What do you shave with?

• 101 results
Posted by korvus (10713 posts) 3 years, 5 months ago

Poll: What do you shave with? (45 votes)

Disposable razor 13%
Cartridge razor 20%
Double edge safety razor 20%
Straight razor 2%
I don't shave, I groom. it's beard trimmers for me. 16%
Shave...trim...what are these things you speak of? My beard is free to grow however it wants. 13%
Other (please specify) 16%

Since I managed to derail a thread about beards into a conversation about shaving methods (sorry @indzman!) I decided to start my own thread)

So what type of razor do you use to shave? Also, what other things do you use? Do you grab a bar of soap, rub it on your face and get shaving or do you have 10 products for the pre-shave and another 10 for after shave? What's your routine?

I shave every day after the shower. For almost 20 years I've used cartridge razors (Mach 3 mostly, Fusion for about a year) but the results were never great, so a couple months ago I decided to switch to safety razors (got me an Edwin Jagger de89) and I couldn't be happier with my "baby bottom smooth" shave. It actually turned shaving from something of a nightmare into my personal enjoyable "me time" every morning.

I shave with the grain, then sideways (both directions) and finally against the grain for the perfect smoothness (my face couldn't stand doing it before I tried the safety razor).

I'm thinking about going all out in the pampering and get me a fancy badger fur brush, nice scented lather for shaving and a fancy aftershave as well (right now I'm still going through my old supplies of shaving gel and crappy aftershave).

Any other safety razor fans out there? (I know there's at least one more here...@AmazonTreeBoa)

#51 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@alim298: Isn't that a hair trimmer? I have one of those, but never use it =P Does It work well enough for the beard as well? You do hair and beard in one go, then? ;)

#52 Posted by pyro1245 (3270 posts) -

my beard is free to grow. It does so faster in the presence of new age jazz.

#53 Edited by thehig1 (6212 posts) -

My facial hair is so pathetic I can just shout mean things at it in the mirror and it will all fall off.

#54 Posted by solidruss (24080 posts) -

Electric for me, beard trimmer for the goatee part.

#55 Posted by alim298 (2747 posts) -

@korvus said:

@alim298: Isn't that a hair trimmer? I have one of those, but never use it =P Does It work well enough for the beard as well? You do hair and beard in one go, then? ;)

Yeah I trim my hair quite often keeping it 1 centimeter long max. I don't have curly hair or beard so the machine doesn't really experience any pressure. And yes it works well with beard as well. Every time I use it I take it apart completely and clean it of any hair left in it then lubricate it. It has served me well so far :P

#56 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@thehig1: So you verbally abuse all 3 of your hairs? =(

@alim298: Yeah, that's the problem with me, my hair is curly so using one of those isn't the most pleasant experience.

#57 Posted by thehig1 (6212 posts) -

@korvus: I use what you used to use, cartridge razors.

However my facial hair grows so slowly I normally only need to shave about once a week.

At the moment I'm trying to grow a kick ass goatee, I'm on week 4 and it looks like I have a bit of pubic hair on my face.

I'm confident it will thicken out and look better if I sticky with it

#58 Edited by korvus (10713 posts) -

@thehig1: On the bright side, once you get it to where you want it it'll take longer to need maintenance. If I don't shave for 4 days I look like I've been shipwrecked in a deserted island for 3 years...imagine the maintenance of a beard that grows at that pace...

#59 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -

I use the cheapest disposables as i can find, used to use them spensive disposable ones but for me they didnt work as well as the cheaper ones. I always do in the shower, after im done ill smear Vaseline on my face and rinse with cold water to close them pores hehe

#60 Posted by LexLas (7261 posts) -

I use a very sharp rambo knife. It works, just sharpen it to the max. And be careful. Every since i went camping, and had nothing to shave with, i used it, and never turned back.

#61 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@LexLas: Maybe I should try that with my new knife.

#62 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@KiIIyou said:

I use the cheapest disposables as i can find, used to use them expensive disposable ones but for me they didn't work as well as the cheaper ones. I always do in the shower, after im done ill smear Vaseline on my face and rinse with cold water to close them pores hehe

Ever thought of switching to a safety razor? You will save even more. I bought 100 blades for my razor for around $13. I get 3-5 shaves per blade. The upfront cost are higher due to buying a new razor (Mine was $32) that should last longer than you do as well as other things like brush, soap, mug, etc. But once you have all that, it is way cheaper in the long run. I have a soap that I have been using for 6 months now and it hardly has anything missing from it, so the soaps last a long time as well.

#63 Posted by CWEBB04z (4872 posts) -

I trim. I dont like the baby face look.

#64 Edited by ZombieKiller7 (6364 posts) -

I'm a hairy bastard

I use electric clippers (like the barber shop) and then I smooth it out with a disposable razor that I've been using for years. Yes I said years, I have a whole pack but it seems to keep shaving me just fine so I have no reason to throw it away.

Been on the same can of Barbisol forever too.

#65 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@KiIIyou said:

I use the cheapest disposables as i can find, used to use them expensive disposable ones but for me they didn't work as well as the cheaper ones. I always do in the shower, after im done ill smear Vaseline on my face and rinse with cold water to close them pores hehe

Ever thought of switching to a safety razor? You will save even more. I bought 100 blades for my razor for around $13. I get 3-5 shaves per blade. The upfront cost are higher due to buying a new razor (Mine was $32) that should last longer than you do as well as other things like brush, soap, mug, etc. But once you have all that, it is way cheaper in the long run. I have a soap that I have been using for 6 months now and it hardly has anything missing from it, so the soaps last a long time as well.

A few times yeah, was just thinking of going that way again today after this thread hehe. ooooh I do like the sound of that, Imma be adding that to my christmas list this year ;D thanking you :)

#66 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@KiIIyou said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@KiIIyou said:

A few times yeah, was just thinking of going that way again today after this thread hehe. ooooh I do like the sound of that, Imma be adding that to my christmas list this year ;D thanking you :)

Ha, good for you. Be sure to watch a few safety razor shaving videos on Youtube before you have at it with yours. Also, they tend to over exaggerate the "be really careful, no pressure or you will cut yourself" in my opinion, but still got to get the understanding of how your shaving will change. Be sure to do some research before buying. You don't want one that gives an aggressive shave for your first safety razor. The one I bought and the one TC bought are great starters. I am going high class this christmas and getting an Above the Tie stainless steel razor for $185. :P The rosegold one my girl (yes she also uses my safety razor) wants is around $90. Yes before you mention it, I do realize that her's is expensive for a razor and doesn't even come close to how expensive mine is, but sometimes you got to pamper yourself. This is me and her doing so. Also giving her my brush and getting a silver tip badger brush for me. Make sure you get a badger brush (your face will thank you for it) and not a boar brush. Sure boar brushes are cheaper, but this is one of those times where the phrase "you get what you pay for" really comes into play.

#67 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: We'll convert them all!! Mwahaha...

#68 Posted by CrimsonBrute (24982 posts) -

@korvus: Sometimes. I go though a few paper towels.

@BranKetra: It's more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKHY4OsAPc8

#69 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@crimsonbrute: That was ludicrous.

#70 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@crimsonbrute: HAH. I remember that episode.

#71 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@korvus: Glad no mod has gotten a hair up his/her arse and locked your thread. I only say that because I made a thread just like this months ago and for some reason, a mod locked it. And like this one, it was a peaceful thread with no trolling or anything. Maybe that mod is no longer a mod, who knows.

About to go take a shower and use the lime soap. :P

#72 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: I haven't had any problems with mods so far but this is only my 3rd thread ever, so if I was already getting shut down I'd be bummed =P

Also, I've been meaning to ask: where do you get your supplies? Do you go to the stores directly or do you Amazon everything? =P So far, I've been doing everything through online order but I think I'd prefer to actually walk in somewhere and take my time looking at (and smelling) some products, etc.

#73 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@korvus said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: I haven't had any problems with mods so far but this is only my 3rd thread ever, so if I was already getting shut down I'd be bummed =P

Also, I've been meaning to ask: where do you get your supplies? Do you go to the stores directly or do you Amazon everything? =P So far, I've been doing everything through online order but I think I'd prefer to actually walk in somewhere and take my time looking at (and smelling) some products, etc.

Okay I get most everything off Amazon because there is only one store in my city that deals with safety razors and it's accessories. Here are some other sites for you as well.

http://www.razorsdirect.com/page/page/637542.htm

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

http://stirlingsoap.com/index.html

http://www.royalshave.com/

http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/

http://www.ikonrazors.com/

http://www.abovethetie.com/?store_cat=1

http://www.weberrazor.com/

Hope that helps.

As for your local area, that is something you will have to look into. I had to look into it myself and that is how I found the one and only shaving specialty store in my city (Columbus, Ohio).

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
#74 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9298 posts) -

Safety Razor with a bar of soap that I lather all over my face for shaving cream. Irish Spring. Pretty fancy soap but I like to treat myself well.

#75 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Oh and I used the lime soap last night like I said. Sadly it doesn't have as much of a smell as I would like. I could barely smell it while it was on my face. Lathers just as good as the other two scents, but the scent was way too weak.

#76 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@-TheSecondSign- said:

Safety Razor with a bar of soap that I lather all over my face for shaving cream. Irish Spring. Pretty fancy soap but I like to treat myself well.

Wait wait wait. Am I to understand this correctly. You use Irish Spring (same thing I use to wash my body with) to shave with and that is you treating yourself with a fancy soap? MHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Then you would be in heaven and feel like a millionaire if you used one of the soaps I use. I recommend this one as your first venture into real shaving soaps. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837YY18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a great smell, lathers up very well and has a very awesome feeling when applied. It leaves your face feeling so refreshed like your mouth would after using mouthwash and brushing.

#77 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: Thanks for the links. How was your experience with the specialty store? Nicer than shopping online, I assume.

Also, sorry to hear that the lime soap wasn't a success.

#78 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@korvus said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: Thanks for the links. How was your experience with the specialty store? Nicer than shopping online, I assume.

Also, sorry to hear that the lime soap wasn't a success.

*Hangs head in shame* I have yet to go and I have known for a few months too, that's the sad part.

#79 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58756 posts) -

I have a Braun electric thingy. It doesn't give me as much irritation as a razor.

#80 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@korvus: Before switching to wet shaving with a safety razor, did you get razor burn and razor bumps? I did and now that I shave with a safety razor, I no longer have those issues. The post above mine is what got me asking.

#81 Posted by Articuno76 (19781 posts) -

Double-edge razor every 3-4 days. I switched from carts a few months ago to save myself on the cost of razors. I have to admit that I don't get a closer shave than I did with Gillette Fusion cartidges, but it is noticebly more even when it grows back. Used to take me ages to shave with a DE, like 40 minutes. But I've gotten it down to 15-20 now.

#82 Posted by gago-gago (12016 posts) -

Electric shaver.

#83 Posted by CrossFire245 (1082 posts) -

I use an electric razor. It's quick and gets the job done.

#84 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

To you guys that use an electric razor. What do you do when you want a close shave with no hair left on your face?

#85 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: You haven't been yet? Shame on you! =P And yeah, when I used cartridge I'd get razor burn and bumps a lot...first day with the safety razor all bumps were gone...the bloody way XD

#86 Posted by GoogleAndroid (162 posts) -

Gillette Fusion Proglide. I hate disposable razors and always get cut. It doesn't cut me, and shaves closely, and the cartridges last me about a month.

#87 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@googleandroid: Each, or per pack? How often do you shave?

#88 Posted by GoogleAndroid (162 posts) -

@korvus said:

@googleandroid: Each, or per pack? How often do you shave?

Each. Once per day shaving my face.

#89 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@googleandroid: Each day and they last you a month? You must have fine facial hair =)

#90 Posted by GoogleAndroid (162 posts) -

@korvus said:

@googleandroid: Each day and they last you a month? You must have fine facial hair =)

I do. Although it is dark and grows pretty quickly, so it looks and feels awful if I don't shave daily.

#91 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@googleandroid: I know the feeling, mine is pitch black and quite thick, so in one day I can have a fashionable beard, but if I don't shave it for 4 days you'll be tossing coins into my coke thinking I'm begging =P

#92 Edited by bobaban (10560 posts) -

I bought the Flexball Fusion razor half off recently. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes their Fusion razor, it is a notable upgrade and not some cheap gimmick like the vibrator. I hadn't bought a new razor handle since the fusion first came out; so it was a worthwhile purchase.

#93 Posted by sukraj (27293 posts) -

@solidruss said:

Electric for me, beard trimmer for the goatee part.

I love my electric shaver I don't like razors because I have sensitive skin so I stay away disposable razors.

#94 Posted by Xeno_ghost (990 posts) -

I use WAHL hair clippers, they stop me getting shaving bumps and I can control the length of my beard and can style my beard and tash easily with clippers. Currently rockin a wolverine style beard :)

#95 Edited by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -

Vacuum does good work, seriously cuts down on the clean up

#96 Edited by korvus (10713 posts) -

@chaoscougar1: That's pretty nifty; never seen one with vacuum. That looks like a body hair trimmer though...is it?

#97 Edited by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -

@korvus said:

@chaoscougar1: That's pretty nifty; never seen one with vacuum. That looks like a body hair trimmer though...is it?

Nah
Beardtrimmer

#98 Posted by lamprey263 (34499 posts) -

Lately I've been letting my facial hair grow out, and just to explain my facial hair pretty much grows out in a natural goatee and doesn't require any maintenance around it except for some patchy areas, and I usually deal with that when I shave my head, which I just do with a no length guard set of hair clippers and while I'm at it I take care of the patchy spots on my beard area and it's good for another week or two until I shave my head again. My facial hair is beginning to annoy me, and if I cut it I'll have to go back to maintaining a clean shave with typical Gillette razors.

#99 Edited by sukraj (27293 posts) -

@chaoscougar1 said:

Vacuum does good work, seriously cuts down on the clean up

I 've got the same shaver as u.

#100 Posted by korvus (10713 posts) -

@chaoscougar1: I've still got much to learn =P

@lamprey263: Curse you hair follicles!!