What do you call people who create racism/sexism problems out of nothing ?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SultaN-s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SultaN-s
Member since 2011 • 85 Posts

Seriously, I hate those people ! I noticed that most of them are either trying to sound smart -only to look stupid- or journalists who only care about view count. Is there a proper word for these people beside the usual moron, idiot ..etc

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

You call them "Al Sharpton". Look up the Tawana Brawley case - had both imaginary sexism and racism in it.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#3 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts
Kotaku
Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Scarebaby
Member since 2008 • 1273 Posts

Narrow-minded?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

racists and sexists.

Oh I misread the title and OP, nvm.

Vac87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vac87
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

Could you give an example? Racism is a real problem many people face. 

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

KotakuSlashless

I laughed.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Vac87

You're blind if you can't see tonnes of people abusing it. Ofcourse it's a real problem, a very real problem, but some people still abuse the connotation sometimes.

Most obvious examples are probably in the yellow press, people being called racist for something like saying they don't have any black friends. 

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

What you are saying is very non-specific. I could easily be calling you an idiot for not seeing racism/sexism in something.

... but I won't because I don't know what you are talking about exactly but I do know that everyone has different thresholds, calling those people insensitive *insert insult here*, just makes end up making you look very cold either way.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

I don't hate anyone but I dislike that they automatically feel that someone or something is against them. I do try to look at it from their viewpoint, and if it doesn't make sense, to me, I dismiss their view.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

[QUOTE="Vac87"]

thegerg

Well, I've been told that mentioning slavery to a black GS member makes me a racist.

Do you have the direct quote? I doubt that just mentioning slavery would warrant you being called a racist.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
"The Media"
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
TC are you referring to a specific example?
4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 4-Legged-Shark
Member since 2010 • 1031 Posts

hmmm... liberal douchebag?.... annoying liberal?..... the ones who create sexism problems out of nothing are called "feminists." Strange I know.

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 4-Legged-Shark
Member since 2010 • 1031 Posts

I don't hate anyone but I dislike that they automatically feel that someone or something is against them. I do try to look at it from their viewpoint, and if it doesn't make sense, to me, I dismiss their view.

lowkey254

What the duck? That's Broughton Street in your sig....

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I call them racist/sexist. In fact, Al Sharpton is one of the biggest racists I know of. >_>
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Liberals, you call them liberals.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

What you are saying is very non-specific. I could easily be calling you an idiot for not seeing racism/sexism in something.

... but I won't because I don't know what you are talking about exactly but I do know that everyone has different thresholds, calling those people insensitive *insert insult here*, just makes end up making you look very cold either way.

greenskittles
What, are you new to the world or something? Anyways I like to call them charlatans. What's worse is these people actually do a lot of harm to the issues they are supposedly fighting for.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

Seriously, I hate those people ! I noticed that most of them are either trying to sound smart -only to look stupid- or journalists who only care about view count. Is there a proper word for these people beside the usual moron, idiot ..etc

SultaN-s
Simple, you can call them Human Beings. . . . just like us. Unjustified prejedice is nothing new and nothing scarce.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#23 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

If they truly created them out of nothing, then I'd call them racists and/or sexists.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

[QUOTE="Vac87"]

thegerg

Well, I've been told that mentioning slavery to a black GS member makes me a racist.

ah yes, the common belief that slavery was exclusive to black people.  That will get you labeled a racist right away.

So will saying that Israel is a bad place/government

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

evil.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

Renevent42

What, are you new to the world or something? Anyways I like to call them charlatans. What's worse is these people actually do a lot of harm to the issues they are supposedly fighting for.

I ... honestly don't know how to reply to this hollow question :|

but ... I'm sure you'll find some snarky justification for your condescending question.

SultaN-s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SultaN-s
Member since 2011 • 85 Posts

Last month, when Sony announced the PS4, the whole video game section of the internet was talking about the console and predicting it's future. But not Kotaku. No, they were b*tching about why there was no women in the event and accused Sony of being sexist !! I mean WTF people ?! The Playstation has just ascended and they totally ruined the fun for no real reason.

And last night, I was reading reviews for the movie Cloud Atlas and saw there, too, people bringing up anti-racism comments where no racism can be found.

Racism and sexism are serious problems but they do NOT occur everywhere. Some people can turn fun moments into embarrassing and awkward situations.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
I live in a city that borders Detroit. It happens all the time there, but its starting to get old.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 greenskittles

Last month, when Sony announced the PS4, the whole video game section of the internet was talking about the console and predicting it's future. But not Kotaku. No, they were b*tching about why there was no women in the event and accused Sony of being sexist !! I mean WTF people ?! The Playstation has just ascended and they totally ruined the fun for no real reason.

And last night, I was reading reviews for the movie Cloud Atlas and saw there, too, people bringing up anti-racism comments where no racism can be found.

Racism and sexism are serious problems but they do NOT occur everywhere. Some people can turn fun moments into embarrassing and awkward situations.

SultaN-s

Right ... but its 2013. If I were to spin your perspective here a little -- wouldn't you prefer that things were being called out for discrimination? It's certainly better than just a couple of years ago when they weren't and when discrimination was the norm.

I know what world I'd prefer to live in. It's not ideal, but I'd rather have white knights, fighting for a cause with little basis, than racist/sexist douchebags fighting for anything.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 m0zart

Right ... but its 2013. If I were to spin your perspective here a little -- wouldn't you prefer that things were being called out for discrimination? It's certainly better than just a couple of years ago when they weren't and when discrimination was the norm.

I know what world I'd prefer to live in. It's not ideal, but I'd rather have white knights, fighting for a cause with little basis, than racist/sexist douchebags fighting for anything.greenskittles

And where, may I ask, are the knights of other races in your response?

For Pete's sake it's 2013! This kind of discrimination, this open exclusion of other races and use of antiquated and offensive figures of speech, is just not acceptable!

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Funny and entertaining.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
The accusation of pointing out prejudice where it doesn't exist is often short-sighted. I mean, there definitely are people who look for prejudice where it doesn't exist (i.e. one radical feminist who actually claimed that Newton's laws of motion constituted a rape manual), but often I've noticed someone pointing out a real example of prejudice but then being blindly accused of making a big deal out of nothing. Anyway, I'd simply call the people you're talking about short-sighted and careless.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

[QUOTE="lowkey254"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Well, I've been told that mentioning slavery to a black GS member makes me a racist. thegerg

Do you have the direct quote? I doubt that just mentioning slavery would warrant you being called a racist.

"you made a slavery comment towards the black etnicity, which is very much racist."

Notice he didn't say "telling a black person that you support black slavery is very much racist", or "telling a black person that he should be a slave is racist is very much racist." This fool thinks simply making a "slavery comment towards the black etnicity" is "very much racist."

What was the comment you made anyway?
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]Right ... but its 2013. If I were to spin your perspective here a little -- wouldn't you prefer that things were being called out for discrimination? It's certainly better than just a couple of years ago when they weren't and when discrimination was the norm.

I know what world I'd prefer to live in. It's not ideal, but I'd rather have white knights, fighting for a cause with little basis, than racist/sexist douchebags fighting for anything.m0zart

For Pete's sake it's 2013! This kind of discrimination, this open exclusion of other races and use of antiquated and offensive figures of speech, is just not acceptable!

Forgive my confusion ... but I don't understand what you are saying or asking, nor why you are with that post. It doesn't make much sense.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 m0zart

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]Right ... but its 2013. If I were to spin your perspective here a little -- wouldn't you prefer that things were being called out for discrimination? It's certainly better than just a couple of years ago when they weren't and when discrimination was the norm.

I know what world I'd prefer to live in. It's not ideal, but I'd rather have white knights, fighting for a cause with little basis, than racist/sexist douchebags fighting for anything.greenskittles

Forgive my confusion ... but I don't understand what you are saying or asking, nor why you are with that post. It doesn't make much sense.

Your confusion is very telling! You are certainly willing to use terms that carry some racist connotation, and I felt like fighting the cause against that sort of outdated and potentially offensive rhetoric, regardless of how little basis there might be to it.

It's not ideal, but I'd rather have knights of many races and colors fighting these issues than revert to a few years ago when terms like "white knight" weren't treated as the entrenched cacaphonies of racist communication that they might have some very limited basis of being.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
KotakuSlashless
LOL, they're the ones who called Far Cry 3 racist, right? lolkotaku
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

m0zart

Your confusion is very telling! You are certainly willing to use terms that carry some racist connotation, and I felt like fighting the cause against that sort of outdated and potentially offensive rhetoric, regardless of how little basis there might be to it.

It's not ideal, but I'd rather have knights of many races and colors fighting these issues than revert to a few years ago when terms like "white knight" weren't treated as the entrenched cacaphonies of racist communication that they might have some very limited basis of being.

I really cant tell what you are trying to say here. Hopefully you can quit being condescending and admit that in a two sentence reply, it is difficult to ascertain the tone you are going for. Emoticon use would be ideal here. If your point is to demonstrate that the PC police has gone too far, by showing how easy it is to be deemed a racist or sexist ... Thats fine. I have no problems apologising for anything in life that offends anyone, but i, like many, have a line that i don't cross. People are going to be offended by many things i am not going to be. I just don't go around making fun of those people by calling those people names. It seems really sad if you, m0zart are with TC and want to label more sensitive people negatively, just because you don't think some things in life are that big a deal.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 m0zart

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

greenskittles

I really cant tell what you are trying to say here. Hopefully you can quit being condescending and admit that in a two sentence reply, it is difficult to ascertain the tone you are going for. Emoticon use would be ideal here. If your point is to demonstrate that the PC police has gone too far, by showing how easy it is to be deemed a racist or sexist ... Thats fine. I have no problems apologising for anything in life that offends anyone, but i, like many, have a line that i don't cross. People are going to be offended by many things i am not going to be. I just don't go around making fun of those people by calling those people names. It seems really sad if you, m0zart are with TC and want to label more sensitive people negatively, just because you don't think some things in life are that big a deal.

I am glad it's difficult for you to get, and I am glad you consider it condescending, because I am using the precise method you were touting as the superior route in your own original posts, the very posts to which I replied. An emoticon would make it clear I was joking, but why do that when you've already put your stamp of approval on the method?

If you don't like the way it went, then you should probably turn introspective and figure out WHY you don't, and why the approach you tout therefore might not be the best one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I live in a city that borders Detroit. It happens all the time there, but its starting to get old. Darthmatt
Troy, Birmingham, and Royal Oak are all nice suburbs. Even Rochester aint bad./
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Racists and sexists.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

[QUOTE="Darthmatt"]I live in a city that borders Detroit. It happens all the time there, but its starting to get old. sonicare
Troy, Birmingham, and Royal Oak are all nice suburbs. Even Rochester aint bad./

Yep, but its like south of 8-mile they hand out the race card to keep in the wallet. Just in case.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

What do you call peopel who create ___ problems out of nothing?

Women.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 greenskittles

M0zart- I am glad it's difficult for you to get, and I am glad you consider it condescending, because I am using the precise method you were touting as the superior route in your own original posts, the very posts to which I replied. An emoticon would make it clear I was joking, but why do that when you've already put your stamp of approval on the method? If you don't like the way it went, then you should probably turn introspective and figure out WHY you don't, and why the approach you tout therefore might not be the best one.

--------------------------

Why would u want your message difficult to understand? Why dont u just say what you mean and quit dancing around it?

It is better to be mindful than not be mindful in society. Ideally it would be about finding a balance better balance, but i cant say we have reached that point yet, we are still in the negative spectrum.

Here is a direct question for you m0zart, can you honestly say, in society .... We arent thoughtful enough? Since you have not offerred an example, im going to just be speaking generally about planet earth and its people in this questions instance.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 m0zart

M0zart- I am glad it's difficult for you to get, and I am glad you consider it condescending, because I am using the precise method you were touting as the superior route in your own original posts, the very posts to which I replied. An emoticon would make it clear I was joking, but why do that when you've already put your stamp of approval on the method? If you don't like the way it went, then you should probably turn introspective and figure out WHY you don't, and why the approach you tout therefore might not be the best one.

Why would u want your message difficult to understand? Why dont u just say what you mean and quit dancing around it?

It is better to be mindful than not be mindful in society. Ideally it would be about finding a balance better balance, but i cant say we have reached that point yet, we are still in the negative spectrum.

Here is a direct question for you m0zart, can you honestly say, in society .... We arent thoughtful enough? Since you have not offerred an example, im going to just be speaking generally about planet earth and its people in this questions instance.

greenskittles

I don't think it's that difficult to understand to anyone but you. At least so far, I've seen no evidence of that. I am glad it is difficult for YOU to understand because it was a post built on YOUR premises, the ones you stated were legitimate and acceptable. It means you should probalby ask yourself some questions for a change.

Based on your own statements, you were NOT THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH to realize that the term "white knight" can be easily construed as a racist term. Heck, I don't even need to rely on the tenuous connection to using "white" as an adjective, implying that the color white is the clean pigment while other knightly shades are not as clean, even though your own qualifications would allow such as a connection to be enough to be disruptive in the name of "thoughtfulness". No, I can easily rely on the less tenuous fact that it was a term used by the KKK to describe themselves, and often accompanied their own "battle" cries.

Yeah I am being a turd for bringing it up, but that makes me pretty heroic by your own standards. Again, if you don't like the result, examine the standards. In other words, be more thoughtful. Your own admitted willingness to accept any activism in the name of a cause without examining the substance behind its specific claims is not a substitute for being thoughtful.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

What do you call people who create racism/sexism problems out of nothing ?

SultaN-s

Politically Correct.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

m0zart

I don't think it's that difficult to understand to anyone but you. At least so far, I've seen no evidence of that. I am glad it is difficult for YOU to understand because it was a post built on YOUR premises, the ones you stated were legitimate and acceptable. It means you should probalby ask yourself some questions for a change.

Based on your own statements, you were NOT THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH to realize that the term "white knight" can be easily construed as a racist term. Heck, I don't even need to rely on the tenuous connection to using "white" as an adjective, implying that the color white is the clean pigment while other knightly shades are not as clean, even though your own qualifications would allow such as a connection to be enough to be disruptive in the name of "thoughtfulness". No, I can easily rely on the less tenuous fact that it was a term used by the KKK to describe themselves, and often accompanied their own "battle" cries.

Yeah I am being a turd for bringing it up, but that makes me pretty heroic by your own standards. Again, if you don't like the result, examine the standards. In other words, be more thoughtful. Your own admitted willingness to accept any activism in the name of a cause without examining the substance behind its specific claims is not a substitute for being thoughtful.

Heroic? Hmm, never did I say, doing so was heroic ... that's a bit of an exageration.

I'm not saying what I say all the time, does not offend, I've stated that already, and will apologize for any ignorance. But I'd rather be called out for these things, than let it continue as the norm, which you know what? A lot of things in life that are wrong are still considered normal which shouldn't. 

Which simply brings me to the question I already asked but I'll rephrase it. Do you, honestly think equality exist?

If your answer is yes ... then I'm officially done here. If your answer is no, than maybe YOU need to rexamine your priorities, because fighting for the belief that we are too sensitive to these issues of discrimination is not exactly productive use of your time, and ... mainly it just makes you look bad.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 m0zart

Heroic? Hmm, never did I say, doing so was heroic ... that's a bit of an exageration.

I'm not saying what I say all the time, does not offend, I've stated that already, and will apologize for any ignorance. But I'd rather be called out for these things, than let it continue as the norm, which you know what? A lot of things in life that are wrong are still considered normal which shouldn't.

Which simply brings me to the question I already asked but I'll rephrase it. Do you, honestly think equality exist?

If your answer is yes ... then I'm officially done here. If your answer is no, than maybe YOU need to rexamine your priorities, because fighting for the belief that we are too sensitive to these issues of discrimination is not exactly productive use of your time, and ... mainly it just makes you look bad.

greenskittles

Exists in what sense? Should all people be treated equally in the sight of the law? Yes. Are all people actually equal? I guess that depends on what aspect of equality you are referring to. Certainly there is much to do to ensure that all people are treated equally under the law.

I disagree with you about your assertion there at the end in any case, very strongly in fact. I think seeing racism and discrimination in anything and everything and acting as an activist for such things whenever you can regardless of the merits of the case, only serves to weaken the various movements dealing with real problems. It wastes time, resources, energy, and credibility; in other words, it makes them look "bad". It makes it very easy for those who care nothing for the overall agenda to criticize that agenda, giving them real amunition to do so.

Part of my little staging there was intended to help you see that. I guess I failed. If you want to waste your time on such nonsense and give folks who perpetrate such crap a green light, fair enough, but it won't just be your loss.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

m0zart

Exists in what sense? Should all people be treated equally in the sight of the law? Yes. Are all people actually equal? I guess that depends on what aspect of equality you are referring to. Certainly there is much to do to ensure that all people are treated equally under the law.

I disagree with you about your assertion there at the end in any case, very strongly in fact. I think seeing racism and discrimination in anything and everything and acting as an activist for such things whenever you can regardless of the merits of the case, only serves to weaken the various movements dealing with real problems. It wastes time, resources, energy, and credibility; in other words, it makes them look "bad". It makes it very easy for those who care nothing for the overall agenda to criticize that agenda, giving them real amunition to do so.

Part of my little staging there was intended to help you see that. I guess I failed. If you want to waste your time on such nonsense and give folks who perpetrate such crap a green light, fair enough, but it won't just be your loss.

I agree that, there are those that do it, might being counter-productive but you haven't offered a real example to highlight your point, I've been speaking generally, and it seems that those who are so staunch in their beliefs that 'something isn't a big deal' are usually populated by a combination of either or wholly being straight, white, men.

That is my problem. So for me, I tend not to look at those who are being sensitive, but those who are being insensitive. That is the larger issue at hand, creating labels for the sensitive, is not what we should be focusing on.