@Gaming-Planet:

@Gaming-Planet said:

Don't care.

They do! It's no coincidence that both my iPhone 6's which have worked flawless since I got them started going bonkers shortly before the latest iPhone announcement.

I got a iPhone 5S still working good. Anecdotal I know.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

don't really care

my phone is 4 years old and still gets the job done.I see no reason to upgrade till it stops working.I even got android 7.1 on it(through a custom rom)

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

I do not support companies with gross profit margins.

Iphones actually cost peanuts to produce.

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nygamespotter
Member since 2016 • 523 Posts

Absolute beasts in terms of performance, destroying pretty much every phone and even the Nintendo Switch. The X is a bit overpriced, but so are most Apple products. I really love the edge-to-edge design of it, and the screen real estate looks awesome. Bit skeptical about the Face ID, though, don't see how it could replace Touch ID, but we'll see. The 8 looks exactly the same as the 7, I was hoping the 8 would be the X but Apple gon' Apple.

Still beasts, though. Anyone with a 6 or lower should see a massive improvement.

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jimy1475
Member since 2008 • 1228 Posts

@nygamespotter: how about this http://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_2-8529.php

PacmanJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PacmanJones
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

Since i have an iphone 7 plus, i don't find that there is any use to getting the iphone 8 or X. There is just not enough features to justify the huge price on the X and the 8 is practically the same thing as the Iphone 7 plus. As to Apple users being sheeple, i would like to state that the reason i prefer Iphone to any other is due to IOS. Android phones slow down in time, and I've realized that apple products usually keep the performance for the life of the device. They are both amazing phones, it's just what you prefer. It's basically like choosing between different Linux versions and just comes down to preference with the use of the phone.