Websites that auto-play videos upon entering a page

This topic is locked from further discussion.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

a pet peeve of mine that has been getting more and more common in the world of web design is pages that start auto-playing videos when you enter them. I guess its a way to increase view counts and ad-revenue but man, its super annoying to me.

aside from something like youtube where the entire reason you are there is to watch videos, I can't think of a single instance where I like this feature. Often this happens on written articles where some semi-related video at the top of the page starts playing when I really want to just read the damn article. If I want to watch the video i'll play it when I'm ready. Sometimes they will have audio and I'll scroll down and start reading only to have some random voice start talking, forcing me to find the video and pause it.

Does anyone else feel this way? its not a huge thing but it seems to be the new standard in web page design and I think its stupid

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Annoying as hell, agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I hate it as well and I have also been noticing the trend. It's even more annoying when, as you say, the video takes a while to start so you're halfway down the article and have to lose your place to scroll back up and stop the damn video.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I don't like it at all. It's a terrible practice from a user viewpoint.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Not only I hate it, there's a thread here in Bug Reporting & Feedback asking about autp-play videos and yeah, it's super annoying. I get that ads makes revenue money on sites but auto-play is a pain in the but.

Also I notice now most sites are always asking to "please disable adblock" which is so shady & a dick move by sites and the whole purpose for me to using adblock was to keep those annoying ads out of my screen.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Yeah, I hate it too.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@davillain- said:

Not only I hate it, there's a thread here in Bug Reporting & Feedback asking about autp-play videos and yeah, it's super annoying. I get that ads makes revenue money on sites but auto-play is a pain in the but.

Also I notice now most sites are always asking to "please disable adblock" which is so shady & a dick move by sites and the whole purpose for me to using adblock was to keep those annoying ads out of my screen.

this is a bit more understandable to me since using ad-blockers prevents the site getting revenue. Some people might not realise this so I can live with a one-time popup explaining why ad-blockers hurt the site.

I've seen some sites that don't even let you enter with an ad-blocker which is going too far imo

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yep. Garbage tactics....

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been online since the days of dial-up, and this kind of thing isn't going away anytime soon. The reason I installed an ad-blocker in the first place was because some sites would have so many damn ads I literally couldn't scroll without running into lag issues. I thought "there's no way this sort of thing is going to become common, right?" Wrong. After that it was the pop-up ads that, again, cause slowdown issues, and again I thought "this can't become common, right?" Wrong. Then as soon as adblockers start becoming common on PC's it starts on mobile. Reading an article, halfway through an ad pops up, interrupts me, and takes me back to the top of the page. "Can't become common, right?" Wrong. How about ads that play ten times as loud as the shows they're played during and end up blowing out my speakers, can't become common, right? Wrong.

I'm not sure if advertisers are the dumbest people on earth or the most self-serving, or maybe both, but they will do literally anything to get your attention, even in a bad way. If they do something that every other person on earth finds disturbing they will justify it by the fact that people are paying attention. And if you don't believe me remember, these are the people who at one time were literally researching a form of mind control in order to sell soda.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

It's poor website design practice.

Hate having to find that tab where the sound is coming from.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@korvus said:

I hate it as well and I have also been noticing the trend. It's even more annoying when, as you say, the video takes a while to start so you're halfway down the article and have to lose your place to scroll back up and stop the damn video.

I find more annoying where "Say you searching for 10 best video games or movies of 2017 ' takes you page after page upto 10 than putting all in 1 page. Little content too for a whole page for a single game or movie LOL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@indzman: And then you have an ad page every 3 or 4 regular ones and the final slide isn't even for what you were searching but the first slide of something else :p

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

*cough* gamespot *cough* *cough*

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I find myself right clicking every tab at work and muting it. I'm not too fussed about videos autoplaying, it's the sound. Play but silently like fb on our phones.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

I look at it the same way I view Microtransactions. Eventually people will get sick of it and start looking for an alternative that doesn't use shady practices to make money.

Didn't/Won't buy Battlefront 2 and my time on this site grows more limited by the day.

nickeddreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nickeddreams
Member since 2017 • 14 Posts

@with_teeth26: Usually, these are part of affliate marketing campaigns where you end up on their page with a certain video playing automatically and if you try to close it, you would be re-directed to some other website. Annoying as hell to most, but yet it's still a multi-billion dollar industry because people can still potentially be suckers for it and buy the product, especially if it relates to them.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

It's cancer

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Facebook does it on phone app, it's the reason by default my volume is normally on mute

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I hate it as well. It's even worse if the video follows you after scrolling past it

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@theone86 said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been online since the days of dial-up, and this kind of thing isn't going away anytime soon. The reason I installed an ad-blocker in the first place was because some sites would have so many damn ads I literally couldn't scroll without running into lag issues. I thought "there's no way this sort of thing is going to become common, right?" Wrong. After that it was the pop-up ads that, again, cause slowdown issues, and again I thought "this can't become common, right?" Wrong. Then as soon as adblockers start becoming common on PC's it starts on mobile. Reading an article, halfway through an ad pops up, interrupts me, and takes me back to the top of the page. "Can't become common, right?" Wrong. How about ads that play ten times as loud as the shows they're played during and end up blowing out my speakers, can't become common, right? Wrong.

I'm not sure if advertisers are the dumbest people on earth or the most self-serving, or maybe both, but they will do literally anything to get your attention, even in a bad way. If they do something that every other person on earth finds disturbing they will justify it by the fact that people are paying attention. And if you don't believe me remember, these are the people who at one time were literally researching a form of mind control in order to sell soda.

The reason I first installed adblocker....no it was originally called popup blocker back in those days....was because on a system with less than 64 MB of RAM and less than 150MHz of processing power running Windows 95/98SE, popups use to eat so much resources that it would slow my computer to a crawl, thus a popup blocker came in handy.

Then I finally got a new system strong enough to run Windows XP with 128 MB of RAM and about 266MHz of processing power. Thought to myself that "Hey, I can finally take on popups or animated flash ads, no problem! So I don't need no stinkin popup blocker!". Got proven wrong quickly when I first discovered adware viruses that spammed a volley of popups enough to crash my system. The last straw before I went back to installing a popup blocker was being hit a few times with that one particularly annoying popup that didn't want to close no matter how many times you try to exit it out...

Then came the days where animated flash ads became annoying. They originally weren't so bad because they used to be small and out of the way. But then as years went by, they started to get bigger and demanded so much resources, started making noises when your mouse accidentally travels over them, then began causing flash player to stop responding which led to my browser crashing often. That's when I had enough and discovered Ad blockers which I consider a must have component for the internet...

Reason why I keep an ad blocker handy now is because I've acquired some nasty viruses that seem to piggyback off of certain ads. That, and ads compared to how they were 10+ years ago are no longer inconspicuous but are now obnoxious, in your face, disrupting webpage layouts, floating over content you're TRYING to look at, causing pages to take 10+ seconds to load up, making unwanted noises in the background, and redirecting you to other sites when you try exiting them out or clicking around them. Yeah, they aren't making it very appealing for me NOT to want to use adblock...

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

That's about one of the few reason I don't like this site for is autoplay it articles even if I have the video on adblock something keeps getting autoplayed anyway so I have to mute the tab. If I wanted to watch the video I would click on myself don't need autoplay.
And I also hate every other website that does this as well.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

It's super annoying.

I disabled auto play from Youtube, as well as Steam and other software as soon as I found out there was an option to turn it off...

Haven't found an option to turn off GS autoplay yet, I just want to read an article. Don't want to watch some unrelated video.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Yes, I hate it when I'm in a meeting and browsing pronhub and a video automatically starts before giving me a chance to mute.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

If it is with sound, close tab.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@tocool340: Yup. If these websites want to complain about losing revenue then they should be a bit more proactive in making their sites accessible. I actually had one today where, I don't know how all this got through my adblocker, but first there were like three notifications about alerts that partially obscured the article I was reading, then a full page ad that took me back to the top when I closed it, then some sponsored video playing automatically with sound. The kicker? The article was about how to turn off annoying Windows alerts, and the author spent half of it complaining about how annoying they were.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Any kind of intrusive advertising should be illegal.