What can the U.S> do to stop the over-dependence on outsourcing?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] ........ And if a country didn't devalue their currency their exports would be less............So, by devaluing their currency they increased their exports.

No...if everyone devalues at the same time nothing changes. It's called a currency war.

I really have to explain this? Say manipulating currency increases exports by 5%.......... Every other country manipulates currency as well and will reduce your exports by 5%...... Now if you do not manipulate your currency your exports will fall by 5%........ Conclusion....by manipulating your currency you increase your exports.

No..if every country is devaluing their currency 5% and you follow....the status quo doesn't change. Nothing was solved except a currency war which often results in a trade war including protections, tariffs, etc.
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Canon-Gatorade
Member since 2013 • 153 Posts
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]No...if everyone devalues at the same time nothing changes. It's called a currency war.KC_Hokie
I really have to explain this? Say manipulating currency increases exports by 5%.......... Every other country manipulates currency as well and will reduce your exports by 5%...... Now if you do not manipulate your currency your exports will fall by 5%........ Conclusion....by manipulating your currency you increase your exports.

No..if every country is devaluing their currency 5% and you follow....the status quo doesn't change. Nothing was solved except a currency war which often results in a trade war including protections, tariffs, etc.

I don't remember this in my economics class.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]No...if everyone devalues at the same time nothing changes. It's called a currency war.KC_Hokie

Wow.......... Without currency manipulation your exports fall. So, what does currency manipulation do............
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Kc, thoughts on general tariffs?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] I really have to explain this? Say manipulating currency increases exports by 5%.......... Every other country manipulates currency as well and will reduce your exports by 5%...... Now if you do not manipulate your currency your exports will fall by 5%........ Conclusion....by manipulating your currency you increase your exports.

Wow.......... Without currency manipulation your exports fall. So, what does currency manipulation do............

My point is if everyone drops the same percentage the status quo doesn't change. A country's wealth or purchasing power doesn't change. So nothing gets solved.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 KC_Hokie
Kc, thoughts on general tariffs?dave123321
Terrible idea. Trade wars historically often resulted in real ones with bullets.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Mafiree
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]No..if every country is devaluing their currency 5% and you follow....the status quo doesn't change. Nothing was solved except a currency war which often results in a trade war including protections, tariffs, etc.KC_Hokie

My point is if everyone drops the same percentage the status quo doesn't change. A country's wealth or purchasing power doesn't change. So nothing gets solved.

"Every country is devaluing their currency right now except Switzerland trying to increase exports. It's not working since everyone is doing it." Well........That was your quote.....
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] Wow.......... Without currency manipulation your exports fall. So, what does currency manipulation do............Mafiree

"Every country is devaluing their currency right now except Switzerland trying to increase exports. It's not working since everyone is doing it." Well........That was your quote.....

Yea. Just like I said every reserve currency in the world is attempting the same thing in terms of currency devaluing. So nothing will get solved by copying that devaluation.

EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]My point is if everyone drops the same percentage the status quo doesn't change. A country's wealth or purchasing power doesn't change. So nothing gets solved.KC_Hokie

Yea. Just like I said every reserve currency in the world is attempting the same thing in terms of currency devaluing. So nothing will get solved by copying that devaluing.

FFS except if everyone else but the us does it guess what the outcome is
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Mafiree
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]My point is if everyone drops the same percentage the status quo doesn't change. A country's wealth or purchasing power doesn't change. So nothing gets solved.KC_Hokie

Yea. Just like I said every reserve currency in the world is attempting the same thing in terms of currency devaluing. So nothing will get solved by copying that devaluing.

And by doing so they are increasing their exports relative to no action. So it "is" working........
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] "Every country is devaluing their currency right now except Switzerland trying to increase exports. It's not working since everyone is doing it." Well........That was your quote..... EmpCom

FFS except if everyone else but the us does it guess what the outcome is

Purchasing power goes up if we keep our currency steady.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] "Every country is devaluing their currency right now except Switzerland trying to increase exports. It's not working since everyone is doing it." Well........That was your quote.....

And by doing so they are increasing their exports relative to no action. So it "is" working........

The status quo for fixing the economy isn't going to work.
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Yea. Just like I said every reserve currency in the world is attempting the same thing in terms of currency devaluing. So nothing will get solved by copying that devaluing. KC_Hokie

Ok, so what WOULD work?
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 EmpCom
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] And by doing so they are increasing their exports relative to no action. So it "is" working........Canon-Gatorade

Ok, so what WOULD work?

Do you ever do anything but ask ?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] And by doing so they are increasing their exports relative to no action. So it "is" working........Canon-Gatorade

Ok, so what WOULD work?

The world is more competitive than it's ever been. So in order to be more competitive we need less government (fewer taxes, size of government, regulations, as percentage of economy).Get a higher percentage of our economy being non-government. Government as a percent of GDP is 10% higher than it was in the 90s.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The status quo for fixing the economy isn't going to work. KC_Hokie

Ok, so what WOULD work?

The world is more competitive than it's ever been. So in order to be more competitive we need less government (fewer taxes, size of government, regulations, as percentage of economy).Get a higher percentage of our economy being non-government. Government as a percent of GDP is 10% higher than it was in the 90s.

This is absolutely true. 

But we should've had this all the time, not just now because it's competitive.  And it's not about competitiveness as much as success and a blooming economy.

But you are right about less government.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"]Ok, so what WOULD work?GOGOGOGURT

This is absolutely true. 

But we should've had this all the time, not just now because it's competitive.  And it's not about competitiveness as much as success and a blooming economy.

Problem is Obama doesn't understand the concept of less government and less spending. Competition to him means spending or 'investing' taxpayers money into his pet projects.

So we're in a WOS over the next four years.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The status quo for fixing the economy isn't going to work. EmpCom
Ok, so what WOULD work?

\ There's a reason why I am asking, you will find out how important what I am doing is during these next 3ish years.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] Ok, so what WOULD work?Canon-Gatorade

\ There's a reason why I am asking, you will find out how important what I am doing is during these next 3ish years.

I bet i dont
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] Ok, so what WOULD work?Canon-Gatorade

Not sure what project you're working on but one of the few countries in the world run by classical liberals doing what I suggested is Estonia.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The world is more competitive than it's ever been. So in order to be more competitive we need less government (fewer taxes, size of government, regulations, as percentage of economy).Get a higher percentage of our economy being non-government. Government as a percent of GDP is 10% higher than it was in the 90s.

KC_Hokie

This is absolutely true. 

Problem is Obama doesn't understand the concept of less government and less spending. Competition to him means spending or 'investing' taxpayers money into his pet projects.

Actually, no politicians have the balls to make cuts to actually make a difference.  It's going to have to get a lot worse for that to happen.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Mafiree
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Yea. Just like I said every reserve currency in the world is attempting the same thing in terms of currency devaluing. So nothing will get solved by copying that devaluing. KC_Hokie

And making it worse isn't a better course of action..........
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

This is absolutely true. 

GOGOGOGURT

Actually, no politicians have the balls to make cuts to actually make a difference.  It's going to have to get a lot worse for that to happen.

"Era of big government is over" - President Bill Clinton, 1996

Wish that guy could take over.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] And by doing so they are increasing their exports relative to no action. So it "is" working........

Why would it be worse if our purchasing power went up while simultaneously cutting government and government spending?
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Problem is Obama doesn't understand the concept of less government and less spending. Competition to him means spending or 'investing' taxpayers money into his pet projects.

KC_Hokie

If only he walked the talk.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Do you ever do anything but ask ?EmpCom

I bet i dont

It will unless you love Obama and want another one of him running for office.
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Canon-Gatorade

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

This is absolutely true. 

GOGOGOGURT

That's because to them there are no benefits in doing so. Are there?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

GOGOGOGURT

He did. He reduced the size of government and government spending was low. He reduced taxes such as the capital gains taxes which sparked investment in the economy.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] \ There's a reason why I am asking, you will find out how important what I am doing is during these next 3ish years.Canon-Gatorade
I bet i dont

Yeah because anything you do will have any impact on who is or is not elected in the us,
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] I bet i dontEmpCom

Yeah because anything you do will have any impact on who is or is not elected in the us,

Yes it could. But since the point is flying right by you, I'll just get back on topic, I am sensing negative vibes.
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]"Era of big government is over" - President Bill Clinton, 1996

KC_Hokie

He did. He reduced the size of government and government spending was low. He reduced taxes such as the capital gains taxes which sparked investment in the economy.

And then gave him and the country a bad image a short-time after.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

Canon-Gatorade

I suppose. No one remembers that though...they remember economic prosperity.

People now think of Obama as being charismatic and all but in the future people will look back and see huge government, government spending up, mishandled economy, pet projects that went bankrupt, etc.

EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] It will unless you love Obama and want another one of him running for office.Canon-Gatorade

Yes it could. But since the point is flying right by you, I'll just get back on topic, I am sensing negative vibes.

And i sense you may have an overinflated idea of your own importance but is this due to a low iq or a young age
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Mafiree

[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The status quo for fixing the economy isn't going to work. KC_Hokie

Why would it be worse if our purchasing power went up while simultaneously cutting government and government spending?

If US currency can buy more goods in south-east Asia that will only enchance the supposed problem (outsourcing)........

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Yeah because anything you do will have any impact on who is or is not elected in the us, EmpCom

And i sense you may have an overinflated idea of your own importance but is this due to a low iq or a young age

So what you are saying is that say.... For example, just for example, if Mitt Romney where to run again in 2006, he would have no impact on who is or is not elected?
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Canon-Gatorade

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]He did. He reduced the size of government and government spending was low. He reduced taxes such as the capital gains taxes which sparked investment in the economy. KC_Hokie

I suppose. No one remembers that though...they remember economic prosperity.

People now think of Obama as being charismatic and all but in the future people will look back and see huge government, government spending up, mishandled economy, pet projects that went bankrupt, etc.

Spetzer did the same thing (i think I spelled it wrong) and everyone seemed to remember quite well instantly comparing him to bill clinton. He is often underrated like Nixon was because of this.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] And making it worse isn't a better course of action..........Mafiree

If US currency can buy more goods in south-east Asia that will only exasperate the supposed problem (outsourcing)........

Not if government spending and corporate taxes were lowered. We haven't made the stuff they make over there for a long time now.

We should target a high tech economy. And having a higher purchasing power relative to the world won't hurt us at all in that area. It would allow our standard of living to remain while potentially dropping elsewhere as well.

I don't see anything good from matching the devaluation going on. It's not like we export much anyways. And what we do (commodities, planes, high tech, etc.) have little competition anyways.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

this thread got weird.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 KC_Hokie

this thread got weird.

MakeMeaSammitch
shut up go makemeasammitch
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] Yes it could. But since the point is flying right by you, I'll just get back on topic, I am sensing negative vibes.Canon-Gatorade

So what you are saying is that say.... For example, just for example, if Mitt Romney where to run again in 2006, he would have no impact on who is or is not elected?

1, You are not mitt romney 2, You mean 2016 not 2006
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Canon-Gatorade

this thread got weird.

MakeMeaSammitch
How? It's still on topic.
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] And i sense you may have an overinflated idea of your own importance but is this due to a low iq or a young ageEmpCom

If you replace mitt romney with some random person running it's the same thing, they do have an impact.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 EmpCom

[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Why would it be worse if our purchasing power went up while simultaneously cutting government and government spending?KC_Hokie

If US currency can buy more goods in south-east Asia that will only exasperate the supposed problem (outsourcing)........

Not if government spending and corporate taxes were lowered. We haven't made the stuff they make over there for a long time now.

We should target a high tech economy. And having a higher purchasing power relative to the world won't hurt us at all in that area. It would allow our standard of living to remain while potentially dropping elsewhere as well.

I don't see anything good from matching the devaluation going on. It's not like we export much anyways. And what we do (commodities, planes, high tech, etc.) have little competition anyways.

Yeah its not like as you say you export much being the worlds 2nd largest exporter
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] So what you are saying is that say.... For example, just for example, if Mitt Romney where to run again in 2006, he would have no impact on who is or is not elected?Canon-Gatorade

If you replace mitt romney with some random person running it's the same thing, they do have an impact.

None of which are you
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Mafiree"] If US currency can buy more goods in south-east Asia that will only exasperate the supposed problem (outsourcing)........EmpCom

Yeah its not like as you say you export much being the worlds 2nd largest exporter

Like I said the stuff we export now won't be affected by an increase in currency price. We don't exactly compete with many countries in the few areas we do export heavily (commodities and hi tech mainly).
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 EmpCom
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Not if government spending and corporate taxes were lowered. We haven't made the stuff they make over there for a long time now.

Like I said the stuff we export now won't be affected by an increase in currency price. We don't exactly compete with many countries in the few areas we do export heavily (commodities and hi tech mainly).

What you said was "It's not like we export much anyways"
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] 1, You are not mitt romney 2, You mean 2016 not 2006EmpCom

None of which are you

You know I am not the latter how? May I see your crystal ball?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Yeah its not like as you say you export much being the worlds 2nd largest exporterEmpCom

What you said was "It's not like we export much anyways"

Not much variety is what I meant. It's all high tech, highly refined, or commodities.

So if we didn't devalue our currency as well it wouldn't hurt the few industries we do export. And it's not going to be a significant increase in purchasing power if we don't devalue our currency in the first place.

EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] If you replace mitt romney with some random person running it's the same thing, they do have an impact.Canon-Gatorade
None of which are you

You know I am not the latter how? May I see your crystal ball?

The fact you are on gamespot asking economic advice is a big clue
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Mafiree

[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Why would it be worse if our purchasing power went up while simultaneously cutting government and government spending?KC_Hokie

Planes aren't competitive? Boeing vs Airbus.......