What are the benefits for a man to get married?

  • 87 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mingmao3046
#1 Posted by mingmao3046 (2683 posts) -

I can't think of any.....are there any? I don't think so

Avatar image for Flubbbs
#2 Posted by Flubbbs (4868 posts) -

none

Avatar image for themajormayor
#3 Posted by themajormayor (25617 posts) -

Are there any benefits for the woman?

Avatar image for Master_Live
#4 Posted by Master_Live (18817 posts) -

Higher societal esteem.

Avatar image for mingmao3046
#5 Edited by mingmao3046 (2683 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Are there any benefits for the woman?

gets a pretty ring

fairy tale wedding

if she gets bored and leaves she will wipe the floor in the divorce settlements

women have nothing to lose with marriage. men have everything to lose

Avatar image for lightleggy
#6 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

Are there any benefits for the woman?.

People get married because they want and because they like it, You shouldn't need another reason. If you don't want to get married, then don't get married, that's your beef.

Avatar image for DreamingMind
#7 Edited by DreamingMind (60 posts) -

Let me put it this way;

I know a man who has had sex about 3000 times during the 7 years he has been married. How much sex did YOU have in the past 7 years?

Avatar image for -Renegade
#8 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@DreamingMind said:

Let me put it this way;

I know a man who has had sex about 3000 times during the 7 years he has been married. How much sex did YOU have in the past 7 years?

could have had sex with 3000 different women, sounds better to me. there is no benefit to the male at all to get married.

Avatar image for lightleggy
#9 Edited by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@-Renegade said:

@DreamingMind said:

Let me put it this way;

I know a man who has had sex about 3000 times during the 7 years he has been married. How much sex did YOU have in the past 7 years?

could have had sex with 3000 different women, sounds better to me. there is no benefit to the male at all to get married.

And there's no benefit in staying single either, but some people do it because they want.

Also sex with 3000 woman sounds a bit unhealthy to me.

Avatar image for -Renegade
#10 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

@-Renegade said:

@DreamingMind said:

Let me put it this way;

I know a man who has had sex about 3000 times during the 7 years he has been married. How much sex did YOU have in the past 7 years?

could have had sex with 3000 different women, sounds better to me. there is no benefit to the male at all to get married.

And there's no benefit in staying single either, but some people do it because they want.

Also sex with 3000 woman sounds a bit unhealthy to me.

no benefit to being able to have sex with whoever you want whenever you want. :rolls eyes: okay.

Avatar image for plageus900
#11 Posted by plageus900 (2369 posts) -

Aside from loving each other, which you should, being married includes tax benefits and in some cases, it increases your credit score. In the Air Force, I was paid an extra $200 a month for being married.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#12 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15126 posts) -

@DreamingMind said:

Let me put it this way;

I know a man who has had sex about 3000 times during the 7 years he has been married. How much sex did YOU have in the past 7 years?

I've had more sex since I got divorced than I ever did when I was married.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#13 Edited by foxhound_fox (96814 posts) -

The only true benefits of marriage are garnered by the children that result from a relationship.

Avatar image for -Renegade
#14 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

Aside from loving each other, which you should, being married includes tax benefits and in some cases, it increases your credit score. In the Air Force, I was paid an extra $200 a month for being married.

and if she gets bored with you she takes half of everything you got. doesn't sound worth it to me.

Avatar image for wiifan001
#15 Posted by wiifan001 (18653 posts) -

Children is about the only thing I can think of...

Avatar image for cain006
#16 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

If the dude is marrying someone who has more money than him then he can make off with lots of money. Like that dude Britney Spears married who was just a backup dancer.

Avatar image for lightleggy
#17 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@-Renegade said:

@lightleggy said:

@-Renegade said:

@DreamingMind said:

Let me put it this way;

I know a man who has had sex about 3000 times during the 7 years he has been married. How much sex did YOU have in the past 7 years?

could have had sex with 3000 different women, sounds better to me. there is no benefit to the male at all to get married.

And there's no benefit in staying single either, but some people do it because they want.

Also sex with 3000 woman sounds a bit unhealthy to me.

no benefit to being able to have sex with whoever you want whenever you want. :rolls eyes: okay.

You do know that not everyone is interested in fcking everything that moves right?

Avatar image for lightleggy
#18 Edited by lightleggy (16090 posts) -
@-Renegade said:

@plageus900 said:

Aside from loving each other, which you should, being married includes tax benefits and in some cases, it increases your credit score. In the Air Force, I was paid an extra $200 a month for being married.

and if she gets bored with you she takes half of everything you got. doesn't sound worth it to me.

So don't marry someone you've known for only half a year?

See, this is what I don't like about "anti-marriage" people, they always fail to view things from a different perspective, it's always only on theirs, so no wonder they hate getting married.

You're not supposed to marry a person you've only known for a year or so, or to marry on impulse, it's not a decision to take lightly, I mean, if you get married, and then 6 months later you find out that your wife used to be a stripper at the local nightclub, I'm sorry to tell you: but you did something terribly wrong.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#19 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15126 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

So don't marry someone you've known for only half a year?

See, this is what I don't like about "anti-marriage" people, they always fail to view things from a different perspective, it's always only on theirs, so no wonder they hate getting married.

You're not supposed to marry a person you've only known for a year or so, or to marry on impulse, it's not a decision to take lightly, I mean, if you get married, and then 6 months later you find out that your wife used to be a stripper at the local nightclub, I'm sorry to tell you: but you did something terribly wrong.

I married a girl I had known for a decade. She never did me wrong and we always got along. Then after five years of marriage I catch her cheating.

That's not hypothetical, that's history.

I'm in a LTR right now with a woman who has her own house five minutes from mine. I like this arrangement much, much better than being up each others ass 24/7.

Avatar image for perfect_blue
#20 Edited by Perfect_Blue (30068 posts) -

OP is a virgin that reads misc and considers it gospel smh

Avatar image for -paranorman-
#21 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (1472 posts) -

The man get's the girl he wants to spend the rest of his life with. That's the biggest benefit. Marriage isn't a curse. The man and woman CHOOSE to marry. You can always say no lol. Who the hell is going to say yes to someone they hate or don't want to marry? The only way I can see it being a curse or something bad is in 3rd world countries where your parents choose who you marry.

Avatar image for lightleggy
#22 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@lightleggy said:

So don't marry someone you've known for only half a year?

See, this is what I don't like about "anti-marriage" people, they always fail to view things from a different perspective, it's always only on theirs, so no wonder they hate getting married.

You're not supposed to marry a person you've only known for a year or so, or to marry on impulse, it's not a decision to take lightly, I mean, if you get married, and then 6 months later you find out that your wife used to be a stripper at the local nightclub, I'm sorry to tell you: but you did something terribly wrong.

I married a girl I had known for a decade. She never did me wrong and we always got along. Then after five years of marriage I catch her cheating.

That's not hypothetical, that's history.

I'm in a LTR right now with a woman who has her own house five minutes from mine. I like this arrangement much, much better than being up each others ass 24/7.

OK, if that makes you happy, then great.

Some people do like marriage, others don't, is that really so hard to grasp?

Avatar image for DreamingMind
#23 Edited by DreamingMind (60 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@DreamingMind said:

Let me put it this way;

I know a man who has had sex about 3000 times during the 7 years he has been married. How much sex did YOU have in the past 7 years?

I've had more sex since I got divorced than I ever did when I was married.

Maybe that's why you've got divorced? Just saying...

It's sheer numbers guys, married people have a steady supply of sex. If you are married to the woman you want to sex up the most, then no single guy can beat your numbers unless they whore themselves out or something.

Just think about it, you're married to the perfect girl. You can then proceed to sex her every time you want, bypassing all that meeting, dating, etc stuff that can be time-consuming.

Only reason NOT to be monogamous is if people prefer variety over quality AND quantity combined.

(That's just my humble opinion though)

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#24 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15126 posts) -

@DreamingMind said:

Maybe that's why you've got divorced? Just saying...

Nope. Nothing to do with it.

Just think about it, you're married to the perfect girl. You can then proceed to sex her every time you want

Hahaha, you've obviously never been married.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#25 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15126 posts) -
@lightleggy said:

OK, if that makes you happy, then great.

Some people do like marriage, others don't, is that really so hard to grasp?

Take your own advice: you're the one who dropped in here "What I don't like about anti-marriage folks..."

Avatar image for lightleggy
#26 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@lightleggy said:

OK, if that makes you happy, then great.

Some people do like marriage, others don't, is that really so hard to grasp?

Take your own advice: you're the one who dropped in here "What I don't like about anti-marriage folks..."

Which I still hold.

That guy simply said he hates marriage because if the girl gets bored she'll leave and take your stuff. In your case (anecdotal evidence btw) the girl cheated on you, which should have gave you a legal advantage to prevent the situation that our partner here was talking about.

What I said was also more along the lines of: Not everyone likes the same thing, if that guy wants to have sex with anyone he meets, it's his beef, if he doesn't want to get married, it's his beef. So he shouldn't go around shouting that everyone is in love with the lifestyle he likes.

Avatar image for -paranorman-
#27 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (1472 posts) -

Marriage benefits both the man and woman because at that point in their lives, they want to be married to one another. What happens to break up the marriage though is an entirely different story and usually ends up being a bad end for the man, but that is either one or both of their faults and depending on the situation and who gets bit, they deserved it. Men have rights too and can legally battle against the whole woman gets 50% of everything crap.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#28 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15126 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

@br0kenrabbit said:
@lightleggy said:

OK, if that makes you happy, then great.

Some people do like marriage, others don't, is that really so hard to grasp?

Take your own advice: you're the one who dropped in here "What I don't like about anti-marriage folks..."

Which I still hold.

That guy simply said he hates marriage because if the girl gets bored she'll leave and take your stuff. In your case (anecdotal evidence btw) the girl cheated on you, which should have gave you a legal advantage to prevent the situation that our partner here was talking about.

What I said was also more along the lines of: Not everyone likes the same thing, if that guy wants to have sex with anyone he meets, it's his beef, if he doesn't want to get married, it's his beef. So he shouldn't go around shouting that everyone is in love with the lifestyle he likes.

It doesn't give you a legal advantage. I was faithful, she cheated, she got the house and half my stuff. If I had stayed in Canada I would have to be paying her alimony FOR LIFE.

It wasn't some shitty little house, either.

That's the reason I packed up and came back to the States because **** supporting that cheating bitch.

There is no benefit to a man to get married: you risk everything and thank God we didn't have kids because 3/4 of the time the woman gets primary custody regardless.

If things were more legally fair I wouldn't be so up-in-arms over it, but when a divorce happens it's typically the man that ends up paying out.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#29 Edited by lamprey263 (34512 posts) -

depends what you bring into the marriage

if you're marrying a woman who's hot, horny, and rich and generous, there's a lot to gain I'd say

Avatar image for -paranorman-
#30 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (1472 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

if you're marrying a woman who's hot, horny, and rich and generous, there's a lot to gain I'd say

Lol! We can only dream.

Avatar image for DreamingMind
#31 Edited by DreamingMind (60 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@lightleggy said:

@br0kenrabbit said:
@lightleggy said:

OK, if that makes you happy, then great.

Some people do like marriage, others don't, is that really so hard to grasp?

Take your own advice: you're the one who dropped in here "What I don't like about anti-marriage folks..."

Which I still hold.

That guy simply said he hates marriage because if the girl gets bored she'll leave and take your stuff. In your case (anecdotal evidence btw) the girl cheated on you, which should have gave you a legal advantage to prevent the situation that our partner here was talking about.

What I said was also more along the lines of: Not everyone likes the same thing, if that guy wants to have sex with anyone he meets, it's his beef, if he doesn't want to get married, it's his beef. So he shouldn't go around shouting that everyone is in love with the lifestyle he likes.

It doesn't give you a legal advantage. I was faithful, she cheated, she got the house and half my stuff. If I had stayed in Canada I would have to be paying her alimony FOR LIFE.

It wasn't some shitty little house, either.

That's the reason I packed up and came back to the States because **** supporting that cheating bitch.

There is no benefit to a man to get married: you risk everything and thank God we didn't have kids because 3/4 of the time the woman gets primary custody regardless.

If things were more legally fair I wouldn't be so up-in-arms over it, but when a divorce happens it's typically the man that ends up paying out.

:(((((

Man this sucks. I feel for you 100%

I would probably have the same attitude if I had been treated like that by my wife.

As for myself, I am happily married, so at least my words come from my personal experience.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#32 Posted by foxhound_fox (96814 posts) -
@br0kenrabbit said:thank God we didn't have kids because 3/4 of the time the woman gets primary custody regardless.

And people wonder why sexism isn't dead.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#33 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15126 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

And people wonder why sexism isn't dead.

It's alive and well. Hell, I was out a few weeks ago and witnessed this man and woman arguing between the pool tables. She finally walks up and punches him and everyone was just like "ooooooooo". He shakes it off after a few seconds and then punches her back, and then suddenly everyone is going after him.

Avatar image for k2theswiss
#34 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

the cons out weight the pro's

pro

  • may get a tax break depending on each other wage
  • may result in little better relationship of course that truly depends on the person
  • if you die your shit don't get seized by the state and put in storage until a judge decides who gets it
  • Break on insurance

con

  • may have to pay more tax depending on your wages
  • living hell if it goes south
  • getting divorces cost butt load of money for no reason and takes time
  • no matter if you bought everything with your money shit get split up
  • if you are a male There far more chance of you getting screwed, because mother will get most of the custody of the kids and if that happens they pretty much getting the house to
  • alimony ~ biggest joke in the entire world...
Avatar image for k2theswiss
#35 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@foxhound_fox said:

And people wonder why sexism isn't dead.

It's alive and well. Hell, I was out a few weeks ago and witnessed this man and woman arguing between the pool tables. She finally walks up and punches him and everyone was just like "ooooooooo". He shakes it off after a few seconds and then punches her back, and then suddenly everyone is going after him.

ya, that shit pisses me off. Once a female hits first, She loses that advantage in my eyes and is going get tossed like a ragdoll

Avatar image for mingmao3046
#37 Posted by mingmao3046 (2683 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

OP is a virgin that reads misc and considers it gospel smh

Not a virgin but whatever makes you feel better about yourself

Avatar image for ad1x2
#38 Posted by ad1x2 (6649 posts) -

In all honesty, if you don't have some traditional reason of some type to get married then most of the benefits are strictly from a government point of view.

If you are in the military and not of a higher rank it could be your ticket out of the barracks (think dorm rooms but with troops instead of college kids) and free medical for your significant other. Although there is the side effect of adultery being a punishable offense under the UCMJ.

From an immigration point of view it could be what you need to get your significant other a visa. Especially if they are from a third world country that is otherwise nearly impossible to immigrate from.

Avatar image for mingmao3046
#39 Posted by mingmao3046 (2683 posts) -

@DreamingMind said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@DreamingMind said:

Let me put it this way;

I know a man who has had sex about 3000 times during the 7 years he has been married. How much sex did YOU have in the past 7 years?

I've had more sex since I got divorced than I ever did when I was married.

Maybe that's why you've got divorced? Just saying...

It's sheer numbers guys, married people have a steady supply of sex. If you are married to the woman you want to sex up the most, then no single guy can beat your numbers unless they whore themselves out or something.

Just think about it, you're married to the perfect girl. You can then proceed to sex her every time you want, bypassing all that meeting, dating, etc stuff that can be time-consuming.

Only reason NOT to be monogamous is if people prefer variety over quality AND quantity combined.

(That's just my humble opinion though)

LMFAO. tell that to all the guys whos wives with-hold sex from them

Avatar image for mingmao3046
#40 Posted by mingmao3046 (2683 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

Marriage benefits both the man and woman because at that point in their lives, they want to be married to one another. What happens to break up the marriage though is an entirely different story and usually ends up being a bad end for the man, but that is either one or both of their faults and depending on the situation and who gets bit, they deserved it. Men have rights too and can legally battle against the whole woman gets 50% of everything crap.

But what is the benefit of getting married? You dont need the government involved to love eachother

Avatar image for one_plum
#41 Posted by one_plum (6505 posts) -

@mingmao3046 said:

@-paranorman- said:

Marriage benefits both the man and woman because at that point in their lives, they want to be married to one another. What happens to break up the marriage though is an entirely different story and usually ends up being a bad end for the man, but that is either one or both of their faults and depending on the situation and who gets bit, they deserved it. Men have rights too and can legally battle against the whole woman gets 50% of everything crap.

But what is the benefit of getting married? You dont need the government involved to love eachother

It's a social recognition of two people loving each other.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#42 Posted by foxhound_fox (96814 posts) -
@roulettethedog said:

not dying alone

Everyone dies alone.

Avatar image for mingmao3046
#43 Posted by mingmao3046 (2683 posts) -

@one_plum said:

@mingmao3046 said:

@-paranorman- said:

Marriage benefits both the man and woman because at that point in their lives, they want to be married to one another. What happens to break up the marriage though is an entirely different story and usually ends up being a bad end for the man, but that is either one or both of their faults and depending on the situation and who gets bit, they deserved it. Men have rights too and can legally battle against the whole woman gets 50% of everything crap.

But what is the benefit of getting married? You dont need the government involved to love eachother

It's a social recognition of two people loving each other.

"A social recognition" aka- nothing actually changes

Avatar image for Master_Live
#44 Posted by Master_Live (18817 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:
@roulettethedog said:

not dying alone

Everyone dies alone.

Is that so?

Avatar image for chernoalpha527
#45 Posted by chernoalpha527 (169 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

The man get's the girl he wants to spend the rest of his life with. That's the biggest benefit. Marriage isn't a curse. The man and woman CHOOSE to marry. You can always say no lol. Who the hell is going to say yes to someone they hate or don't want to marry? The only way I can see it being a curse or something bad is in 3rd world countries where your parents choose who you marry.

Over half of the marriages in the US end up in divorce so yea more often than not your are pretty likely to marry someone you don't really like its just that you find that out after you get married.

Avatar image for one_plum
#46 Posted by one_plum (6505 posts) -

@mingmao3046 said:

@one_plum said:

@mingmao3046 said:

@-paranorman- said:

Marriage benefits both the man and woman because at that point in their lives, they want to be married to one another. What happens to break up the marriage though is an entirely different story and usually ends up being a bad end for the man, but that is either one or both of their faults and depending on the situation and who gets bit, they deserved it. Men have rights too and can legally battle against the whole woman gets 50% of everything crap.

But what is the benefit of getting married? You dont need the government involved to love eachother

It's a social recognition of two people loving each other.

"A social recognition" aka- nothing actually changes

While that might be true, but what's the benefit of thinking so rationally?

Avatar image for lightleggy
#47 Edited by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@lightleggy said:

@br0kenrabbit said:
@lightleggy said:

OK, if that makes you happy, then great.

Some people do like marriage, others don't, is that really so hard to grasp?

Take your own advice: you're the one who dropped in here "What I don't like about anti-marriage folks..."

Which I still hold.

That guy simply said he hates marriage because if the girl gets bored she'll leave and take your stuff. In your case (anecdotal evidence btw) the girl cheated on you, which should have gave you a legal advantage to prevent the situation that our partner here was talking about.

What I said was also more along the lines of: Not everyone likes the same thing, if that guy wants to have sex with anyone he meets, it's his beef, if he doesn't want to get married, it's his beef. So he shouldn't go around shouting that everyone is in love with the lifestyle he likes.

It doesn't give you a legal advantage. I was faithful, she cheated, she got the house and half my stuff. If I had stayed in Canada I would have to be paying her alimony FOR LIFE.

It wasn't some shitty little house, either.

That's the reason I packed up and came back to the States because **** supporting that cheating bitch.

There is no benefit to a man to get married: you risk everything and thank God we didn't have kids because 3/4 of the time the woman gets primary custody regardless.

If things were more legally fair I wouldn't be so up-in-arms over it, but when a divorce happens it's typically the man that ends up paying out.

Sorry to hear that, where I'm from, if the girl cheats, the girl doesn't get anything, it revokes her right to have anything from you.

Avatar image for Nuck81
#48 Edited by Nuck81 (6830 posts) -

Since getting married my Laundry gets done a lot more often

Avatar image for -paranorman-
#49 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (1472 posts) -

@chernoalpha527 said:

@-paranorman- said:

The man get's the girl he wants to spend the rest of his life with. That's the biggest benefit. Marriage isn't a curse. The man and woman CHOOSE to marry. You can always say no lol. Who the hell is going to say yes to someone they hate or don't want to marry? The only way I can see it being a curse or something bad is in 3rd world countries where your parents choose who you marry.

Over half of the marriages in the US end up in divorce so yea more often than not your are pretty likely to marry someone you don't really like its just that you find that out after you get married.

That's true and unfortunate but that doesn't take away what a lot of people also get from marriage and shouldn't define what is part of marriage. What breaks a couple apart is entirely different from what a couple get out of a true lasting marriage.

Avatar image for -Renegade
#50 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@-paranorman-: who the **** wants to spend the rest of their life with ONE woman LOL