WAYR: Best Laid Plans Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Tell us what you're reading and what you think of it!

I just finished Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. God, it was depressing. :cry:

I'm gonna read The Ghost next, possibly alongside The Eye of the World.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

I just finished Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. God, it was depressing. :cry:

Theokhoth

Of Mice and Men is a very sad book :(.. It brought me to tears the first time I ever read it. Currently I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
Button, Button and Other Short Stories by Richard Matheson. Out of all of the stories I've read so far (Button, Button; Girl Of My Dreams; Dying Room Only; A Flourish of Strumpets; No Such Thing As A Vampire; Pattern For Survival; and Mute), I think my favorites are probably - well, all of them (except Pattern For Survival; I didn't really get it). Button, Button - 8/10 Girl Of My Dreams - 9/10 Dying Room Only - 8.5/10 A Flourish of Strumpets - 9/10 (the ending is awesome) No Such Thing As A Vampire - 8.5/10 Pattern For Survival - ???/10 (I really need to read it again) Mute - 8.5/10
3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
Rainbow Six - Tom Clancy.
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts

I just finished Goddess by Fiona McIntosh.

Was the end to the trilogy and I enjoyed it except the ending left me a little unsatisfied.

I am now about to start King's Shield by Sherwood Smith.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
Heh, I'm reading Chain Letter, a "young adult" thriller by Christopher Pike/Kevin McFadden. On the recommendation by my girlfriend. It's not bad.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

MystikFollower

Of Mice and Men is a very sad book :(.. It brought me to tears the first time I ever read it. Currently I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Ah, my second favorite book.

NightStalkerBX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NightStalkerBX
Member since 2006 • 2032 Posts

Rereading The Rainmaker by John Grisham. I read it about a decade ago, Never really looked at insurance companies the same way again.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

Still reading A Clockwork Orange.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Dune. Very slow going and I'm having a hard time getting finished with it
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I had to read Of Mice and Men for my English GCSE. I think Im currently on Thief of Time, by Pratchett (as usual)
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jalexbrown
After Button, Button and Other Short Stories - I think I'll move on to Necronomicon by HP Lovecraft.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Theokhoth
Dune. Very slow going and I'm having a hard time getting finished with it fastesttruck
Hehe, that'll do that to ya.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
I didn't find Of Mice and Men to be that depressing, honestly. A great book regardless. As for me, I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for school. Nothing on my own as of right now.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Theokhoth
I didn't find Of Mice and Men to be that depressing, honestly. A great book regardless. As for me, I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for school. Nothing on my own as of right now.LZ71
TKAM is amazing.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="LZ71"]I didn't find Of Mice and Men to be that depressing, honestly. A great book regardless. As for me, I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for school. Nothing on my own as of right now.Theokhoth
TKAM is amazing.

I always wondered why Harper Lee was pretty much a one-book person. She did a few magazine pieces after Mockingbird, but that was all.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts
I had to read Of Mice and Men for my English GCSE. I think Im currently on Thief of Time, by Pratchett (as usual)Big_Bad_Sad
I love Thief of Time. I love all of Terry's books but Thief of Time make me cry so it has some powerful juju in it :P have you read it before? Are you reading them through in order? i just finished re-reading the Harry Potter books for this year, and I think I might do the DW series again now, I got Unseen Academics for Christmas and have resisted temptation to read it so far, might be good to read the others first. For 'work' I am reading Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. The concept is rather interesting but the writing is a little vapid for my tastes if I'm honest. It's a best seller though and something else to draw on when people request holiday reading. I won't pass absolute judgement til I finish it tonight.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
[QUOTE="fastesttruck"]Dune. Very slow going and I'm having a hard time getting finished with it Theokhoth
Hehe, that'll do that to ya.

Its safe to say I won't be reading the 2nd book in the Dune set
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Big_Bad_Sad
[QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"]I had to read Of Mice and Men for my English GCSE. I think Im currently on Thief of Time, by Pratchett (as usual)MissLibrarian
I love Thief of Time. I love all of Terry's books but Thief of Time make me cry so it has some powerful juju in it :P have you read it before? Are you reading them through in order?

First time Im reading it. Im reading them in order. I think The Colour of Magic and Guards Guards are the only books I have read more than once so far.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Finished "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" last week and plan to start reading "The Long Gray Line: The American Journey of West Point's Class of 1966" tonight.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Nothing now. Just finished 'The Time Machine' and 'The Invisible Man.'
clock_of_omens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clock_of_omens
Member since 2005 • 5595 Posts

It, its pretty good. Also i was reading Of Mice and Men at my schools library, i need to finish that as well.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jalexbrown
Finished "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" last week and plan to start reading "The Long Gray Line: The American Journey of West Point's Class of 1966" tonight.SaintLeonidas
I was looking at Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter just the other day at Borders. Is it pretty good?
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MissLibrarian
[QUOTE="MissLibrarian"][QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"]I had to read Of Mice and Men for my English GCSE. I think Im currently on Thief of Time, by Pratchett (as usual)Big_Bad_Sad
I love Thief of Time. I love all of Terry's books but Thief of Time make me cry so it has some powerful juju in it :P have you read it before? Are you reading them through in order?

First time Im reading it. Im reading them in order. I think The Colour of Magic and Guards Guards are the only books I have read more than once so far.

Aw man so you still have Night Watch to go? That's my favourite. It is a masterpiece. Actually a legitimate literary masterpiece of the 20th Century. I wish I could read it for the first time again. It's never a chore reading them over again though.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LZ71
Has anyone here read House of Leaves? It was recommended to me by my English teacher, but I'm not too sure about it.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jalexbrown
Has anyone here read House of Leaves? It was recommended to me by my English teacher, but I'm not too sure about it.LZ71
One of these days I intend to pick it up, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I do know of it, though.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8787 Posts
I recently finished Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. Buddhism and science-fiction FTW!
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

I am currently reading:

Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jalexbrown

Same. It comes pretty highly recommended by a couple of my friends.

Bio_Spark

From what I've looked at of the book, it looks like a psychological mind**** - very interesting looking stuff indeed.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LZ71

[QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

Same. It comes pretty highly recommended by a couple of my friends.

jalexbrown

From what I've looked at of the book, it looks like a psychological mind**** - very interesting looking stuff indeed.

That's precisely the reason why I wanted to check it out, however, I don't want to waste money.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Finished "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" last week and plan to start reading "The Long Gray Line: The American Journey of West Point's Class of 1966" tonight.jalexbrown
I was looking at Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter just the other day at Borders. Is it pretty good?

Incredibly fun read, takes such a serious biographical approach that you almost believe it :P
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Finished "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" last week and plan to start reading "The Long Gray Line: The American Journey of West Point's Class of 1966" tonight.SaintLeonidas

Incredibly fun read, takes such a serious biographical approach that you almost believe it :P

I've heard that, other than the obvious creative liberties, it's historically accurate. That makes me even more interested in reading it. I've also heard that they've already planned making a movie based on it.
ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

I'm just beginning Finnegans Wake by James Joyce. Is anyone familiar with this highly-experimental piece of fiction?

dwoodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dwoodin
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Finished "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" last week and plan to start reading "The Long Gray Line: The American Journey of West Point's Class of 1966" tonight.jalexbrown

I just finished "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" also. Very good read. If there is any doubt look up the trailer on youtube. I would post a link but I am at work and don't have access. Just starting on "World War Z" Not sure how I feel yet.

Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts

Has anyone here read House of Leaves? It was recommended to me by my English teacher, but I'm not too sure about it.LZ71

I loved it. I've read Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft, a bit of Edgar Allen Poe, and House of Leaves is the only book that's ever creeped me out. Definitely worth a read.

Right now I'm reading three books.

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card-Interesting read and Card definately knows how to keep you interested.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams-I'm still waiting for this book to pick up, unlike The Hitchikers Guide for the Galaxy which was excellent from the get go.

The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang-Depressing and horrifying, yet compelling. There are pictures in the middle which are pure nightmare fuel and one of them was particularly gruesome and I can still perfectly metally picture that image which just makes the whole thing worse.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

Theokhoth
Of Mice and Men is an amazing book :cry: good choice.. I'm currently reading short stories from Stephen King.. great stuff..
Juice_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Juice_13
Member since 2009 • 293 Posts

I just started reading Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. 3rd book in the Ender series. So far, it is good. I am only about 80 pages in, but I expect I will like it since I liked Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead.

Anyone else read it and have thoughts on it though? After I am done that, I am hoping to read I, Robot, I am Legend, Dune, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Not sure which yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Black Hawk Down, though I have read it before. After I guess I will probably read Willie Apiata VC.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Big_Bad_Sad
[QUOTE="MissLibrarian"][QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"][QUOTE="MissLibrarian"] I love Thief of Time. I love all of Terry's books but Thief of Time make me cry so it has some powerful juju in it :P have you read it before? Are you reading them through in order?

Aw man so you still have Night Watch to go? That's my favourite. It is a masterpiece. Actually a legitimate literary masterpiece of the 20th Century. I wish I could read it for the first time again. It's never a chore reading them over again though.

One of my mstes told me about Night Watch. Im looking forward to it. I love the Watch.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I don't read, even if i did where do you find book recommendations? People can now look down on me
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MissLibrarian
One of my mates told me about Night Watch. Im looking forward to it. I love the Watch.Big_Bad_Sad
Me too. Vimes is, like, the ultimate man! :P You get to learn so much about him and the history of Ankh-Morpork etc. As I said Night Watch is a masterpiece. I hope in 20 years time they are teaching it in schools as great British literature. Terry deserves it. His writing, especially after the first 20 or so books, is genius.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I Am A Cat by Natsume Soseki. It's ok so far.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16051 Posts

ESV study Bible. It has cross references, notes, maps, introductions and much more. It's taught me some cool things; I now know that "Isaac" means "he laughs" in hebrew. That's ironic because when Abraham was told that his wife would give birth to a child at the ripe age of 90, he laughed hysterically. Rainbows are a symbol of the covenant that Noah made. There's also a possibility that Ham had sex with his father, Noah. It says that Noah was passed out while naked and Ham "dishonored" him.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts

I finished up the A Song of Ice and Fire series the other day and I started The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Its great so far. I'm not sure what to read next.

Bitter_Altmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bitter_Altmer
Member since 2010 • 356 Posts

I'm just beginning Finnegans Wake by James Joyce. Is anyone familiar with this highly-experimental piece of fiction?

ShuLordLiuPei
Yes, I am. Along with Ulysses and other works by Joyce. He's probably the best writer we've ever seen. At the moment I'm reading by Karl Marx.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
I'm restarting "The Radicalism of the American Revolution" by Gordon S. Wood.