This topic is locked from further discussion.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

ok so my friend thinks that when u do basic standing bicep curls, u try and do it as fast as u can. i thought that u go up fast or count to three, and you go down slow so that it works the muscle. is he right or are we both right

please and thanks

cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
Depends on what you are trying to build. Pure strength or endurance. I think. Look it up on Google.
antonius05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 antonius05
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts
Speed doesn't mean nothing. Thats not a challenge, it will give you results but really, really slow. Just do it slowly, but the right way.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
speed isn't important....generally it's discouraged as there's a better chance of injury....
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pygmahia5

Speed doesn't mean nothing. Thats not a challenge, it will give you results but really, really slow. Just do it slowly, but the right way.antonius05

u c thats what i thought and thats what ive been doing. like for hammer curls with dumbbellsi go slow with elbows pinned to the side and not moving them.

BrendanBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 BrendanBox39
Member since 2006 • 862 Posts
OKAY! I know this one... DON'T do it fast, otherwise its just your....ahh, f***, whats the word...MOMENTUM pulling them up after a while.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Don't go fast. You want to build muscle stability. You don't have to go really slow or anything, but going too fast takes away from your control and can lead to injury.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts

Your friend doesnt know anything about weightlifting. You want to do itat a steady, controlledall of the time, it increases resistance, and therefore puts a greater strain on your muscles which in turn gives you better and faster results. As was posted above, there is a much higher risk of injury when you do things like that.

LLCoolKo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 LLCoolKo
Member since 2005 • 794 Posts

ok so my friend thinks that when u do basic standing bicep curls, u try and do it as fast as u can. i thought that u go up fast or count to three, and you go down slow so that it works the muscle. is he right or are we both right

please and thanks

pygmahia5

I'm knowledgable in this as I have been doing body building for a couple of years.

The other guy said endurance, endurance is about cardio, you are going to improve stamina and local muscular endurance by doing cardio and core exercises.

The technique I use is when I am doing a basic bicep curl is (if I am doing maybe 4 sets pyramiding around 12, 10 , 8, to failure) is to clench your bicep as you are bringing the weight up, I do this the first few reps, I feel it gives me a better pump, this technique is advised by people like Vince Del Monte and even Ronnie Coleman (8 time mr Olympia).

But you really should be bringing the weight up the same amount of time as you bring it down, which varies depending on your technique and genetics.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pygmahia5

ive also seen like people in their 40s or 50s at the Y lifting fast. i think to myself...isnt he doin it wrong? idk maybe doin it fast builds bulk or something? not sure tho. how old are you guys btw? im 16

tmac200913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tmac200913
Member since 2006 • 16647 Posts
Take it slow.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts

ive also seen like people in their 40s or 50s at the Y lifting fast. i think to myself...isnt he doin it wrong? idk maybe doin it fast builds bulk or something? not sure tho. how old are you guys btw? im 16

pygmahia5

It makes me want to cry when I see older people lifting wrong. Lifting faster does absolutely nothing for you whatsoever. I'm 16, but got into weightlifting because my History teacher was an ex-championship weightlifter. (No joke)

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Going slow builds more strength as you're resisting gravity longer, which is what its all about.
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
Lifting fast means you're either not using enough weight or you're swinging it up...Neither is usefull. Smooth controlled motion is what you should be doing.
Avatar image for UrbanSpartan125
UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 UrbanSpartan125
Member since 2006 • 3684 Posts
Well if you want a torn bicep go as fast as you want, if you want to do it the right way take it slow and work on the negatives.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

pygmahia5
Maybe they're not trying to build strength, but just hold their form
UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UrbanSpartan125
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"]

please and thanks

LLCoolKo

I'm knowledgable in this as I have been doing body building for a couple of years.

The other guy said endurance, endurance is about cardio, you are going to improve stamina and local muscular endurance by doing cardio and core exercises.

The technique I use is when I am doing a basic bicep curl is (if I am doing maybe 4 sets pyramiding around 12, 10 , 8, to failure) is to clench your bicep as you are bringing the weight up, I do this the first few reps, I feel it gives me a better pump, this technique is advised by people like Vince Del Monte and even Ronnie Coleman (8 time mr Olympia).

But you really should be bringing the weight up the same amount of time as you bring it down, which varies depending on your technique and genetics.

Pyramiding and reverse pyramiding are great for building muscle. I occasionaly do pyramiding for biceps but i will mainly use it on bench press and take a weight say 225 and go for 12 ultimately going down to 3 reps of about 385. Biceps i tend to take it slow and go for the 8-10 rep range for about 4 sets.

Ronnie Coleman is a big man, to bad it aint natural.

LLCoolKo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LLCoolKo

I know 3 time olympic champion Halil Mutlu, my uncle is a good friend of his and coached him briefly, and some guy said "lifting fast does absolutely nothing"

If you are trying to gain strength or gain muscle mass, then it is pretty much impossible to lift it fast with the weight are lifting (should be very heavy and pushing you)

freeze893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 freeze893
Member since 2004 • 1382 Posts
Do NOT do it as fast as you can. Don't got too slow though. Just go at a moderate speed.
LLCoolKo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LLCoolKo
[QUOTE="LLCoolKo"][QUOTE="pygmahia5"]

please and thanks

UrbanSpartan125

Pyramiding and reverse pyramiding are great for building muscle. I occasionaly do pyramiding for biceps but i will mainly use it on bench press and take a weight say 225 and go for 12 ultimately going down to 3 reps of about 385. Biceps i tend to take it slow and go for the 8-10 rep range for about 4 sets.

It's a pretty regular routine everybody should use who are new to body building or strength training. Are you doing strength training as well as size work? 8-10 is usually the desired rep count for somebody who is doing both. People who solely work on strength usually go do 3-5 sets of only around 4-7 reps.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pygmahia5
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"]

TheGTAvaccine

It makes me want to cry when I see older people lifting wrong. Lifting faster does absolutely nothing for you whatsoever. I'm 16, but got into weightlifting because my History teacher was an ex-championship weightlifter. (No joke)

i know man its funny tho. im not liek a total noob to weight lifting but when my friend said that it made me think like...dude im pretty sure ur completely wrong. like i go to a prep school and all the kids are rich as hell there so they think they're all right. fact of the matter is, most of them have never lifted in their life. they're all like skinny and think they're the sh!t.

ok sry about my rant lol but yea thats cool about ur history teacher.

TkLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TkLive
Member since 2007 • 730 Posts

You should actually lift slowly for two reasons:

-If you're trying to gain muscle mass.

-If you don't want to get injured.

LLCoolKo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LLCoolKo

Doping was banned from body building competition years ago, and I can guarantee you for the last 7 years Ronnie has been completely natural, I know many people who lift with him, and are generally around him hours each day. He does intake around 20+ supplement pills each day and various shakes including Nytrotec, cyclone, pure whey etc.

UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UrbanSpartan125
[QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"][QUOTE="LLCoolKo"][QUOTE="pygmahia5"]

please and thanks

LLCoolKo

It's a pretty regular routine everybody should use who are new to body building or strength training. Are you doing strength training as well as size work? 8-10 is usually the desired rep count for somebody who is doing both. People who solely work on strength usually go do 3-5 sets of only around 4-7 reps.

Yeah i go for strength and size, considering im around 6'3" 245.