What do you have to do to become a garbage man ?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cruzmontana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cruzmontana
Member since 2007 • 281 Posts
Do you need to finish high school ? can you just be the guy that picks up the garbage or do you need to know how to drive a truck ?
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need to go to college to be a garbage man. I'm not sure though. The professional name for garbage is "sanitation engineer" so i'd assume you would need some degree in engineering?
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

Do you need to finish high school ? can you just be the guy that picks up the garbage or do you need to know how to drive a truck ?cruzmontana

I'm assuming you need a certification to drive such a large vehicle. As for a "garbage monkey", you probably just need to pass the drug test and apply at Waste Management or whoever handles your waste.

ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts
I really hope your aiming for a better future than being a garbage man...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Understand basic english, learn to drive those garbage trucks and that's about it.
downed_round

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 downed_round
Member since 2004 • 455 Posts

You have to let go of all of your dreams and ambitions...

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

downed_round

I disagree. A garbage man is a fairly easy job, the pay is decent and they get full benefits. I like the fact that they only work once a week for 2 hours.

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts

Understand basic english, learn to drive those garbage trucks and that's about it.123625

The guys who drive the truck in our neighbourhood are constantly running over the stop-sign. I hope he learns to drive better then them guys.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

I'm pretty sure you need to go to college to be a garbage man. I'm not sure though. The professional name for garbage is "sanitation engineer" so i'd assume you would need some degree in engineering?nintendoman562

A degree in engineering to take out the trash? LMFAO no.  

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoman562"]I'm pretty sure you need to go to college to be a garbage man. I'm not sure though. The professional name for garbage is "sanitation engineer" so i'd assume you would need some degree in engineering?Cloud_Insurance

A degree in engineering to take out the trash? LMFAO no.  

He was joking... 

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

Understand basic english, learn to drive those garbage trucks and that's about it.123625

None of my garbage men guys don't speak or understand one word of english. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

[QUOTE="123625"]Understand basic english, learn to drive those garbage trucks and that's about it.MrLions

They should be fired.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I really hope your aiming for a better future than being a garbage man...ramboturd72

dont be a snob, man.

1. Garbage men make decent money. Starting salary in my town is about 40k, and some of the ones who have been there a while make 60k or more.

2. Theyre unionized, have good benefits, and they work for the city

3. Somebody has to clean up people's junk; its not a fancy job, but its necessary and there is indeed a certain nobility to it.

As for what you need, all I can think of is you likely gotta pass a test, a drug test, and a driver's test. A strong back might also be needed but most garbage men get to sit in their cab and let that big forklift thingy do the work.

cruzmontana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cruzmontana
Member since 2007 • 281 Posts
I wanted to become one since the day i read that a guy got paid $30 an hour and had a decent living, and you dont even have to go to college WTF
fanboy-buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 fanboy-buster
Member since 2006 • 4594 Posts

Just check out this video....and become the most badass garbage man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
One of my garbage ladies is also a bank teller at my bank. Makes me wonder...
groovdafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 groovdafied
Member since 2005 • 5012 Posts
You can sleep with the garbage man's wife to help pull some strings ;)
SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts
[QUOTE="downed_round"]

Boba_Fett_3710

I disagree. A garbage man is a fairly easy job, the pay is decent and they get full benefits. I like the fact that they only work once a week for 2 hours.

I dont know where you are from but here garbage men work 12 to 14 hours a day and usually start at 4am. its why they are paid so well. No one would want to otherwise.
Ztxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ztxl
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts
[QUOTE="MrLions"]

[QUOTE="123625"]Understand basic english, learn to drive those garbage trucks and that's about it.123625

They should be fired.

Have you considered that he may live in a non english speaking country?
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

I really hope your aiming for a better future than being a garbage man...ramboturd72

Garbage men usually don't do too bad.  Pay tends to be higher than the skillset demanded when it needs to be done and no one wants to do it.

DarkPrinceXC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DarkPrinceXC
Member since 2003 • 5921 Posts

[QUOTE="ramboturd72"]I really hope your aiming for a better future than being a garbage man...pianist

Garbage men usually don't do too bad.  Pay tends to be higher than the skillset demanded when it needs to be done and no one wants to do it.

Exactly. It's definitely something to consider if you're out of work for a while. Not a good career choice IMO, but whatever floats your boat.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

When the plague hits and people are dropping like flies in your neighborhood, what are you gonna do with all of your dead family's plague-saturated belongings? When you've got a 5 foot high pile of trash in the front yard and garbage men won't pick it up because they don't want to get the plague either, I bet you won't be looking down on your garbage men then. No, you'll be on your knees BEGGING them to haul away your trash so that you don't freaking DIE.

I've always had a certain degree of contempt for this kind of attitude. People often look at plumbers and garbage men as mere servants, rather than people doing hard honest work so that the rest of us don't have to deal with our own filth. They're providing one of the most valuable services there is, yet we look at them and say "Look at that scumbag, picking up garbage." It's really a sad, horrible outlook on life.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

[QUOTE="ramboturd72"]I really hope your aiming for a better future than being a garbage man...MrGeezer

When the plague hits and people are dropping like flies in your neighborhood, what are you gonna do with all of your dead family's plague-saturated belongings? When you've got a 5 foot high pile of trash in the front yard and garbage men won't pick it up because they don't want to get the plague either, I bet you won't be looking down on your garbage men then. No, you'll be on your knees BEGGING them to haul away your trash so that you don't freaking DIE.

I've always had a certain degree of contempt for this kind of attitude. People often look at plumbers and garbage men as mere servants, rather than people doing hard honest work so that the rest of us don't have to deal with our own filth. They're providing one of the most valuable services there is, yet we look at them and say "Look at that scumbag, picking up garbage." It's really a sad, horrible outlook on life.

I salute you good sir!! :)
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="ramboturd72"]I really hope your aiming for a better future than being a garbage man...MrGeezer

And what do you do for a living? 

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="ramboturd72"]I really hope your aiming for a better future than being a garbage man...X360PS3AMD05

I salute you good sir!! :)

People are often like, "why are athletes and movie stars paid so much? We should pay more money to TEACHERS since they're more important!"

Yet...would your kids teachers even be ALIVE if they didn't have access to sanitation services? If your teachers die from pest related illnesses because there are no garbagemen around to haul away the giant mountain of garbage building up on their front lawns, then how are they going to teach your children?

Sure, you can pay a lanscaper thousands of dollars to plant pretty trees and **** in your front yard, and to sculp your bushes and trim the hedges, and deliver the right fertilizers that ensure optimum flowers, so that your rich ass mansion looks all pretty and ****. But when those tree grow their roots into the sewage lines and block up the flow so that you've got feces pouring out onto your own bathroom floors, are you gonna fix that **** yourself? No, you call a plumber. Because you NEED a plumber desperately. So HOW can you pay that guy well to keep feces out of your house, and then say "man, that crap-bagging man is scum" as he's driving away after fixing your ****?

I mean, really. If the service he provided was THAT freaking worthless, then why didn't you do it yourself? 

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="ramboturd72"]I really hope your aiming for a better future than being a garbage man...Cloud_Insurance

How is that relevant, or in any way your business? 

UnReelMan08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UnReelMan08
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
how hard is it to handle a robotic arm to mechanically lift a garbage can up, toss the contents inside your truck, then put it back there, heck if you're a gamer you should already be half way there with the movement of the sticks. from there it's only a learning curve (20 min ?)
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cloud_Insurance
[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

MrGeezer

You must have a **** job then.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

Cloud_Insurance

And how would THAT be relevant? 

Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Thinker_reborn
Member since 2008 • 676 Posts
[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

Well hez prolly asking whether you are yourself a garbage man or not.

And garbage men didnt work their asses off like we did to study now did they?

OmegaCookie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 237

#31 OmegaCookie7
Member since 2008 • 725 Posts

You need to understand basic English?

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
be a guerrilla from a fictional place and go to a school in japan as a transfer student but really are a soldier in a high tech fight force guess where i got this from but don't think to hard i'll tell you some time in the future if no one guesses the right answer and i think high school is the lowest you need idk
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
be a guerrilla from a fictional place and go to a school in japan as a transfer student but really are a soldier in a high tech fight force guess where i got this from but don't think to hard i'll tell you some time in the future if no one guesses the right answer and i think high school is the lowest you need idk
DarkPrinceXC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DarkPrinceXC
Member since 2003 • 5921 Posts

Thinker_reborn

Maybe they got layed off?

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cloud_Insurance
[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

MrGeezer

Well, you made a point to defend people with "lesser" jobs. I'm guessing you hold that viewpoint partly because you job is one of the "lesser" ones. You getting upset when I asked what you do, leads me to believe that you do in fact have a "lesser" job, or don't like the job you have, or both. Seems pretty relevant to me.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer

Thinker_reborn

I wouldn't know. I've seen people work their asses off to study and end up working at Wal-Mart or Piggly Wiggly.

Anyway, this sort of illustrates my point. You can work your ass off harder than 100 men while you're studying in college. But how does that help ME? A garbage man helps ME. A plumber helps ME. MOST people work their asses off one way or another. Why should I give more respect to the abstract concept of someone who blows thousands of dollars on a useless education and ends up owing thousands of dollars in student loans that they won't pay off until they're fifty, when my toilet needs to get unclogged NOW?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer

Cloud_Insurance

Well, you made a point to defend people with "lesser" jobs. I'm guessing you hold that viewpoint partly because you job is one of the "lesser" ones. You getting upset when I asked what you do, leads me to believe that you do in fact have a "lesser" job, or don't like the job you have, or both. Seems pretty relevant to me.

No...that would be relevant if there was one garbage man on the planet, and that garbage man was me.

I might eat feces for a living, or I might get paid to sit on my fat ass and get drunk while playing videogames and having sex with supermodels. Either way, I'm STILL not an industry at large, so ANY beefs that you have about me are irrelevant as far as pertaining to an industry. you can find numerous examples of pedophile teachers who got arrested for having sex with their students, but that STILL doesn't discredit a pedophile's opinion about education.

I notice that for a WHILE you've been trying to attack my character as a way of countering my arguments. But you STILL haven't addressed anything I actually said. I might have a "lesser" job, or I might be the King of England. I don't see how that's relevant. If what I said was bull****, you should've just called me out on my bull**** instead of trying to lure me into an obvious character attack. Are you capable of discussing IDEAS? Or do you think that a mere garbage man is too stupid to understand the words that are coming out of your mouth?

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cloud_Insurance

I answered your long winded post before you posted it...

Well, you made a point to defend people with "lesser" jobs. I'm guessing you hold that viewpoint partly because you job is one of the "lesser" ones.

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cloud_Insurance
In other words, I think that if you had a more fulfilling or "higher" job, you wouldn't have the same stance on "lesser" jobs like garbage man. Seriously, what do you do?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer

In other words, I think that if you had a more fulfilling or "higher" job, you wouldn't have the same stance on "lesser" jobs like garbage man. Seriously, what do you do?Cloud_Insurance

I've already explained why I respect the "subhumans". They VOLUNTARILY do work that literally allows the rest of us to maintain our same standard of cushy living. They're not slaves. If they didn't plumb our pipes or haul away our trash, life would SUCK for the rest of us. They generally get paid well for what they do, they take pride in their work (or at least, they ought to), and the "REAL people" such as yourself get to benefit from it.

My question is, why the contempt?

I've not yet spoken ill of any profession, nor have I criticized anyone who has a strong work ethic and takes pleasure performing a valuable and necessary service for good pay. So what is it about YOU that causes you to take such offense at someone actually respecting a mere garbage man? 

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cloud_Insurance
I'm not upset that you are defending them. I just think part of the reason you hold that view is because you hold a similar **** job. Am I far off or not? You don't like your job, do you?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer

I'm not upset that you are defending them. I just think part of the reason you hold that view is because you hold a similar **** job. Am I far off or not? You don't like your job, do you?Cloud_Insurance

What you're saying is basically that the only reason someone would respect someone with a crappy job is if that person has a crappy job themselves.

That implies two things...

1) That the person with the "crappy" job actually does hate their jobs. And why would you think that? Sure, YOU might not ever like being a garbage man. But you're NOT a garbage man, are you? How is it so offensive to think that a garbageman or plumber might actually ENJOY their work? Is it bitterness on account of having spent many thousands of dollars and many years studying just to get a job that you STILL hate? Hopefully that's not the case. I'd rather not play the personal attack card and speculate on WHY you find it so offensive that someone could actually be happy cleaning up garbage.

2) That the only reason that anyone could ever respect someone with a "crappy" job is because that person also has a crappy job. That their personality and overall work ethic don't mean a damn thing: if you clean up ****, then you're ****. And that people who clean up **** are so contemptible that no REAL person could ever respect them. The only person who could ever respect a ****-cleaner HAS to be another person who cleans up ****. You're basically saying that they're morlocks, who are not to be spoken of or talked about. That we should just let them do their job and try to pretend that they don't exist. That the mere mention of the valuable service that they perform gets us one step closer to being like them, and is offensive for that sole reason. 

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts
You would probably need a truck licence and the will to get up very early in the morning.
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I'm not upset that you are defending them. I just think part of the reason you hold that view is because you hold a similar **** job. Am I far off or not? You don't like your job, do you?MrGeezer

What you're saying is basically that the only reason someone would respect someone with a crappy job is if that person has a crappy job themselves.

1) That the person with the "crappy" job actually does hate their jobs. And why would you think that? Sure, YOU might not ever like being a garbage man. But you're NOT a garbage man, are you? How is it so offensive to think that a garbageman or plumber might actually ENJOY their work? Is it bitterness on account of having spent many thousands of dollars and many years studying just to get a job that you STILL hate? Hopefully that's not the case. I'd rather not play the personal attack card and speculate on WHY you find it so offensive that someone could actually be happy cleaning up garbage.

2) That the only reason that anyone could ever respect someone with a "crappy" job is because that person also has a crappy job. That their personality and overall work ethic don't mean a damn thing: if you clean up ****, then you're ****. And that people who clean up **** are so contemptible that no REAL person could ever respect them. The only person who could ever respect a ****-cleaner HAS to be another person who cleans up ****. You're basically saying that they're morlocks, who are not to be spoken of or talked about. That we should just let them do their job and try to pretend that they don't exist. That the mere mention of the valuable service that they perform gets us one step closer to being like them, and is offensive for that sole reason. 

I said it was a contributing factor, not the sole reason.

So you do have a crappy job and hate it, right? 

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I believe you will need a degree in sanitation collection services.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I'm not upset that you are defending them. I just think part of the reason you hold that view is because you hold a similar **** job. Am I far off or not? You don't like your job, do you?Cloud_Insurance

I said it was a contributing factor, not the sole reason.

So you do have a crappy job and hate it, right?

Of course not. 

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

I would contact your towns Sanitation department and let them know you are interest in being a Sanitation worker. It might be as simple as filling out an application and passing a drug test (possible written test, I'm not sure).

It's not the worst job you can have. It's a city job, so it's a union job with benefits. The only downside is working in all possible weather conditions.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
a valid license and be able to lift trash
Avatar image for FrKnPuertoRican
FrKnPuertoRican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FrKnPuertoRican
Member since 2003 • 3005 Posts
My knowledge of garbage men is based entirely off of the movie

The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon

so it seems pretty obvious that garbage men work more than one day a week, make good pay, and have a much higher chance than the rest of the population of becoming stars in the national football league. 

Vilot_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vilot_Hero
Member since 2008 • 4522 Posts
I don't think being a garbage man requires you to go to college....A drivers license would be required I think.