What are your thoughts on social influencers?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Have any stories involving social influencers? Do you follow any?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58942 Posts

See that Logan and Jake Paul pop up now and again.

These people are vile. I don't get it.

I mean, the guy took a tourist trip to see someone who committed suicide in Japan, for Youtube content, for kids. He runs crypto scams, multiple. Among other stuff that makes them gaint pieces of shit.

But, multi-millionaires and apparently parents and young adults love them? Even though they are transparently human trash?

Meh. Not much can do about it, sadly.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if a couple of years from now he is ousted for some Jefferey Episien type shit. In fact, I'd say it's a certainty he's done some proper seedy shit abusing his power, with some goobers who knew full well what's he's done but kept quiet due to $$$.

Loading Video...

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I don't dislike the idea of social influencers, but it depends who it is.

I mean, if I could make money being a social influencer, I would. I like my day job, but it's not gonna make me rich any time soon.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Narcissists that like to take credit for what other talents provide them. I've run into quite a few of them that are cheap and shady as **** that like to justify a free collaboration as a means for "exposure". I've seen how some of these people will pay certain people under the table - usually pay the ones that have high follower counts - yet not pay others that have lesser influence.

These are the same people that complain about the 9 to 5 job and say bosses are horrible yet they're no better when they try to get free service out of those that they use for their own gains.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

No. Fake job for fake people.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Don't follow any of them to really form a strong opinion but they come off as privileged rich kids that would do anything to get more clicks.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Not a fan of them. Some are good like social influences that promote health and fitness, mental health.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

Effective but abhorrent because it is not marked as paid content. The FCC should be involved.

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

Influencers? No, i dont like them too much (majority), espicially those that make a living out of YT ad revenue instead of getting a real job like normal people, those are most defiently gonna be manipulaters/ scammers, especially when you consider that most of social media users are kids/teens, little fools who will get scammed by known influenceres are very common have you heard anything regarding that matter?

But to not be harsh, some influencers are actually Good .

ZombieVirolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By ZombieVirolina
Member since 2013 • 859 Posts

I blame the people who enable them more than the actual people. They wouldn't exist if people didn't pay any attention to them.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

I can’t stand the fact that “social influencer” is even a term we use nowadays and something people aspire to. Most people that want to be an influencer in my experience have no skills or anything to offer to society or a workplace so they turn to getting likes on the internet as a source of fulfillment. I dated a girl who thought she was one/tried to be one and it disgusted me how every date we went on she had her phone out to post it or take a selfie, or would stay up late at night checking her posts and editing photos for Instagram… anyways I’m ranting lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I think social influencers were bad back before the internet existed. We didn't call them social influencers, we just called them "the cool kids" or whatever. Kids in school would just sort of follow them around, do what they did/said, etc.

But that has only gotten worse. The whole frenzy that people get whipped into to buy this guy's drink (I think it is Logan Paul?) is just disgusting. Far worse than any Black Friday massacres.

I don't like it. I don't like how it's often a con, or used by corporations. I think it's stupid and I think it gives people a platform that shouldn't have one.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44156 Posts

Honestly there’s always been “social influencers” they were just celebrities paid to advertise products and even just people in one’s own circle of friends whom others looked up to and what not. The only difference these days is that the internet allowed for these people to extend their sphere of influence drastically. I don’t really have any issue with them myself. I just watch what I like or am interested in. Really just watch Maximilian Dood but he seems more of what you would call a “content creator” as he really just mainly plays games that he is interested in. I just like seeing him enjoy the kind of games that I enjoy.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sancho_Panzer  Online
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Parasites. The ones who openly self-identify as influencers baffle me especially. Now that's just tragic.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

nothing like being a shill for someone else's products