Was the late 90's the beginning of the decline of mainstream music as a whole?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

When I look back to music to past decades I can always pick out legendary artist of the time starting with the 60's up to the mid 90's but around 98 the start of the boyband era began along with Britney Spears and Nu Metal bands. Ever since then mainstream music has only gotten worst would you agree that this was the starting point of the decline of mainstream music as a whole? or do you see it at another time?

For me personally not only was it the decline of mainstream music but also music in general as a whole. I can find some underground stuff that is decent sure but everything just feels forgettable and meaningless when it comes to music these days the old shit was better. And yes that maybe due to some nostalgia for the late 80's and early to mid 90's music but not all of it can be nostalgia I wasn't even born in the 70's and the rock back then was amazing.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 302 Posts

He** No.

MGMT.

Kid Cudi.

Linkin Park.

I think music peaked from the end of the 90s. hopefully the industry will keep sending out good stuff. I think music as a whole will get better in time. Hopefully no more weak shi*.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

No you are just getting older, People say this every so often.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

I get what you're saying. Disclosure: there is good and bad music every generation but starting in the 90s the recording industry started grooming image over music and much of the studio work is digitally manipulated. Unfortunately too many people eat up the music so there is little incentive to change course.

In conclusion...…..yes mainstream music blows but you can find good music if you seek it out.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

The old bands that are still around still play pretty much the same music. Korn, Metallica, etc...same basic shit. But granted as new artists come in they have new ideas of how their music should sound. It evolves and changes somewhat but you can still pick out the genre's they mixed or what style is most similar to older artists but most young people seem to really like today's music as much as I did 80's/90's. But I do still like a fair bit of modern music as well but it's rare that any band puts out an album that I just have to have like I used to but likely because I'm older.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

I don't think I pay close enough attention to modern music to really claim my opinion has much weight, but I'm going to give it anyway.

Around the late 90's, advances in technology caused a shift in how people consume all media, music included, and the large companies were slow to change with the times. In an effort to maintain profit growth, they have largely chosen a strategy of putting more time and money, into fewer projects, with global mass-market appeal. Niche products gave way to blended genres. How many rock bands have hip-hop elements now, and vice versa? In gaming, we see RPG progression systems in everything, because it gives you small goals that keep you playing for that extra little shot of dopamine with each "accomplishment" (don't get me started on trophies/achievements/gold stars). In short, I think popular music has stagnated, chasing trends and producing safe bets.

However, there has never been a better time for music overall. It's easier than ever for a band to record their music and get it on a distribution platform. On the consumer end, there are more ways than ever to seek out music that caters to your specific tastes. I loved the 90's, but I wouldn't go back.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@judaspete said:

I don't think I pay close enough attention to modern music to really claim my opinion has much weight, but I'm going to give it anyway.

Around the late 90's, advances in technology caused a shift in how people consume all media, music included, and the large companies were slow to change with the times. In an effort to maintain profit growth, they have largely chosen a strategy of putting more time and money, into fewer projects, with global mass-market appeal. Niche products gave way to blended genres. How many rock bands have hip-hop elements now, and vice versa? In gaming, we see RPG progression systems in everything, because it gives you small goals that keep you playing for that extra little shot of dopamine with each "accomplishment" (don't get me started on trophies/achievements/gold stars). In short, I think popular music has stagnated, chasing trends and producing safe bets.

However, there has never been a better time for music overall. It's easier than ever for a band to record their music and get it on a distribution platform. On the consumer end, there are more ways than ever to seek out music that caters to your specific tastes. I loved the 90's, but I wouldn't go back.

I think Napster is to blame even though I used it at the time and appreciated it I definitely think it hurt the music industry alot though. But I think music was better in the past because it was harder to get record deals seems like anybody can get one these days as long as you have followers talent doesn't really matter as much anymore. Also rock and rap was better there was less political correctness and everything was just more raw and natural feeling. The way the world changed in last 20 years everything feels synthesized and dull no real passion or hunger in music today like it was back in the day we had bands like Pantera NIN, Nirvana ect.. and on the rap side you had N.W.A and Public Enemy. Music was just more powerful back then and had more meaning. Modern day is just one big meme it seems like I guess I'm just to old and want some aggression back in the industry instead of nerd culture it will never be the same again I know.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@warmblur said:
@judaspete said:

I think Napster is to blame even though I used it at the time and appreciated it I definitely think it hurt the music industry alot though. But I think music was better in the past because it was harder to get record deals seems like anybody can get one these days as long as you have followers talent doesn't really matter as much anymore. Also rock and rap was better there was less political correctness and everything was just more raw and natural feeling. The way the world changed in last 20 years everything feels synthesized and dull no real passion or hunger in music today like it was back in the day we had bands like Pantera NIN, Nirvana ect.. and on the rap side you had N.W.A and Public Enemy. Music was just more powerful back then and had more meaning. Modern day is just one big meme it seems like I guess I'm just to old and want some aggression back in the industry instead of nerd culture it will never be the same again I know.

Introducing MP3 fileformat forever changed the industry, didn't it? Artists used to make lots of money through selling CD and vinyls, these days it is through concerts. Those two doesn't necessarily hit the same audience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

There's good and bad music in every decade. But is hard to beat the 80s as the absolute worse.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@phbz said:

There's good and bad music in every decade. But is hard to beat the 80s as the absolute worse.

You listen to the wrong 80s music...…….

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@LJS9502_basic: As I've said, there's good and bad. I just find the bad in the 80s is particularly bad.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9778 Posts

@phbz: Blasphemy. More diversity and talent in the 80s than any decade I can think of.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic

@phbz said:

@LJS9502_basic: As I've said, there's good and bad. I just find the bad in the 80s is particularly bad.

And as I said you listen to the wrong 80s music.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@LJS9502_basic: Ah yes and yellow is the absolute best colour.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Mid 90's for me. I rarely listen to anything beyond that point. I realize I'm just old now and hate all new music.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26077 Posts

Humans stop listening to new music at age 30, and their favorite music is what they heard at around age 14.

Check when you were born and see if it correlates with your perceived decline in quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

Subjective thread is subjective.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

For me late 70-80's music was the best period. You could hear in the songs they enjoyed making their music.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2122 Posts

No, you are just a boomer.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I'm active musician in the music industry. Allow me to give expanded thoughts on this:

1) One of the biggest issues facing "bands" these days- rock/indie/alternative/metal/whatever - is that Rock/Alternative Reporting stations (radio stations that effect the billboard charts) are dying out. This has been happening steadily since 2010. Even slightly before then. Now, top 40 and Hip-Hop stations are the only major sources of new music, thereby, they are loading the charts, thereby, Tastemakers are mainly playing HipHop and Top 40. Thats not to say bands are not popular- but most are pounding the road and touring. "The Decline of the Mainstream" I think is the thread creators way of saying bands are not in the top 40 anymore. Radio promotion is incredibly expensive and is dominated by big money. Most bands, like myself, mainly do College radio promo or reach out to the very few alternative stations left- KEXP/KROQ, etc. This is an American perspective- im not in the European scene. In my opinion, the Mainstream has definitely declined, but its mainly do to the corrupt nature of the music industry and big money and paywalls.

2) The next big issue is: What do you consider the mainstream? To me, Spotify and Youtube are now the most dominant music platforms for most people under the age of 40. I almost dont care what's on mainstream radio- I don't use it much anymore. I dont need tastemakers anymore. But the radio market in my area is dead and sucks- maybe yours doesn't. I mainly just click through what Spotify tells me is similar to bands I like. The mainstream is changing- and music is getting very weird, man. Spins/streams and algorhythms are dictating what is mainstream. TV/Radio/traditional mainstream is now getting old and dated. Maybe the thread creator should use different platforms?

TLDR: Billie Eilish got big on the internet, and its not too different from the Myspace era bands. I would anticipate the Mainstream being dictated more and more by streaming services.

TLDR2: I still think the bands from the mid-aughts were awesome. I would argue the mainstream started to decline 2010 --> now. Because of the above reasons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Shmiity said:

I'm active musician in the music industry. Allow me to give expanded thoughts on this:

1) One of the biggest issues facing "bands" these days- rock/indie/alternative/metal/whatever - is that Rock/Alternative Reporting stations (radio stations that effect the billboard charts) are dying out. This has been happening steadily since 2010. Even slightly before then. Now, top 40 and Hip-Hop stations are the only major sources of new music, thereby, they are loading the charts, thereby, Tastemakers are mainly playing HipHop and Top 40. Thats not to say bands are not popular- but most are pounding the road and touring. "The Decline of the Mainstream" I think is the thread creators way of saying bands are not in the top 40 anymore. Radio promotion is incredibly expensive and is dominated by big money. Most bands, like myself, mainly do College radio promo or reach out to the very few alternative stations left- KEXP/KROQ, etc. This is an American perspective- im not in the European scene. In my opinion, the Mainstream has definitely declined, but its mainly do to the corrupt nature of the music industry and big money and paywalls.

2) The next big issue is: What do you consider the mainstream? To me, Spotify and Youtube are now the most dominant music platforms for most people under the age of 40. I almost dont care what's on mainstream radio- I don't use it much anymore. I dont need tastemakers anymore. But the radio market in my area is dead and sucks- maybe yours doesn't. I mainly just click through what Spotify tells me is similar to bands I like. The mainstream is changing- and music is getting very weird, man. Spins/streams and algorhythms are dictating what is mainstream. TV/Radio/traditional mainstream is now getting old and dated. Maybe the thread creator should use different platforms?

TLDR: Billie Eilish got big on the internet, and its not too different from the Myspace era bands. I would anticipate the Mainstream being dictated more and more by streaming services.

TLDR2: I still think the bands from the mid-aughts were awesome. I would argue the mainstream started to decline 2010 --> now. Because of the above reasons.

Thanks for your input.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 270 Posts

There's always good as there is bad stuff in mainstream media .. it doesn't matter the time frame

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Talking about mainstream as in what's pushed by the big record companies, I think I can agree with the TC. I guess they realized that targeting younger people and people with lesser musical taste was more profitable. There is still good music being made today, but it's not something that will be played at prom reunions 20 years from now, because most millennials will want to remember, oh IDK, Justin Bieber or some shit.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

QFT

There was so much great music in the 1980's! You had to have been there. I like the 80's over the 90's.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AFBrat77

@KungfuKitten:

1977-1984 was fantastic! But the same could be said for late 80's music through mid-90's as well.

late 90's and on....meh

Personally I think the best music came from the 1966-1971 period, that time period featured a tremendous burst of inspired energy. The Beatles motivated so many other bands to be at their best. So much of the good music that came after (other than Rap, see 1977-1984 for that) was simply a derivative from that period.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@poarstman said:

There's always good as there is bad stuff in mainstream media .. it doesn't matter the time frame

True but when the bad stuff is the majority of the music it's becomes a problem.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 270 Posts

@warmblur said:
@poarstman said:

True but when the bad stuff is the majority of the music it's becomes a problem.

@warmblur said:
@poarstman said:

well you got a point...

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1204 Posts

I have a soft spot for 90s pop music. Britney, boy bands etc

I also like Disturbed, Korn etc.

Sue me :D

The biggest issue I see with modern music is hip hop. Anytime I hear any form of hip hop like in some random video or subjected to it when in public I want to barf. I'm guessing it's been this way for the past 10 - 15 years.

I like stuff from the 90s like you hear in GTA San Andreas and also early and mid 2000s in NFS games and Midnight Club. But hip hop of today .... *vomit*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@my_user_name said:

I have a soft spot for 90s pop music. Britney, boy bands etc

I also like Disturbed, Korn etc.

Sue me :D

The biggest issue I see with modern music is hip hop. Anytime I hear any form of hip hop like in some random video or subjected to it when in public I want to barf. I'm guessing it's been this way for the past 10 - 15 years.

I like stuff from the 90s like you hear in GTA San Andreas and also early and mid 2000s in NFS games and Midnight Club. But hip hop of today .... *vomit*

I like Korn's first 2 albums and Disturbed have some pretty kick ass songs not all Nu Metal was bad.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@npiet1: "No you are just getting older"

But he says he enjoys 60s music.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#31 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@judaspete: This is 100% off topic, but I just wanted to say that I wholeheartedly support your choice of avatar.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: Well then I wholeheartedly support your taste in video games :)

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

The first time I heard Champaign Supernova, I knew music was about to start to suck again. That's all I gotta say.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The last decade and then some has been mostly trash.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shmiity

@br0kenrabbit: Wtf, Whats the Story Morning Glory has like 6 absolute slams on it. Supernova being one of them

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 br0kenrabbit

@Shmiity said:

@br0kenrabbit: Wtf, Whats the Story Morning Glory has like 6 absolute slams on it. Supernova being one of them

Oasis sucks. Fight me, brah.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

No, music just changes. Radiohead and Muse rose to prominence during this time and they are some of my favorites.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 br0kenrabbit

@HoolaHoopMan said:

No, music just changes. Radiohead and Muse rose to prominence during this time and they are some of my favorites.

Radiohead I can give you, they're incredibly capable of reinventing themselves with each release. But Muse is about the most bland and banal shit ever.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Radiohead I can give you, they're incredibly capable of reinventing themselves with each release. But Muse is about the most bland and banal shit ever.

To each their own. If anything I'll say that the advent of Nu-metal is where I'll say sh*t got bad for my tastes.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shmiity

@br0kenrabbit: I thought everything after Morning Glory sucked, so I cant really fight you. I just think that album in particular was up there with pinnacle brit rock. Even though it is half amazing and half crappy butt-rock

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#41 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@judaspete: I actually just did an article for that site I write for about how Viewtiful Joe needs a comeback. Seriously, if Capcom refuses to do anything with it, they should sell the rights to Platinum. Kamiya has said he would love to make a proper VJ3. I just hate how they're holding on to these cult classic, and now much loved IPs and doing nothing with them, like with Okami, or Konami with literally all of their IPs.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AFBrat77

yes