What are some of the best looking movies on Blu-ray?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1267 posts) -

I know I'm posting a lot of topics as of late. Just filled with ideas I guess you could say.

For me, the Studio Ghibli movies look gorgeous on Blu-ray. Disney Blu-rays all look great as well.Live action stuff...a lot of the Marvel movies look really nice.

There's a whole lot of them but those are some ones that stand out.

#2 Edited by uninspiredcup (31417 posts) -

By all means post topics, this place is dead.

-

Once Upon A Time In The West comes to mind. This movie, as per most of his movies, has lots of close up face shots, but it's especially prevalent in this movie. And really it is mostly a visual movie, barely any dialogue in most scenes. Stuff like the sharp hard shadows are more defined as well. I can only imagine what a blurry mess this would have been on old tv's.

Loading Video...

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (34936 posts) -

Probably Avatar or The Avengers: Infinity War. I have lots of Blu-Ray movies, but I think Infinity War looks good the most and follow by Avatar.

#4 Posted by Speeny (1267 posts) -

@davillain-: Yeah Infinity War does look great. Thanos is a great villain too. ;)

#5 Posted by Master_Live (19289 posts) -
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Interstellar

Two beautiful looking movies that also happen to be good.

#6 Posted by VFighter (4482 posts) -

Blade actually looks amazing on blu ray, o,e of the best transfers I've seen from an oldish movie.

Hellboy 2 also looks absolutely incredible, the first movie looks good but my god Del Toro and his crew worked some digital magic with the sequel.

Most disappointing was probably Fantastic Beast, the whole movie has this overly washed out look, with a soft focus. I had to check twice to make sure it was actually blu ray and not DVD.

#7 Posted by Speeny (1267 posts) -

@vfighter: Yeah it truly sucks when they don't put effort into a "good movies" blu-ray release. It's truly horrible when the Blu-ray looks like the DVD copy. Just an upscaled version. Lol

#8 Posted by kingkilla3 (17185 posts) -

I remember being really impressed by Amour. It wasn't the kind of movie I expected to look so good on Blu-ray.

#9 Posted by sakaiXx (5072 posts) -

Last Jedi although is a very, very shit movie that you should not watch, uhd blu ray ver was amazing visually

#10 Posted by Speeny (1267 posts) -

@sakaixx: Don’t plan on it. Lol

#11 Posted by DaVillain- (34936 posts) -

@speeny said:

The Last Jedi is also on Netflix and I wouldn't say The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars film, just bad writing is what's the problem.

#12 Posted by one_plum (6553 posts) -

Samsara. Non-narrative and non-fiction film; just pure visual treat.

Loading Video...

#13 Posted by l34052 (3885 posts) -

It's been out a while now but I always thought Die Hard 4 looked good, very clean and the colors are realistic.

#14 Posted by robert_sparkes (2565 posts) -

Really need to start beefing up my blu-ray collection been slacking I blame Netflix.

#15 Posted by X_Karen_x (498 posts) -

My coworker and watch Mission Impossible #2. She say it look so good she have to take from guy she always talk about.

Movie look pretty good. The later 90s have some of the best transfer depending on film stock use before industry go digital.

#16 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58842 posts) -

I've still never watched any of my Blurays in 1080p. When I bought an HDTV, 1080p cost the Earth. I have a 4K TV now, but my blurays are in another country. No doubt bringing a bluray player here with my collection would result in an untold number of issues. Heaven forbid I want to enjoy what I paid for.

#17 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43303 posts) -

Hmmmm never watched an anime film on blu-ray @speeny, those Studio Ghibli ones tend to be really colorful. Might have to buy a copy of Ponyo or something, I remember that one being especially colorful.

#18 Posted by Speeny (1267 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: All of them look gorgeous but especially Ponyo has great colours, contrast and the perfect amount of sharpness.

They really put the work into those Ghibli Blu-rays that’s for sure. If their was one I’d say that didn’t look that good it was Whisper of the Heart.

#19 Posted by judaspete (2832 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@speeny said:

The Last Jedi is also on Netflix and I wouldn't say The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars film, just bad writing is what's the problem.

Wouldn't be much of a Star Wars film if it had good writing.

#20 Edited by sakaiXx (5072 posts) -

@judaspete said:
@davillain- said:
@speeny said:

Wouldn't be much of a Star Wars film if it had good writing.

In defence of Last Jedi, its a good action movie butb a really bad star wars movie.

#21 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1165 posts) -

A massive crapload of them. Including pieces of crap that we shouldn't even be discussing. I find this thread kinda silly. Just check Blu-ray reviews for any movie that interests you. Blu-ray.com only focuses on the picture and sound.

#22 Posted by qx0d (302 posts) -

Read the review of the movie on Blu-ray.com. They mention the picture and audio.

You also have to be careful. Make sure you buy the right version. Different studios can release the same movie on Blu-ray. Certain versions look better than others. Luckily, you can see the cover of the case along with the review. No two releases have the same cover.

#23 Posted by drvikasgupta (16 posts) -

@speeny: You are right. I agree with you.

#24 Edited by Speeny (1267 posts) -

@drvikasgupta: Thanks! Welcome to the forums.

#25 Edited by goodzorr (478 posts) -

I agree with @davillain- about Avatar; looks beautiful.

My gripe with Blu-Ray however is the quieter dialogue THEN BOOM IT'S ACTION AND IT'S SO LOUD and then the neighbours are texting asking why the earthquake haha. (I have a sound system, not just the TV for sound). You can tweak the settings I know but never enough to make a difference.

#26 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4666 posts) -

Criterion Collection brings important films into a clearer spotlight. Many of the films have been restored. I just got the Ingmar Bergman collection.

#28 Edited by jaswindersingh (1 posts) -

In defence of Last Jedi, its a good action movie but not according to star wars movie.

#29 Posted by drvikasgupta12 (3 posts) -

All of them look gorgeous but especially Ponyo has great colours, contrast and the perfect amount of sharpness.

Looking forward to see more of it.