We really should throw all our old cars in the ocean

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#1 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79096 posts) -

So I'm watching an episode of The Grand Tour, and it's the one about the coral reef, and how a ship was sunk to build a coral reef. The GT guys thought they should do the same with cars, so they got five clunkers, stripped them down and removed the paint and put them in the water to promote coral reef growth. I thought, "Wow, that is a great idea!" And if you think about it, it's cyclical. Coral reef destruction has been partly attributed to cars because of their pollution, so for their metal husks to be sent to the ocean floor to help rebuild what they've destroyed is I think pretty apropos.

What do you think?

Avatar image for crimsonbrute
#2 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25288 posts) -

Avatar image for Solaryellow
#3 Posted by Solaryellow (4605 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:

What do you think?

I think you need to lead by example.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#4 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15692 posts) -

I say we throw our elected officials into the ocean. That would solve a hell of a lot of problems.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#5 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79096 posts) -
@Solaryellow said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

What do you think?

I think you need to lead by example.

I will. Soon as my car conks out, I'm going to donate it to the see.

@br0kenrabbit said:

I say we throw our elected officials into the ocean. That would solve a hell of a lot of problems.

Yeah, but that's murder.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#6 Posted by LJS9502_basic (165926 posts) -

I think we need to stop throwing garbage in the ocean...........

Avatar image for theone86
#7 Posted by theone86 (22337 posts) -
@JustPlainLucas said:

So I'm watching an episode of The Grand Tour

There's your problem, right there.

Avatar image for heirren
#8 Posted by Heirren (719 posts) -

Criminally underrated.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#9 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79096 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:

I think we need to stop throwing garbage in the ocean...........

It's not garbage. They're future coral reefs. Is anyone bothering to read my actual post?

Avatar image for omegamaster
#10 Posted by omegaMaster (1133 posts) -

Why throw cars in the ocean when you can recycle them? It's better for the environent.

Avatar image for jackamomo
#11 Posted by Jackamomo (1629 posts) -

It would have to be in the path of a fertile current in an otherwise featureless area.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#12 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79096 posts) -
@omegamaster said:

Why throw cars in the ocean when you can recycle them? It's better for the environent.

Because for one, it takes energy to recycle them, and for two, these husks would promote coral reef growth which in turn is better for the environment than turning them into new polluting cars.

Avatar image for npiet1
#13 Posted by npiet1 (1619 posts) -

@omegamaster: if they are stripped, they aren't harmful but coral will build on them and would be much better for the environment then recycling.

The only issue is cost.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#14 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79096 posts) -
@npiet1 said:

@omegamaster: if they are stripped, they aren't harmful but coral will build on them and would be much better for the environment then recycling.

The only issue is cost.

THANK YOU! Someone finally gets it!

Avatar image for npiet1
#15 Posted by npiet1 (1619 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas: But like I said the issue is cost. If you could get donated cars, you should be able to do a car over a weekend though. Then is just transport which would be a killer in cost.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#16 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79096 posts) -
@npiet1 said:

@JustPlainLucas: But like I said the issue is cost. If you could get donated cars, you should be able to do a car over a weekend though. Then is just transport which would be a killer in cost.

Yep, but I do think that it's a good thing to spend money on the environment every now and again.

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#17 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19794 posts) -

We need to start bombing some foreign ships.