What Disney/Pixar films did you enjoy/dislike in recent years?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1094 posts) -

So in no particular order I'll list the ones that stood out to me in more recent years, then I'll list the ones that I didn't particularly care for. Keep in mind I haven't watched everything.

Enjoyed:

Zootopia

Big Hero 6

Tangled

Wreck it Ralph

Monsters University

Disliked:

Frozen

Inside Out

Finding Dory

#2 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43039 posts) -

Princess and the Frog was great! Loved the return to traditional animation, wish they'd do more of it...but apparently it doesn't capture the young'un's attention enough *shrug*

Coco was great. A real tearjerker.

Inside Out was incredibly entertaining as well, I love how they took actual psychology and made this hilarious, touching, and insightful movie. It's OK to be sad, people! Critical, even!

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (30696 posts) -

Up was hilarious, weird and had that the feels.

Wasn't too keen on Wreck it Ralph or Monsters University,

#4 Posted by Speeny (1094 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: I wish they'd go back to traditional animation every now and then as well. Apparently Princess & The Frog didn't do well and that was kind of their last film in 2D. (I believe Winnie the Pooh was also one of their last.)

Apparently Frozen was going to be 2D initially. Pretty interesting trying to envision it.

#5 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1064 posts) -

Kind of liked some of the few I watched, but, you know what, **** 'em both. If it's CG, I probably won't even watch it anymore. Sick of that artificial feeling, overdetailed crap. I would never want to archive one of those movies, unlike traditional animation.

#6 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43039 posts) -

@speeny said:

@mrbojangles25: I wish they'd go back to traditional animation every now and then as well. Apparently Princess & The Frog didn't do well and that was kind of their last film in 2D. (I believe Winnie the Pooh was also one of their last.)

Apparently Frozen was going to be 2D initially. Pretty interesting trying to envision it.

I read that too and it completely blows my mind! Everything about Princess and the Frog was great! the music, the actors, the characters, the silky-smooth animation. I mean a "kiss-the-frog" fairy tale done in New Orleans, paying homage to the cultural melting pot down there with cajun, creole, French, Jazz and Zydeco...I just don't see what's not to love :(

#7 Posted by Speeny (1094 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Unrelated but, love Cajun food. Always make a batch of Cajun seasoning to put on anything.

#8 Posted by jango_p (7 posts) -

Frozen, Up, Toy Story 3 (which I honestly think should've been the last movie in the franchise).

#9 Posted by shellcase86 (4252 posts) -

Liked: Pretty much everything I've seen.

Haven't seen: Moana, Coco, Wreck It Ralph 2

#10 Posted by Jackamomo (1629 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Dr John did music for Princess and the Frog, one of my favourite musicians. A new orleans jazz pianist par excellence.

#11 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25288 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Princess and the Frog was great! Loved the return to traditional animation, wish they'd do more of it...but apparently it doesn't capture the young'un's attention enough *shrug*

The only thing I enjoyed about princess and the frog was Keith David's performance.

#12 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43039 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

@mrbojangles25: Dr John did music for Princess and the Frog, one of my favourite musicians. A new orleans jazz pianist par excellence.

Dr John is great.

Might want to check out: Galactic, Dumpstaphunk, etc

#13 Posted by mattbbpl (16642 posts) -

It's easier for me to list ones that I didn't like.

Frozen wasn't my cup of tea. I hate Cars 1/2/3 and everything they stand for. The Good Dinosaur was a giant disappointment.

I don't expect to much disagreement there, but I do on these next two: I am not a fan of Finding Nemo or Finding Dory. I probably should be, but I don't get what people see in them.

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (97651 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Coco was great. A real tearjerker.

Coco had me full ugly-crying at the end. One of Pixar's best films.

Moana and Zootopia are my other favourites.

#15 Posted by Jag85 (12728 posts) -

My top 5 in the last decade or so:

WALL-E

Tangled

Wreck-it Ralph

Frozen

Big Hero 6

#16 Posted by revceo (4 posts) -

@Jag85: Big Hero 6

<3

#17 Posted by Speeny (1094 posts) -

@mattbbpl: Don’t worry, I’m not a huge fan of Finding Nemo/Finding Dory either.

Finding Dory imo didn’t even feel like a sequel. More like a filler kind of movie BEFORE the sequel. Lol