What do you prefer,restaurant food or homemade food?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6099 Posts

Myself I’m into restaurants more than meals cooked at home. What I love about eating in restaurants is no preparation,no dishes, no long cooking times, and cleaning up is sometimes a big chore. I live alone and prefer so,also a benefit for not cooking for others.

I know restaurants are expensive and just guessing that more then half will say home cooking but it’s just a guess?

What are your thoughts gamer’s?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

On the long term, homemade food obviously. Despite the effort required, it's healthier and generally cheaper. Restaurant food is better as a weekly one or two time thing when you want to treat yourself to something special.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Depends on the restaurant.

But generally speaking can't cook to save my life. Make simple cheap food, which is fine, keeps you going.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

OP, need better parameters to better answer your question.

In general, I prefer food from a restaurant, but not for the same reasons you listed, OP. I like restaurants for the ambience, the service, and food (lots of reasons why).

I have no qualms w/ cooking or cleaning and prepare most meals at home for my family most days of the week.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Food from a restaurant will always be best.

MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 MikeLirette
Member since 2005 • 4697 Posts

Depends, I like all foods :D

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1166 Posts

Home. It's cheaper, doesn't require me to go anywhere once I have it at my place, and doesn't take too much time to cook. Especially because I'm a weight lifter, home meals are a must.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3649 Posts

Went to a restaurant a few days ago and it was $17. Just for 6 tacos which I could have made at home and 2 sweet teas. Granted the tacos are $2 when they used to be a $1.50. I honestly prefer homemade food as it taste better. I ate cornbread and a fideo yesterday and it was good.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#9 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Homemade food for the most part. But, of course I have some favourite local eateries. One being a Lebanese BBQ joint that has been temporarily closed for over a month now. No idea what the deal is either. I'm guessing it could be something to do with a piece of equipment or the building itself. They've been saying for a while that they'll be opening their doors again for business soon. So, fingers crossed.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3482 Posts

Homemade food most of the time. Quality restaurant food is better than homemade at times.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

Homemade. Restaurant food really depends on the restaurant. A lot of the time you're paying for frozen food that's been microwaved and marked up an outrageous amount.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

Homemade.

Not to sound like a snob, but I am a good cook and was a chef for a while, as is my mom. And my sister for that matter. Between the three of us (and my brother-in-law, who is great with the BBQ) we make some good eats.

I'm generally let down with restaurant food because I can make better at home. I eat out and just try to appreciate the service, and I always appreciate the food and the effort. I don't sit there in misery, and I do enjoy it...it's just sort of a feeling of "Wow, this wasn't bad, but I've done better."

This is why every time I find a place to eat that I love, it feels like such a victory. And they're usually smaller, cheaper places too. For every 20 bland Mexican restaurants, you might find one or two good places that actually know how to season and make off-menu items for people that know.

@speeny said:

...One being a Lebanese BBQ joint that has been temporarily closed for over a month now...

Love me some kafta or some Lebanese grilled chicken! Hope they open up soon; niche cuisine like that needs to be available to eat for people, expand their horizons.

And they make that amazing garlic whip stuff! OMG so good. Apparently it's just garlic and oil that pureed with the right technique that the oil in the garlic makes this emulsion and it stays fluffy like that. Thought it was mayonaise the first time I had it, but when I tried some NOPE! Spicy raw garlic whip haha

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Speeny

@mrbojangles25 said:

Homemade.

Not to sound like a snob, but I am a good cook and was a chef for a while, as is my mom. And my sister for that matter. Between the three of us (and my brother-in-law, who is great with the BBQ) we make some good eats.

I'm generally let down with restaurant food because I can make better at home. I eat out and just try to appreciate the service, and I always appreciate the food and the effort. I don't sit there in misery, and I do enjoy it...it's just sort of a feeling of "Wow, this wasn't bad, but I've done better."

This is why every time I find a place to eat that I love, it feels like such a victory. And they're usually smaller, cheaper places too. For every 20 bland Mexican restaurants, you might find one or two good places that actually know how to season and make off-menu items for people that know.

@speeny said:

...One being a Lebanese BBQ joint that has been temporarily closed for over a month now...

Love me some kafta or some Lebanese grilled chicken! Hope they open up soon; niche cuisine like that needs to be available to eat for people, expand their horizons.

And they make that amazing garlic whip stuff! OMG so good. Apparently it's just garlic and oil that pureed with the right technique that the oil in the garlic makes this emulsion and it stays fluffy like that. Thought it was mayonaise the first time I had it, but when I tried some NOPE! Spicy raw garlic whip haha

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend you try some Baba ghanoush. It's a barbequed eggplant dip. The garlic dip is delicious too. I've found that sometimes you can get a batch that is too strong depending on the restaurant, but you just need that perfect balance. The downside is that it tends to stay on your breath for a while! Lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@speeny: I hate eggplant normally, but I loooooooooooove baba ghanoush. Something about the smokey-creamy-chunky flavor and texture of it. It has all the richness of a cream-based dip (like a cheese dip or artichoke dip or french onion dip) without the guilt because it's basically just vegetables (and tahini).

I think it's one of those things I could always snack on and never get tired of. Baba ghanoush and some warm pita. Yum.

Pretty easy to make. Highly recommend roasting the eggplant over coals so it get's a bit of smoke and char flavor to it, but you can roast under the broiler or over an open flame on the stove.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Speeny

@mrbojangles25 said:

@speeny: I hate eggplant normally, but I loooooooooooove baba ghanoush. Something about the smokey-creamy-chunky flavor and texture of it. It has all the richness of a cream-based dip (like a cheese dip or artichoke dip or french onion dip) without the guilt because it's basically just vegetables (and tahini).

I think it's one of those things I could always snack on and never get tired of. Baba ghanoush and some warm pita. Yum.

Pretty easy to make. Highly recommend roasting the eggplant over coals so it get's a bit of smoke and char flavor to it, but you can roast under the broiler or over an open flame on the stove.

Oh yeah. Some Baba Ghanoush, pita and lamb are a match made in heaven.

Awesome! I haven't made it myself, but plan to eventually. Cooking over coal would be the best way to go.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

This is a tough one, but for me depends on the food and who is making it/where I'm getting it from.
Sometimes homemade can be really good and sometimes restaurant is much better.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@speeny said:

Homemade food for the most part. But, of course I have some favourite local eateries. One being a Lebanese BBQ joint that has been temporarily closed for over a month now. No idea what the deal is either. I'm guessing it could be something to do with a piece of equipment or the building itself. They've been saying for a while that they'll be opening their doors again for business soon. So, fingers crossed.

That is something I must try.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Homemade really. I just sometimes don't want to cook lol.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

Homemade when someone else is cooking.