This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

Hello my friends. Having very fond memories of this movie, I watched it today on skygo. It still seems exceedingly good to me in many respects. The sequels I didn't like at all but the first movie just seems really great.

I was perturbed when googled it see a 56% on rotten tomatoes which indicated "somewhat shit" (I'm paraphrasing).

Whats your opinion on this 1998 Vampire action movie?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Was great back then.

2 sucked but 3 wasn't that bad

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Maybe it being a brainless action movie is why it's considered bad. It's certainly a bad movie. It has pretty bad acting, awful plot, and it's incredibly cheesy. But that's what makes it fun to watch.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

I really enjoyed Blade 1 and 2, the first was only slightly better than the sequel. Still haven't seen 3 yet.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

It's a good movie.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

1= leaning towards shit

2= above average

3= complete shit

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup

@KHAndAnime said:

Maybe it being a brainless action movie is why it's considered bad. It's certainly a bad movie. It has pretty bad acting, awful plot, and it's incredibly cheesy. But that's what makes it fun to watch.

Disagree with your opinion. Stephen Dorff was a great villain who put up a great performance. They made him fairly intelligent and punk like villain and went as far as to have a dichotomy within the circle of vampires of new age VS old age. It wasn't simply "all of them VS blade".

Kris Kristofferson as the old mentor gave a great performance as well. All this ridiculous shit going on and he gives his lines with earnest.

Same as well with the female lead, while she wasn't brillaint, she was serviceable and didn't get in the way. By contrast with something like the Batman movies (which are generally considers top spot of superhero movies) with Vicki Vale, Chase Meridian and Rachel Dawes just tended to be annoying cunts.

Wesley Snipes as a dark brooding character as well, great. Compare that to Christian Bales cookie monster.

The movie seems to balance quite well, stupid fun, with serous ton. Again, take for example "The Dark Rises" in which Cat woman disappears and Christian Bale blunts out "so dats what dat feels likes" it's suppose to be a funny moment but it's just shit compared to the gold Snipes belts out.

Loading Video...

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

1st one was great.

2nd one was meh.

3rd one was crap.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Blade 1 was great

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime

@uninspiredcup said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Wesley Snipes as a dark brooding character as well, great. Compare that to Christian Bales cookie monster.

We just have different tastes. Wesley Snipes is difficult to take seriously. Christian Bale is actually quite an actor and does a lot with the Batman role. All Wesley Snipes is good for is spouting one-liners.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

First one was great and quite enjoyed the other 2 (although I felt the 3rd was trying too hard). Rewatched them last year and still enjoyed them as much as the first time. No, it's not a complex, food-for-thought movie but a lot of media today pretends to be so in order to let some pseudo-intellectuals watch a very basic plot and congratulate themselves on being able to follow its intricacies (Like half of the Game of Thrones crowd)

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Its been ages since I watched the Blade trilogy but I remember the fact that they were enjoyable vampire movies quite well. Snipes plays his role quite well and his aide was good too. The plot was decent enough not to make your mind feel numbed and the action was excellent. The third movie was a bit cheesy though and it was mainly intended to milk the franchise a little further.

However, Interview with a Vampire blows the Blade trilogy out of the water. Its what all vampire movies need to aspire for.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I didn't watch it when it first came out but only a year ago so maybe that's why I found it meh.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

Nah, man. The whole Blade trilogy is lots of fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@GazaAli: That reminds me; never watched Interview With The Vampire from start to finish; caught it on tv several times but only halfway through. Should really watch the whole thing.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GazaAli

@korvus said:

@GazaAli: That reminds me; never watched Interview With The Vampire from start to finish; caught it on tv several times but only halfway through. Should really watch the whole thing.

I highly recommend it, its an excellent vampire movie. The atmosphere is really dark and authentically grim throughout the movie. It has this feeling of despair about it. Also the plot is solid with no cheesy vampire tropes and whatnot.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

I liked it, Wesley Snipes is underrated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@GazaAli: It's one of my wife's favourite books and she says the movie was really well done as well =)

@LittleMac19: I agree =)

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

The 1st one is not bad. Just the 1st one though

EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts

Blade is fun, Blade 2 is fun, Blade: Trinity can suck a fat one.

Their take on Dracula was neat, making him an ancient Sumerian warlord, problem is, he looks like a backup dancer for J-Lo or some other shitty pop singer.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well it stared Wesley Snipes so it definitely wasn't good

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

It was pretty good. Frost was the man!

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Blade's story was sharp and its special effects were cutting edge for their time. So, anyone trying to take a slice out of this film in order to bolster some argument that it's bad needs to cut it out!

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#24 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I like 1 and 2 but 3 was god awful. Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel were the worst casting decisions they could have made.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KHAndAnime

@BluRayHiDef said:

Blade's story was sharp and its special effects were cutting edge for their time. So, anyone trying to take a slice out of this film in order to bolster some argument that it's bad needs to cut it out!

Assuming you aren't just trying to create a pun-fest, what's so sharp about the story? What makes the story deep compared to something like... A Tale of Two Cities?

And do special effects make a movie good? Last time I checked, they were rather irrelevant to the quality of a movie.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup

@KHAndAnime said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Assuming you aren't just trying to create a pun-fest, what's so sharp about the story? What makes the story deep compared to something like... A Tale of Two Cities?

And do special effects make a movie good? Last time I checked, they were rather irrelevant to the quality of a movie.

Depends on the movie. If we are talking about something like Jane Austen's sense and sensibility, then yea, irrelevant.

Something like Lord Of The Rings or Jurassic Park, very very important. The most important aspect? No. But still, super important.

I'd say not so much for blade though. It's mostly choreographed hand to hand combat with a few effect here and there but nothing anywhere near as heavy as the two movies mentioned above.

Blade 2 is far more effect heavy but we aren't talking about that. So, eh.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KHAndAnime

@uninspiredcup said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Depends on the movie. If we are talking about something like Jane Austen's sense and sensibility, then yea, irrelevant.

Something like Lord Of The Rings or Jurassic Park, very very important. The most important aspect? No. But still, super important.

I'd say not so much for blade though. It's mostly choreographed hand to hand combat with a few effect here and there but nothing anywhere near as heavy as the two movies mentioned above.

Blade 2 is far more effect heavy but we aren't talking about that. So, eh.

They're certainly more relevant for some movies than others. Poor special effects can bring a movie down, but having good special effects doesn't purely make a movie good (IMO). Either way, they aren't hugely relevant - some of the best regarded movies have poor special effects compared to movies being released today. Even Evil Dead had relatively poor special effects for when the movie came out, despite the practical effects taking a ton of effort on their behalves.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@korvus said:

Interview with the Vampire was an okay movie, but holy crap is it looooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GazaAli

@BluRayHiDef said:

Is it because Snipes is black?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BluRayHiDef

@KHAndnime said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I was trying to create a pun-fest. :P

However, Blade was revolutionary. It was the first comic-book based film of the modern era and it was the first film to use bullet-time (which is falsely attributed to The Matrix). As for its story, the idea of a Human-Vampire Hybrid who chooses to fight against the vicious aspect of his nature as well as combat the villainous members of his "half-species" is pretty profound; Blade isn't just a mindless action flick.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BluRayHiDef

@GazaAli said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Is it because Snipes is black?

Honestly, no.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

Actually that's something I like about the movie as well. Race (other than fictional vampire breeds) is never brought up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@jasean79: I felt that way too when I first watched it but it's only 2 hours. Last month I watched the extended version of the LOTR trilogy in one day...now that was long....

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BluRayHiDef

Blade was bad, as in badass! Watching the half-breed Bulletproofed Black brute brandishing a blade and beating down blood-drinking blokes was the best thing since Burton's Batman!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44553 Posts

Not sure how it holds up but I remember it being pretty cool in its time. Didn't much care for the sequels myself either.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Yes it was a bad film, it's predictible and cheesy from start to finish the same as -- as far as I can recall -- every other comic book to movie adaption.

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

I liked one and two. Snipes was good but the villains of one and two were both "worthy" - evil, bad-ass, nasty and deserving of killing. That's sort of what you expect from this type of movie - that the hero or anti-hero has a worthy foe. Without it (3) it's just a long stupid movie with a lot of action.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

It was good for what it was. Holds up better than some supernatural action flicks though.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Was great back then.

Wait what what what? Blade Trinity was one of the worse movies I have ever seen.. How could you say the second one sucked but liked the third?

That being said, the first Blade is a comic classic and really one of the first big successes that led to comic book movie boom that is going on now.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@MonsieurX said:

Was great back then.

Wait what what what? Blade Trinity was one of the worse movies I have ever seen.. How could you say the second one sucked but liked the third?

That being said, the first Blade is a comic classic and really one of the first big successes that led to comic book movie boom that is going on now.

Never said "I liked" Trinity. Just less bad than the 2nd one

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

The first Blade movie is the best out of the bunch.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Blade movie. I hardly recall much of 2 though I did see it from start to finish. And 3 was decent...